Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
remember when we voted for the lesser evil obama and he at least kept ICE activity at the same level as GWB and didn't do exactly what john mccain would have done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Condiv posted:

if i vote for the candidates the party rigged the primary for, how am i changing poo poo? oh that's right, i'm not. and lesser evil reasoning either applies to the primaries too or it doesn't apply at all. and the party decided it doesn't apply at all when it rigs the primaries for the greater evil. they can go ahead and clean up their own mess now thanks

If you don't vote, or "protest vote", how are you changing poo poo?

quote:

also, what is the reasoning on lesser evil with manchin? he supports trump. how is it helping anything to vote for him?

He votes with the Dems on most things, but doesn't on some. That's better than someone who votes against them 100% of the time.

Machin's poo poo, but he's also likely the least worst person that can get elected currently in his state.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Political parties do political party poo poo. This isn't exactly new. You can either change that or go full Apathy.

This kind of sentiment drives people towards apathy once they see how hard it is to change a political party.

Also when the party starts actively fighting against being changed, that drives people to apathy as well.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

If you don't vote, or "protest vote", how are you changing poo poo?

by helping the party come to the realization that rigging primaries results in electoral losses and/or depressed turnout. helping them get away with rigging primaries literally changes nothing jaxyon. happy to help you understand this basic concept.

quote:

He votes with the Dems on most things, but doesn't on some. That's better than someone who votes against them 100% of the time.

no, he votes with trump 60+% of the time. and he's getting worse.

quote:

Machin's poo poo, but he's also likely the least worst person that can get elected currently in his state.

nope, that was swearengin. whom the primary was rigged against.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

WampaLord posted:

This kind of sentiment drives people towards apathy once they see how hard it is to change a political party.

Also when the party starts actively fighting against being changed, that drives people to apathy as well.

For sure.

Following politics is loving depressing. Fighting people who have a ton of power and huge funding is not easy.

Condiv posted:

by helping the party come to the realization that rigging primaries results in electoral losses and/or depressed turnout. helping them get away with rigging primaries literally changes nothing jaxyon. happy to help you understand this basic concept.

How does that help them come to the realization?

quote:

no, he votes with trump 60+% of the time. and he's getting worse.

60 < 100

quote:

nope, that was swearengin. whom the primary was rigged against.

My understanding is that she wouldn't have won the general.

I'm not arguing that she's the one any sane person would rather vote for.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Centrists have lost over 1000 seats at the state level, the house, the senate, and the presidency. Maybe centrists should stop claiming that they are some sort of authority on who can and can't win elections, and just let the primaries play out as they play out?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

B B posted:

Centrists have lost over 1000 seats at the state level, the house, the senate, and the presidency. Maybe centrists should stop claiming that they are some sort of authority on who can and can't win elections, and just let the primaries play out as they play out?

Yeah, no poo poo dems should stop playing favorites in primaries, but not sure how you plan on changing that.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

B B posted:

Seriously. The Democratic establishment is an expert at losing elections not winning them without help from Republicans becoming so bad there is no other option. Their authority should only be used to negatively select candidates.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, no poo poo dems should stop playing favorites in primaries, but not sure how you plan on changing that.

The people who can change it only will change it if they have to. Voting for them won't help.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

How does that help them come to the realization?

how does winning them seats when they rig the elections for those seats helping at all? especially when you are helping a shitbag who will gladly help rig the elections for other seats? it very obviously doesn't and reinforces the behavior as you are rewarding them for rigging primaries with your vote.

them losing seats for rigging primaries makes it so a) they might actually realize that rigging primaries cost them badly needed votes and they shouldn't do that and b) there are less shitheads who like to rig primaries proportionately to the not poo poo dems.

hth

quote:

60 < 100

:laffo: sorry, but it's 60% and climbing. but apparently for you, since he once voted against trump, sometime in the past, he's a valuable ally that we have to cherish. it's not particularly convincing, especially since if i wanted to vote for a republican trump lover like manchin, i'd just vote for the republican party. thanks, but your reasoning fails on all counts.

quote:

based on what exactly? oh yeah, nothing but lies from the DNC and DCCC, who were pushing manchin and had their thumb heavily on the scale for him cause voters are too stupid to make the right choice (paraphrasing steny hoyer)

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Withholding votes from shitdems who emerge from rigged primaries, until the Democratic Party stops rigging primaries.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jaxyon posted:

Honestly, what's the point of having this discussion if all of your replies are feckless navelgazing?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

Honestly, what's the point of having this discussion if all of your replies are feckless navelgazing?

If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you without trying to attack them like they're the enemy, why are you on a message board?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

B B posted:

Withholding votes from shitdems who emerge from rigged primaries, until the Democratic Party stops rigging primaries.

Yeah I notice how far left the Democrats got as voter participating has dwindled.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jaxyon posted:

If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you without trying to attack them like they're the enemy, why are you on a message board?

I can handle it just fine but every one of your replies is this weird mix of "nothing we can do" and some centrist grossness like the 60%/100% chestnut and it's just dumb. The worst part is you're left adjacent to a point but you just keep squinting your eyes like a sneeze is coming and never does.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

This is basically a variation of the "If leftism was popular, you'd be in charge already!" argument.

We either need a perfectly executable plan on how to change the Democratic party or else it's not worth bitching about Dems being bad? Is that the gist of your argument here?

