Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mylan posted:

I want to build a mystery shack next to some hosed up world geometry and charge people admission to see the amazing floating tree that was placed a foot above the ground

Welcome one and all to the wonderful and mysterious polygon that lets you clip out of bounds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

antidote posted:

It's a reasonable viewpoint, they just get a lot weirder about it. There's a guy whose signature is "They RAPED Fallout!" and it's always like, you lost me there guy.

That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with liking 1, 2, and NV better. 76 does look like a poo poo show but I'm going to give it a go, absolutely.

[Edit] also the "lol gonna wreck some nma babbies" guys in here aren't making the game sound any more appealing.

The NMA babies aren't even going to play the game, so I don't get it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

NofrikinfuN posted:

Anybody that complains about the bugs in Bethesda games has literally never started Fallout 1 or 2.
It's easy to complain about the bugs in New Vegas, but in Fallout 1 half of the ending slides didn't even work

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least in FO4 you had some connection to the main antagonist
The main antagonist sucks so who cares

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 13, 2018

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
The doc turned this into a "buy" from me. There seem to be some pretty interesting mechanics at work here. Kinda a weird melange of Star Wars Galaxies, Fallout 4 and Monster Hunter.

The only gripe I have is that they're really loving PvP up. Their idea is to make "griefing" not a thing by making death inconsequential and (according to the interviews today) letting players "block" PvP from the person who killed them, base raids can be fixed with a few caps. The ganked fucker is going to be annoyed, the person who killed them isn't going to get what they want out of the game, nobody's winning. Why on earth aren't they just allowing players to either flag PvP or pick PvP/PvE mode? Although the wanted levels/bounties are a neat idea that I'm in favor of.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The whole bouncing between servers thing makes it sound ridiculous. Like what, one day you log on and oh hey on this server the section of the map you built your house on is nuked out and devastated, then you log out log in and everything is fine? You go down a route you're familiar with and one time there's a giant fuckoff dong house and the next time it's like it never even existed?

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013
Okay so if all the existing raiders n stuff are the progeny of the first vault dwellers or whatever, are we literally creating the history of Fallout here? Is everything we do canon? Like, griefing aside, we get to write the history books here.

If so, and if we get to become vendors... I'm gonna be that random encounter vendor who sets up in the middle of nowhere and just waits. In a world where there are no NPCs, I get to be the NPC.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Volkerball posted:

The whole bouncing between servers thing makes it sound ridiculous. Like what, one day you log on and oh hey on this server the section of the map you built your house on is nuked out and devastated, then you log out log in and everything is fine? You go down a route you're familiar with and one time there's a giant fuckoff dong house and the next time it's like it never even existed?

Its like your avatar basically.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It kind of reminds me like how a civilization multiplayer game would feel if everything was all chopped up into servers. You are the Romans, you have 8 cities, you have these techs and these developments. Generating...

Then you pop into the same map but with entirely different characters on the map with poo poo built in entirely different places. It'd be totally incoherent.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

that conan exiles game is real fun so i look forward to seeing what bethesda cook up for their MP survival game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SeaWolf posted:

So why did they originally add those mechanics to NV and F4 if they had no worth other than grinding?

Fallout 4 and Skyrim actually took weapon degradation out when previous games had it, and Fallout 4 and New Vegas didn't have food degradation at all.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Imagine that with NPCs on top. I'm pretty sure the main reason they're ditching the writing is that nobody knows how to stop the game from spawning poo poo into walls, especially not with the way servers seem like they're going to be handled.

4 was a pass unless a friend was lending me their PC to try it but this is like 99% likely to be a hard pass at this point

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Fallout 4 and Skyrim actually took weapon degradation out when previous games had it, and Fallout 4 and New Vegas didn't have food degradation at all.

he meant conceptually, as in 'we were thinking about adding in weapon decay', and Skyrim had enchanted weapons, which is pretty much repairing equipment by a different name.

he was mostly pointing out that saying 'lol they're adding in this stuff to pad out the gameplay' is nonsense because it existed in single player games way before it was in Fallout 76.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some of the twists on FO4's template sound great. Still apprehensive about multiplayer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

he meant conceptually, as in 'we were thinking about adding in weapon decay', and Skyrim had enchanted weapons, which is pretty much repairing equipment by a different name.

he was mostly pointing out that saying 'lol they're adding in this stuff to pad out the gameplay' is nonsense because it existed in single player games way before it was in Fallout 76.

The weapon enchantment degrading and needing refills from soul gems was already something that had existed since Morrowind in conjunction with weapons just breaking and needing repair. Bethesda removed weapon wear from their games for 7 years and never even added an optional way to put it back for Survival mode in Fallout 4, so them putting it back in along with food spoiling seems more like an effort to encourage grinding.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

RagnarokZ posted:

Seeing as present sales numbers for Fallout 4 in TOTAL is somewhere on the good side of 13 million, are you claiming that Fallout 4 sold 90%+ of all of it's sales, in a week.

