Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

golden bubble posted:

Has plaid hat games ever produced a good board game?

Summoner Wars was pretty good, albeit flawed. Just not Dead of Winter flawed. The problem is that Plaid Hat mostly publishes games by Isaac Vega, who is a really lovely designer. He's like Kevin Wilson in that his games have the seed of something there, but instead of Wilson's bloated mechanics, he just never fully develops an idea into something worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CaptainRightful posted:

Yeah, that's my point. I'm in my 40s and many of my friends collect toys, artwork based on the toys of their youth, etc. They went nuts over Ready Player One. They're the people who can afford expensive games that come with minis.

I'll give you model cars, but those other things you mention are irrelevant. Toy collecting by adults is far more mainstream now than ever before. You say "acceptable to display", which is also what I'm saying. A shelf of Avalon Hill and 3M bookcase games vs. X-wing and Zombicide.

EDIT: I think I see why silvergoose misread my first post, because I was unclear. I wrote "How many adults do you know who..." meaning "You probably know lots of them", not the opposite.

Okay yeah I thought you were saying "Real adults don't do this, just lovely millenials" and hey I misread it completely!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

golden bubble posted:

Has plaid hat games ever produced a good board game?

I like Specter Ops but it is definitely not 100% there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Isn't Specter Ops supposed to be good? I've never played it.

I recall people in this thread calling it Spectator Ops.

Vega did do reasonably well with Ashes, so far as I can tell from one game, but I'd have to play it more to be sure and as it's two-player only I never got the chance.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Okay yeah I thought you were saying "Real adults don't do this, just lovely millenials" and hey I misread it completely!

As a member of Gen X, I assure you we're much shittier than Millennials and today's teens.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

As a member of Gen X, I assure you we're much shittier than Millennials and today's teens.

At least you're better than boomers.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

silvergoose posted:

At least you're better than boomers.

:cmon: I'm a boomer!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

Yeah but you're not a terrible person, so clearly not who I was talking about. :)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Lorini posted:

Not All Boomers

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

silvergoose posted:

Yeah but you're not a terrible person, so clearly not who I was talking about. :)

I feel like this line gets used on Lorini too much.

On plastic vs wood, one must bring up Spirit Island - the invaders and their effects (blight) are plastic, the spirits' sites and the Dahan are wood. Makes for a nice dichotomy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

rchandra posted:

I feel like this line gets used on Lorini too much.

On plastic vs wood, one must bring up Spirit Island - the invaders and their effects (blight) are plastic, the spirits' sites and the Dahan are wood. Makes for a nice dichotomy.

Eh, she's too awesome to spare praise.

I'm also super fuckin biased because of Advanced Civ, I will admit.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of Spirit Island, I received my copy in the mail today and also just read that the latest printing has errors and they are going to release an errata pack around Essen. I'm now left pondering whether to ship it back and waiting for the next print run.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

silvergoose posted:

Eh, she's too awesome to spare praise.

I'm also super fuckin biased because of Advanced Civ, I will admit.

Well thank you. I y'am who I y'am kind of a fussy old lady but I think in a good cause. We are all about great games right??

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I’m in the LA area this weekend and spent an afternoon at Gamehaus cafe. They have a huge selection of games and I think half of them were donated by Lorini. Thanks for letting us try Glass Road!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Lorini posted:

Well thank you. I y'am who I y'am kind of a fussy old lady but I think in a good cause. We are all about great games right??

100%. The question is are you fussier than Walter. :v:

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Quixotic1 posted:

Speaking of Spirit Island, I received my copy in the mail today and also just read that the latest printing has errors and they are going to release an errata pack around Essen. I'm now left pondering whether to ship it back and waiting for the next print run.

Game good. I just got new print, plays great you are dumb for trying to send back,

Don't be a dumb.

Game good./

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I got mine today too, but haven't opened it yet. What are the errors?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

kaujot posted:

Nothing worth worrying about at all. A few niche timing clarifications and rewordings.

quote:

Errata / Updates
Fear and Fear Cards

Update to Dahan Enheartened Fear Card -- In the second printing, the effects for Terror Levels 2 and 3 read:
2: "Each player chooses a different land. In chosen lands: Gather up to 2 Dahan, then 1 Damage if Dahan are present."
3: "Each player chooses a different land. In chosen lands: Gather up to 2 Dahan, then 1 Damage per Dahan present."
This is a minor change - mostly just a rewording for clarity (see Changes in core game second printing), but slightly more permissive than the first printing. (You can choose a land which already has Dahan, then Gather 0 Dahan and still do Damage. The first printing requires you to Gather 1 or 2 Dahan to each chosen land, which was not the original intent, and was confusing some players.)
Designer's recommendation: Play with whichever version is easiest or most appealing for you; the difference is so minor it will not substantially affect game balance. (If the card hadn't wanted tweaking for clarity anyway, we wouldn't have bothered updating it.) If you wish to make a pasteup for your first-printing copy, an image of the new card has been uploaded here.
Fixed in core game second printing. Tags: Dahan Enheartened

