Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Plek posted:

The game desperately needs more mechs or variants or something. It's just wolverines, t-bolts, and spiders all the way down.

I could build a Banshee the size of the Argo out of all the Banshees I've murked

although if you install JK Variants you can get a Banshee-3S and put an AC/20 and 10(!) medium lasers on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Speaking of Mods, there's a really great one called Line of Sight somethingorother which colours the various types of LoS lines different colours. This is incredibly useful because you'll know instantly which of your shots is obstructed, direct fire or indirect fire.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Plek posted:

The game desperately needs more mechs or variants or something. It's just wolverines, t-bolts, and spiders all the way down.

Once the Harmony Gold lawsuit is worked out (which seems like it might be relatively soon), that almost certainly gets all the Unseen that already have MWO models, which will in particular diversify heavies a lot. I would guess they already have that mostly ready to go since the assets already exist and they clearly wanted to be able to use them. They might even change some of the story mission OPFORs around (I'd bet money that they wanted to put Victoria in a Marauder).

There's a couple other era-appropriate mechs that have MWO assets that they could put out in a future patch pretty easily, too. If nothing else adding stuff like the Crab, Vulcan and Assassin would give some more variety in mediums, and adding the Cyclops would at least make it so a 90 ton mech sensor contact isn't just obviously a Highlander.

So once they get done with the quality-of-life fixes they seem to want to do first, there's a decent amount of room for adding stuff without having to model new assets.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Someone familiar with TT remind me, isn't FF armor 1 slot per? This mod has it at 2, probably for balance reasons.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Plek posted:

Someone suggested I edit the .json files to manually adjust mech rarity and I did just that. I didn't know if 1 was most rare or if 5 was most rare so I just set everything to 3. The mech diversity has been great since I did that.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Thronde posted:

Someone familiar with TT remind me, isn't FF armor 1 slot per? This mod has it at 2, probably for balance reasons.

Yes and no. It's arranged one slot at a time, but if you use FF armor it's 14 total critical slots to allocate.

I think the mod designer just kind of decided, okay, with that as a baseline, about 2ish tons in savings from that is about normal, so that means each -.25 ton needs to be two slots or whatever. As a workaround for a system that doesn't exist in the game yet (armor types) it could be worse.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'll probably go into those files and do the same, I want to try making more of the lower tier missions (2.5-4 skulls) a single full health Heavy/maybe Assault and a swarm of vics and small lights. Pirate missions especially. I don't know of many pirate bands that ComStar is going to let stomp about sporting a full (but half health) assault lance.

EDIT: ^^^^^ That explains it, makes much more sense then. I was wondering, because I knew it was so many slots to have on it in MWO, but they only take 1 slot per. This actually works out better because I can fine tune mechs a bit more.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thronde posted:

The Inner Sphere mod and the Random travels Mods (which run together) make the sandbox mode the random mod introduces really good. Add in JKs Variants and Mharius weapons and it's like a totally different and brutal game.

Roguetech takes that and fast forwards to 3030 ish, with new mech models and such

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Which one was the one that made evasion also do damage reduction?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fraction Jackson posted:

Once the Harmony Gold lawsuit is worked out (which seems like it might be relatively soon), that almost certainly gets all the Unseen that already have MWO models, which will in particular diversify heavies a lot. I would guess they already have that mostly ready to go since the assets already exist and they clearly wanted to be able to use them. They might even change some of the story mission OPFORs around (I'd bet money that they wanted to put Victoria in a Marauder).

There's a couple other era-appropriate mechs that have MWO assets that they could put out in a future patch pretty easily, too. If nothing else adding stuff like the Crab, Vulcan and Assassin would give some more variety in mediums, and adding the Cyclops would at least make it so a 90 ton mech sensor contact isn't just obviously a Highlander.

So once they get done with the quality-of-life fixes they seem to want to do first, there's a decent amount of room for adding stuff without having to model new assets.

It's not so much new models, just having an algorithm to proc-gen loadouts would do a lot. I'm sure it's loving hard though. But man imagine if a pirate mech wasn't a pre-defined variant, but a procedural variant made out of whatever low quality poo poo the pirates have access to on whatever chassis you're encountering. I'm not even sure the system producing duds occasionally (ammo in CT, not enough heatsinks, bad brackets) would be such a bad thing - that's just Battletech.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

DatonKallandor posted:

It's not so much new models, just having an algorithm to proc-gen loadouts would do a lot. I'm sure it's loving hard though. But man imagine if a pirate mech wasn't a pre-defined variant, but a procedural variant made out of whatever low quality poo poo the pirates have access to on whatever chassis you're encountering. I'm not even sure the system producing duds occasionally (ammo in CT, not enough heatsinks, bad brackets) would be such a bad thing - that's just Battletech.

