Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thoughts on the battle pass ITT? Is it fun/worth it?

So if you play a lot, you really only need to buy one battle pass ever. This is because you are rewarded with $1 in v-bucks every 10 levels or so (in addition to lots of other cosmetic rewards along the way), so you'll have the $9.50 necessary to buy next season's pass by the end of your current season. It also accelerates leveling up, and the challenges give you some structured stuff to do as you're playing. It's 100% worth it to me, plus this isn't a pay2win game and is constantly being updated, so I want to support that. We're a little over midway through this season, so get it soon if you decide you want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Shere posted:

Oh well that's like 50% of the game so yeah bail on that poo poo.

That sounds awful, definitely just going to log in then. With that and no builder pro, there’s no way I want to play.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Sammus posted:

All the previous weeks challenges are available regardless of when you buy it, so he can get the full benefit at any time.

Yes but if you don’t finish the challenges by the end of the season, don’t you lose out on anything that remained incomplete?

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Emron posted:

That sounds awful, definitely just going to log in then. With that and no builder pro, there’s no way I want to play.

Yeah, there are several arbitrary time sinks that could be practically straight-up deleted with no loss. Ammo crafting is one such thing.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

pzy posted:

I bought STW to help improve aim/gameplay in general

Uhh... what the gently caress is even happening. I am drowning in stupid loot llamas and schematics and weapons but no resources and I can't even figure out how to start a loving game where I SHOOT GOD drat ZOMBIES

the game is very simple once you understand it

you have materials, you can craft weapons if you have the "design" and the materials it require.

you collect materials using your pickaxe on things, or opening crates on the world (anything that show the open ui)

you collect design slowly, some missions have them at rewards, you can collect some premium coins (v-bucks) to buy loot boxes with designs.

once you have a design, you can upgrade it, upgrading it make the weapons crafted from that design better.

you have to do missions to collect xp to upgrade the designs.

you can also upgrade the heroes.

is all a big grind, really

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I literally have no idea what heroes do or how to use them. So far my only gameplay has been being dropped into a match with 2 randos and running out of ammo before all the zombies were dead.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

santanotreal posted:

Yes but if you don’t finish the challenges by the end of the season, don’t you lose out on anything that remained incomplete?

Yes, but the vast majority of the challenges besides "kill x people in y location" are incredibly easy to do in 50v50 or another LTM. And even the kill challenges aren't too troublesome if you just keep landing there.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

pzy posted:

I literally have no idea what heroes do or how to use them. So far my only gameplay has been being dropped into a match with 2 randos and running out of ammo before all the zombies were dead.

well, read the description them

all of them can shot guns, but there are classes, and the soldiers are better at shooting while the ninjas are focused on skills. constructors have small build bonuses and a deployable that make walls stronger

in the PS4 if you press square, you craft more ammo but you need mats like wood, iron and nut&bolts. Is a survival game, you are supposed to go around using your pickaxe on everything, cars, trees... to get resources.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Digging this faster version of 50 vs 50.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cluncho McChunk posted:

I like the new stadium, it's an interesting change. In the games we played yesterday LoudMaus and I landed there a few times and had some real good fights. The general lack of materials coupled with lots of places to get out of sight make it a bit unique to fight in and hopefully it'll pull some folks from the nearby hotspot of Pleasant Park to spread people out a bit more.

I'm gonna miss my beloved four pack. :(

Also expect it to be a madhouse this week, because one the challenges is to get a goal on all three soccer fields.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I'm gonna miss my beloved four pack. :(

Also expect it to be a madhouse this week, because one the challenges is to get a goal on all three soccer fields.

And then add to that another goal is pickaxe damage. Its going to get nice and ugly on those soccer fields :getin:

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Caught the final celeb match just now.

Courage did so well! And he was subbing in for summit. Must feel pretty great to get 500k for your partners charity. :3:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I just picked up it up on Switch and what the gently caress am I doing?

Is there a tutorial mode or something?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Starting to think they hosed this patch up. I can hear enemies from a mile away if they walk around inside a building...but can't hear buildings being built or people walking around on normal turf at similar distances? Uhhh?

Also I thought they said the circle in 50v50 was going to stay central but half of my games have had it in bizarre spots at the extreme ends of the map? :confused:

Edit: Seriously is there a fresh wave of hackers or something? I keep getting damage indicators from angles that I can't possibly be getting shot from and then I die.

