Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Aesop Poprock posted:

I misremembered and she’s actually still alive but yeah I used to share a bed with this kid

https://lancasteronline.com/news/me...3cb99dbfd6.html

oh he got them Eyes

a kid i went to high school with, had a bunch of classes with, and on several occasions smoked a blunt with, murdered a girl my senior year in college. they had a baby together; she and the kid shared a room in her parents' house. he climbed in through the window and strangled her.

chernobyl kinsman has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Jun 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Our CEO's kids all grew up with a variety of problems with drug abuse and delinquency, as the parents were rarely there and terrible at parenting when they were but had a lot of money so the kids felt entitled to whatever they wanted. Two of them shook off the drugs and petty crime (one is a permanent student who's now entering medical school at 30 and has never held a full time job because she's been in college for her entire adult life, and the other is lazy as hell and gets fired from every job he's qualified for because he doesn't show up or starts fights with other employees), but the other fell hard into addiction and ended up in rehab.

In one of her rehab stays, her roommate was an apparently pleasant young girl who had flown into a rage and decapitated her boyfriend with a kitchen knife.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Convinced one of the lads I went to school with stole my hat with a weed leaf on it while on a school tour to Italy when we were 17. You never know what people in your life are capable of.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

EmmyOk posted:

Convinced one of the lads I went to school with stole my hat with a weed leaf on it while on a school tour to Italy when we were 17. You never know what people in your life are capable of.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

You know, we joke around in here a lot, and I especially don't give a lot of the stories in here the respect they deserve, but this struck a nerve with me. I wish you nothing but the best EmmyOk. You can PM me if you need any help in these trying times.

Stay strong.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've already posted about it earlier in the thread, but when I was at Defense Language Institute, two Marines I knew really well wanted to be serial killers (and bear in mind these were the nerdiest/scrawniest guys you can possible imagine being in the Marines). They went for a walk at 2am on the beach and found some girl who'd gone out to smoke a joint and stabbed her twelve times and cut her throat twice. She didn't die, and is was this big to-do for months until one snapped and confessed. They had notebooks full of their serial killer plans to murder a bunch of people, though clearly attempt #1 hadn't gone great (partially because they tried to murder someone using Swiss Army knives).

http://www.kion546.com/news/monterey-county/parole-denied-for-ex-marine-who-stabbed-woman-along-pacific-grove-trail-/66389296

So that's the closest I've come to murderers, not counting in an actual war.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Aesop Poprock posted:

I misremembered and she’s actually still alive but yeah I used to share a bed with this kid

https://lancasteronline.com/news/me...3cb99dbfd6.html

quote:

"I plan to do everything in my power to make sure a situation like this doesn't happen again," he told the judge.

I think he could probably say something a bit more reassuring.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

EmmyOk posted:

It was very brave of you to share this with us.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
People give killing another human being credit for being a lot harder than it actually is. Those revenge fantasies are “performative bullshit” because of the strong taboos and fear of consequences societies try to impart to their members, not because human beings have some innate aversion to killing one another. The number of people saying they know murderers is not surprising. I think what would surprise people is how many of you know murderers, but don’t know you know murderers.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Untrustable has a new favorite as of 11:49 on Oct 11, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think he's just saying he doesn't like it because it's childish and ultimately toothless.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think he could probably say something a bit more reassuring.

I mean to his credit it’s not untrue. He was a really nice if off weirdo kid until he was a psycho. They were friends of my parents and he would sleep on the other side of his brother who slept next to me on like a king size pullout and he was never violent or anything then I just remember him always smiling and being a strange kid

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 05:40 on Jun 12, 2018

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don’t know that Glenn beck locked the doors in his studios

Oh pshaw, his thing was all the way back in 2005.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've already posted about it earlier in the thread, but when I was at Defense Language Institute, two Marines I knew really well wanted to be serial killers (and bear in mind these were the nerdiest/scrawniest guys you can possible imagine being in the Marines). They went for a walk at 2am on the beach and found some girl who'd gone out to smoke a joint and stabbed her twelve times and cut her throat twice. She didn't die, and is was this big to-do for months until one snapped and confessed. They had notebooks full of their serial killer plans to murder a bunch of people, though clearly attempt #1 hadn't gone great (partially because they tried to murder someone using Swiss Army knives).

http://www.kion546.com/news/monterey-county/parole-denied-for-ex-marine-who-stabbed-woman-along-pacific-grove-trail-/66389296

So that's the closest I've come to murderers, not counting in an actual war.

I never met a serial killer at DLI, I did meet a lot of serial drunkards though.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Wikipedia linked to this on the front page today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_bomb_campaign

quote:

The Tesco bomb campaign was an attempted extortion against British supermarket chain Tesco which started in Bournemouth, Dorset, in August 2000 and led to one of the largest and most secretive operations ever undertaken by Dorset Police. During the campaign, a blackmailer identified by the pseudonym "Sally" sent letters to Tesco stores threatening to harm customers if his demands, for Clubcards modified so that the holder could withdraw cash from ATMs, were not met.