I'm gonna need some sources there, that doesn't sound right.
Most games make the vast majority of their money from pre-orders and launch day these days, so... yeah that does sound right

Rinkles posted:

Here's me a year and a half ago predicting Bethesda's next game would deemphasize the narrative and be more radiant driven. (Of course I got a bunch wrong, and didn't think they'd risk exposing their core IPs to the experiment.)
Fallout 4 made it pretty clear to me that they consider Fallout to be the wacky franchise they can mess about and experiment with. Throw in a voiced main character and a town building system, sure whatever. If it doesn't work then they just don't do it next time, if it works then they'll incorporate it into the next Elder Scrolls game

SeaWolf posted:

To me it sounds like the only thing that Bethesda could do with fallout that would make the rabid base happy is to sell the franchise and strike 3 4 and 76 from canon.
*ears perk up* have they said they might do this?

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 13, 2018

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Weapon degradation was an oblivionism anyway (it's not in the originals for one) and iirc the way 3 worked for aiming made it really hard to hide that the way they handled guns was basically reskinned Oblivion staves.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

putting it back in along with food spoiling seems more like an effort to encourage grinding.

They touched on this in the video. They don't want things to seem like a chore.

It's realistic. You need to eat and drink to survive. Your food can go bad. Your guns need to be repaired. I don't look at it as encouraging grinding, I look at it as a "softcore survival experience" or whatever term The Todd used during E3.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

Weapon degradation was an oblivionism anyway (it's not in the originals for one) and iirc the way 3 worked for aiming made it really hard to hide that the way they handled guns was basically reskinned Oblivion staves.
oh yeah it never ceases to amaze me how cobbled together these games are :allears:

see also:

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Otacon posted:

They touched on this in the video. They don't want things to seem like a chore.

It's realistic. You need to eat and drink to survive. Your food can go bad. Your guns need to be repaired. I don't look at it as encouraging grinding, I look at it as a "softcore survival experience" or whatever term The Todd used during E3.

I'm not convinced of your point exactly. Isn't that kind of poo poo what WoW grinding was literally? I feel like this is one of those "it's not red it's crimson" kind of things. Yeah it is different but only aesthetically.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Your Computer posted:

oh yeah it never ceases to amaze me how cobbled together these games are :allears:

That's actually kinda hilarious.

I'm always amazed at how many activators in TES and new Fallout games are technically dummy NPCs in hidden cells and I can't imagine just how much it contributes to Beth games' tendancy to just break suddenly

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Is "playing the game" "grinding"?

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

So there's no story whatsoever, and if you kill someone once they can stop you from doing it again?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Agnosticnixie posted:

It definitely made sense for Fallout, even more than it did for The Elder Scrolls. You could justify removing weapon degradation in Skyrim as slowing down and adding needless complexity to what's basically a solo D&D game, but Fallout's whole point is cobbling together poo poo to make poo poo work. If anything, Fallout 4 could have had an even deeper repair system with different weapons requiring different resources to repair instead of disassembling weapon copies or using consumable kits. It would have played well with the expanded crafting and settlement building system and given players who weren't too interested in those systems a good reason to pick up and scrap stuff.

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Otacon posted:

Is "playing the game" "grinding"?

Is grinding doing the same tasks over and over in order to get better stuff that degrades less quickly so you are strong enough to go get stuff that degrades less quickly? If so then if that is a core game mechanic I would say it is grinding.

I will temper this by saying I want to know more about how these radiant quests will fit into everything and how non-radiant content will be handled.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
76 aside, I'm ready for my first Lonesome Road run. Finished DM, HH, and OWB, but I haven't touched the main quest since murking Benny and getting the Platinum Chip. Should I finish the main quest first or do Lonesome Road and then finish up the game afterwards? Just wondering which order it goes in best thematically in case there's a "and the courier walked out of the history of the Mojave for the last time" at the end of LR's slide show or something, not that it really matters.

As far as my thoughts on 76 go, I'll probably preorder for the beta and cancel if it ends up Bad but I've gotta say a Fallout with no story doesn't sound like a good time. Once touch I did like from what they've shown though was the feral ghouls' were still wearing some bits of clothing that hadn't rotted away yet.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

bango skank posted:

76 aside, I'm ready for my first Lonesome Road run. Finished DM, HH, and OWB, but I haven't touched the main quest since murking Benny and getting the Platinum Chip. Should I finish the main quest first or do Lonesome Road and then finish up the game afterwards? Just wondering which order it goes in best thematically in case there's a "and the courier walked out of the history of the Mojave for the last time" at the end of LR's slide show or something, not that it really matters.

