Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheScott2K posted:

You don't scream any of that. Some onscreen puppet does. You have no agency regarding what he barks when you press the Shoot Button, nor do you have any when it comes to whether or not you commit the game's violence. The game is trying to blow your mind by calling out things "you" did but really the game did it. There isn't a Surrender Button, or a Go Home Button. The twist is just dumb edgelord bullshit designed to impress dumb people.

What are these "character arcs" and "plot progression" you speak of in films? It's just actors lying to your over the screen!
- The Scott2K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
:shrug: Ludonarrative dissonance is a thing and it strongly undermines everything Spec Ops The Line is doing.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Specops gameplay isn’t fun either way even if it did make liberals realize that maybe war and white phosphorusing people are bad.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Quote-Unquote posted:

Fight Night in general was loving amazing and it's a drat shame the people responsible now just do terrible games where 90% of the fight involves hugging each other

I had a friend obsessed with Fight Night 3 or 4 and it looked really lovely and bad.

He was all about technique and practice and everyone online just dominated by smashing the haymaker button repeatedly since the game was so poorly made it interrupted combos and stunned people 10 times more than any other punch. I'd watch him just beat the poo poo out of someone for a solid 30 seconds with low/high attacks and combination moves then get instantly stunned by the 34th haymaker in a row the other guy had been throwing the entire time waiting to connect.

The worst part was the N64 Wrestling game level announcing.

"Oh another HAY MAKER"
"DEVASTATING SERIES OF HAY MAKERS"
"Oh another HAY MAKER"
"Oh another HAY MAKER"

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 14, 2018

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I can vouch. Haymakers were mad stupid in FN3

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

TheScott2K posted:

:shrug: Ludonarrative dissonance is a thing and it strongly undermines everything Spec Ops The Line is doing.

I'd say the mission "Death From Above" in COD 4 that Yager was aping is a lot more effective at highlighting the disconnect between technological detachment and actual consequences.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ChazTurbo posted:

I can vouch. Haymakers were mad stupid in FN3

Yeah I think 4 made them better because if you whiffed one you'd use up a huge chunk of stamina and basically be useless for a few seconds.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
And they fixed haymakers champions.ugh. gently caress.

Roots too..

Whatever

Assholes

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Fight night round three was loving sick but you couldn't play it online, haymakers were too stupid

I don't know why people stopped trying to make games give real feedback, FN/Skate/Old tiger woods titles were occasionally janky but their control schemes just felt so good. For a period there on the 360 it felt like people were really getting a handle on how to program control schemes but noooope now it's 2018 and everything is either a first person shooter or The Dark Souls Of <blank> Games

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Speaking of, steep was the best sports game this decade. Unless tiger woods golf was this decade, i dunno.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

The Division was a clown show at launch, but every time it gets brought up someone jumps in to mention how they fixed everything and it's a really good game now. I played it for the first time recently and still found it boring and lovely. I feel like they combined the worst parts of loot-grind RPGs and serious military shoot-mans.

I emptied a 149-round box mag into an enemy’s head and it didn’t die. It’s the most tediously bulletspongy garbage ever.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheScott2K posted:

I agree with this.

It's really lame commentary to criticize the player for playing your game. You're not fooling anybody. The only way to see your 'genius' commentary is to keep doing the thing the game shits on you for doing. It wasn't any better in Far Cry 3 or numerous other games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheScott2K posted:

:shrug: Ludonarrative dissonance is a thing and it strongly undermines is the unambiguous point of everything Spec Ops The Line is doing.

Blazing Ownager posted:

An opinion both unpopular and very wrong.

To this day I've never seen a game where your main character so subtly falls apart over it. I think my favorite thing in the game is how you begin looking all clean & crisp and when you target people you scream stuff like "Hostile, 6 O'Clock!" or "Tango down," but by the end you look like a bloody wreck and the targeting messages have changed to "KILL THAT FUCKER OVER THERE!" style dialogue.

It's very well done, and the shooting is as fun as an 8/10 game, it's fine, good even. It's not DooM... but what is?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

spec ops was especially notable when it came out because it was during the 360 period where we were truly overrun with schmucky cover shooters

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Caesar Saladin posted:

spec ops was especially notable when it came out because it was during the 360 period where we were truly overrun with schmucky cover shooters

it was a little late for that, and honestly many of them played better than spec ops, including kane and lynch and army of two.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panzeh posted:

it was a little late for that, and honestly many of them played better than spec ops, including kane and lynch and army of two.

Kane and Lynch 2 was good with its hosed up low-fi aesthetic, the first was p dull iirc.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

VictorianQueerLit posted:

"Oh another HAY MAKER"
"Oh another HAY MAKER"
"Oh another HAY MAKER"

THE UNDERTAKER ... now has ... the TWISTY, ROCKETS.
THE UNDERTAKER ... just grabbed ... the TWISTY, ROCKETS.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about but now I'm picturing a world where Pac-Man has similar sub-sequels to Street Fighter

Ms. Pac-Man Ultra Champion Turbo Edition

the best Pac-Man until Championship Edition DX, which exists, is Jr. Pac-Man with a bootleg speed mod or turbo button

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

sebmojo posted:

Kane and Lynch 2 was good with its hosed up low-fi aesthetic, the first was p dull iirc.

