Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ammo explosions and destroying ammo aren't 100% linked I don't think. Or every mech has built in CASE, because i rarely notice ammo explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ammo explosions and destroying ammo aren't 100% linked I don't think. Or every mech has built in CASE, because i rarely notice ammo explosions.

Buy more mg Firestarters and mg Grasshoppers. Ammo explosions are great fun to induce.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Every mech has built in CASE. Ammo explosions only destroy the part they're in.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

A.o.D. posted:

An aerobrick has a lot less internal volume than a rough spherical shape for any given equivalent footprint, plus the union is just plain bigger. The Leopard is slightly more than half the tonnage of the union, but it gives up a whole hell of a lot in order to achieve semi-aerodynamic flight.

I just meant that the Leopard gets 150t cargo per mech/aero bay while the Union cargo refit gets 125t cargo per mechbay.

aka "Battletech isn't very consistent with this sort of thing."

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This isn't in the game at all, but you could also do staggered spawns to reflect travel time. So, your heavy will show up on the map edge on turn 3, and your assault will get there on turn 6.

You would need new missions to make it work well though, otherwise the optimal strategy would be to just wait for your slowest mechs to catch up before pressing forward.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Gwaihir posted:

I just meant that the Leopard gets 150t cargo per mech/aero bay while the Union cargo refit gets 125t cargo per mechbay.

aka "Battletech isn't very consistent with this sort of thing."

A lot of the old dropships were made before there really were any rules to building them. The 3057 'refits' were bringing them in line with the Battlespace rules (though there were still errors).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

McGavin posted:

This is why CT ammo on K2s, Thunderbolts, JM6s, and a few others are terrible mechs stock.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is why CT ammo on K2s, Thunderbolts, JM6s, and a few others are terrible mechs stock.

You are not wrong about "ancestral deathtrap". But wouldn't that still be a problem without Case? Or is no case CT ammo somehow a slight chance to live in an obscure TT rule?

Edit: in hindsight. This is probably me just having wishful thinking about battlefield miracles :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 13, 2018

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Section Z posted:

You are not wrong about "ancestral deathtrap". But wouldn't that still be a problem without Case? Or is no case CT ammo somehow a slight chance to live in an obscure TT rule?

Edit: in hindsight. This is probably me just having wishful thinking about battlefield miracles :downs:

It's "relatively" worse given everything has CASE, since now putting it in a side has 0% chance of blowing up your CT, as opposed to in TT where it's got a good chance of blowing through a significant amount of damage. It doesn't make putting it into the CT a "worse" idea, it just makes putting it literally anywhere else better.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

McGavin posted:

But remember that torso destruction will also lose the arm on that side, so putting ammo in a torso can go very badly very quickly. Really ammo in arms seems safest.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ulmont posted:

But remember that torso destruction will also lose the arm on that side, so putting ammo in a torso can go very badly very quickly. Really ammo in arms seems safest.
Just put the ammo where the weapon is*. Its really the simplest thing that is best.

*Unless it is a CT Weapon

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I swear there's something wonky with the RNG. I miss every called headshot against the hordes of Thunderbolts the game has sent at me, but I've headcapped two King Crabs with Gauss rounds on the first shot. :stare:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hubis posted:

You would need new missions to make it work well though, otherwise the optimal strategy would be to just wait for your slowest mechs to catch up before pressing forward.

But then the other guy's heavy mechs will be there too.

Or you can do time limited objectives, etc.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

ulmont posted:

Just put the ammo where the weapon is*. Its really the simplest thing that is best.

*Unless it is a CT Weapon

Arms are the most fragile part of the mech, however. Ammo on the STs kind of makes sense in skirms to avoid doubling up on injuries (side torso destruction and ammo explosion injuries overlap) but in SP, where the rare equipment and weapon variants are far more valuable than anything else, ammo goes exclusively in the legs and padded with JJs/heatsinks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

But then the other guy's heavy mechs will be there too.

Or you can do time limited objectives, etc.
Why is "Force them to make a suicidal charge" such a common go to non answer for trying to make make light mechs desirable?

