Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Feenix posted:

Am I being too hasty to say that this feels kinda like a really bad version of Fortnite?

It seems like the same as the Xbox One version of Fortnite (I haven't played it on an Xbox One X).

The only good platform is PC anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It seems like the same as the Xbox One version of Fortnite (I haven't played it on an Xbox One X).

The only good platform is PC anyway

It’s pretty rough on Switch. I’m used to 60fps on the One X with a great draw distance.

Switch has some super low res shrubbery and trees. Items fade out and pop back in when you scope (super noticeable in sniper battle.)

All in all it’s a fair trade to play handheld. I played one game and got two kills into the top 15.

Have not tried it docked.

I need gyro aiming though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Beastie posted:

I tried doing that and it keeps linking to some gamer tag my brother made on my Xbox like 3 years ago. I guess I’ll try calling or submit a ticket and wait 100 years.

Log in to the Fortnite website using your XBL account, you'll be prompted to promote its headless account (unless you did promote it and never realize, ,in which case you'll be logged in to your Epic account on the site at that point). Clear your browser cache and cookies if it's bringing up your brother's XBL tag because the only reason it'd do so is because the browser has it stored for whatever reason.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I watched a tree deconstruct ( not pop out, but like shrink down / ungrow.) as I ran past it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Oh yeah I forgot, I aimed down a sniper and saw a full squad run around in like a hill with rocks/trees around that had the lowest textures possible (looked like they didn't even load in) and the game started to dip low in the framerate department.

Honestly I'm kinda impressed by the port.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I logged in with a new account on switch, and pressed the 'play' button from the lobby, like 5 times at least. It gives me an error each time 'something went wrong'. Is this happening to everyone, or do I have to ? open up a port on my router, or some other thing?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

They added a new soccer stadium outside junk junktion with this update. Hadn't seen anyone post it here yet :eng101:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have not played the BR part of the game in a week or so. Busy traveling around and stuff.

I guess if you are fan of soccer is a cool thing? I am a nerd and the only soccer fans I see are the ones that stab each other in the streets or put cars on fire because their team lost.

I *remember* playing videogame soccer games in the 80's. I think a lot of people that only play 1 videogame they play a sport game. So it make sense to link sports with your game to try to attract that public. Overwatch also did it.

It seems to be a cynical thing executives ask developers do to try to increase the userbase to people that would not normally play your game.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Tei posted:

I have not played the BR part of the game in a week or so. Busy traveling around and stuff.

I guess if you are fan of soccer is a cool thing? I am a nerd and the only soccer fans I see are the ones that stab each other in the streets or put cars on fire because their team lost.

I *remember* playing videogame soccer games in the 80's. I think a lot of people that only play 1 videogame they play a sport game. So it make sense to link sports with your game to try to attract that public. Overwatch also did it.

It seems to be a cynical thing executives ask developers do to try to increase the userbase to people that would not normally play your game.

Is this post real

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tei posted:

lmao, what?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Tei posted:

What question are you asking or point are you making here other than that you're obviously better than those soccer fans?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cluncho McChunk posted:

What question are you asking or point are you making here other than that you're obviously better than those soccer fans?

Soccer is a cool thing and Epic is adding soccer fields to the BR map. Somebody was asking a opinion about that. Many people that play videogames only play a sport game, like FIFA. It makes sense for Epic to try to get these people on Fortnite. Kind of like what Nintendo did with the Wii. Wen rappers, actors and politicians openly play your game, you can try to change the demographics of gaming itself.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
You realize the soccer World Cup is about to start yeah?

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Tei posted:

Soccer is a cool thing and Epic is adding soccer fields to the BR map. Somebody was asking a opinion about that. Many people that play videogames only play a sport game, like FIFA. It makes sense for Epic to try to get these people on Fortnite. Kind of like what Nintendo did with the Wii. Wen rappers, actors and politicians openly play your game, you can try to change the demographics of gaming itself.

Kay. I dunno why that necessitated the mention of people stabbing each other and setting cars on fire but that's cool.