Matt Zerella posted:

I can handle it just fine but every one of your replies is this weird mix of "nothing we can do"

And ironically the leftists on here get lumped in as the :matters: crew

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah I notice how far left the Democrats got as voter participating has dwindled.

i'm sure the dems are becoming more and more rightwing cause we haven't been voting for them hard enough

:laffo:

that's why they sank the public option they promised with healthcare reform in favor of a big handout to pharma companies right? and bailed out the banks while letting people get evicted from their homes? and let the banks break all sorts of laws hurting low income people with just a slap on the wrist? and help republicans along in strong blue states where the dems are under no threat?

it's amazing how no matter how much power the dems get, it's never enough to actually push them left. they only drift rightwards.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

I can handle it just fine but every one of your replies is this weird mix of "nothing we can do" and some centrist grossness like the 60%/100% chestnut and it's just dumb. The worst part is you're left adjacent to a point but you just keep squinting your eyes like a sneeze is coming and never does.

I'm a leftist but I'm a realist. I think leftism is realistic, but politics is also a poo poo industry full of the worst people, while simultaneously being the main way to getting anything done. I don't like having to compromise, but I'll have to or I'll be irrelevant.

I'm fine with luxury space gay communism, but there needs to be a way to get there, and I don't think throwing a tantrum about politics being corrupt is it. I respect Kilroy for at least trying to work from the inside.

I respect revolutionary folks too, but nobody in this thread seems to be that. Or at least they're quiet about it, which is smart.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
what's your way to get there? do you have a better strategy than eating poo poo endlessly in the hopes things improve? because that's what you're advocating

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

WampaLord posted:

We either need a perfectly executable plan on how to change the Democratic party or else it's not worth bitching about Dems being bad? Is that the gist of your argument here?
There isn't an argument. Just an attempt to shift the discussion from "Things need to get better!" to "Should things get worse slowly or get worse fast?" Thus the obsession with "accelerationists" and the total refusal to ever propose any real ideas.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

At his funeral, forums poster with "ironic" tankie hat, gives eulogy.

"What your dear departed friend understood was, he needed to die so that white leftists would be willing to vote. Things need to get worse to get the people woke".

fyi leftists do vote

60% of this country either don't or can't vote

run on policies that will get them to vote

what are these policies that will stir people to vote who otherwise go "they're all the same" or "my vote doesn't matter"?

policies that will actively change their lives for the better, such as ending voter suppression, ensuring a proper living wage, universal healthcare, a jobs guarantee, not having to worry about being shot by the police, addressing the climate crisis so we don't suffocate to death when the clathrate guns fire, and so on

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

remember when the dems gained control of every branch of the californian government, and then suddenly stopped trying to pass UHC (veered rightwards from trying to pass UHC while republicans had some power)

is that because not enough people voted for the dems? it must be according to jaxyon.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

I'm a leftist

you voted for a slaveowner, how is that compatible with championing an ideology that strives for social equality?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

it's amazing how no matter how much power the dems get, it's never enough to actually push them left. they only drift rightwards.

If they lose all the elections, then the New Labor Communist Party will spring, phoenix-like, form the ashes I guess?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

self unaware posted:

you voted for a slaveowner, how is that compatible with championing an ideology that strives for social equality?
Be realistic you naive child! Slave owning is the lesser evil.

*vapes own farts*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jaxyon posted:

if you can't handle someone calling it as they see it then you perhaps shouldn't be on something awful

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rent-A-Cop posted:

There isn't an argument. Just an attempt to shift the discussion from "Things need to get better!" to "Should things get worse slowly or get worse fast?" Thus the obsession with "accelerationists" and the total refusal to ever propose any real ideas.

Change the party: Not a real idea.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

if you can't handle someone calling it as they see it then you perhaps shouldn't be on something awful

Yeah I'm arguing with 5 people simultaneously because I can't handle adversity.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Jaxyon posted:

I'm a leftist but I'm a realist.
:lol:

Not, the only people who talk about "REALISM". Are completely useless cowardly knowitall libs. Nice try.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

Change the party: Not a real idea.

wow, your master plan is "Change the party"

some deep thoughts you're laying in here, got any more plans?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

If they lose all the elections, then the New Labor Communist Party will spring, phoenix-like, form the ashes I guess?

the more elections they lose, the weaker they are. the weaker they are, the easier it is to take them over from within.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

WampaLord posted:

Soon:

self unaware posted:

wow, your master plan is "Change the party"

some deep thoughts you're laying in here, got any more plans?

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
turns out concern trolling about political strategies isn't effective if you don't have a better one

who could have guessed?

it's "vote for the good slaveowners" all the way down

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

the more elections they lose, the weaker they are. the weaker they are, the easier it is to take them over from within.

What if you're not gaining control until the party is so weak that you can't do anything with that power?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Change the party guys, but not by voting, and not by not voting.

Have any of you even considered becoming a billionaire and buying a few senators?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:jerkbag:

So your plan is "change the party" and your ideas on how to do that are...continue voting for every single Dem that wins a primary, no matter how bad they are?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

self unaware posted:

turns out concern trolling about political strategies isn't effective if you don't have a better one

who could have guessed?

it's "vote for the good slaveowners" all the way down

You literally advocated for voting for Trump in USPol

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Change the party guys, but not by voting, and not by not voting.

Have any of you even considered becoming a billionaire and buying a few senators?

I actually was supporting changing it by voting.

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

You literally advocated for voting for Trump in USPol

[citation needed]

man, it's like clockwork with you people, horsehoe theory, "aCceLeRaTiOniSts!", "you're supporting trump by attacking dems!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

A bunch of folks refusing to argue outside of strawmen, snide remarks, and sarcasm, and I'm the one jerking off?

Yeah dude.

• Locked thread