"I don't feel like I can use lights anymore because their speed and mobility just doesn't make up for getting blown apart by a mean look."
"TIMED OBJECTIVES"

I mean. The bigger reason I stopped bringing light mechs often was less due to enemy mechs. More because "Oh bring a light mech if you want to catch ambush convoys!" was a pain in the rear end when the convoy consists of demolishers and manticores a 6 small laser firestarter can't stomp to death guaranteed. So still has to wait for the real mechs to catch up to stomp the "Time sensitive (But don't worry it's weaker than a mech!)" targets while it's busy coring out heavy mech rear armor.

Even if you did tone down the enemy enough for a light mech specific mission. no doubt the pay would be equally lessened, so it becomes something there for bored rich to take as a diversion rather than a desirable source of income.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 13, 2018

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Conspiratiorist posted:

Arms are the most fragile part of the mech, however. Ammo on the STs kind of makes sense in skirms to avoid doubling up on injuries (side torso destruction and ammo explosion injuries overlap) but in SP, where the rare equipment and weapon variants are far more valuable than anything else, ammo goes exclusively in the legs and padded with JJs/heatsinks.

The legs seems risky to me. If the ammo gets crit that's two guaranteed injuries - one for the explosion and one for the guaranteed knockdown, regardless of whether the mech was unstable or not. Then you're knocked back on initiative while every enemy takes a called shot and either of the STs going adds another injury. You could feasibly take 3 or 4 injuries in a single combat round from that. Maybe a bit safer if you're padding but I still don't think I like that risk.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Scikar posted:

The legs seems risky to me. If the ammo gets crit that's two guaranteed injuries - one for the explosion and one for the guaranteed knockdown, regardless of whether the mech was unstable or not. Then you're knocked back on initiative while every enemy takes a called shot and either of the STs going adds another injury. You could feasibly take 3 or 4 injuries in a single combat round from that. Maybe a bit safer if you're padding but I still don't think I like that risk.

On the other hand, legs pack as much armor as the STs and have a lower chance to get hit.

What I'm saying is, I'll rather take the chance of, while under heavy sustained fire, a lucky crit though the stripped legs causing a knockdown, than the chance of a lucky crit through the stripped torsos or a back shot taking out 3 or 4 ++ weapons.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah you put ammo in the legs because chance to hit on legs is tiny and they carry a poo poo-ton of armor. Plus you can stuff some heatsinks and/or jump jets on top of the ammo to reduce the chance of it exploding even more if the armor ever gets breached.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Started a new game as a Deep Periphery character and edited my starting mech to be the SLDF Black Knight.

They clearly didn't intend you to get this in a mechbay: it's built with 4 double heat sinks in each leg. They travel off the bottom of the display! XD

Weirdly, I think it does have enough space to fit them elsewhere on the chassis. :shrug:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ninjaiguana posted:

Started a new game as a Deep Periphery character and edited my starting mech to be the SLDF Black Knight.

They clearly didn't intend you to get this in a mechbay: it's built with 4 double heat sinks in each leg. They travel off the bottom of the display! XD

Weirdly, I think it does have enough space to fit them elsewhere on the chassis. :shrug:
I wonder if that is why it is so hot in the campaign mission where you get to use one. I bet that is a typo where there should be 4 singles there?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

ninjaiguana posted:

As someone who did literally the exact same thing I'm pretty sure it's also underweight by default.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

ninjaiguana posted:

How do you change the starting mech? That's cool

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

How do you change the starting mech? That's cool

It's on page 254 of this thread; copied below

Open up C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json and change the line that says

"StartingPlayerMech" : "mechdef_blackjack_BJ-1",

to

"StartingPlayerMech" : "whatever you want", (e.g "mechdef_blackknight_BL-6-KNT",)

This won't happen until after the tutorial, btw, so don't worry that it didn't work if you start a new game and don't see it immediately.

you can look in the folder named 'mech' to see what you need to type in to get each mech. :)

ninjaiguana fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 13, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/214?tab=description

Graphical interface for creating new and updating existing conversation files, including branching dialogue. Who wants to start creating a secondary campaign?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah you put ammo in the legs because chance to hit on legs is tiny and they carry a poo poo-ton of armor. Plus you can stuff some heatsinks and/or jump jets on top of the ammo to reduce the chance of it exploding even more if the armor ever gets breached.

A dev wrote on the official forums that crit padding isn't a thing in this game. If a crit roll hits an empty slot, no crit happens.