I like the new stadium, it's an interesting change. In the games we played yesterday LoudMaus and I landed there a few times and had some real good fights. The general lack of materials coupled with lots of places to get out of sight make it a bit unique to fight in and hopefully it'll pull some folks from the nearby hotspot of Pleasant Park to spread people out a bit more.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

el B posted:

I like how that dude was being interviewed for this charity tournament, and he decided he was going to "come on everyone"

I loving lost it at that, bahaha. Who were those two? Was the come on everyone dude the Fortnite streamer or the "famous" teammate?

Tei posted:

:confuoot:
They added shopping carts too, guess they're pandering to people who buy groceries as well! I love their inclusivity.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

:confuoot:
They added shopping carts too, guess they're pandering to people who buy groceries as well! I love their inclusivity.

I am tryiing to create a build around Bunny Penny. Since she have fast energy regeneration, theres potential here for a hero that can spam skills, or maybe something to do with shields. Theres a hero in tactical that create a shockwave when the shield breaks. I can *sense* theres a OP build around here somewhere, but I have no idea about thicc can be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone know how to force the switch version to log out if it can’t get to the main menu?

I was forced to create a new account yesterday because Sony, but then I got the bright idea to disconnect my PS4 from my main account that is shared with PC and connect my Nintendo account after disconnecting it from the newly created account (all was done at the epic website).

When I go back into fortnite it complains my account can’t be used (because it’s the old account which no longer is linked to my switch) but it gives me no way to log out, just to retry, which obviously doesn’t work.

I tried to delete the games save data but it didn’t change anything. I deleted the whole game and started the redownload, so hopefully that works.

Any ideas?

E: the redownload didn’t fix anything. I officially cannot play fortnite on the Switch :smith:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 13, 2018

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Hello thread, I am completely new to this game. I just started playing on Switch and think this is pretty fun so far, but I'm running into a problem: It seems like the only mode I can play is 50v50, which is fine, but for the life of me, I can't tell who's on my team and who's not. I've seen posts saying to look for green or red chevrons over people, but all the chevrons are white.

So far I've had several games where I find a bunch of other people building something, they don't shoot me so I guess we're on the same team, then I turn a corner and somebody with nothing distinguishing them from the other people kills me instantly.

Is that just how it is, or am I missing something here? I did manage to launch myself in before figuring out how to do such things as "run" and "jump," so I completely believe that I just haven't discovered it yet.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Parasol Prophet posted:

Hello thread, I am completely new to this game. I just started playing on Switch and think this is pretty fun so far, but I'm running into a problem: It seems like the only mode I can play is 50v50, which is fine, but for the life of me, I can't tell who's on my team and who's not. I've seen posts saying to look for green or red chevrons over people, but all the chevrons are white.

So far I've had several games where I find a bunch of other people building something, they don't shoot me so I guess we're on the same team, then I turn a corner and somebody with nothing distinguishing them from the other people kills me instantly.

Is that just how it is, or am I missing something here? I did manage to launch myself in before figuring out how to do such things as "run" and "jump," so I completely believe that I just haven't discovered it yet.

Anybody with a marker above their head is on your team. There's no friendly fire either so if you wanna just open up on literally anyone who crosses your path, go for it!

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Parasol Prophet posted:

It seems that there are a number of graphical issues with the switch version of the game that used to occur in the iOS version of the game. Sounds like you're having those issues, along with some other posters talking about the game on Switch. I'd guess that epic is seeing this stuff crop up and will have a patch out in a few days to a week.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Do we know yet if the switch is on the pc/ps4/bone engine or if it’s on the mobile engine or if it has its own branch?

I’m sure a big digital foundry breakdown is coming as well.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody with a marker above their head is on your team. There's no friendly fire either so if you wanna just open up on literally anyone who crosses your path, go for it!

AAB posted:

It seems that there are a number of graphical issues with the switch version of the game that used to occur in the iOS version of the game. Sounds like you're having those issues, along with some other posters talking about the game on Switch. I'd guess that epic is seeing this stuff crop up and will have a patch out in a few days to a week.

Thanks! I figured there might be a few issues with it just starting out on Switch, but I also hadn't noticed that not everybody had a marker! That makes a lot of sense!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Parasol Prophet posted:

Thanks! I figured there might be a few issues with it just starting out on Switch, but I also hadn't noticed that not everybody had a marker! That makes a lot of sense!

