Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

La Brea Carpet posted:

Should I just file for divorce if 
Let me stop you right there, ma'am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

As a dad of 2 that is a deeply sad story.

What the gently caress dude

Name dropping Batman TAS and Futurama? Talk about something to really wind up the nerds reading this poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Suicide family is depressing. I don't come here to be depressed - I come here to read about lovely people so I can distract myself from focusing on how lovely I actually am. So, with that said, lets post more stories with lovely people. Up next, a lovely nerd dad!

My (36f) husband (35m) is blatantly disinterested in our kids (13f, 10f, 5f) unless they want to do something he's interested in, like video games, watching nerdy movies, etc.

Red piller has weak Y chromosome, who would have fuckin thought

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Yeah no offense to the Philippines, I'm sure there's a lot of genuinely great cultural and archeological stuff there, but somehow I doubt this dude ditching his wife and kids and specifically asking about sleeping with other people and insisting on going alone is there to visit the Tabon Caves or the Angono Petroglyphs.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

As a dad of 2 that is a deeply sad story.

What the gently caress dude

Its sad but it's sad because there's a lovely person we can point to and make fun. Suicide family is just endless suffering with nothing to talk about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Yeah no offense to the Philippines, I'm sure there's a lot of genuinely great cultural and archeological stuff there, but somehow I doubt this dude ditching his wife and kids and specifically asking about sleeping with other people and insisting on going alone is there to visit the Tabon Caves or the Angono Petroglyphs.

He wants coffee jelly but not the kind you drink

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Barudak posted:

He wants coffee jelly but not the kind you drink
Yuuuup. I mean just looking around it looks like there's a lot of beautiful and interesting places to visit in the Philippines but if he's not willing to take his wife with him... ugh.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Nerd dad should get an award for inadvertently doing good parenting. He's prepared all of his daughters to pretend to enjoy nerd poo poo which is going to be a major advantage in the future.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Its sad but it's sad because there's a lovely person we can point to and make fun. Suicide family is just endless suffering with nothing to talk about.

I wonder if they should divorce: can they be more to each other than a reminder of how crushingly wrong a turn their life took?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Nerd dad is too much of a self-absorbed dipshit to even pretend to enjoy his daughter's favorite book which I assume is some YA fantasy deal, like even his 5 year old is willing to smile and nod when he blathers on about stuff he doesn't care about but he's completely unwilling to even try to do the same for any of his kids. How did mom not even notice this for so long?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah, the 5 year willingly feigning interest while dad won't is pretty funny if dark

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Fry's dog made that guy more emotional than the day his children were born.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

PetraCore posted:

Nerd dad is too much of a self-absorbed dipshit to even pretend to enjoy his daughter's favorite book which I assume is some YA fantasy deal, like even his 5 year old is willing to smile and nod when he blathers on about stuff he doesn't care about but he's completely unwilling to even try to do the same for any of his kids. How did mom not even notice this for so long?

He's not too self-absorbed, he just hates women and girls. Like, he's worried about being "feminized" if he hangs out with his daughters and considers it a waste of time.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I bet anything he doesn't want to read it because it's a book a) about a black female protagonist and b) written by a young, talented black woman:

"Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good. 

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for an enemy."

From the author's website.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hellblazer187 posted:

Suicide family is depressing. I don't come here to be depressed - I come here to read about lovely people so I can distract myself from focusing on how lovely I actually am. So, with that said, lets post more stories with lovely people. Up next, a lovely nerd dad!

My (36f) husband (35m) is blatantly disinterested in our kids (13f, 10f, 5f) unless they want to do something he's interested in, like video games, watching nerdy movies, etc.

Your oldest child sucks. The one you married.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I can't wait for my kids to start developing their own tastes and if their preferred YA fiction is genre YA fiction on top of that, what a great excuse to dive into some easy-to-read, eventful, and fun stuff. Dude is literally saying "no thanks" to spending time with his kids where they are. The easiest way to have kids who actually talk to you and he's just leaving it on the table.

I keep thinking about it more and hating that dad more. "Uhhhh it might make me a girl" dude you have kids. You hosed kids into someone. Everyone knows you have a dick. Jesus.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

How does one fail so hard at raising nerdy kids?

My dad is totally the reason I grew up with geeky interests, but he would read me The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, as well as make up stories to tell me, encourage me to draw, build lego structures with me and gave me a gameboy. We watched horror movies, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Batman, and tons of other classic movies together.

It's one thing to just share your favourite media with your kids, but it's another to inspire your kids to use their imagination and create things themselves. If you are a well rounded person, there is bound to be at least one thing you can bond with your children over.

But maybe this guy isn't a well rounded person.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It must be lovely husband/dad day:

I (43 F) just realized my husband (45) of over 20 years is a creep.

quote:

I found hundreds of pictures on my husband’s old phone of our female neighbor. The pictures were taken while she was in her front and backyard. He was on our property while taking the pictures. They’re zoomed in and slightly obscured in the foreground by a fence and through the slots of our deck.

Also pictures of women walking across the street taken from inside our home.

Some pictures of me taken without my knowledge.

