Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lmao the most interesting parts in any of the fallout games are weird, off-the-track areas that you stumble upon that have entirely self-contained stories. the best part is going through a vault and figuring out what happened or experiencing it through holotapes or whatever, not staring at a dialog box while some lady tells you to go beat up some radroaches because of caps or whatever.

Sounds like your favorite part of the game are premade quests filled with unique sets and writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

frugalmaster posted:

Dragon Age: Origins did world building better than any TES game. Has better dungeons too.

it's also a completely different game in a completely different genre :confused:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
actually my favorite part of the game is a highway i covered in landmines but nice try

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I have come back from the future because of how worried people are about this game to give you the following hint:

"Is this game going to be fun?" and "Can I play as a supermutant behemoth?" have the same answer :ssh:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

frugalmaster posted:

Unfortunately single player games are kind of a losing prospect in today's world.

Said as "Deep" singleplayer RPGs like Witcher and so on develop massive fanbases and constant praise, alongside "singeplayer experience" type games like nu God of War, The Last of Us and those blowing the doors off repeatedly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

it's the first dungeon the story points you towards. i think you get the first part of fus ro dah from it

so yes, it's one of the interchangeable tedium maps.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WebDO posted:

I have come back from the future because of how worried people are about this game to give you the following hint:

"Is this game going to be fun?" and "Can I play as a supermutant behemoth?" have the same answer :ssh:

Well, you are a real lovely messenger, since your answer is fundamentally wrong.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Yardbomb posted:

Said as "Deep" singleplayer RPGs like Witcher and so on develop massive fanbases and constant praise, alongside "singeplayer experience" type games like nu God of War, The Last of Us and those blowing the doors off repeatedly.

Yeah but look how much money Fortnite made by selling hats or whatever

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Kaal posted:

Sounds like your favorite part of the game are premade quests filled with unique sets and writing.

people that think there aren't quests or writing in this game itt

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frugalmaster posted:

Dragon Age: Origins did world building better than any TES game. Has better dungeons too.

You had to pick the single game with an even shallower world than a Bethesda game. Dragon Age is the default fantasy setting.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

frugalmaster posted:

Unfortunately single player games are kind of a losing prospect in today's world. The kids of today don't want that stuff anymore. It's all multiplayer now. Why do you think two lovely TF2 Clones are pretty much the most profitable games in the world right now?

Yeah, I'm sad to say it but this is 100% true. After the massive flops of God of War, Far Cry 5, Zelda Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey in the last 18 months I think we can say with confidence that single player games just have no future at all. I had really high hopes for Cyberpunk 2077, but after CDProject-Red went bankrupt after the commercial failure that was the single player Witcher 3 I guess there was just no way it was going to happen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's more of a semi modern default fantasy setting because it's tolkien except everyone is horny and covered in blood.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Popete posted:

I don't understand how people don't get that this isn't a mainline Fallout game. This is a open world survival game set in the Fallout universe, if you don't like those kinda games then don't get this. They'll make another proper Fallout 5 after TES releases. Did anyone actually expect another Fallout so soon and at the same time as a TES game is in development?

Just look at this as not a Fallout game because that's what it is.

They had to pick between making a mianline game, or a MMO game. They chose the latter, thus signalling a dark era for RPGs coming out of Bethesda studios. It's not like this non-mainline game cost no resources that could have been used to produce a decent RPG.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WebDO posted:

Thank you future man for telling me I can finally PUNCH YOUR BLOOD

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I think it's more of a semi modern default fantasy setting because it's tolkien except everyone is horny and covered in blood.

But at least DAO does indeed have fun dungeons and gameplay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You say that but I couldn't finish it because I got so bored of it and the writing was so godawful that I couldn't stand any more of it.

Bethesda writing might be a bit uninspired but it's not actively repellant.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

They had to pick between making a mianline game, or a MMO game. They chose the latter, thus signalling a dark era for RPGs coming out of Bethesda studios. It's not like this non-mainline game cost no resources that could have been used to produce a decent RPG.

