Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

bawfuls posted:

I think the point was that 150 million climate refugees will create a political crisis deep and broad enough to impact Americans
I think you underestimate the willingness of middle class white America to let foreign brown people suffer instead of compromise their quality of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's going to be wars. And America can't keep its dick out of wars it's got no business in, nevermind wars involving allies, countries that supply us with oil, and countries that we have important military bases in. Plus wars that Russia and/or China get involved in.

Case in point: do you think the US is entirely unaffected by the Syrian conflict? Because we're involved, despite the average American not giving the slightest gently caress about it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

California politics update: I'm in a city council meeting and it smells like old people

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Grand Prize Winner posted:

California politics update: I'm in a city council meeting and it smells like old people

Welcome to every Funeral Home I've had to be in.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

"I have a question. Well, not so much a question but more of a comment..."

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

nevermind wars involving allies

As of the last week or so, this is no longer a problem!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Weed council meetings or town halls always smelled old people and never smelled like weed. I was pretty depressed about this.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

I think you underestimate the willingness of middle class white America to let foreign brown people suffer instead of compromise their quality of life.

We blew up a cholera treatment facility in Yemen today. Americans absolutely do not give a gently caress about foreign brown people.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Just heard a commercial on the radio extolling prop 13 and warning of special interest groups that want to dismantle it.

Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association has the balls to say prop 13 helps the budgeting of local government.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

Here in godless communist Anaheim, I pay $40/month for electricity because of government bureaucracy. Whereas if I was somewhere where the Southern California Edison could use invisible hand of the glorious free market to more efficiently deliver the same electricity, I’d pay $56/month.

Hold the gently caress up. I live in Anaheim - how are you getting your electricity so cheap? Mine ranges at minimum $60 a month, and during the summer almost $150+ a month. Are you using Anaheim Public Utilities?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Hold the gently caress up. I live in Anaheim - how are you getting your electricity so cheap? Mine ranges at minimum $60 a month, and during the summer almost $150+ a month. Are you using Anaheim Public Utilities?

Yes.

$0.12 / kwhr for basic lifeline service and $0.18 / kwhr for going over that.

Also I have an 850 sqft condo.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yes.

Actually, I think yours is the same rate as mine, or close to it. I forgot they tack on paramedic, sewer & refuse as well, which is why i was shocked at the amount you were paying.

I only have a 730 sqft 1 bedroom 1 bath, but i'm pretty sure we have no insulation in our walls, which is why we have to run the air. I'm on the 2nd floor.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yes.

Meanwhile PG&E charges me $0.21 base and $0.27 for going over. gently caress the free market.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bastard Tetris posted:

We blew up a cholera treatment facility in Yemen today. Americans absolutely do not give a gently caress about foreign brown people.

"shithole countries"

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

CopperHound posted:

Just heard a commercial on the radio extolling prop 13 and warning of special interest groups that want to dismantle it.

Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association has the balls to say prop 13 helps the budgeting of local government.

Yea there's a proposition you're not going to like on the ballot in November:

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_13_Tax_Transfer_Initiative_(2018)

quote:

A "yes" vote supports amending Proposition 13 (1978) to allow homebuyers who are age 55 or older or severely disabled to transfer their tax assessments, with a possible adjustment, from their prior home to their new home, no matter (a) the new home's market value; (b) the new home's location in the state; or (c) the buyer's number of moves.

It's absolutely terrible and has huge amounts of cash support from realtors associations who love having extremely high home prices.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

what the actual gently caress

the only sacrifice prop 13 baby boomers had to make was to stay in one spot and now even that's too much?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BattleHamster posted:

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_13_Tax_Transfer_Initiative_(2018)

It's absolutely terrible and has huge amounts of cash support from realtors associations who love having extremely high home prices.

gently caress OFF with this, oh my god

revolther
May 27, 2008
And that's why grandma needs to be shot out of a cannon.

edit: All three Californias will have a prop 13.

revolther fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 13, 2018

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

gently caress that prop 13 bullshit. I fully expect it to pass as well, which is twice as infuriating.