It’s been going on for years. He has sort of admitted it after I pressed and told him that I have proof. He says it’s wrong but not a big deal and that I’m making it out to be worse than it really is. He says he won’t do it again and that it rarely happened. I believe nothing he says.

It’s apparent that he uses this for masturbation material because he has his computer password protected and locks his door to look at this stuff.

I think what I found is just what he forgot to delete and is just the tip of the ice berg.

Realizing he gets off on this has come to a complete shock to me. I feel like I don’t know him. The non consent aspect of this really grossed me out.

I believe this is why he cannot climax from sex with me. He’s says that’s not the reason.

There are many other problems in our relationship, namely his alcoholism and refusal to seek treatment.

How do I even go on with him from here?

How creepy is this?

Why would he do this when we had an active sex life?

TL;DR My husband gets off on images of women that he has taken without their knowledge and I am creeped out.

E: post history by the OP

r/alanon

quote:

Drinks all night sleeps all day?
What’s a healthy way to deal with this? Ignore it? Somehow I’m the blame for the problems we have even though my husband has been alcoholic for 20 years. And yes, he does admit to being an alcoholic.

quote:

Silent Treatment

My AH does not speak to me. Besides a few attempts on my part, which ended in me being called names and being blamed for the problems, it’s been going on a month that he just ignores my existence. Anybody have any insight into this extreme behavior?

[EDIT] The silence is gone and at this time @4 am I’ve been listening to loud crashes throughout the house as he his falling down the stairs naked, multiple times. He’s knocked a bunch of stuff over and ripped down curtain rods and the towel rack in the bathroom. Thankfully my kids are at their grandparents house. This can not go on. I cannot have my kids living with this man. I wish I would have written a log or a journal though out the years so I could not sweep this stuff under the rug. In Codependent No More, she mentions that some spouses will over react or under react but never really acting (paraphrasing). I under reacted for years with punctuations of flipping out but never changing my situation. I think I may be getting it now. Im part of the problem for putting up with it. I’m a slow learner. I was always thinking of my loss of a normal husband/marriage but now I’m number one thinking of my kids.

r/divorce

quote:

Credit Card Not in my Name
Married a long time and recently found out about nearly 20k in credit card deb that my husband racked up. He got the card before we were married. I never used the card. The card doesn’t seem to have my name on it. He’s an irresponsible alcoholic and this is the second time he has done this in the past few years. Also, he sleeps all day and drinks all night and says he’s getting a job and moving out but he’s not actually moving out. I haven’t filed for divorce. Is there a way I can get him out? He’s making payments on his cc with our joint account and I suppose he will do that until the cash runs dry. Any advice?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 11, 2018

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Nessa posted:

I'm guessing he's pretty rounded.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nessa posted:

My dad is totally the reason I grew up with geeky interests, but he would read me The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, as well as make up stories to tell me, encourage me to draw, build lego structures with me and gave me a gameboy. We watched horror movies, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Batman, and tons of other classic movies together.

It's one thing to just share your favourite media with your kids, but it's another to inspire your kids to use their imagination and create things themselves. If you are a well rounded person, there is bound to be at least one thing you can bond with your children over.

It's pretty hard to share interests when you blatantly only care about your own gratification at everyone else's expense

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

It must be lovely husband/dad day:

I (43 F) just realized my husband (45) of over 20 years is a creep.

E: post history by the OP

r/alanon

r/divorce

jesus christ lady get a divorce like, yesterday

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

I can't wait for my kids to start developing their own tastes and if their preferred YA fiction is genre YA fiction on top of that, what a great excuse to dive into some easy-to-read, eventful, and fun stuff. Dude is literally saying "no thanks" to spending time with his kids where they are. The easiest way to have kids who actually talk to you and he's just leaving it on the table.

I keep thinking about it more and hating that dad more. "Uhhhh it might make me a girl" dude you have kids. You hosed kids into someone. Everyone knows you have a dick. Jesus.

Yeah the novel thing is almost the worst little detail. Like if you like nerdy things why can't you read a fantasy novel? It's super adjacent to what you already like. I wouldn't be surprised if daughter even subconsciously tilted in that direction specifically as an outreach to nerdad.

Also getting an interest in soccer isn't going to feminize you. If your kids play soccer and its the world cup watch a loving soccer game on TV. The whole "this will feminize me!" thing is a bogus, lovely, stupid red pillism but he doesn't even have a ghost of an excuse on that one.

Edit: A vengeful king? Dead maji? Preposterous. Now let's sit down to watch Doctor Who.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 11, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

goethe.cx posted:

jesus christ lady get a divorce like, yesterday

Get a divorce 20+ years ago.

More from the OP

quote:

wetlettuce2
He’s actually telling me he’s leaving but has no immediate plans to do so. He tells me this anytime I’ve confronted him about his behavior. I’m so angry that I want to really stick it to him. I know I should just move on and forget about him but I don’t know what other kinds of creeping he has done. He’s a professional that has several advanced degrees, that took nearly a decade for him to obtain. I supported him all those years. He’s looking for a new job after losing his. His career puts him on a college campus every day and I’m wondering if he took pictures of college students. I feel like I want to expose him and make him hurt for all the emotional pain he’s put me through.