Several months after the threat first came to light, "Sally" sent out several letter bombs, one of which was received and exploded in the face of the householder, causing her shock and minor injuries, while the Royal Mail intercepted several other packages, which had been held up because insufficient stamps had been put on them. In October 2000, "Sally" threatened to use pipe bombs against Tesco customers and the threat was taken seriously enough that Tesco began the production of the modified Clubcards, but were unable to produce the required number before the deadline set by the blackmailer. In November, "Sally" claimed to have placed a pipe bomb in a garden in the Ferndown area of Dorset. No bomb was found.

Police eventually mounted a surveillance operation on the postbox to which several of the extortion letters had been traced and identified "Sally" as Robert Edward Dyer. Dyer was arrested in February 2001, over six months since the beginning of the extortion attempt, and charged with several offences, including nine counts of blackmail and one of common assault, of which he was found guilty in May 2001. He was sentenced to 16-years imprisonment on 12 June 2001, later reduced to 12 on appeal. A number of similar extortion attempts against supermarket chains and other businesses and subsequent attacks on Tesco have since been compared to Dyer's campaign by the media.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
My ex boyfriend bumped into a dude on the street who he introduced as one of his good old friends. He seemed really shy and like he didn't really feel like talking. When we came home my boyfriend told me that years ago the dude got his first full blown psychosis at a festival. He had seen a guy walk past him a couple of times and he got so paranoid that he started carrying a knife. When the guy walked towards him (passingly) with a group of friends he thought that they were coming to kill him. He stabbed the guy killing him infront of his friends. He got locked up in a mental facility and my ex hadn't seen him since. He had never seen any indication of violence.
When I told a friend about it she froze. Apparently she had been one of the friends in the group standing right next to him when it happened. :smith:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
When I was in high school in Norman, Oklahoma, a new magnet school opened up in the same town, the Oklahoma School for Science and Mathematics. It was a highly competitive boarding school environment where kids lived in strictly controlled dorms and were bused to Oklahoma City for long days of classes every day. The school is still around, and I don't know what it's like now. But I had several friends who went there when it first opened, and I was told that in the first year (1992-93, I think), out of 60 students, there were 3 suicide attempts and 3 pregnancies (2 abortions, one dropout).

A couple years later, one of those students, who was the old OSSM roommate of a guy I knew and the then-current college roommate of a guy in my Hebrew class, answered a classified ad from a music professor who was selling her car. He showed up at her house, shot her, stole her car, and went on a three-state armed robbery spree before finally being arrested in Colorado. I am pretty sure Oklahoma executed him a few years back, but for some reason I can't track any of this down on Google now.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
My uncle, as a teenager, accidentally shot and killed his 11 year old brother with a shotgun blast at close range. I inherited the younger brother's name, and since I grew up in the house that he died in, my classmates at school used to tell me that when I turned 11 I was going to die as part of a curse on my family.

Also, the party where the Chelsea Bruck kidnapping & murder started is five houses down from the above-mentioned childhood home: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/10/27/chelsea-bruck-murder-time-line/805527001/

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

china bot posted:

my classmates at school used to tell me that when I turned 11 I was going to die as part of a curse on my family.

Well... don't leave us hanging...

Did you?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

RCarr posted:

Well... don't leave us hanging...

Did you?

judge for yourself

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

china bot posted:

judge for yourself

:stonk:

G-G-G-GHOST POST!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

china bot posted:

My uncle, as a teenager, accidentally shot and killed his 11 year old brother with a shotgun blast at close range. I inherited the younger brother's name, and since I grew up in the house that he died in, my classmates at school used to tell me that when I turned 11 I was going to die as part of a curse on my family.

Also, the party where the Chelsea Bruck kidnapping & murder started is five houses down from the above-mentioned childhood home: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/10/27/chelsea-bruck-murder-time-line/805527001/

Wait your uncle killed his brother, and you grew up in the house he died in. Are you sure your father didn't die and you're not actually a ghost's son?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Solice Kirsk posted:

:stonk:

G-G-G-GHOST POST!

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I had a client on a post-appeal matter who was a straight-laced Eagle Scout kid until a downward-spiral that lasted about 6 months when he was 18 - fell in with a bad crowd, tried to impress a girlfriend, bought a gun. He and a couple other idiot friends decided to rob a cab driver. Two hopped in the cab, one tailed them in a getaway car. Scout kid was in the backseat, put the gun up against the driver's head as they got to a secluded spot, and took about $72 off him. Then pulled the trigger. Obviously this was not part of the plan, and everyone freaked out. Scout kid, in the confusion, lost his ballcap, which had his girlfriend's initials and birthday written on the inside. Before being arrested, Scout kid's parents found the gun in his bedroom, and decided to disassemble it and put it in a cookie jar, not knowing it was a murder weapon.