Invader Actions

Errata for 1st printing core rulebook, p. 9 (Ravage) -- Ravaging Invaders damage Dahan and the land separately, equally, and simultaneously. (The word "simultaneously" was accidentally omitted on p. 9, though the example on p. 11 is correct.)
Currently relevant in certain cases of a Ravage destroying one of Vital Strength of the Earth's Sacred Sites. (The Defend 3 reduces overall damage done to both land and Dahan.)
Wording fixed / clarified in 2nd printing. Numbered list replaced with a bulleted list in 3rd printing.
Fixed in Core game second printing. Tags: Rulebook, Ravage, Damage, Earth's Vitality (Vital Strength of the Earth), 0 more...

Power Cards

Errata for timing on Vengeance of the Dead -- The base (pre-threshold) effect text should read, "3 Fear. After each effect that destroys Town/City/Dahan in target land, 1 Damage per Town/City/Dahan destroyed."
What the Power does is identical, but the timing is different ("after" instead of "when"). This mostly only matters for Bringer of Dreams & Nightmares.
(Eg: A land has two Towns and a City with 1 Damage. Bringer of Dreams & Nightmares uses Vengeance of the Dead. Lightning's Swift Strike uses max level Thundering Destruction to destroy Town, Town, City. The rephrased version clearly does 3 "Damage" after the complete resolution of Thundering Destruction; the original version was ambiguous.)
Fixed in Core game third printing. Tags: Damage, Timing, Vengeance of the Dead, Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares, 0 more...

Seriously, don't send your game back because of this minor stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Medium Style posted:

I’m in the LA area this weekend and spent an afternoon at Gamehaus cafe. They have a huge selection of games and I think half of them were donated by Lorini. Thanks for letting us try Glass Road!

I do donate a lot of games to them, they are doing a great job :).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bioshock Infinite (the board game) was meant to be alright wasn't it?

FulsomFrank posted:

What do people think of 18Lilliput thats up on KS right now? It looks interesting but the shipping is brutal, almost as much as the bloody game.

Yeah it's ridiculous.

FAQ posted:

Why is the shipping cost so high?
The examples of shipping costs are based on Lonny´s last project 18CZ.

The weight of 18CZ is greater than the 18Lilliput will be (18CZ is about 2,5 kg and 18Lilliput should be depending on stretch goals between 0,3 - 0,5 kg), so there sould be some savings. And maybe if we are able to send out more than 1000 copies of the game, it could be used as a leverage to shipping companies, too.

We want to be fair in our communication; the prices shown are the ceiling prices. We believe they will be lower.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think Chicago Express sounds interesting but my friends won't go for anything described as "cutthroat". Are there any "kinder" alternatives in the Winsome line?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

kaujot posted:

Lots of dumb typos. For example:
the Shadows Flicker Like Flame spirit card gives the name as "Shadow's Flicker Like Flame"
the adversary card for the Kingdom of Brandenburg-Prussia gives the name as "Bradenburg-Prussia"
uh, several in the rulebook, I didn't keep track but there were lots of a -> o problems ("Mojor powers")

Winter Stormer fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 13, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

I think Chicago Express sounds interesting but my friends won't go for anything described as "cutthroat". Are there any "kinder" alternatives in the Winsome line?

I wouldn't describe Chicago Express as cutthroat, but I've been spoiled by 18xx.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

PerniciousKnid posted:

Not really, because that’s kind of their thing. Really, the best you will find will probably be “subtle”-it’s not directly sticking the knife in, but you’re still only winning by taking advantage of others. C.E. could work, Paris connection probably more so. Samarkand and trans America would probably work as well (I think these are all mass market versions of winsome games at least).

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

al-azad posted:

I wouldn't describe Chicago Express as cutthroat, but I've been spoiled by 18xx.