Edit2: Digging through Reddit, apparently the v3 changes are causing the servers to melt because too many people are showing up to the first circle in 50v50. But it sounds like they hotfixed it already...yet 50v50 is still full of unexplainable broken crap. Damage indicators are definitely hosed.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 14, 2018

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Anyone playing on switch / xbox / pc in Japan? I'm starting my fortnite career, playing on Switch. Add me! (WizbizJP)

I keep getting my thumbs tied, but having watched a lot of streams helps a lot. I got two victories, 9 and 10 kills, in my first day. Can't wait to get some building skills and muscle memory.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I played this for the first time on Switch last night. I liked it enough to be compelled to play until I finished the Daily Challenge, but I don't know if I actually had -fun,- if that makes sense. I only killed maybe two people over about five games and spent most of my time wandering around by myself breaking stuff until someone else saw and killed me. I think with friends and voicechat though, I could understand why it's become as popular as it is. There's definitely stuff to like if you're into what the game is offering.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Starting to think they hosed this patch up. I can hear enemies from a mile away if they walk around inside a building...but can't hear buildings being built or people walking around on normal turf at similar distances? Uhhh?

Also I thought they said the circle in 50v50 was going to stay central but half of my games have had it in bizarre spots at the extreme ends of the map? :confused:

Edit: Seriously is there a fresh wave of hackers or something? I keep getting damage indicators from angles that I can't possibly be getting shot from and then I die.

Edit2: Digging through Reddit, apparently the v3 changes are causing the servers to melt because too many people are showing up to the first circle in 50v50. But it sounds like they hotfixed it already...yet 50v50 is still full of unexplainable broken crap. Damage indicators are definitely hosed.

Yeap, they've already confirmed that their 50v50 changes indirectly set their servers on fire. PvE had lag spikes once in a while as well in prime time EU.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I only killed maybe two people over about five games and spent most of my time wandering around by myself breaking stuff until someone else saw and killed me.

That's a good half of my games right there, the rest are 'landed, found nothing useful, someone else landed near me and blew me away gg', 'I wandered around until the storm got me because I was an idiot and didn't pay attention' and the rarer 'Was able to hide until single digit players were left and I gave myself away' and 'actually was playing well for once until I forgot to watch out for other players while fighting and got shot in the back'

or the funniest 'got attacked while low on health from fighting, decided to toss a clinger on the jerk before dying, yet still irate I didn't get an explosive elimination credit for it even if it was post- death'

Its FUN!

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
The battle pass is well worth the money if:

1) You enjoy the Battle Royale game.
2) You enjoy the daily challenges.

You'll get skins, sprays, emotes, dances, and even in-game currency that can be used to buy more things from the shop, save for the next battle pass season, or power level your way through this one.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Agreed right there- if you're playing the game pretty much every day, even for a little while, the battle pass is well worth the investment.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finally got my switch logged in. Holy poo poo is 50v50 doooooope. I know it will but I hope it never leaves.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

santanotreal posted:

Now we’re late in the season, I’d wait for next seasons battle pass. By then, you’ll know if you like the game enough to pay and you’ll get the full benefits of the battle pass.

I started in week 8 of last season. I didn't complete anywhere close to all the challenges, but I got far enough to get the 9 V-Buck rewards (somewhere in level 50s) so I could buy the next season battlepass without spending more money.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/1007177179728400384

Hopefully in a month or so most of the toxic pieces of poo poo are gone in Twine Peaks. I doubt they'll ever be gone from Stonewood/Plankerton, though. Seeing as they're fairly rare in Twine Peaks already and I can only imagine what it's like in SW/Plank (it's already fairly bad in CV).

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Player reporting will not help you against people being useless or toxic. And taxing is not against the rules.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Tei posted:

Player reporting will not help you against people being useless or toxic. And taxing is not against the rules.

That depends on your definition on being toxic. I don't care if someone tells me to kill myself. If you're destroying my walls or blocking my poo poo, I'll report you. And I'm hoping Epic is finally going to be doing something about that.

