Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

GreenNight posted:

I like how Cinemax is finally going to show season 2 of Outcast, long after it was shown in the rest of the world and after it was not renewed for season 3.

Fuckers.

I wonder what is the story behind this whole fiasco. I forgot it even existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There was a podcast where Adam Scott talked about GHOSTED in kind of diplomatic terms but essentially said that the show they pitched and what they thought they were making just didn't work and they knew it wasn't working early on so they retooled it. I thought the lack of excuses about it was fairly refreshing.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm sure Bosch is very well made. But what's the hook? A generic detective drama that's really well executed doesn't really interest me. Is the show more than that?

Not really. It's that type of show but a very well made version of it. S1 was tough for me to get through but I'm really glad I gave it another go when it came back.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Bosch is very well made and keeps getting better but it's fairly standard detective stuff. S1 is one like someone fed every 70s and 80s cop movie and TV series script into a computer and it wrote a new script with the most common plots in descending order.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so the handmaid's tale has turned into Game of Thrones

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For some reason I can not figure out my DVR refuses to record Ghosted. I had no idea it was back since I'm not currently subscribed to Hulu.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

There's a joke there somewhere, but I'm too lazy to figure it out.

It's either the angle the the DVR forgot the show existed it was gone so long or the show itself was ghosting you.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

So, Neil Patrick Harris is sort of a dick.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

so the handmaid's tale has turned into Game of Thrones

Oh, please elaborate?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DrVenkman posted:

So, Neil Patrick Harris is sort of a dick.

He apologized.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm confused. He didn't recognize her, said as much on Twitter, and she got upset because she did an episode of HIMYM a decade ago (it was only 6 years, I have a bad sense of when that show was on) and her husband wrote for the show? Am I missing something? That doesn't seem any worse than "The world didn't need to know that inner monologue comment" but that's just attacking the entire Twitter world.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think I’ll give NPH a pass for this one. It’s more embarrassing than actively lovely, like drat he got owned

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I barely recognize anyone I work with in the office I've been coming to for 15 years.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I'm confused. He didn't recognize her, said as much on Twitter, and she got upset because she did an episode of HIMYM a decade ago (it was only 6 years, I have a bad sense of when that show was on) and her husband wrote for the show? Am I missing something? That doesn't seem any worse than "The world didn't need to know that inner monologue comment" but that's just attacking the entire Twitter world.

Bloom said they hung out recently backstage at a Broadway show, so it didn't seem that long ago. To be fair I think it's that, his weird comment after she said they know eachother and his weirder solicitation of birthday presents that has soured me a little on him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

DrVenkman posted:

Bloom said they hung out recently backstage at a Broadway show, so it didn't seem that long ago. To be fair I think it's that, his weird comment after she said they know eachother and his weirder solicitation of birthday presents that has soured me a little on him.

I mean... he's probably a bit of a dick as literally everyone who decides tweeting out an insult of a random person is worthwhile is. But like, he has no obligation to remember Rachel Bloom as much as she remembers him. He could just be less of a public dick about it... but again... Twitter. And he didn't say anything especially malicious.

I don't know anything about the birthday presents or whatever. I don't usually follow celebrities on Twitter or gossip stuff. I only just looked this up.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know anything about the birthday presents or whatever.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40584826/please-do-not-send-neil-patrick-harris-birthday-gifts-twitter

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I mean... he's probably a bit of a dick as literally everyone who decides tweeting out an insult of a random person is worthwhile is. But like, he has no obligation to remember Rachel Bloom as much as she remembers him. He could just be less of a public dick about it... but again... Twitter. And he didn't say anything especially malicious.

I don't know anything about the birthday presents or whatever. I don't usually follow celebrities on Twitter or gossip stuff. I only just looked this up.

I only noticed it because I follow him on Twitter. He's added a postal address to his Twitter bio and has posted 'suggestions' on what he'd like. I understand people get sent poo poo all the time, but there's a bit of a difference between that and 'here's my address, send me stuff'.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The presents thing mostly reads like a joke to me, except for the address. It’s pretty weird.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like this story as it supports my headcanon of NPH being a mean WeHo gay.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It just sounds like a bad misunderstanding/mistake on a hectic night, anyway. If I were married to someone wrote for NPH's show for like 6 years and had a signed cast photo he wrote on and had hung out w/ him before I'd be pretty salted by those tweets, too, but it isn't the end of the world and he apologized anyway.

e: the tweets were hella innocuous other than his first response, too. the initial one was just him not recognizing her and tweeting one of his kid's thoughts, wasn't it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, no one likes not being remembered. Especially if its by someone you like or admire. But he didn't seem to be trying to attack her. He just made a lame joke to his kid and then made the choice of saying it in a way that the one person who could be hurt by it could see and feel publicly embarrassed by.

But again... that's an indictment of social media at large more than Doogie. Although he too should strive to be less of a casual dick on Twitter.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah it was unfortunate because it turned out he knew her, and to be her and read that backstage while dealing with working the Tonys probably sucked.

