Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I want the new setting to be Spelljammer after the teases in the last book. Eberron would also be pretty okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I really want them to do a Spelljammer book, I'm not hugely interested in DMing but if magic space ships are involved I know I could make a fun game out of it.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

gradenko_2000 posted:

aren't most "pop culture" examples of flaming arrows used to set poo poo on fire anyway?

The real answer to the flaming arrow question is to go for it if it would be awesome.

I don't know why people get hung up on realism in a game featuring elves and dragons and wizards. Wizards can fly over a canyon with magic with no problems, but if the fighter tries to jump the canyon suddenly he needs a natural 20 or he plummets because realism.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I can sort of understand, the internal fiction does need to match, but yeah remember the first rule of gaming is "Maximum Game Fun" Your there to have a good time, not to piss each other off.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Secondary 5th level character just had their eyes torn out. What spell options do I have to fix this? We have a 9th level party too so not too limited in access to magic.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Cassa posted:

Secondary 5th level character just had their eyes torn out. What spell options do I have to fix this? We have a 9th level party too so not too limited in access to magic.

Lesser Restoration cures blindness. Depends if the GM rules that losing your eyes is like losing a limb though, as that would need Regenerate which is 7th level.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Razakai posted:

Lesser Restoration cures blindness. Depends if the GM rules that losing your eyes is like losing a limb though, as that would need Regenerate which is 7th level.
I'd say having no eyes is beyond the reach of lesser resto.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
where we're going, we won't need eyes to see

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Wyvernil posted:

The real answer to the flaming arrow question is to go for it if it would be awesome.

I don't know why people get hung up on realism in a game featuring elves and dragons and wizards. Wizards can fly over a canyon with magic with no problems, but if the fighter tries to jump the canyon suddenly he needs a natural 20 or he plummets because realism.

Isn't that the cool v word all the nerds use? I think for immersion sake, physics still generally work despite elves and wizards so that we can all relate to the game. There are games where they don't, I guess... but ... don't have your fighter jump a canyon. You will plummet because gravity is still a thing in fantasyland.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think the argument between mastershakeman and his GM was about whether it ever actually happened, not about whether it could work or whether it should be allowed in game. Those are three almost completely unrelated arguments.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Cassa posted:

Best option imo is to go full Zatoichi and just be a blind badass and also masseuse.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Firstborn posted:

Isn't that the cool v word all the nerds use? I think for immersion sake, physics still generally work despite elves and wizards so that we can all relate to the game. There are games where they don't, I guess... but ... don't have your fighter jump a canyon. You will plummet because gravity is still a thing in fantasyland.

The problem is that someone doing literally magic is ok and can simply be declared but jumping a little farther than is technically feasible is impossible, and even jumping a long, but completely reasonable distance is like a 50/50 shot at best

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I know jumping wasn't exactly the point of this conversation to begin with, but I did want to say that the jumping rules in the PHB are dumb. 16 Str describes a person of exceptional physical fitness; 18 Str is near-Herculean. You're telling me these people can only jump that distance in feet? I know the goal was to simplify and reduce, but that's ludicrous. More accurate would be to have a 10' jump at 10 Str, +5 per ability modifier. That puts 18 Str at a long jump distance of 30', which is almost exactly on par with the current world record long jump. Same thing with the high jump, start with 5' and add +1 per mod. Technically you hit the world record at 16 Str but who gives a poo poo.

This lets you do some pretty insane stuff with the Jump spell and the Boots of Striding and Springing, but that's okay. It's more fun that way.

E: Apparently the high jump listed in the PHB is 3+mod, which isn't bad. I do think you should be exceeding human limitations by the time you hit 20 Str.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Cassa posted:

RAW, it seems like it’d require a 7th level spell like Regenerate or Resurrection to regrow missing body parts. There’s also a common magic item in Xanathar’s called Ersatz Eye, which is literally just a magic replacement eye (but which requires attunement, so, ehhh).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CeallaSo posted:

I know jumping wasn't exactly the point of this conversation to begin with, but I did want to say that the jumping rules in the PHB are dumb. 16 Str describes a person of exceptional physical fitness; 18 Str is near-Herculean. You're telling me these people can only jump that distance in feet? I know the goal was to simplify and reduce, but that's ludicrous. More accurate would be to have a 10' jump at 10 Str, +5 per ability modifier. That puts 18 Str at a long jump distance of 30', which is almost exactly on par with the current world record long jump. Same thing with the high jump, start with 5' and add +1 per mod. Technically you hit the world record at 16 Str but who gives a poo poo.

This lets you do some pretty insane stuff with the Jump spell and the Boots of Striding and Springing, but that's okay. It's more fun that way.