I haven’t played 18xx games but my experience with CE is experienced players will terminate new players and over/under valuing stocks will cripple you compared to more Euro-esque auction games - BUT, and this is a big but, these are all super compensated by its fast play time (like 45 minutes without new players).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, Pandemic Legacy Season 1 question:

We just finished March and we haven't actually opened anything with Military Bases in them yet. Gotten a couple things that reference them, including an objective, upgrades, and a funded event, but nothing about them. Did we miss something, or do they not actually become a thing until April?

We're doing pretty well so far, had our only loss in January, only four cities are rioting (Lagos, Sao Paulo, Bagdad, and Sydney), and we've sequenced both yellow and red. They are now Piss Fever (urethral melanoma) and Rag Rot (menstrual necrosis), because my girlfriend would make an incredible and terrifying supervillain.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Winter Stormer posted:

Lots of dumb typos. For example:
the Shadows Flicker Like Flame spirit card gives the name as "Shadow's Flicker Like Flame"
the adversary card for the Kingdom of Brandenburg-Prussia gives the name as "Bradenburg-Prussia"
uh, several in the rulebook, I didn't keep track but there were lots of a -> o problems ("Mojor powers")

I noticed all of these and they're pretty embarrassing and they're going to bother me forever, but whatever. Maybe if I email customer support they can send me components without the typos.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Bottom Liner posted:

Nothing worth worrying about at all. A few niche timing clarifications and rewordings.

Seriously, don't send your game back because of this minor stuff.

Also these look like first and second printing errors. I think they’re on fourth now. So your copy is probably fourth.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

Rutibex isn't! :v:

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

There's a game called American Rails that was inspired by the Winsome line and it's supposedly much more tame. I haven't tried it. Honestly though, CE is one of the best auction games ever made, it's worth the growing pains if you think there's even a slight chance you can sell it to your group.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

So, Pandemic Legacy Season 1 question:

We just finished March and we haven't actually opened anything with Military Bases in them yet. Gotten a couple things that reference them, including an objective, upgrades, and a funded event, but nothing about them. Did we miss something, or do they not actually become a thing until April?

We're doing pretty well so far, had our only loss in January, only four cities are rioting (Lagos, Sao Paulo, Bagdad, and Sydney), and we've sequenced both yellow and red. They are now Piss Fever (urethral melanoma) and Rag Rot (menstrual necrosis), because my girlfriend would make an incredible and terrifying supervillain.

The March mission briefing card should have told you to open some of the doors, which have these instructions within. I'll spell it out for you in spoiler since you finished March already:

The March mission briefing tells you to open doors X, 43, and 5. 5 reals new scars, 43 is the rules reference sticker for the military shuttle action. X contains the rules sticker for Military Base structures, and the instructions to open box 2, which contains the actual bases.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah it's ridiculous.

Not saying I want the same poo poo that happened to Glory of Rome man to happen to this guy but some of the European shipping rates are ridiculous.

I know it's an edge case but how does Isaac manage to ship a 22lb game for free?

Speaking of, I think Founders of Gloomhaven will be arriving shortly... Very excited!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

FulsomFrank posted:

Not saying I want the same poo poo that happened to Glory of Rome man to happen to this guy but some of the European shipping rates are ridiculous.

I know it's an edge case but how does Isaac manage to ship a 22lb game for free?

Speaking of, I think Founders of Gloomhaven will be arriving shortly... Very excited!

Yeah, I was interested in the Mad Love micro game (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imphouse/mad-love-0?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=mad%20love) but there is no way I would pay 10 bucks shipping for 19 cards...

And I'm also really looking forward to receive Founders. The ship for the EU should be unloaded by now and the games on the way to the distributors.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 13, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, it's really good, and you can usually get it for pennies on the dollar.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SettingSun posted:

and the instructions to open box 2, which contains the actual bases.
Must have missed that. Thanks.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I want to make a game pack that I can keep in my car such that I always have something light on me. The games that I want to put in it would need a space of about 12x12x3. Any case recs that would fit that space? I've been looking at portable DVD player cases, but I don't know if that's where I need to be

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hive?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I did the same but with a deeper box. If you put each game in ziplocks, you can fit a ton of stuff in that 12x12x3, even full size games. Gallon bags would hold a lot of games, and quart bags are perfect for small box stuff.

Travel Oniatama/Tak/Hive pieces in a zip bag

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 13, 2018

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Gotten a couple things that reference them, including an objective, upgrades, and a funded event, but nothing about them.

You may have made the same mistake my Legacy group made in a different month, which was to read the torn-off briefing card but not the space behind it. If you look at the lettered portfolio you'll probably see one of the revealed spaces says "Open Box #9" or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Ziplocking games is amazing for stuff like RfTG or Dominion.