Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i write containerized business middleware solutions and containerized business middleware solutions accessories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I like when I'm excited about my work and check out at 5

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HappyHippo posted:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

HappyHippo posted:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Beamed posted:

healthy to have hobbies, op

you can have both though

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

being excited about work doesnt mean working over 40 hours a week

it just means you have a different attitude than "oh god work is so boring i can't wait to check out of here, mondays, right?"

not that those jobs are easy to find

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
to steal a line from i don’t remember who: in programming, people underestimate both how much a generalist can do and how deep some specialities can go

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh boy, more lovely nerd tribalism and purposefully talking past everyone.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

HappyHippo posted:

the best post in the last 2 page

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

mystes posted:

No they're just trying to stamp out people with a "bad culture fit*" wink wink nudge nudge.

*: People older than 40, minorities, women.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

HappyHippo posted:

thats the dream isnt it. ive never experienced that in 20 years so ill settle for work not being actively horrible & checking out at five.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Krankenstyle posted:

hell yeah, the only way to work

(spitting out code optional)

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

my real hope for this though is that it leads to languages that aren't just the same underlying concepts with a different syntax. i can't help but feel like modern gpus are both structured enough and flexible enough that it should be possible to hide more of their details and heterogeneity, while still generating code that's meant to run on a gpu. i don't expect it to magically make a sequential algorithm parallel or figure out how to split and sync thread groups for me, but sometimes i feel things like figuring out optimal memory layouts or even what gets loaded in shared memory are things a compiler could do. maybe some of those higher level languages already do. time to look into this

hi and hello.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Thermopyle posted:

how it must suck to work at a place where you're not excited about the work

yeah, i wouldn't describe myself as "excited", no. the job's usually ok and it pays the bills.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Krankenstyle posted:

thats the dream isnt it. ive never experienced that in 20 years so ill settle for work not being actively horrible & checking out at five.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
that's not entirely true. but the projects i have been excited about have all been canned and i have been sent back to the maintaining-legacy-software mines

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

HappyHippo posted:

it’s so good

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I work >9 hours on average sadly, but the job is for the most part fun and pays decently well at least. Am relatively content with that.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

carry on then posted:

very extremely yospos imo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

carry on then posted:

*party rock anthem starts playing*

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
https://hatcat.com/?p=48

sigh... lmao... sigh

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
why is that guy so convinced the c++ stdlib needs a graphics api that won't be any good on any platform

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

greetings! and thanks for this

unfortunately i now have a new problem which is that when i come in tomorrow morning i'll be way more interested in checking this stuff in more details than actually doing my job and translating papers to working hlsl code

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
going home at 5 even when you're enjoying what you're working on and wouldn't mind continuing to work for a few hours means you get to be excited to go into work the next day and that's a pretty amazing feeling

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

BobHoward posted:

why is that guy so convinced the c++ stdlib needs a graphics api that won't be any good on any platform

cognitive dissonance plus sunk cost fallacy? he's put a bunch of work into it therefore it must be something valuable that the world needs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol at “enjoying work”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

several thousand hours of work went into it!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
someone make a joke stdlib proposal for turtle graphics for the next C++ committee meeting

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

support both the Apple II’s weird interleaved high-resolution graphics and HPGL with it

emphasize its extensibility to robot turtles and TOPO

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

support both the Apple II’s weird interleaved high-resolution graphics and HPGL with it

emphasize its extensibility to robot turtles and TOPO

lol

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Plorkyeran posted:

cognitive dissonance plus sunk cost fallacy? he's put a bunch of work into it therefore it must be something valuable that the world needs

i read some more of his blog and it sounds like (a) he is self-aware of being a somewhat sheltered c++ nerd with little experience outside that sphere and (b) is envious of other languages with broad libraries that get new programmers into them because they have the kitchen sink at their fingertips, hence his enthusiasm for adding something like this to c++

my friend, i have bad news for you re: the suitability and desirability of c++ as a language for newbie programmers

(incoming comical emptyquote with newbie struck out)

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

lol at “enjoying work”
enjoying work would be a lot cooler if it wasn't for the sole purpose of enriching a neofeudal lord

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

BobHoward posted:

(incoming comical emptyquote with newbie struck out)

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

eschaton posted:

someone make a joke stdlib proposal for turtle graphics for the next C++ committee meeting

did you not see the diet_graphics proposal? because that's basically what it is.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
graphics in stdlib was a terrible mistake. At the same time, there is something to be said for having at least basic canvas for student-level experiments, and SG15 is essentially useless, so the chance of solving that particular problem with package manager is 0. :shrug:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
lmao what’s the status of package/dependency management in c++? is it still “go gently caress yourself”?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
It is great, there are like 5 different package managers, with different package sets, configurations etc.

And if thats not enough for you, you can also use system package manager :suicide:

bit more seriously, vcpkg is pretty nice.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lmao what’s the status of package/dependency management in c++? is it still “go gently caress yourself”?
There's talk of adding support for the horse you rode in on.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i've seen more contrived reasons to get a free trip out of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I’m sure it’s just taking some time because they’re trying to follow Stepanov’s rule of software design, which is to work from the algorithm out

once they figure out how to express dependencies via iterators algorithmically they’ll be able to apply the rest of the STL to the now-solved problem of package management and then vendors can handle wrapping that in a UI