E: Apparently the high jump listed in the PHB is 3+mod, which isn't bad. I do think you should be exceeding human limitations by the time you hit 20 Str.
What's weird is that the high jump's 3+mod is your base, but you can jump higher with an athletics roll. There's no such provision for jumping longer during a long jump, just higher to clear obstacles. So you can't even argue that the current 30 foot record can be represented by someone with expertise in athletics making a good roll on the day. Being good at jump only makes you better at jumping up, not jumping further.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It always amuses me that D&D breaks down jumping into actual feet. Even 4e did that. Like, would you break a knowledge check down to its precise lexile range or card index? Would you break a social check down to Myers-Briggs compatibility rubrics? The point is whether or not you clear the obstacle and how difficult it is; I understand a need for consistency but the system is so inconsistent elsewhere it just seems like needless bean counting.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
Why isn't your character's running long jump distance determined by your speed at all? I don't have a specific formula in mind but at the risk of being too complicated I feel like your STR should determine what percentage of your movespeed you can running long jump.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Baby T. Love posted:

Why isn't your character's running long jump distance determined by your speed at all? I don't have a specific formula in mind but at the risk of being too complicated I feel like your STR should determine what percentage of your movespeed you can running long jump.

Long jump is (Speed+(5ft*Athletics Bonus))/2 rounded down?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baby T. Love posted:

It kind of is, but in a hilarious manner.

bewilderment posted:

Possibly not a Murphy depending on intended result:

In DnD5e, you can jump horizontally a distance equal to your Strength score in feet as long as you have a ten-foot run up. This means your average starting human human fighter is moving 16 feet (five meters) on a long jump with a ten-foot run-up. Not bad, that's half the Olympic record with a much longer run-up.

Jumping costs movement, to prevent everyone jumping everywhere - essentially, if your speed is 30feet, then you can act and then move only 30 feet per round, regardless of whether that movement is walking or jumping.

The jump spell triples a creatures jump distance.
This spell does not, however, increase your movement speed in any way (even though the material component is a grasshopper's hind leg).

If you are in combat and have 16ish STR, and you have jump cast on you, and then take your action to hit something or whatever and then run fifteen feet and then jump, you end your turn suspended in mid-air.
When your turn comes around again presumably you drift through the air for the remaining six seconds until you touch down, your movement expended, despite not having actually used your legs since last turn.

The presumption, then is that Jump does not actually make your legs better at jumping, but makes your body more resistant to gravity.
Follow the link, it gets weirder.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 9, 2018

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Mendrian posted:

It always amuses me that D&D breaks down jumping into actual feet. Even 4e did that. Like, would you break a knowledge check down to its precise lexile range or card index? Would you break a social check down to Myers-Briggs compatibility rubrics? The point is whether or not you clear the obstacle and how difficult it is; I understand a need for consistency but the system is so inconsistent elsewhere it just seems like needless bean counting.

I've never heard of those things, but I have heard of jumps measured in feet

I'm exaggerating before Splicer comes to call me out on it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Here Lies Venomfang: he died after a cleric crit dusted him with several Guiding Bolts and a barbarian made three consecutive grapple checks and stabbed him in the rear end while he tried to fly away. When he died in midair with the barbarian still grappled with him, the question was asked “is there any way I can turn him to where I am on top of him so i can safely ride his corpse down?” to which another player said “you can turn him like a key with your sword in the anus.”

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Been a while.

My Barbarian is now level 20, rocking a Belt of Storm Giant Strength. Wanna know what my long jump is, with a running start?

29 feet. A foot shy of the real world record. With 29 strength. I'm not saying I should be able to Hulk Jump, but man at least let me be Herculean when I almost have the max possible modifier.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Why not just get the boots of the springing and the striding? They triple your jump distances

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

seems like it'd be better to just use that money you'd spend on the boots by just getting a bunch of potions or scrolls to cast jump on you because that way you're not wasting an attunement slot on a pair of boots that let you jump as far as you'd think someone with literal demigod stats should be able to.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Arthil posted:

Been a while.

My Barbarian is now level 20, rocking a Belt of Storm Giant Strength. Wanna know what my long jump is, with a running start?

29 feet. A foot shy of the real world record. With 29 strength. I'm not saying I should be able to Hulk Jump, but man at least let me be Herculean when I almost have the max possible modifier.

What does the character weigh? Because your max lift, which from memory means what you can pick up over your head and take a few shaky steps, is like 870lbs (~400kg). The world record axle press (lift a bigass weight from the ground to over your head) is 216kg, and the dude who did it (Eddie Hall) weighed like 180kg (400lbs) at the time.

For reference, when he was filming the Conan movies, Ahnuld was like 105kg (~230lbs). So if you're around that size, you're so unbelievably strong for your weight that the ability to "hulk jump" wouldn't be close to the weirdest thing you've got going on.

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009
I get that some writers made big hulky guys jump a big distance enough that people now want their hulky characters to do it in their fantasy role playing game, but big strong dudes in real life are not better at jumping long distances in real life. I guess the real problem with the long jumping RAW is that they seem to embrace "Strength makes you jump big" just enough to be at odds with the real world and not enough to empower the player in a fantasy world. Pick one!

edit: I did some brainstorming and came up with this:
"A character can running long jump up to 1/2 of their movement speed, and no more than double their Strength."

This allows Barbarians specifically to jump further based on their 40 base movement. When taking the dash action and with 20 Strength, they can jump up to 40 feet. If they can get their movespeed up to 120 by magical means or by choosing aspect of the Eagle for Dash as a bonus action, they could jump 58 feet with 29 strength.