Also enemies never show up on your map but teammates always do, so glancing at the minimal is a good way to tell who you're hanging out with. Also this is definitely a game to play with headphones (especially if you're in portable mode and don't have the benefit of a speaker system) -- being able to hear which way shots or footsteps are coming from is really, really important to survival .

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do we know yet if the switch is on the pc/ps4/bone engine or if it’s on the mobile engine or if it has its own branch?

I’m sure a big digital foundry breakdown is coming as well.

allegedly it's the console/pc engine

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

Modes like the 50v50 are temporal. Don't get too attached to them, because they will go away.

Just now is a good time to learn. Do solo / duos, and learn and pick skills at the same time everyone else. In a month many people skills levels will be insane.. this is a game with a insane high skill ceiling, despite the randomness everywhere. You are better served going on that road, so you at least have one solo victory and one squad victory behind you to know these are not imposibles, just "playing well the cards you get" victories.

I will not reply about everything else, because is already commented. But let me add a thing, LTM's (limited timed modes) are always half-cooked, is the whole point of them to try weird kirk variations of the game. It make total sense if they lack some usability.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the best thing to focus on for a beginner? I have played on PC and PS4, but I never really took the time to :gitgud: and mostly messed around with friends.

Building skills first, shooting, map knowledge, whats the best to focus on?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the best thing to focus on for a beginner? I have played on PC and PS4, but I never really took the time to :gitgud: and mostly messed around with friends.

Basic building. Shooting skills are important, but generally translate from other games once you get used to the cone of fire. Additionally, shotguns are still amazing even with the recent nerf, and building allows good players to quickly get in shotgun range. If you aren’t outbuilding them, you’ll quickly find yourself dead and queueing for a new game.

Start with learning how to quickly get a nice one by one (4 walls, ramp to next level with a few levels built on top of it). Additionally, learn to place ramps and walls to block incoming fire while either retreating or pushing a player.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Shootting and buidling. Get a friend who has every chest location memorized.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I bought STW to help improve aim/gameplay in general

Uhh... what the gently caress is even happening. I am drowning in stupid loot llamas and schematics and weapons but no resources and I can't even figure out how to start a loving game where I SHOOT GOD drat ZOMBIES

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

pzy posted:

I bought STW to help improve aim/gameplay in general

Uhh... what the gently caress is even happening. I am drowning in stupid loot llamas and schematics and weapons but no resources and I can't even figure out how to start a loving game where I SHOOT GOD drat ZOMBIES

I stopped actually playing STW because I’m too dumb to figure out how to craft ammo.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Holding the reload button crafts ammo for your current gun.

Not that you should play STW or that this (or any of the rest of the game) is ever adequately explained

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Shere posted:

Holding the reload button crafts ammo for your current gun.

Not that you should play STW or that this (or any of the rest of the game) is ever adequately explained

I should say how to find or get more materials to craft that ammo. I ran out of bolts and didn’t want to load a mission just to run around smacking cars or whatever.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

blessed be, the toilet bacon

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Emron posted:

I should say how to find or get more materials to craft that ammo. I ran out of bolts and didn’t want to load a mission just to run around smacking cars or whatever.

Oh well that's like 50% of the game so yeah bail on that poo poo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Emron posted:

Yeah you have to do a farming mission from time to time. 😐

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thoughts on the battle pass ITT? Is it fun/worth it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thoughts on the battle pass ITT? Is it fun/worth it?

If you play pvp a lot it is worth it to have goals.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm on Switch, so thats all I'll be playing

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm on Switch, so thats all I'll be playing

Now we’re late in the season, I’d wait for next seasons battle pass. By then, you’ll know if you like the game enough to pay and you’ll get the full benefits of the battle pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

santanotreal posted:

Now we’re late in the season, I’d wait for next seasons battle pass. By then, you’ll know if you like the game enough to pay and you’ll get the full benefits of the battle pass.

All the previous weeks challenges are available regardless of when you buy it, so he can get the full benefit at any time.