As far as my thoughts on 76 go, I'll probably preorder for the beta and cancel if it ends up Bad but I've gotta say a Fallout with no story doesn't sound like a good time. Once touch I did like from what they've shown though was the feral ghouls' were still wearing some bits of clothing that hadn't rotted away yet.

Thematically, it's probably better to put Lonesome Road at least after the first meeting with Caesar (and after the ides of march if you intend on killing him anyway since I think Ulysses reacts to that).

Also weapon degradation in 3/NV would have been a lot less frustrating if damage were actually realistic and you weren't destroying your barrel with a couple fights thanks to the rifles being made of papier mache and I'm always glad that ropekid's mod increases item health significantly for all weapons.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 13, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Fallout 76... might be okay?

The stuff Todd Howard said in the reveal was just so incredibly stupid. Like he didn't realize he was making "griefing: the game." No one has an incentive to survive because it's a video game. No one has an incentive to take anything seriously. So people are going to be insufferable and immersion ruining assholes. And you've given them PVP nukes in a game with base building? What the gently caress Todd Howard?

But it turns out you can "opt out" of PVP somehow (after your first death?). Your base can be packed up in your pocket and you take it with you when you log out. Nukes are a way to gently caress up bat-dragons and unlock "endgame dungeon" hosed up areas. There is a game here that could conceivably be played outside of assholes ruining your day.

And actually, one thing I kind of liked was when they said all players will always be visible on the map. This will let me run away from them more effectively! In terms of an ~experience~ I'm actually kind of okay with living the life of a lonely hermit terrified of human contact. I mean, you won't be able to hide, which is too bad, but you will be able to pack up your base in your pocket and run away. Living a life scrounging on the periphery of a world where actual people are legitimately doing something else... seems like it could be fun.

Have they confirmed or denied anything about cross-platform play? The only person I might ever want to play this with would be playing on the XBox, while I'd be using a PC.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I really don't like that everyone is visible on the map. Griefers can easily track you down and running into people becomes a lot less special when you know exactly where everyone is at all times.

One lame feature in an otherwise amazing and fresh looking game.

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
It's Too bad Metro aren't openworld games because they'd make better fallout games than Fallout.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

tweet my meat posted:

I really don't like that everyone is visible on the map. Griefers can easily track you down and running into people becomes a lot less special when you know exactly where everyone is at all times.

I get you, but I didn't see any minimap in any of the clips so far. So everytime you want to look at your map you need to stop, bring up your Pipboy, and look at it. That may leave you vulnerable - and unless you are intent on pausing to check your map every 20 feet it should still allow for someone to sneak up on you.

Of course it remains to be seen, but are griefers going to be tracking you down just to kill you once before you tell them to gently caress off and decline their challenge or whatever the mechanic is? Would it happen enough for it to be a problem?

EDIT: They mentioned in the noclip video about someone training a pack of yao guai into your group while taking down a boss - I can see that being very fun but high risk/reward - you'd want to do it at the right opportunity when no one is paying attention to the map.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 13, 2018

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

frugalmaster posted:

It's Too bad Metro aren't openworld games because they'd make better fallout games than Fallout.

The new Metro looks like it is open world.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

tweet my meat posted:

Agreed 100%. It sounded like their C.A.M.P. units might be visible on the map, so hopefully individual players aren't. It sounds like a way to encourage player interaction by having you visit other settlements.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

The new Metro looks like it is open world.

The Metro demo we've seen this E3 explicitly uses the word "Level".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ill be interested to see how far away you can build next to someone's placed B.A.S.E. I can see a problem of people walling in others or setting turrents around them.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

ymgve posted:

The Metro demo we've seen this E3 explicitly uses the word "Level".

I appear to have misunderstood how people were describing it.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

Ill be interested to see how far away you can build next to someone's placed B.A.S.E. I can see a problem of people walling in others or setting turrents around them.

Why? You can opt out of PVP and there is no penalty for death

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand why there can't be multiple Fallout games in development at the same time from different studios. It's a big enough property.

Why can't Fallout 76 have been developed alongside another single player game developed by another studio? Maybe even an isometric one as it would take a lot less work and those are coming back in vogue now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The "scorched" are angry ghouls who haven't yet become completely feral, like the marked men

Actually pretty clever from a game design perspective, and serves as a call (forward?) to Lonesome Road

Lol yet again Bethesda do something New Vegas already did and have no idea because none of them played it

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is looking more and more interesting, but I'm still a little concerned about Bethesda actually being able to program all of this correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This is looking more and more interesting, but I'm still a little concerned about Bethesda actually being able to program all of this correctly.

Well, the NoClip documentary mentioned it's based on the Fallout 4 engine with the Quake netcode, and the lead is from Star Wars Galaxies, so take that however you want.