Here's a less infuriating comedy ballot intiative that won't pass

https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/1006704607769255941

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 13, 2018

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Why do these loving things always try to act like Orange County isn’t just an extension of LA.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Instant Sunrise posted:

Why do these loving things always try to act like Orange County isn’t just an extension of LA.

Because they care more about Orange County residents being the kings of a Republican rump state than accurately enfranchising cohesive communities?

edit: for the record I'm not from CA and I'm genuinely curious about the dynamic, but I have a suspicion

unbutthurtable fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 13, 2018

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

BattleHamster posted:

Does this flip anyone on the "But think of the grandmas" side?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Looks like London Breed won: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2018/06/london-breed-wins-sfs-mayoral-race-with-99-certainty.html

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

BattleHamster posted:

What the gently caress this is insane bullshit

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

BattleHamster posted:

I am having trouble finding the words to express my rage.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Instant Sunrise posted:

Who cares, it's a divide and conquer tactic and needs to be smashed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

BattleHamster posted:

That's dire on its face, but is it even limited to natural persons?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

gently caress that prop 13 bullshit. I fully expect it to pass as well, which is twice as infuriating.

Here's a less infuriating comedy ballot intiative that won't pass

https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/1006704607769255941

what special interest group though this was a good idea?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Kuvo posted:

The one that will hold another referendum in their new, smaller state to split it further.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Nine rounds, drat. Hopefully the #1 first-place vote-getter winning anyway will cool all the anti-RCV hot takes that came out in the past couple of weeks.

Ha ha, who am I kidding?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kuvo posted:

It was pushed by Tim Draper, the same billionaire nerd that tried to get 6 California's on the ballot.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

dont be mean to me posted:

That's dire on its face, but is it even limited to natural persons?

Lol

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kuvo posted:

Russia. Russia want to split californias economy up and lock resources into 3 different states. Its garggling garbage that makes no sense.

Henker
May 5, 2009

I get that San Diego is more conservative compared to the other coastal cities, but man I do not like being lumped in with all those lovely empty parts of the state.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

San Diego, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino counties all went to Clinton last election lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's been pointed out before that 2/3 "Californias" would be solidly blue, and the third would be blue-purplish. Fairly positive the GOP is going to come out against the measure to avoid the possibility of four more Dem senators. :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The funny part is that two of those three states would wind up with two D senators each, and the third could easily be two Ds or a split, because it is still an inescapable fact that most Californians live in cities and the cities are all blue. The old six-state divide would probably have made more republican senators than democrats, but this new three-state idea creates two very blue states and one fairly blue state.

So splitting california into three states adds three or four democratic senators to Congress while adding zero or one republican senator, which upsets the delicate balance in which the Republicans maintain a slim majority despite having far fewer total voters in their collective red states than are in the collective blue states.

E.g., even if California voted by referendum to split, whichever party in Congress stands to lose, will oppose it. This is the same reason why Puerto Rico isn't going to be allowed to become a state (It'd have two D senators).

There are also significant questions about the ability of the voters as a whole to divide the state by referendum.
http://www.newsweek.com/should-california-be-split-three-separate-states-655229

It's probably not the case, and probably the legislature has to act first. By a two-thirds majority. Which isn't going to happen.

There's the additional question of whether the state's voters as a whole could compel a subset of themselves to become a new state, without checkign whether the voters within that new substate support the initiative by a majority. Probably they can't, because it's absurd to think that people can be effectively "kicked out" of a state and into a different state without their consent.

Finally, there's just the incredibly bad idea that the whole thing represents.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I feel like this would make 2 blue states and a purple state, since the Bay area and the LA area would probably dominate their respective states and San Diego and Orange county are getting bluer all the time. So to me this seems like a pretty stupid plan for Republicans.

e: should have refreshed the page

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

VikingofRock posted:

I feel like this would make 2 blue states and a purple state, since the Bay area and the LA area would probably dominate their respective states and San Diego and Orange county are getting bluer all the time. So to me this seems like a pretty stupid plan for Republicans.

e: should have refreshed the page

Or you could see it as a plot to take thirty million people hostage via their water pipes.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Would that even be legal, even if CA voters approved it?