When all three were eventually arrested, the first attorney that represented Scout kid decided to pass on the initial plea offer and see what the other two friends did - obviously, they plea bargained and testified against him, as did his parents who were trying to avoid being charged for hindering. That attorney is now a judge. He was found guilty, life without parole, appealed it, which backfired as the appellate court pointed out he should have been sentenced for additional charges.

He was still in the pre-trial lockup building when I was appointed, as he hadn't gotten a final sentence yet. I go to meet him, and get led into the building by a nice young man who happens to be him, walking freely around the building. They basically put him in charge of everything administrative there, because he was smart and nice and helpful. Still tried to shift the blame for pulling the trigger onto his buddy, though, despite massive evidence showing otherwise.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I think I'll make this a series:

Capital punishment in Spain

Spain historically was pretty big into the death penalty; supposedly in the early 1800s they were the killingest government in the Western world, followed by Sweden. The Spanish Republic (the anti-fascist one) briefly banned the death penalty in 1932, but then reinstated it as a method to deal with the chaos of the civil war. When Franco came to power, he reinstated the death penalty in 1938. Francoist Spain killed a number of people, including for political crimes, and allegedly killed some 10,000 Spanish Freemasons, though some of those were purges/raids rather than formal executions. Francoist Spain wasn't totally crazy though, and in many years had fewer executions than neighboring France. They actually had a moratorium on the death penalty from 1966–1972, ending when they executed a man for robbery/murder.

Spain's last executions were by firing squad, executing five people in one day, members of the Basque ETA (a separatist insurgency) and Revolutionary Antifascist Patriotic Front. The death penalty was then removed for peacetime infractions in 1978, and all crimes in 1995.

While the firing squad was used for some crimes, Spain's unique specialty from 1820 onwards was pretty unique: the garrote.

Just what it looks like: basically a tourniquet for your neck, twisted by a big crank. From what I'm reading, they weren't all based on strangulation, as some instead forced a spike or blade into the spine, and others were more made to dislocate the neck. Spain's last public garroting was 1897, the last "civilian" execution was in 1959 for a spree-killer. The last garrotings were technically "military" in that a number of offenses, including murder, had been moved over to military jurisdiction, so the final garroting was in in 1974 for an anarchist who shot a cop during a shootout.

As noted above, the final executions at all were by firing squad, maybe because of the political nature of the crimes, but also supposedly because they were running out of executioners qualified to operate the garrote.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
e: nvm, post was an unintentional spoiler for Hereditary

china bot has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Jun 13, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

china bot posted:

e: nvm, post was an unintentional spoiler for Hereditary

Thanks for spoiling that Hereditary is related to garroting

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nm

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 01:31 on Jun 13, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
get me in a room with these two monsters and i will effortlessly remove them from the karmic cycle with my fists and fangs. then i will pray for safe delivery of their souls to the one and only true deliverer of justice, jesus christ. a ray of sunlight plunges from heaven and skewers my lonely rear end in a top hat

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

Our CEO's kids all grew up with a variety of problems with drug abuse and delinquency, as the parents were rarely there and terrible at parenting when they were but had a lot of money so the kids felt entitled to whatever they wanted. Two of them shook off the drugs and petty crime (one is a permanent student who's now entering medical school at 30 and has never held a full time job because she's been in college for her entire adult life, and the other is lazy as hell and gets fired from every job he's qualified for because he doesn't show up or starts fights with other employees).
why would you doxx my family

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

this broken hill posted:

why would you doxx my family

Are you the one who gets fired from every job for being lazy and starting fights?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

this broken hill posted:

get me in a room with these two monsters and i will effortlessly remove them from the karmic cycle with my fists and fangs. then i will pray for safe delivery of their souls to the one and only true deliverer of justice, jesus christ. a ray of sunlight plunges from heaven and skewers my lonely rear end in a top hat

much better than an owner of a broken rear end in a top hat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pastry of the Year posted:

"Owner of a Broken rear end in a top hat" - Yes, 1983

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

God damnit.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax

chitoryu12 posted:

Are you the one who gets fired from every job for being lazy and starting fights?
i'm actually both of them

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

But how does that compare to the owner of a parcel of land in Montana?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Rq5f9ZXKg

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

china bot posted:

My uncle, as a teenager, accidentally shot and killed his 11 year old brother with a shotgun blast at close range.

Were the puckins okay?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Were the puckins okay?

collateral damage

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Is anyone listening to the new season og the In The Dark podcast about Curtis Flowers? It's one of the most infuriating things I've ever listened to.
That podcast really makes Serial look pathetic by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

As noted above, the final executions at all were by firing squad, maybe because of the political nature of the crimes, but also supposedly because they were running out of executioners qualified to operate the garrote.

"Can you turn the wheel?"

"No, but I have excellent customer service skills"

"God dammit"