Or HBS could scan player's builds in multiplayer and save several of the popular ones for each mech and randomly use those builds in campaign mode.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

DatonKallandor posted:

I'm not sure if completely random loadouts would be the greatest move, but adding some of the common variants that aren't in the game yet would be nice, and maybe coming up with a few extra based on what seem like sensible field refits couldn't hurt either. Stuff like the WVR-6M, SHD-2K, TBT-5J/-5S/-7K, CN9-AH, HBK-4N/4J/4H/4SP, VND-1AA (even if it's extra bad)...all variants of stuff already in the game, and that's just mediums. You could probably squeeze another 30 or so options just adding existing canon variants of stuff already in the game. Some good, some bad, some real bad, but all of them give different looks and would greatly increase the variety in the OPFORs.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Maybe posted already but: https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1004231430292082689?s=19

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mechtoria 3 confirmed.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Crusader Mechs 3. Except all battles are fought Battletech style.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
it would be really rad if they used the Alpha Strike ruleset that IIRC PTN demoed in the Battletech LP for one mission. Would handle large forces a lot better than the standard rules

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Pycckuu posted:

Byzantine Cataphracts. :getin:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I would love a battletech paradox game if they brutally murdered groogy first

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fraction Jackson posted:

I'm not sure if completely random loadouts would be the greatest move, but adding some of the common variants that aren't in the game yet would be nice, and maybe coming up with a few extra based on what seem like sensible field refits couldn't hurt either. Stuff like the WVR-6M, SHD-2K, TBT-5J/-5S/-7K, CN9-AH, HBK-4N/4J/4H/4SP, VND-1AA (even if it's extra bad)...all variants of stuff already in the game, and that's just mediums. You could probably squeeze another 30 or so options just adding existing canon variants of stuff already in the game. Some good, some bad, some real bad, but all of them give different looks and would greatly increase the variety in the OPFORs.

That would probably require a tweak to salvage mechanics of some sort, to avoid players ending up with 2/3rds of 10 different variants of the same frame.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

OddObserver posted:

That would probably require a tweak to salvage mechanics of some sort, to avoid players ending up with 2/3rds of 10 different variants of the same frame.

... I fail to see the problem.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pycckuu posted:

How'd this fuckin count levy 25k mechs out of nowhere??

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

rt4 posted:

How'd this fuckin count levy 25k mechs out of nowhere??

Popped the "Rumors of a Star League Cache" event and hit the 10% chance to actually discover something rather than the 90% chance to waste half a year's worth of money "discovering" some drunken prospectors on the moon.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Comet events would be brutal.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Heartcatch posted:

Comet events would be brutal.

"[Planet] has seen a comet!"

It's a water delivery from the Ryan Cartel (-10,000,000 c-bills, +population on [planet])

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a MechWarrior calling himself Spectre has arrived at your command post...

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

nm im going nuts on mods, i'll be ok

Any thoughts on No Guts No Galaxy mod?

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 10, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Captain Foo posted:

a MechWarrior calling himself Spectre has arrived at your command post...

If Spectre isn't the boss fight for Solaris in the next mechwarrior game I'm going to riot.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

wiegieman posted:

If Spectre isn't the boss fight for Solaris in the next mechwarrior game I'm going to riot.

you beat him and you think you win, but suddenly two Arrow IVs slam into your CT out of nowhere

buckle up, fucko. It's Fen Cheng time.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Anyone else finding evasion/piloting to be complete garbage? It seems like no matter how many movement pips I build up on my pilot 8 character, I'll get tagged by multiple non-missile weapons a turn. I took 3 PPC shots on a pilot 8 character on a heavy mineral field. :negative:

If it didn't consistently happen, I'd just say RNG is just doing its thing, but it seems like this nonsense happens (except for the heavy mineral part) every map.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Pattonesque posted:

you beat him and you think you win, but suddenly two Arrow IVs slam into your CT out of nowhere

buckle up, fucko. It's Fen Cheng time.