So that makes STs somewhat better for ammo storage, as there's more potential slots to hit. But I think legs are so much less likely to get pierced that they're still the best location.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/214?tab=description

Graphical interface for creating new and updating existing conversation files, including branching dialogue. Who wants to start creating a secondary campaign?

Holy cats, the modding scene for this game continues to amaze and delight me. I cannot *wait* to see what the community will have come up with 6 months down the line.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

ninjaiguana posted:

Holy cats, the modding scene for this game continues to amaze and delight me. I cannot *wait* to see what the community will have come up with 6 months down the line.

Honestly, that's one reason I'm not playing Battletech at the moment. I've beaten the main campaign so I'm taking Sumire's advice and just buying a small moon to vacation on. In a few months or a year I'll pick it back up and see what's cooking. In the meantime I'm finally getting around to finishing Pillars of Eternity so I can import into Pillars II.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Now that I’m space rich and have a third King Crab, how should I outfit it? I already have 2xAC20 and SRM Hell crabs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LeschNyhan posted:

Now that I’m space rich and have a third King Crab, how should I outfit it? I already have 2xAC20 and SRM Hell crabs.

Dual Gauss.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
LLAS and AC2 if you're tired of playing on easy mode

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LeschNyhan posted:

Dual Gauss is great if you managed to score that one in a million second Gauss Rifle. If not, then Gauss and a Headcapper AC/10+++ works nearly as well.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

jng2058 posted:

Dual Gauss is great if you managed to score that one in a million second Gauss Rifle. If not, then Gauss and a Headcapper AC/10+++ works nearly as well.

Right right - I’m floating around Yuris and Victoria looking for more ammo to do exactly that, since I did get that bug.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012

jng2058 posted:

Is it actually possible to get a second Gauss without mods?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

You can but it's a bug, if you end the mission with a damaged Gauss rifle from a crit (without it being destroyed), it'll spawn a second one in a shop.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Did the modders create a mod loader / mod installer yet? Or do I have to mess around with lots of individual files?

I'm asking because I'd like to enrich my game a bit with those mods that add more equipment and craziness.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lord Stimperor posted:

Did the modders create a mod loader / mod installer yet? Or do I have to mess around with lots of individual files?

I'm asking because I'd like to enrich my game a bit with those mods that add more equipment and craziness.

https://github.com/Mpstark/ModTek/wiki/The-Drop-Dead-Simple-Guide-to-Installing-BTML-&-ModTek-&-ModTek-mods

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

I wonder if that is why it is so hot in the campaign mission where you get to use one. I bet that is a typo where there should be 4 singles there?

No. The Royal Black Knight uses double heat sinks. It's naturally a very hot-running design that works around bracket fire and isn't meant to alpha-strike. It should run somewhat cooler because the in-engine heat sinks should be doubles, too, so it's effectively missing 30 points of heat sink capacity. (Almost all Black Knight variants are hot-running flashbulbs and generally built around bracket firing.)

Magni fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 15, 2018

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Is it actually possible to get a second Gauss without mods?

The one mod I installed was to enable lostech to show up in stores sometimes - this let's me freak out less when a dhs gets destroyed.

I've finished the campaign and am now roaming the map trying to catch them all. I hadn't seen a single Stalker until I took a 5 star pirate mission near Davion space where the reinforcement lance showed up with 3 of them.

Are different mechs more common in different parts of the map?
I already found a shop with my Urbie parts.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Stimperor posted:

As a followon to the above reply, may I recommend a few mods:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/135 -Firing line mods to see direct, indirect, and occluded firing lines

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/144 -stop scrolling to the top when you sell all of one thing

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/118 -Opens the whole map when you get the Argo

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/137 -panic system that affects accuracy and occasionally makes a pilot eject (super fun)

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/170 -Star League toys! (rare)

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/173 -Better Mechlab descriptons

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/150 -Makes all the Mech Mods straight upgrades instead of some having an extra tonnage

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/204 -Injured pilots lose skill points during a firefight

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/202 -no lovely tanks when it sends you to fight a "heavy Mech"

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/187 -tutorial skip

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/18 -a whole mess of variants to the mechs

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/93 -salvaged mechs start broken

Mostly it's a difficulty increase/QoL set, but I am enjoying the hell out of it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/202 -no lovely tanks when it sends you to fight a "heavy Mech"

but this is the best.