Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

And I'm out. I wonder what the job situation is in New Zealand.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

uhhh wut?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol funny typo

please

ohgod :negative:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Fake

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thanks trump

thrump

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

thanks trump

thrump

I have a fantastic deal for this thread. A great deal. The best deals made by the best deal makers I know.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
artistic license

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

It's a pretty decent Turnbull though
I thought it was him.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Meanwhile in property
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-12/investor-retreat-from-property-market-continues-as-lending-falls/9859476

quote:

:hmmyes:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

obikes are quitting melbourne.

Embarrassing

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

:fap:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I like how 7 News is doing a story about how North Korea could nuke us

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Now I just need a graph of Melbourne's median prices so I can have my popcorn ready for the 'Despair' phase.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

I like how 7 News is doing a story about how North Korea could nuke us

I mean they're either gonna target Sydney or Canberra

Just saying,

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
It will actually be extremely bad for everyone when the housing bubble bursts you brain geniuses

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

it'll hasten the demise of all there is. that is a net positive.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

racing identity posted:

It will actually be extremely bad for everyone when the housing bubble bursts you brain geniuses

Yeah it will, but it doesn't have to be.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

racing identity posted:

Yes, it will. That doesn't change the fact that it's happening so you might as well try to enjoy the tears.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I don't think it's likely a nuclear attack will reduce property values. During the immediate aftermath there might be some minor fluctuations while the market is corrected, but prices are likely to reassert themselves quickly and continue their upward trend due to the real value property has in Australia

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
My household has already been turbo hosed by the war horn of the recession. May as well get this party rolling so we've got company.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
We'll according to the Treasurer, literally the only lever governments have to pull with regard to housing markets is supply.

So a nuke hitting a major city is... Good for housing prices...

And therefore, good for Australia.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

(serious question) why would a property bubble burst be bad for everyone, and not just investors/real estate industry?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

(serious question) why would a property bubble burst be bad for everyone, and not just investors/real estate industry?

If you're already mortgaged to the hilt and house prices plummet you're now struggling to pay off a loan on a house that's now "worth" way less and even if you sell up and move you could lose tens of thousands

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

bell jar posted:

I'd be interested in an answer to this too. As someone who'd really like to buy within the next year or so it seems like perfect timing for me personally (sucks to be everyone else).

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

If you're already mortgaged to the hilt and house prices plummet you're now struggling to pay off a loan on a house that's now "worth" way less and even if you sell up and move you could lose tens of thousands

but why would that be bad for someone who doesn't currently own a house?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
If everybody with a mortgage has their repayments increase and negative equity they won't be able to liquidate the loss so they'll have to push through to pay and make do and it's that that will have flow on effects to discretionary spending, business investment, business collapse, etc that results in the whole economy ultimately in trouble.

It's a good time to not own property but it won't necessarily be a good time to buy property if nobody has a job anymore.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

Because of all the people who suddenly feel poorer stopping spending money on things bankrupting business etc etc etc

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

bell jar posted:

It's anticipated that a housing bubble bursting may lead to a wider recession.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

bell jar posted:

The banks will get fukt when all those people start defaulting on their loans. Also massive layoffs when companies' investment portfolios start shrivelling up

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's also fine if you're okay just living in the house you own for the next 20 or so years

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

Because of all the people who suddenly feel poorer stopping spending money on things bankrupting business etc etc etc
Also a bunch of people (eg construction workers) will actually be poorer, because they will be out of a job.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

bell jar posted:

Sorry, when you said real estate I missed what you meant.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

The Australian economy is disproportionately geared towards housing construction and related services, unlike most other economies of the world. If the housing market decides to take a dive, so does the economy as it readjusts for the new normal.

All those idiots bleating about how "australia doesn't produce anything anymore" are correct, but the only answer to producing stuff again is to see a sharp dive in house prices which fucks everybody in the process.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Sorry, when you said real estate I missed what you meant.

I meant like the real estate industry. In my eyes home owners fall under the investor category

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Also banks falling over or seing massive losses could lead to a tightening in credit which could affect people's trying to get car loans, credit card interest rates, etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All sounds good for millenials who don't own poo poo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

All sounds good for millenials who don't own poo poo

Except there's still won't be jobs for them and the boomers who aren't laid off, won't leave the work force in a recession as their self managed super funds become worthless.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Its weird to me that like, somehow banks will be crippled by people defaulting on their loans despite
a) the banks have made more profit year on year than ever before since 2008
b) the loans being made by the banks in varying degrees of fiscal responsibility
c) banks having the ability to change the amount of interest owed on repayments, or renegotiate the payments at their discretion

Like surely with all the money they've made from the boom post GFC they can handle a little knockback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

*the sound of CEOs and financial advisors running to the airport holding bags of cash with dollar signs on them*