:aaaaa:

Classic Reddit:

quote:

ElectricalArmy
I don't even understand why you posted this here.

You've told us two things about him that are, quite frankly, pretty awful. No one here knows anything else about the guy. They'll just judge him by what they know and tell you to divorce him.

wetlettuce2
What else would anyone need to know about him? What his favorite baseball team is? I mean, these are the issues.

ElectricalArmy
I'd never advise someone to get divorced just based on 250 words of text. I think that's irresponsible.

I know that definitely puts me in the minority when it comes to this sub.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 11, 2018

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Nessa posted:

It's very hard to get your daughters interested in fantasy, sci-fi, video games, or other nerdy hobbies when you're a pathetic, creepy misogynist who is too heinously self-absorbed and sexist to enjoy a trip to the Grand Canyon with your family or show a single drop of interest in your family that doesn't align perfectly with your interests on your own terms. He hates women, so he doesn't like his wife and daughters. That's the crux of it.

I bet he would be actively engaged in the lives of his kids if they were boys though... :cripes:

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

LadyPictureShow posted:

Get a divorce 20+ years ago.

More from the OP

:aaaaa:

Classic Reddit:

"my husband takes creepshots of women and is a raging alcoholic"

"well, i can't advise you to get divorced just based on that"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

On the one hand he’s a terrible dad, but on the other he’s making sure his kids are raised with minimum exposure to a lovely toxic person (himself), and even better, he’s instilling a lifelong hatred for nerd string-cheese bullshit.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Self absorbed idiots are a dime a dozen but that guy really went the extra mile when it comes to being a loathsome overgrown child. It's just so astoundingly stupid to worry that spending time with your daughters will "feminize" you. I can hardly believe such a person managed to end up with both a career and a wife yet here we are in the reality where that is true.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

failing forward posted:

I bet anything he doesn't want to read it because it's a book a) about a black female protagonist and b) written by a young, talented black woman:

"Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good. 

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for an enemy."

From the author's website.
I mean that sounds pretty good to me, but yeah the kind of person who thinks being a father to his daughters is 'feminizing' sure as hell isn't going to relate to a black female protagonist.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

It's very hard to get your daughters interested in fantasy, sci-fi, video games, or other nerdy hobbies when you're a pathetic, creepy misogynist who is too heinously self-absorbed and sexist to enjoy a trip to the Grand Canyon with your family or show a single drop of interest in your family that doesn't align perfectly with your interests on your own terms. He hates women, so he doesn't like his wife and daughters. That's the crux of it.

I bet he would be actively engaged in the lives of his kids if they were boys though... :cripes:

I bet he starts quizzing every woman who ever says she likes video games

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I worked with a woman whose husband told her point blank he only wanted sons and girls would be her problem and while she was 8 months pregnant he took a solo trip to scotland and captioned himself out there as “the happiest day of my life”.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
That nerd dad gets me so irritated. Before I had kids, I had the expectation that we'd enjoy the stuff I grew up with and this and that, but the reality is that your kids are most likely going to enjoy stuff that is catered to their generation. Was I interested in watching Little House on the Prairie when I was little because my mom watched it when she was little? gently caress no.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

TRUE nerd daughters are only allowed to enjoy 20+ year old mass media fiction about white men or, indeed, white hobbits.

I bet this dude things Ready Player One is a masterpiece, given that the guy who kicks off the plot was an antisocial manchild who deliberately set things up to force people to obsess over all the stuff he grew up with instead of nuturing developing artists.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Back to the Future is boring as gently caress to most kids and that doesn't make them bad people

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I'm surprised he hasn't drowned in the rain like some kind of incredibly mysognist turkey

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Children are there to provide a deniable cover for continuing to bash your 20-year-old Transformers together making kerchow noises until they're old enough for you to harvest their supple young organs to continue doing it for 60 more years.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

When I was 12 I thought I should save all my favorite books to shove at my eventual future kids because I love them so much and then I turned 13 and realized they probably wouldn't care and that's fine.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jim Barris posted:

I'm surprised he hasn't drowned in the rain like some kind of incredibly mysognist turkey

lmao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

PetraCore posted:

TRUE nerd daughters are only allowed to enjoy 20+ year old mass media fiction about white men or, indeed, white hobbits.

I bet this dude things Ready Player One is a masterpiece, given that the guy who kicks off the plot was an antisocial manchild who deliberately set things up to force people to obsess over all the stuff he grew up with instead of nuturing developing artists.

That description almost makes RPO sound like some self-aware, genius-level introspective metafictional masterpiece, which it definitely isn’t

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Like as a parent if your kid has similar interests your job is to provide one or two “these are best from my era” or like “this is a super deep cut” while talking nonstop about the poo poo they care about.

Like, poo poo this dude is trying to talk about Larry Bird and his daughters talking bout LeBron James and he wont have that conversation with her because he didnt grownup with LeBron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

if my kid doesn't read and critically discuss all of gravity's rainbow by age 15 i'm disowning them