I imagine Fallout 76 is costing them a lot less resources than a mainline Fallout game especially in the art and writing department. They are making a mainline TES game which probably is consuming the majority of their resources. This is the first time they've made both a Fallout and TES game at the same time, I wouldn't have expected them to put out a mainline Fallout game and this is decidedly not one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if you're going to make a fallout spinoff game I'd have much prefered new vegas HD in the fallout 4 engine tyvm.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Donovan Trip posted:

I mean "quests" insomuch as the crap Preston would barf at you and clog up your log with when you tried avoiding him at a settlement from the sound of things.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Donovan Trip posted:

50s guy was saying fallout 76 will be good because it won't have writing, yet said his favorite part of fallout is reading things

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Your Computer posted:

it's also a completely different game in a completely different genre :confused:

Is it really?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

50s idiot was saying fallout 76 will be good because it won't have writing

not only did i not say this, i already know fallout 76 is going to have 'writing'. it's just probably not going to have a boring, overarching story that i hate having to do on alternate characters.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Donovan Trip posted:

They basically said as much. Sounds like its basically lore terminals and (I suspect) radiant quests from holotape/etc drops.

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you're going to make a fallout spinoff game I'd have much prefered new vegas HD in the fallout 4 engine tyvm.

How about an isometric title from Obsidian?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The deep quests in the mobs respawing machine.

OwlFancier posted:

You say that but I couldn't finish it because I got so bored of it and the writing was so godawful that I couldn't stand any more of it.

Bethesda writing might be a bit uninspired but it's not actively repellant.

You ain't wrong, but DAO was the only CRPG of its sort before Obisidian started making its own games, so it was easy to forgive the garbage story and cumbersome prose.

THe sequels are unmitigated garbage, though, since they got rid of the gameplay system and only kept the character interactions.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

frugalmaster posted:

Is it really?

yes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frugalmaster posted:

How about an isometric title from Obsidian?

Nah, there is nothing wrong with the 3D FPS system Bethesda made for FO4. It just needs to be licensed to somebody who employs at least semi-literate staff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

No.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not only do Iove FO3 and 4,i have enjoyed all the Dragon Ages. Even DA2! And I liked Andromeda but it's not all that good.

The disease is inside me

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

There was a bright era for Bethesda RPGs?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

2house2fly posted:

its called yer livin in it, buddy

frugalmaster
Jun 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

Duh. Morrowind.

Morrowind & Skyrim are much better games than Oblivion.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The noclip documentary shows some promising stuff, but I'm still on the fence about how much I'll enjoy the multiplayer aspects. I guess I'll preorder it to get in the beta and if I don't like it I'll just cancel.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

2house2fly posted:

Well, Bethesda games always have this period of time of getting to know them when you are not ENTIRELY sure the game sucks balls, now with a microtransaction MMO FPS, even that is gone.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frugalmaster posted:

Duh. Morrowind.

Morrowind & Skyrim are much better games than Oblivion.

Daggerfall has that big world full of random places that serve no purpose to a plotline that this thread craves tho

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Azhais posted:

They basically said as much. Sounds like its basically lore terminals and (I suspect) radiant quests from holotape/etc drops.

i can practically guarantee there will be 'writing' in at least a sizable portion of the places you go. it won't be delivered by awful NPCs, but stuff like the Salem witchcraft museum and that pit in the quarry with the devil knife in it were still things that had to be 'written', even if not in the context people might imagine.

going back as far as to Morrowind a big part of Bethesda designing spaces has been to put an interesting hook or something in most places, even if it's just notes by a skeleton or told by the weird loot in an area.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

Daggerfall has that big world full of random places that serve no purpose to a plotline that this thread craves tho

Don't you remember the thrill you felt exploring [MAP CELL 320:125] after you discovered it with no help whatsoever from NPC?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i can practically guarantee there will be 'writing' in at least a sizable portion of the places you go. it won't be delivered by awful NPCs, but stuff like the Salem witchcraft museum and that pit in the quarry with the devil knife in it were still things that had to be 'written', even if not in the context people might imagine.

going back as far as to Morrowind a big part of Bethesda designing spaces has been to put an interesting hook or something in most places, even if it's just notes by a skeleton or told by the weird loot in an area.

Here's a hint, genius, the appeal of Fallout has never been about reading lovely holotapes or about bumping into broken physics objects that look like a dildo loving a teddy bear if you squint your eyes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Honestly some Bethesda world building stuff is really good, like the terminal entries from a National Guard officer who tried to keep order after the Great War in Fallout 3. That kind of thing makes it that much more frustrating that their main quests are "have you seen my son? He's a baby, maybe you'd recognize him. Have you seen my boy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
ES6 and Starfield are going to be single player Bethesda games.

Fallout 76 isn't "mainline", but they have said it will flesh out the lore of the universe.

There are quests, but no NPC humans.