Potential problem:
This model allows anyone with 15 Strength to jump the real world record in a single dash.

(Late Edit: The following considers that the character can Dash at any time to increase their movespeed so that they can be used in combat as well. I don't think RAW really considers movespeed outside of combat but whatever. In this way I guess you could also use this to factor standing long jump by not allowing Dash.)

So maybe: "A character can running long jump up to 1/3 of their movement speed, and no more than double their Strength"
and then give Barbarians a Class Feature at some point: "You can running long jump up to 1/2 of your movement speed, and no more than triple your Strength"
and then later upgrade that Class Feature near level 20: "You can running long jump up to triple your Strength in feet, but no more than your movement speed"

I'm very proud of this, so please poke holes in it.

Baby T. Love fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 11, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
setting aside how incredibly pedantic it is to try to impose strict realism into DnD, it's also counterproductive to like DnD because it's "rules light", and then inject physics calculations into it anyway.

Assign a DC - 15 is "Medium". Have them make an Athletics check. If they pass it, they leap it.

For gently caress's sake.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 10, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Baby T. Love posted:

I get that some writers made big hulky guys jump a big distance enough that people now want their hulky characters to do it in their fantasy role playing game, but big strong dudes in real life are not better at jumping long distances in real life. I guess the real problem with the long jumping RAW is that they seem to embrace "Strength makes you jump big" just enough to be at odds with the real world and not enough to empower the player in a fantasy world. Pick one!

"A character can running long jump up to 1/2 of their movement speed, and no more than double their Strength."

This allows Barbarians specifically to jump further based on their 40 base movement. When taking the dash action and with 20 Strength, they can jump up to 40 feet. If they can get their movespeed up to 120 by magical means or by choosing aspect of the Eagle for Dash as a bonus action, they could jump 58 feet with 29 strength.

Potential problem:
This model allows anyone with 15 Strength to jump the real world record in a single dash.

So maybe: "A character can running long jump up to 1/3 of their movement speed, and no more than double their Strength"
and then give Barbarians a Class Feature at some point: "You can running long jump up to 1/2 of your movement speed, and no more than triple your Strength"
and then later upgrade that Class Feature near level 20: "You can running long jump up to triple your Strength in feet, but no more than your movement speed"

you're an idiot

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

setting aside how incredibly pedantic it is to try to impose strict realism into DnD, it's also counterproductive to like DnD because it's "rules light", and then inject physics calculations into it anyway.

Assign a DC - 15 is "Medium". Have them an Athletics check. If they pass it, they leap it.

For gently caress's sake.

Some people like rules and charts and modeling some form of realism into DnD. Some people not only want to do the big jump, but understand how they are able to do the big jump when others can't. For some, roleplaying is a pedant's game. You act like I'm imposing these rules at your table.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baby T. Love posted:

Potential problem:

This is fiddly enough to get in the way of half the people and inaccurate enough to piss off the other half. It's perfect for 5e!

Here's one: you can jump your passive athletics score at will. A standing start nets disadvantage. To jump further, roll athletics and beat the distance. You still have the "bard is the best jumper" problem but that's because expertise is hosed, ignore that and it works good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why not just you can jump 10 feet + your str score from a running start or something. So at 20 str you're jumping 30 feet , no rolling needed

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Baby T. Love posted:

Some people like rules and charts and modeling some form of realism into DnD. Some people not only want to do the big jump, but understand how they are able to do the big jump when others can't. For some, roleplaying is a pedant's game. You act like I'm imposing these rules at your table.

If you're gonna demand exhaustive physics simulations to explain how my goliath barbarian can leap a chasm, I'm gonna demand the same to explain how the loving dragons in the title of the game can fly.

But I'm guessing dragons never bullied Mike Mearls in high school.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

Why not just you can jump 10 feet + your str score from a running start or something. So at 20 str you're jumping 30 feet , no rolling needed
Because being able to jump 30 feet is less cool when a below average human can jump 10 + 8 = 18.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah if you want a game full of fiddly physics rules, power to you, but they should apply to all the characters not just half of them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah if you want a game full of fiddly physics rules, power to you, but they should apply to all the characters not just half of them.

TBF, fiddly physics already does not apply to Wizards because... *checks spellbook* I'll just alter the entirety of reality so that my corporeal self already exists on the other side of the ravine.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just want my dorf to jump over there and smash down with his big fuckoff hammer like muradin

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

Ignite Memories posted:

I just want my dorf to jump over there and smash down with his big fuckoff hammer like muradin

But do you punch the person and have a wacky bowling pin sound go off as well? This is important.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

God, if only.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Scenario: Me (Rad Wizard) and my buddy (a Fighter) get jumped by some gobbos.

If I try to shoot his gobbo with my Fire Bolt, does he provide cover against it? Can it hit him by accident? Does shooting his gobbo while I have one adjacent cause disadvantage since I'm "firing ranged out of melee"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well you see the problem with big hulky guys jumping far is that there's only one kind of strength in the game. Let me tell you about my new system that breaks strength down into its true, 23 constituent parts.