Twitter is bad.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

And now he's apologized according to whatever thing I googled. Not recognizing someone on tv seems like the most non-issue thing, come on twitter weirdos.

That birthday presents thing is strange but whatever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

Yeah it was unfortunate because it turned out he knew her, and to be her and read that backstage while dealing with working the Tonys probably sucked.

Twitter is bad.

Maybe don't be loving around on social media while at work?

I'm totally at work right now

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IRQ posted:

That birthday presents thing is strange but whatever.

Yeah, I vaguely am aware that some celebrities do things like make their Amazon Wish Lists public and get gifts from fans and that's maybe a little skeezy but like if Harris somehow has some fan crazy enough to send him some gently caress off expensive gift I just can't work myself to care about that crazed fan getting conned, even if its probably objectively a bad thing for Harris to do. There's bigger assholes for me to get worked up about.

Of course on the other hand if I was a famous guy I'd probably be all "hey, Elon Musk, send me cool poo poo" too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

I'm totally at work right now

me in two hours

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
finished Killing Eve. a couple of draggier episodes towards the end but mostly it was fuckin sick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Oh, please elaborate?

it's going in a game of thrones/house of cards extremely political big picture direction which is quite a departure from the book/first season

edit: it's also become more fantastical, in a good way

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The the partner of someone he worked with six years ago? I know plenty of people in film who don’t even remember what shows they worked on six years ago, much less the partner of someone you worked with and seeing them outside of the context in which you know them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think anyone's calling him a jerk for forgetting her, just that he seemed arrogantly dismissive after that. It's not a big deal anyway, apology made.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Aside from being semi famous in general, she is super famous specifically in musical theater circles, which you would think someone like Neil Patrick Harris, multiple time Tony Awards host, would know.

Anyway, it just shows he's kind of a prat more than anything.

Twitter was a mistake.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
Sorry to interrupt this riveting celebrity gossip slapfight but in actual TV news Comcast has upped their bid on Fox to $65 billion.

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/comcast-bid-fox-disney-media-1202844736/

It's really gonna suck watching television follow the same trajectory as radio and become more monopolistic and homogenized in the face of technology undermining their previous deathgrip on media distribution.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw someone else make this analogy but this situation is like if Disney, Fox, NBC, and others were all in the business of making trucks. But if this Comcast deal goes through then it's like they are making trucks but also own the highway. I firmly believe Comcast would gently caress everything up if the sale goes through. What's stopping Comcast from slowing down access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, while increasing the speeds for their customers for their own inevitable streaming service.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw someone else make this analogy but this situation is like if Disney, Fox, NBC, and others were all in the business of making trucks. But if this Comcast deal goes through then it's like they are making trucks but also own the highway. I firmly believe Comcast would gently caress everything up if the sale goes through. What's stopping Comcast from slowing down access to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, while increasing the speeds for their customers for their own inevitable streaming service.

If they think they can get away with it, they'll do it in a heartbeat

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Would Comcast not get Fox's shares of Hulu or will Fox continue to hold onto them?

Rocksicles posted:

If they think they can get away with it, they'll do it in a heartbeat

"We at Comcast fervently support the principles of Net Neutrality. We just don't believe that the rules that make sure we can't change our position when we feel like it are necessary."

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 14, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Comcast would get Fox's shares of Hulu and the clause that prohibits Comcast from exercising voting rights that came out of the NBCU merger expires this fall. So, Comcast will go from a minority non-voting stake to majority vocal owner nearly instantly.

Buckle up.

Fortunately, I really doubt Comcast is going to win here. Disney can afford to outbid them and I don't know that a bidding war is going to happen since Comcast had to secure outside financing to make this cash offer. By the time they try too round up more backing, the deal with Disney will be closed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Villanelle is so weird.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Comcast would get Fox's shares of Hulu and the clause that prohibits Comcast from exercising voting rights that came out of the NBCU merger expires this fall. So, Comcast will go from a minority non-voting stake to majority vocal owner nearly instantly.

Buckle up.

Fortunately, I really doubt Comcast is going to win here. Disney can afford to outbid them and I don't know that a bidding war is going to happen since Comcast had to secure outside financing to make this cash offer. By the time they try too round up more backing, the deal with Disney will be closed.

Depends on how confident Fox's board is in an all-cash deal for $65 billion, against Disney's future share price (since Disney's bid is largely a stock exchange).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Postal Parcel posted:

Would Comcast not get Fox's shares of Hulu or will Fox continue to hold onto them?

"We at Comcast fervently support the principles of Net Neutrality. We just don't believe that the rules that make sure we can't change our position when we feel like it are necessary."

Hail Corporate.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Lowtax is $70,000 in debt and can't pay for bandwidth. Where y'all going when this dead forum actually dies? I tried reddit and it's not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
I assume when the site goes down for good some enterprising soul will just whip up a new replacementforum from scratch in like a day since they won't be beholden to importing 20 years of posts and users from a completely different forum architecture.

Also ballp.it already has the forum infrastructure (and $10 registration fee) in place and even has its own TV subforum, it just doesn't have as much traffic or activity.