I also liked Kane and Lynch 2. I especially liked its length - it would have worn really thin if they'd stretched it out into some 15-hour bullshit. Short games are underrated.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I had a friend obsessed with Fight Night 3 or 4 and it looked really lovely and bad.

He was all about technique and practice and everyone online just dominated by smashing the haymaker button repeatedly since the game was so poorly made it interrupted combos and stunned people 10 times more than any other punch. I'd watch him just beat the poo poo out of someone for a solid 30 seconds with low/high attacks and combination moves then get instantly stunned by the 34th haymaker in a row the other guy had been throwing the entire time waiting to connect.

"Oh another HAY MAKER"
"Oh another HAY MAKER"
"Oh another HAY MAKER"

gently caress I was obsessed with fight night 4 back in 2009

Played for about a year and got to be in the world’s online top 10 for a couple of days, no gimmicks just strategy, reaction time and good tactics based on adapting to opponent.

It was impossible to stay at the top because the game had a “slide backwards” move that made you unbeatable, and had no downsides, so once the other guy started losing, they spammed it to avoid a loss. It was too cheesy for me to adopt. Also these top 10 guys were glued to the game, you had to play for at least 4-6 hours every day to stay up there. Go to sleep and you’d drop several positions.

EA didn’t give a gently caress about it once the UFC game was announced though. And I don’t understand why they don’t port those to PC

Other than that it was an awesome game and got me into boxing and the UFC. JOE FRAZIER :rock:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sardonik posted:

Molyneux' Black and White could have been pretty drat good without the bullshit influence radius stuff.

X's don't work like that, SIR.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

turning on public voice chat or general chat in games is unthinkable to me at this point. even playing with goons feels weird

I am becoming an old

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
"Character Action" is the dumbest name for a genre ever. It could literally mean anything, and doesn't come close in describing accurately what the genre is about.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 14, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

punk rebel ecks posted:

"Character Action" is the dumbest name for a genre ever. It could literally mean anything, and doesn't come close in describing accurately what the genre is about.

Ive never liked Survival Horror or Rougelike either but hey, sometimes the community is full of dopes who call things stupid names

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Like I guess Survival Horror is a good name for RE but later games mostly aped the control scheme and camera angles and not so much the survival or horror aspects. You were drowning in ammo and mana in PE2 for example, you never really had any scarcity of resources like you did in RE

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

And rougelike is silly just because the name itself meant "games derived from Rogue" until about 2011 when the meaning suddenly shifted to Permadeath and later Permadeath with persistant unlocks. Why are these not Permadeath games?

JRPG is another one, Ive seen people calling fuckin Yakuza a JRPG. For a very long time JRPG was synonymous with Dragon Quest. The name should really be changed to Command RPG or something

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

gently caress I was obsessed with fight night 4 back in 2009

Played for about a year and got to be in the world’s online top 10 for a couple of days, no gimmicks just strategy, reaction time and good tactics based on adapting to opponent.

It was impossible to stay at the top because the game had a “slide backwards” move that made you unbeatable, and had no downsides, so once the other guy started losing, they spammed it to avoid a loss. It was too cheesy for me to adopt. Also these top 10 guys were glued to the game, you had to play for at least 4-6 hours every day to stay up there. Go to sleep and you’d drop several positions.

EA didn’t give a gently caress about it once the UFC game was announced though. And I don’t understand why they don’t port those to PC

Other than that it was an awesome game and got me into boxing and the UFC. JOE FRAZIER :rock:

I loved Fight Night Champion but my legacy guy is maxed out and every fight on the hardest difficulty is a 2 round roflstomp. I still have fun absolutely dunking on dudes but then there’s all the bullshit waiting around for weeks to pass and training to load. I’d probably just sit there and keep playing if they just let me go from title defence fight to title defence fight with minimal downtime murdering dudes barely even trying

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I agree, but I also can't think of anything better. It's helpful to have some sort of term to differentiate games like DMC or Bayonetta from other kinds of melee-focused action games, because they're definitely a specific sort of action game experience.

Meme Emulator posted:

JRPG is another one, Ive seen people calling fuckin Yakuza a JRPG. For a very long time JRPG was synonymous with Dragon Quest. The name should really be changed to Command RPG or something

"RPG" in general is very difficult to pin down as a genre label. If a game becomes an RPG when you have narrative choices, that would make Dragon Quest not an RPG; if a game becomes an RPG when you have leveling up, stats, and gear, then a whole bunch of games people probably wouldn't consider RPGs are going to technically fall under that umbrella; if an RPG has to have turn-based combat, a whole lot of games we generally think of as RPGs don't qualify anymore.

The best I can do is figure that there must be some point at which the balance between the effect of a player's mechanical/tactical skill versus the effect of a character's numerical stats reaches a point at which it's an RPG and not just an action game with a progression system. Maybe it's also the breadth of options available that matters, too. I wouldn't call God of War PS4 an RPG, even though it has gear and skills and loot, and that might be because no matter what you do, Kratos fights with specific weapons in a specific style--you can customize him within those boundaries to a degree, but never totally reinvent him as an archer or something.

