Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yardbomb posted:

I mean always-online and "Where every other human is reeeeeal man" doesn't paint an optimistic picture on that end, it does sound a bit more angled at "Oh yeah of course you can play solo (And get monkey stomped by everyone ganged up)" than anything else.

It would've been deceptive of Howard if that's what he actually meant—I don't think he'd do that, whatever his PR reputation might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The future, I wonder if there's looting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyUtl8v8ojE

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Cant wait to play fallout 76 woth my 3 friends and the option to not let others in like in dying light and other games that let you create private sessions.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

The sad, crushing truth of everyone not looking forward to this game.

Seriously though, while I know people who would be interested in playing this the sad reality is that we're not in highschool anymore and don't have endless free time to piss away on something like this. And what free time we do have and can coordinate can be better spent doing other things.

And while goons are always an option the fact that we all spent :10bux: to yell at each other doesn't mean we'll get along or always find people who we do know on a regular basis.

I just find game development like this to be incredibly lazy. It's just like throwing a bunch if maps together, charging someone for them, then forcing them to go make their own game of it. Sorry, I can go back to playing CS and being called a human being every 10 minutes for free if I really wanted to.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 11, 2018

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Cant wait to play fallout 76 woth my 3 friends and the option to not let others in like in dying light and other games that let you create private sessions.

What is having friends like? Is it like listening to a podcast that listens back?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

NofrikinfuN posted:

What is having friends like? Is it like listening to a podcast that listens back?

Everyone yells over each other, but no racial, homophobic, or sexist slurs. Loot sharing is great after doing a dungeon run.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

Loot sharing is great after doing a dungeon run.

Wonder how they've augmented FO4's gear systems for equipment progression to not flatline so quickly.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Wonder how they've augmented FO4's gear systems for equipment progression to not flatline so quickly.

Weapon attributes could be good if the pool is small. I'm thinking rare crafting components for bases will be the player currency.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DoctorGonzo posted:

the "its actually a prequel" is a cop out for not having a story imo.

Pretty much, not that that's necessarily a bad thing though:

They wanted a setting where there would be no NPCs and no pre-established story, so they set the game early in the timeline before any of that stuff happened. I'm still not sure what they're trying to accomplish will be a good thing, but that's probably the best way to go about accomplishing it.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I'm also not sure why people are acting like the decision was Fallout 76 OR another single-player Fallout RPG. Seems pretty clear that this was coming from a different resource pool, and the "main" team has been working on Starbound for a while. It seems more likely that we probably just wouldn't be getting anything Fallout related if 76 wasn't happening.

It's possible that they could have farmed it out, like they did with NV. But despite the love that NV gets from fans the sense I get is that it wasn't like a monster commercial success so it's not surprising that they'd be more attracted to doing something different as a side project.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

It's possible that they could have farmed it out, like they did with NV. But despite the love that NV gets from fans the sense I get is that it wasn't like a monster commercial success so it's not surprising that they'd be more attracted to doing something different as a side project.

I remember reading it sold comparably if not better than FO3.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah, NV wasn’t a commercial success, it only sold several million copies. Clear sign that a game has failed. :v:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
They did farm this out - to some satellite company they bought a few years ago and then killed their flagship game midway through development. It was very similar in premise to what Fallout 76 is so a lot of people were skeptical to begin with.

Bethesda only has cursory involvement. Probably so they can get Gambryo to poo poo out one more product.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I remember reading it sold comparably if not better than FO3.

Here's some data to take with a grain of salt - https://www.statista.com/statistics/504477/global-all-time-unit-sales-fallout-games/

It certainly didn't do POORLY, but sold less than F3 and substantially less than F4's numbers.

edit: I think the point about this existing because they could iterate on existing tech (unlike Starbound and ESVI, which are reportedly on their new engine) is probably right. Also, more opportunities to monetize through other means than a spin-off single player game.

Anyway, I'm not saying the game is going to be good, although I hope it is. I'm just saying I can understand why they did this from a business sense rather than just doing another single-player game.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 11, 2018

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

According to random sites from Google, 3 sold almost 10 million copies while NV didn't break 8.5. 4 sold over 13 million.

E:that's what I get for phone posting slowly

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Popular good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It was very similar in premise to what Fallout 76 is so a lot of people were skeptical to begin with.

It was a team based competitive fighting game in the style of Overwatch. Talk about an exaggeration.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'm also not sure why people are acting like the decision was Fallout 76 OR another single-player Fallout RPG. Seems pretty clear that this was coming from a different resource pool, and the "main" team has been working on Starbound for a while. It seems more likely that we probably just wouldn't be getting anything Fallout related if 76 wasn't happening.

From a business standpoint, even comparable sales would be a losing prospect for Bethesda and Obsidian, since they have to split the pot. It's a shame, because the guys at Obsidian definitely had a better handle on the material.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

quote:

One step above the standard edition is the Deluxe edition, also known as the Tricentennial edition. You get the base game along with a variety of in-game bonus items. That includes the following goodies:

Tricentennial Power Armor Customization for the T-51, T-45, T-60, and X-01 Power Armors
Tricentennial Weapon Customization for the 10MM Pistol, Hatchet, and Laser Rifle
Spectacularly Handsome Vault Boy Mascot Head
Patriotic Uncle Sam Outfit
Celebratory Vault Boy Saluting Emote
First-Class Tricentennial Workshop Posters
Tricentennial Commemorative Photo Frame
Hm...not as good as a wearable Power Armor Helmet, but to nobody's surprise, that's already sold out

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

NofrikinfuN posted:

From a business standpoint, even comparable sales would be a losing prospect for Bethesda and Obsidian, since they have to split the pot. It's a shame, because the guys at Obsidian definitely had a better handle on the material.

Obsidian didn’t get a share of the profit, they were payed up front for the development of NV. The success of game they saw very little profit from is what prompted them self-publish POE in the first place.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Back Hack posted:

The success of game they saw very little profit from is what prompted them self-publish POE in the first place.

Or the drying up of contract opportunities. It's hard being a big independent dev in this day and age.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I see the happy little vault dwellers playing their cute instruments in their peaceful settlement and can't help but wonder what 4 Fat Man Mini Nukes fired at the same time will do to them. I pray for destructible settlement pieces.

Prophecy120 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Otacon posted:

It's like Bethesda specifically named that part of the map after this thread

It lies between the peaks of Expectations and Reality

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

Rideable mothman mounts please.

I hope they at least put the statue of mothman in. It's magnificent.

The crazy mothman museum in Point Pleasant would fit right in to the weird Fallout setting too.

Bert Roberge fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 11, 2018

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's gonna be a Battle Royale with 76 players and theyre afraid to say so because of the current negativity about BRs.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Has anything happened with Fallout Shelter in the past 3 years to warrant reinstalling it? I had fun with it for like 3 hours and never came back to it.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Otacon posted:

It's like Bethesda specifically named that part of the map after this thread

It's gonna be lame radioactive toxicity and not mountaintop removal and coal runoff toxicity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

smoobles posted:

It's gonna be a Battle Royale with 76 players and theyre afraid to say so because of the current negativity about BRs.

They're too out of touch to be making a BR at this point. They're trying to cash in on the survival game craze now that that's tailing off.

Todd brought up Arena, then dug out that phone game that was in no way Arena like, so that was probably his way of teasing next year's dramatic announcement of an ES BR game called Arena so they can catch the tail end of that wave too

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ideally I would love a single player fallout experience where I occasionally run across random fools. I am hoping this delivers.

What will kill this game is micro transactions to build your settlement faster.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since this looks more like a glorified spinoff with a vague promise of servers being maintained for years, I m going to assume that Bethesda intends to finish 76 and let the franchise stew for a few years while they go full on with Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6.

One of the reasons that New Vegas was made was because players were still clamouring for Fallout but Bethesda had their hands full developing Skyrim at the time. I wonder if that scenario may crop up again once 76 has run its course.

Also, if this is going to be a barebones battle Royale in fallout 4, goodbye to mods. Modding didn't even get a mention this year, especially after the stink creation club raised last e3.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Ideally I would love a single player fallout experience where I occasionally run across random fools. I am hoping this delivers.

What will kill this game is micro transactions to build your settlement faster.

I think you mean micro transactions to keep your poo poo safe

"That's a nice base, be a shame if something happened to it" - $4.99

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The dialogue tree with Mothman would be the loving best

-Buzz
-Flutter about
-Move towards the light
-Stay very still

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
so i get to nuke randos with friends and shoot the legendary moth man? sign me the gently caress up.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol, i just heard the Rage voice over and its Jesse from breaking bad. Why him?

Oh right, cuz there was like a small arc where jesse played rage in breaking bad

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Riatsala posted:

Has anything happened with Fallout Shelter in the past 3 years to warrant reinstalling it? I had fun with it for like 3 hours and never came back to it.

theres like a side scrolling rpg mode where you send your adventurers out to scavenge ruins and shoot people with laser pistols for new loot but other then that its the same clickem vault sim

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if we'll get a DLC that lets you and your friends (almost spelled that as Fiends, but given the general disposition of people in Survival games, I don't think that'd have been incorrect) survive against waves of enemies, from wild animals, ghouls, to whatever fresh horrors West Virginia's cooked up

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

I wonder if we'll get a DLC that lets you and your friends (almost spelled that as Fiends, but given the general disposition of people in Survival games, I don't think that'd have been incorrect) survive against waves of enemies, from wild animals, ghouls, to whatever fresh horrors West Virginia's cooked up

This would check "horde mode" and "zombie mode" off their fad to-do list, so sure.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i like the idea of building a sweet bar over a coal mine with friends and then fighting off giant mothmen trying to wreck our poo poo

having to constantly pvp randos and deal with nukes much less so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Azhais posted:

They're too out of touch to be making a BR at this point. They're trying to cash in on the survival game craze now that that's tailing off.

seriously they'll have a BR game in about four years, how long ago was ARK released and this is their ARK clone so yeah they're a few a years off track here. If this was blizzard doing this I'd be a bit more excited because they can be late to the party and still have a reasonable product, but loving bethesda lol