Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry Salami posted:

I believe the original script was about Klingons, with the kid as a reverse Worf, but they decided to go for a new race for whatever reason in the final episode.
That would make total sense considering they specifically point out a lot of traits of the Talarian culture that are identical to Klingons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drink-Mix Man posted:

The original concept sounded like a cool idea: a kid raised by truly inhuman aliens. It got really watered down when they decided to make the aliens humanoid.

So basically Charlie X

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So I'm finally watching TOS for the first time. One thing I'm noticing is that there are a lot of shots of random crew members not giving a poo poo about what is going on. Like when somebody was trying to commit suicide, they just sit and stare at them. They only get up when the guy manages to stab himself.

the (20)60s were a wild time

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

So I'm finally watching TOS for the first time. One thing I'm noticing is that there are a lot of shots of random crew members not giving a poo poo about what is going on. Like when somebody was trying to commit suicide, they just sit and stare at them. They only get up when the guy manages to stab himself.

That poo poo probably happens all the time

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The bystander effect.

Edit: I'd love to see an episode where they pick one of the crew and court-martial them, and exactly this is mentioned.

"You knew the man was an active threat to the health and safety of the entire command crew, and yet did nothing to stop him?"

"I thought somebody else would do something! And I was right, by the way!"

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 10, 2018

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Mister, you stood by and... watched while Yeoman Genovese was... brutally murdered in the corridor, and did nothing!

It took her six...teen minutes to die!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so clearly the romulans had terrible fashion sense even in the TOS era.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The two dominant political parties on Romulus were the helmeted Legion and the Sovereign Sholder-pads. There was a political shift in the early 24th century.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Like, it was the 80s. Of course they had garish jackets with hugely padded shoulders.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The spiky Sam Brown belts faction started to come in towards the end of the 24th century.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
how tf did more people not kill themselves on voyager? especially as the years went on

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everyone is probably high out of their minds.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

how tf did more people not kill themselves on voyager? especially as the years went on

Hell is real and it's an eternity with Neelix.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That would have been an interesting "enemy": literally dozens of crew members succumbing to depression and anxiety, to the point where running the ship becomes an issue due to staffing alone.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

That would have been an interesting "enemy": literally dozens of crew members succumbing to depression and anxiety, to the point where running the ship becomes an issue due to staffing alone.

"We've never needed a crew before"

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Low Desert Punk posted:

people would be doing the cartoon thing where they draw faces on rocks and bags of flour and put them in chairs around a dinner table to pretend they're friends, but with Holodeck characters

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

galenanorth posted:

people would be doing the cartoon thing where they draw faces on rocks and bags of flour and put them in chairs around a dinner table to pretend they're friends, but with Holodeck characters

Huh, I guess we actually saw that happening in a way. They were almost all rear end-deep in some program or another, I guess it's just a surrogate for home and friends that aren't space pajama assholes.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I never really got the episode where they disciplined the guys who really didn't want to be there until they got on board with the janeway doctrine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Voyager seems to be pretty cool. Usually it's someone else in danger, not them. They seem to be taking their time and stopping to explore yet still going ahead of schedule and finding plenty of shortcuts. They are all arrogant Starfleets and probably figure they'll make it back in not much longer than a normal mission.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I am about to meet a very nice man for coffee. When I am done, I’m hoping I will have some photos to share.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I am about to meet a very nice man for coffee.

Glory to you. And your hooooouse roast

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Voyager stinks and you guys shouldn't watch it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Voyager stinks and you guys shouldn't watch it.

That's part of why I do watch it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This makes me want to give you some kind of quantum high-five/slap in the face so good job

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

I am about to meet a very nice man for raktajino.

Ftfy

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What else can be said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmNjtyw5Js

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did he smell of lilac?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Did you throw him through a plate glass window and claim his throne for yourself?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I am impossibly jealous, Wise Fwom Yo Gwave.

At long last, you got to experience Bij firsthand.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Please tell me that's his own ballcap he decided to wear that day.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

I told him about the Sorcerer’s Apprentice idea that was mentioned when I first brought this up to the thread (forgive me for not digging for the glory to you and your mouse post, but you know who you are), and he told me that he once tried out for a role in the Hunchback of Norte Dame and apparently was a runner-Up for the role. He did think the eyes would have matched the sorcerer, indeed!

He flipped when I brought out A Klingon Challenge.

He also mentioned that he still has his framed photo of him with Stephen Hawking that he got out of the “luck of the draw” because Hawking loved Klingons and Bob was the only one available in costume in the next soundstage from where they filmed the poker game.

He had to ask me whether Kavok had an apostrophe. It was adorable!

Anyhow, trip report: Robert O’Reilly is great, and he’s got stories for days. Love that man.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Please tell me that's his own ballcap he decided to wear that day.

That is his ballcap, and he used it to help us identify him!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

help me out here, which one is the klingon

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Just emptyquote this for the rest of this page and all of the next.

Then goldmine.

P. S. So goddamn jealous

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uh. I got a free week of All Access and finally got around to watching STD. Although I'm personally finding it not terrible, it feels like it's made by people who wanted to make a prestige Star Trek series without understanding "prestige" tv or what people like about Star Trek.

Also I find it hilarious that they redesigned the poo poo out of the Klingons but decided that Vulcans, Tellarites, and Andorians were fine the way they are. The mirror stuff is better than anything else on the show yet but I've got four episodes left.

It's not so terrible that it couldn't be salvaged come season 2 but if the writing and production staff remains largely the same I won't be holding my breath.

Does anyone here know why they felt the need to jazz up the Klingons in both JJTrek and STD? Did the Motion Picture just set a precedent? Anytime Trek is revived the Klingons have to look different?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Honest to Kahless what was the official word on this? I'm sure it's been brought up plenty but I seriously don't remember.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

So uh. I got a free week of All Access and finally got around to watching STD. Although I'm personally finding it not terrible, it feels like it's made by people who wanted to make a prestige Star Trek series without understanding "prestige" tv or what people like about Star Trek.

Also I find it hilarious that they redesigned the poo poo out of the Klingons but decided that Vulcans, Tellarites, and Andorians were fine the way they are. The mirror stuff is better than anything else on the show yet but I've got four episodes left.

It's not so terrible that it couldn't be salvaged come season 2 but if the writing and production staff remains largely the same I won't be holding my breath.

Does anyone here know why they felt the need to jazz up the Klingons in both JJTrek and STD? Did the Motion Picture just set a precedent? Anytime Trek is revived the Klingons have to look different?

they dumb

Really, I think redesigning Trek at this point is a huge vanity move and a terrible risk, which they basically failed

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

they dumb

Really, I think redesigning Trek at this point is a huge vanity move and a terrible risk, which they basically failed

It's weird because I think the ships and tech stuff looks mostly fine and I'm okay with moving past the idea that everything needs to perpetually look like the 1960s in that era of Trek. But yeesh. Those Klingons look rough and it constantly takes me out of it, even though they are still speaking Klingon and ranting about Kahless all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I told him about the Sorcerer’s Apprentice idea that was mentioned when I first brought this up to the thread (forgive me for not digging for the glory to you and your mouse post, but you know who you are), and he told me that he once tried out for a role in the Hunchback of Norte Dame and apparently was a runner-Up for the role. He did think the eyes would have matched the sorcerer, indeed!

:swoon:

Fuckin' awesome, dude!!