E: And yes of course they're not going to ban people for being useless. That's a slippery slope. Unless you're literally AFKing and ending with sub 100 score in all 3 categories, in which case burn in hell for all I care if you do that consistently.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 14, 2018

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Just as I was getting used to dropping on the crater just outside Fatal Fields, they went and changed it up. Used to be up to 3 chests right around the crater on the ground, now they are spawning in the dump trucks and take more time. They also moved the pop rocks from there :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Just as I was getting used to dropping on the crater just outside Fatal Fields, they went and changed it up. Used to be up to 3 chests right around the crater on the ground, now they are spawning in the dump trucks and take more time. They also moved the pop rocks from there :(

I'll admit the moving hop rocks and chests at crater locations is a little annoying when it comes to choosing where you're gonna drop, but I appreciate the small changes to the map each full patch, keeps it fresh and interesting.

lol

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I played this for the first time on Switch last night. I liked it enough to be compelled to play until I finished the Daily Challenge, but I don't know if I actually had -fun,- if that makes sense. I only killed maybe two people over about five games and spent most of my time wandering around by myself breaking stuff until someone else saw and killed me. I think with friends and voicechat though, I could understand why it's become as popular as it is. There's definitely stuff to like if you're into what the game is offering.

This was me when I started, so I'll tell you what the thread told me: drop at the first named location that the bus flies near. Practice dropping quickly and landing. Get a gun ASAP and get into fights ASAP. If you drop somewhere with houses chests are usually in the attic and the floor guns are usually good too. A grey shotgun or SMG is enough to win early game fights. You need to get to a point where you're actually comfortable taking fights before you can drop further away and try to slow play it. Otherwise all you're doing is collecting loot and bringing it to the first person who finds and kills you.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

prom candy posted:

This was me when I started, so I'll tell you what the thread told me: drop at the first named location that the bus flies near. Practice dropping quickly and landing. Get a gun ASAP and get into fights ASAP. If you drop somewhere with houses chests are usually in the attic and the floor guns are usually good too. A grey shotgun or SMG is enough to win early game fights. You need to get to a point where you're actually comfortable taking fights before you can drop further away and try to slow play it. Otherwise all you're doing is collecting loot and bringing it to the first person who finds and kills you.

This is good advice and is what I did when I first started. Building is a complicated and often unintuitive skill to learn if you want to do more than drop a ramp in front of you but if you learn to fight and win in early fights where houses are cover and no one has a lot of mats you can build(hah!) your building skills as time goes on while still having fun and actually playing the game.

Also make sure you map your weapons and building parts to easily accessible hotkeys. Scrolling and swapping is far too slow to properly react in time.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I swear, getting 7 Chests in Risky Reels should be labelled as (HARD), poo poo is impossible

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I only ever like played like 5 matches of this, am I really missing anything if I just play and don't pay anything? If I want some cosmetics I hear the best thing to do is the battle pass?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

eonwe posted:

I only ever like played like 5 matches of this, am I really missing anything if I just play and don't pay anything? If I want some cosmetics I hear the best thing to do is the battle pass?

There are set cosmetics in the battle pass or you can get the rotating ones with vbux (your e-fortnite monies, 100 vbux = $1 USD). Each battle pass extends over 10 weeks (week 7 of the current one started today) and you can complete all the challenges for the prior weeks all the way through the expiration of the season. The pass is expected to take players 60-80 hours to get to tier 100 on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i guess i should probably wait for the battle pass this time

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Seditiar posted:

Yeap, they've already confirmed that their 50v50 changes indirectly set their servers on fire. PvE had lag spikes once in a while as well in prime time EU.

That explains why I had some 50v50 games the other night where people no more than 40m away from me were updating at about 1 tick every 2 seconds. It was like watching a slideshow, even though my ping was good. I couldn't hit poo poo.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Planetside 2 veterans. Rejoice!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm in a hammock chilling right now by a baseball field, and there's a kickball game going on with an after school group here, and like half of them just all busted into various Fortnite dances, hahaha.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm in a hammock chilling right now by a baseball field, and there's a kickball game going on with an after school group here, and like half of them just all busted into various Fortnite dances, hahaha.

My uncle coaches his twins' little league team and apparently it's pretty common for all of the kids to bust out in Floss or Taking the L after someone makes it home, plus other dances whenever the mood strikes them. Pisses him off every time, though I personally think it's hilarious that a bunch of 10 year olds are doing troll dances during baseball.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

eonwe posted:

The battlepass challenges are pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Cluncho McChunk posted:

This is good advice and is what I did when I first started. Building is a complicated and often unintuitive skill to learn if you want to do more than drop a ramp in front of you but if you learn to fight and win in early fights where houses are cover and no one has a lot of mats you can build(hah!) your building skills as time goes on while still having fun and actually playing the game.

Also make sure you map your weapons and building parts to easily accessible hotkeys. Scrolling and swapping is far too slow to properly react in time.

A good starting point is just wall+ramp to get over someone, or just building walls to slow down the pace of engagement and fight on your terms; as you get further into the game building more than 1-4 stories high will be necessary and you'll pick it up.