I legitimately broke out in hives when you mentioned Arrows.

gently caress Feng Shui and gently caress starting right goddamn next to him in the championship.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Veryslightlymad posted:

Anyone else finding evasion/piloting to be complete garbage? It seems like no matter how many movement pips I build up on my pilot 8 character, I'll get tagged by multiple non-missile weapons a turn. I took 3 PPC shots on a pilot 8 character on a heavy mineral field. :negative:

If it didn't consistently happen, I'd just say RNG is just doing its thing, but it seems like this nonsense happens (except for the heavy mineral part) every map.

The RNG isn't really a RNG. There's combo breaker and streak breaker type penalties/bonuses depending on how things have been going. There's apparently ways to just game the system to guarantee headshots

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Psycho Landlord posted:

I legitimately broke out in hives when you mentioned Arrows.

gently caress Feng Shui and gently caress starting right goddamn next to him in the championship.

Fen Cheng is Kill On Sight every time, and that includes when you start next to Ricardo Vecchi and his dakkawolf or whoever had the Fafnir

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Always ko Fen Cheng's vulture first

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

On that note, is there a goonsensus on pilot skills?

My current impression is that early on when you fight with and against lights and mediums you want Evasion on everybody and a 2/2 split between Multiattack and Sensor Lock to take down those evasive pips fast; then as you move into heavies and assaults evasive pips are much less valuable and you want Breaching Shot + Bulwark for mechs that can exploit the gunnery skills (LRMs and ballistics) and Bulwark + Master Tactician for everybody else. Does that sound right?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Bulwark on everything, free entrenching for standing still. After that the other skills are up to personal taste. I enjoy breaching shot because it ignores guarded.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

NihilCredo posted:

My current impression is that early on when you fight with and against lights and mediums you want Evasion on everybody and a 2/2 split between Multiattack and Sensor Lock to take down those evasive pips fast; then as you move into heavies and assaults evasive pips are much less valuable and you want Breaching Shot + Bulwark for mechs that can exploit the gunnery skills (LRMs and ballistics) and Bulwark + Master Tactician for everybody else. Does that sound right?

The best way to avoid damage is to kill things very dead as quickly as possible, and the best way to do that is with called shots, so tactics are a good way to go.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

OddObserver posted:

I think you could do it pretty easily while also incorporating some other player wants I've seen. Something like:

1. Salvage pieces are per chassis rather than per variant;
2. Rebuilt chassis automatically go to storage and do not give you their weapons/components;
3. When you activate a mech from storage, you can either choose what variant to activate it as (using parts from your inventory), or as a "blank" chassis of that type with nothing equipped;
4. Activating a mech as a stock variant takes less time than building a new variant from scratch.

You could also make salvage slightly harder with this (requiring 4 or even 5 pieces and making pilot kills and possibly legs give appropriate amounts of extra parts), or leave it as-is.

Alternately you could have there be different campaign salvage settings and choose at campaign start; one could be the current way by variant, one could be the method above or something similar, maybe add an extra hard mode where salvage requires 6 or 8 pieces but the pieces you get remains the same as normal, and so on.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I pretty much always have my endgame kids as Bulwark/master Tactics combo. It's super addictive to be able to alpha strike all their assaults before they get a reaction.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NihilCredo posted:

Everything except Juggernaut (the only skill to do literally nothing for you when fighting an assault mech) is a pretty cool #8 skill to go for.

I think a big reason for all the threats to swap juggy with bulwark since before launch is because it's doomed to never stand out by comparison without making it REAL crazy, and the only way to say "See! See! People are taking it, therefore we did a good job!" is to force it as a pre-req to get actually does it's job bulwark.

Except for the fact more people would be building missile boats that don't need bullwark in the first place, rather than the mythical "If we take away good skill that encourages brawling, clearly they will brawl OUR way!". That rangefinder equipped Gauss+LRM highlander isn't exactly going to be getting shot at much by anything but LRMS and PPCs (if they can even see you) compared to a grasshopper punching an Atlas in the dick, after all.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Azhais posted:

The RNG isn't really a RNG. There's combo breaker and streak breaker type penalties/bonuses depending on how things have been going. There's apparently ways to just game the system to guarantee headshots

You're loving with me, right? That's idiotic and would create its own streak in the less likely direction. :psyduck: