Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

CornHolio posted:

All this talk about Nissan makes me kind of sad. I used to be a fanboy. My first car was a 1994 Sentra, then my third was a 2003 Altima that I bought new. Convinced my mom to get a Rogue when they came out. My uncle still has a pair of 300ZX N/As that I love.

How can a car company that was putting out such great stuff into the nineties fall so far into mediocrity?

That's what happens when you put gaijin in charge. See also: Sony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Who played the part of gaijin in Mitsubishis case?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Who played the part of gaijin in Mitsubishis case?

Douglas MacArthur

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

azazello posted:

What do y'all think about the 2019 Acura RDX?
The early “pre-reviews” on it seem to be promising. My parents had a 1st gen RDX and now have a 2nd gen model. They didn’t like the turbo 4 in the first gen as they said it was too twitchy and got horrible mileage. They get much better mileage with the V6 in the 2nd gen.

The early comments on it seem to indicate that the new 10 speed solves a lot of the complaints about the first gen’s drive train. It has twice the gears so it seems to prevent the “all or nothing” acceleration of the first gen.

The interior is also really upgraded and looks really nice.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Dumb internet people have opinions which are not my own, because they are dumb and on the internet!

- a good opinion haver

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Previa_fun posted:

Dumb internet people have opinions which are not my own, because they are dumb and on the internet!

- Douglas MacArthur

Probably.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

Just test drive a new Charger SRT 392 and gently caress it’s fun. Surprisingly brutal

Of all the things to be surprising, I'm surprised it's brutality was one of them. :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DonkeyHotay posted:

Douglas MacArthur

:captainpop:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I think Acura is making more compelling products than Lexus at this point, which isn't something I thought I'd ever say.

The new Acuras look fantastic and are competing in a fairly reasonable price bracket, whereas Lexus is playing with the Germans in terms of pricing but have not been able to remotely keep up in design.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I haven't tried it myself, but based on reviews, Acura has the best idea for how to make a touch-based interface work in a car. I'm sort of vaguely RDX-curious, although it would have to be love at first sight for be to buy one.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Acura has really been wandering the desert the past like ten years, but if they've found their mojo again the way they did from like ~1996 to ~2006 then that'd be great.

The newest Honda platforms are all promising, so if Acura can dress them up as "really nice Hondas" the way they did with the things like the RSX and gen 1-3 TL (before they ruined it) that'd be great for the market. Genuinely really solid cheaper options than an "equivalent" BMW/Audi/MB/Lexus.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I know Acura is Honda's 'posh' arm but what do they actually sell? It's not like Honda is currently turning out high end models...

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Of all the things to be surprising, I'm surprised it's brutality was one of them. :v:

It exceeded my expectations. A lot of money though, not much of a discount on the SRT and the Scat Packs around here are all optioned up to high 40s

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

The new high-trim Hondas are actually pretty nice, as are Mazda's Signature and GT trim vehicles. Premium mainstream cars have become a thing, much like premium/luxury trucks.

The step up from a Honda to a BMW, for example, has become a lot smaller until you start looking at the really expensive BMW models.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Wheeee posted:

The new high-trim Hondas are actually pretty nice, as are Mazda's Signature and GT trim vehicles. Premium mainstream cars have become a thing, much like premium/luxury trucks.

The step up from a Honda to a BMW, for example, has become a lot smaller until you start looking at the really expensive BMW models.

I’ve been hearing this, but I recently test drove a new CRV EX and it felt signficantly cheaper than my older 328i. Even at the EX level, the passenger seat was manual, the stereo sounded tinny, and the nav screen seemed cheaper. Maybe all the nicer stuff is on the EX-Ls?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Goober Peas posted:

Renault was where Nissan fell apart in my opinion.

It saved the company but in turn it lost its soul

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

The early “pre-reviews” on it seem to be promising. My parents had a 1st gen RDX and now have a 2nd gen model. They didn’t like the turbo 4 in the first gen as they said it was too twitchy and got horrible mileage. They get much better mileage with the V6 in the 2nd gen.

The early comments on it seem to indicate that the new 10 speed solves a lot of the complaints about the first gen’s drive train. It has twice the gears so it seems to prevent the “all or nothing” acceleration of the first gen.

The interior is also really upgraded and looks really nice.

Yeah I asked because I test drove one yesterday and was really impressed. I can't really find any things about it that I don't like - maybe the only thing is the obnoxious "drive mode" knob that takes up half the dashboard. Just an incredibly solid, well put together car. There is even room around the engine so hopefully the tech doesn't have to disassemble half the loving car to replace some of the components.

I cross-shopped it with the Mazda CX-5 GT and the Audi Q5. Mazda is good except for the engine (wimpy)/transmission (choppy)/lack of CarPlay (I know it's coming, I'm just not OK with buying a car that doesn't have it today). Audi's transmission is amazing and it's otherwise a great car except for the exterior (incredibly boring), and they charge extra for some of the safety features. Value wise, Acura seems good until you realize they run no discounts yet since it's brand new. But it's still a better value than the Audi (or any other luxo crossover).

They basically dropped the new Civic Type R engine into a crossover so you can have some fun in what's supposed to be a boring family car. I'll wait until they start running sales on it and then probably spring for one.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I’ve been hearing this, but I recently test drove a new CRV EX and it felt signficantly cheaper than my older 328i. Even at the EX level, the passenger seat was manual, the stereo sounded tinny, and the nav screen seemed cheaper. Maybe all the nicer stuff is on the EX-Ls?

My wife has a new CRV Touring and the only thing I can think of that its missing would be ventilated seats. Outside of that, its drat nice and I enjoy driving it when I get a chance to do so.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

azazello posted:

What do y'all think about the 2019 Acura RDX?

Drove one for about an hour in total last week. The touchpad for the infotainment took some getting used to as its 1:1 with the screen but overall the RDX felt fine and not at all objectionable.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I haven’t been able to get a clear answer on google regarding start/stop tech.

My Jetta is the first car I’ve owned to include this feature and for the most part it’s smooth and unintrusive.
However I have a lot of situations where I’m waiting to make a left turn and basically go through 4-5 start stop situations.

Have modern manufacturers engineering against wear and tear from the increased starts?

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 11, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Kraftwerk posted:

Have modern manufacturers engineering against wear and tear from the increased starts?
hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha hahaha

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Kraftwerk posted:

I haven’t been able to get a clear answer on google regarding start/stop tech.

My Jetta is the first car to include this feature and for the most part it’s smooth and unintrusive.
However I have a lot of situations where I’m waiting to make a left turn and basically go through 4-5 start stop situations.

Nah. Why would they do that?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

That’s what I thought. I’ll be disabling it every time I turn it on then.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Once everything is warmed up and lubricated, and I thought programming waited for that for stopping the engine, is there that much wear? It's a bigger starter in most cases, right?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So, the answer is actually yes, but it still obviously causes wear. You either have an overspecced starter or the start stop is done via the alternator. Some cars are programmed with a kill switch to permanently disable the feature after a certain number of starts.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Once everything is warmed up and lubricated, and I thought programming waited for that for stopping the engine, is there that much wear? It's a bigger starter in most cases, right?

Yes my MFD in the instrument cluster shows the start stop system disabled on cold starts. It will only stop the engine once you hit operating temperatures. The starters are for sure beefed up to deal with the extra stress (I think it’s a 46 volt system?).

What I’m worried about is the crankshaft, flywheel and heat soak to the turbo. The car runs HOT and I can’t imagine it’s a good thing to shut down your water pump etc in the middle of a ride. I’m pretty certain experts recommend you idle your car for a minute before shutting down if you drove a turbo under load or spirited driving conditions.

Don’t you want pressurized oil moving through the system unless you’re cooling down? The car gets so hot you have insulation around the hood prop thing because it’ll burn your hand if you touch the metal directly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Auto start/stop makes a hell of a lot more sense on belt-less engines with a gear driven integrated starter / generator instead of an alternator.

Belt-less engines also solve the A/C problem because you can just run the electric A/C compressor with the engine off. I guess what I'm really getting at is start-stop systems belong on hybrids with robust high voltage batteries and motors.
VVVVVV

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 11, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It won't stop if temps are too high (or if your AC runs out of charge). That's why it starts again at long stop lights.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kraftwerk posted:

Yes my MFD in the instrument cluster shows the start stop system disabled on cold starts. It will only stop the engine once you hit operating temperatures. The starters are for sure beefed up to deal with the extra stress (I think it’s a 46 volt system?).

What I’m worried about is the crankshaft, flywheel and heat soak to the turbo. The car runs HOT and I can’t imagine it’s a good thing to shut down your water pump etc in the middle of a ride. I’m pretty certain experts recommend you idle your car for a minute before shutting down if you drove a turbo under load or spirited driving conditions.

Don’t you want pressurized oil moving through the system unless you’re cooling down? The car gets so hot you have insulation around the hood prop thing because it’ll burn your hand if you touch the metal directly.

I can't speak for the Jetta, but I know there's a fan that continues to cool the turbo after the engine shuts off on the Golf R.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've never been concerned about starter life, but I do feel like going from the engine stopped with no oil pressure to started and ramping up to accelerate pretty much instantly can't be good for bearings and such. But there are Prius and Camry hybrid taxis running around with hundreds of thousands of miles so what do I know.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

I've seen plenty of cars made in the past 25 years with a small insulated strip on the hood prop to protect your fingers.

Dunno about your Jetta but my GTI has an electric water pump that circulates coolant for a bit after you park the car.

I think you're overthinking this just disable the start/stop and drive the bastard.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

This is more a problem for whoever buys the car ten years from now than it is a you problem.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Wheeee posted:

This is more a problem for whoever buys the car ten years from now than it is a you problem.

and as the saying goes: gently caress the next guy

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Wheeee posted:

The auto makers are doing it just for the emissions/mpg for fleets. They are also only concerned about making it good enough to last the length of the warranty.
if an extra 1-2mpg doesn't bother you and if you plan to keep the car for a lot longer than the warranty period then disable that poo poo.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

opengl128 posted:

I've never been concerned about starter life, but I do feel like going from the engine stopped with no oil pressure to started and ramping up to accelerate pretty much instantly can't be good for bearings and such. But there are Prius and Camry hybrid taxis running around with hundreds of thousands of miles so what do I know.

The Toyota hybrids use one of the two 500V three-phase traction motors to start the combustion engine, and from the Gen 2 Prius on have electric water pumps. There's probably also some important cultural differences from management down between Toyota deciding hybrids were the future of cars and VW trying to snake out a better mileage rating.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

CornHolio posted:

I agree, but a few weeks ago I was at the local Dodge dealership and I was sitting in a full loaded RAM crew cab. I opened the door and a full-length running board flipped down for me to step on. I climb in and it was cavernous inside. So wide I'd have to reach to touch my passenger's leg. Giant vertical touch screen. Backseat bigger than my dad's Taurus, 4WD, V8, a bed... and some incredibly supple leather. I could see why somebody would spend $60k on it as their only vehicle.

edit: I only took one picture of it but you know the type.

I really enjoy how it actually has "RAM" written on the top of the gauge cluster, which is above the giant gently caress-off goat on the steering wheel. I guess it's so the Memento crowd don't forget what they're driving?

(fe): Hahahahaha, one above the center console too. That's just ridiculous.

CornHolio posted:

Not a lot but people with big expensive trucks are usually afraid of door dings and so park at the way back of the parking lot anyway in the middle of four handicapped spaces to they have a proper bubble around their precious compensator.

Fixed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

MikeyTsi posted:

I really enjoy how it actually has "RAM" written on the top of the gauge cluster, which is above the giant gently caress-off goat on the steering wheel. I guess it's so the Memento crowd don't forget what they're driving?

Fixed.

One of my wife and I's favorite games when out and about (besides Pacifica Pinch) is to point at new cars and go 'hey what kind of car is that' because emblems are huge. New Rams are the easiest.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

MikeyTsi posted:

Ram Man reminds you he has a CCW permit and demands you take that back

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

thechalkoutline posted:

Ram Man reminds you he has a CCW permit and demands you take that back

RAM MAN is gonna have to find me first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I'll never understand why companies choose prey animals as their ostensibly badass tough mascots/icons.