The whole thing where people call anything that resembles an RPG and came from Japan a JRPG annoys the hell out of me, too. When I'm looking for a JRPG to play, I'm looking for something like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or maybe Tales on the more action-oriented end of it, not something like Dark Souls.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

skooma512 posted:

I loved Fight Night Champion but my legacy guy is maxed out and every fight on the hardest difficulty is a 2 round roflstomp. I still have fun absolutely dunking on dudes but then there’s all the bullshit waiting around for weeks to pass and training to load. I’d probably just sit there and keep playing if they just let me go from title defence fight to title defence fight with minimal downtime murdering dudes barely even trying

I couldn't get into FNC due to the 30fps lock. It was a totally different game for me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
At the same time though I would absolutely consider Souls games to be RPGs and they are from Japan.

So yes, I agree with everything said about the term RPG. at this point it seems more like a modifier for a genre than a genre itself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

At the same time though I would absolutely consider Souls games to be RPGs and they are from Japan.

So yes, I agree with everything said about the term RPG. at this point it seems more like a modifier for a genre than a genre itself.

Yeah, one problem is that JRPG is a very bad label because a literal reading of it would be "any RPG from Japan," but I don't think that's a useful genre category to define. I wouldn't consider Dark Souls a JRPG, even though it's an RPG that comes from Japan. I would consider Anachronox a JRPG, even though it was made in the US, because it has all the mechanical genre elements that the archetypal JRPGs have.

Or, like, Secret of Evermore. Secret of Mana is a JRPG and Secret of Evermore is nearly identical in terms of gameplay and structure, but Secret of Evermore was developed in the US. I'd say that's still a JRPG.

It's tough to change the name of a genre, I guess. I'd love it if JRPG, meaning Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest or whatever type RPGs, had a different name that didn't come with an assumed country of origin, but how would you ever drive adoption of a new term after all this time, y'know?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i really like that "command RPG" term suggested by meme emulator and am totally going to start using it

it encompasses a lot of the genre because even in more action oriented games like tales or ffxii or whatever there's still commands being set up/issued

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It does seem to fit.

One downside is that it would share the acronym "CRPG" with the "computer RPG" term used to describe games like Baldur's Gate, but on the other hand, those games are all about issuing or setting up commands to multiple characters in battle, so I don't think that'd too bad a thing. People already try to differentiate CPRGs in the Infinity Engine style (recent examples being Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny) from other similar RPGs so, hey.

Command RPG vs. action RPG, basically?

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
I always considered games like dark souls to be ARPGs.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ComRPG

X-Com RPG

Or just CRPG nobody uses computers to play games anyway

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Harrow posted:

I agree, but I also can't think of anything better. It's helpful to have some sort of term to differentiate games like DMC or Bayonetta from other kinds of melee-focused action games, because they're definitely a specific sort of action game experience.

I just refer to them as "Deep Mechanical Combat" games as that describes exactly what makes them different than from hack-n-slash titles like God of War. It also gets bonus points for having the acronym of DMC which is homage to the game that started it all and has people understand immediately what you mean by saying something is part of the "DMC genre".

Harrow posted:

The whole thing where people call anything that resembles an RPG and came from Japan a JRPG annoys the hell out of me, too. When I'm looking for a JRPG to play, I'm looking for something like Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or maybe Tales on the more action-oriented end of it, not something like Dark Souls.

The worst is when people won't call games like Undertale and Cosmic Star Heroine JRPGs because they were made in the West.

Meme Emulator posted:

Like I guess Survival Horror is a good name for RE but later games mostly aped the control scheme and camera angles and not so much the survival or horror aspects. You were drowning in ammo and mana in PE2 for example, you never really had any scarcity of resources like you did in RE

The only popular series I've played lately with survival horror elements is the Metro series.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 14, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Perhaps I'm discovering a new unpopular videogame opinion because I don't give a poo poo about genre definitions at all

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
every game is an rpg when u think about it

and all the world a stage

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

It was a useful term when every RPG from japan was trying to get in on that Dragon Quest money but those days are 10+ years gone by now and we are only using them through cultural inertia now.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Whatever they call the Soulsbourne genre is bound to be stupid as poo poo. Assuming they don't pull a Metroidvania and go with "Soulsbourne".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jeza posted:

Perhaps I'm discovering a new unpopular videogame opinion because I don't give a poo poo about genre definitions at all

Theyre silly. If anything we should just have a collection of agreed upon modifiers.

Like RPG is character growth. Command will be picking options off a menu. Survival can be having to maintain your characters health through non combat means. Action will be preserving your characters health through combat. Platforming will be preserving your characters health through navigation of the game world. Puzzle will be needing to solve game challenges that have one specific solution in order to proceed, so like The Witness would slot in here. Some other term would be needed for things like Tetris or Puyo Puyo which have many ways to solve the problem of your falling blocks depending on how you sort them in your field.