Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

En Fuego posted:

REBOOT KINDRED

They did, it was called Blade: The Series and it was excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

They did, it was called Blade: The Series and it was excellent.

you're god damned right it was

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I just wish we were on our 3rd or 4th entry in a robust WtF tactics rpg already.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Or any game at all really.

"Hot on the heels of cult classic, Vampire: Bloodlines is loving nothing at all!" for like 20 years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I really want that Wraith: the Great War video game.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I just wish we were on our 3rd or 4th entry in a robust WtF tactics rpg already.

Give it to Harebrained Schemes to do. It's all under the Paradox umbrella now.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Or any game at all really.

"Hot on the heels of cult classic, Vampire: Bloodlines is loving nothing at all!" for like 20 years.

Yeah. I mean these are popular enough properties. Eventually someone is gonna make CofD with the serial numbers filed off into a video game and Onyx Path might as well cash in.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Atrocious Joe posted:

Give it to Harebrained Schemes to do. It's all under the Paradox umbrella now.

Harebrained only does FASA and random game ideas.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Eventually someone is gonna make CofD with the serial numbers filed off into a video game and Onyx Path might as well cash in.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

How is gravely man game? I was slightly turned off by the fact that it seems to have the ur-protagonist in it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Mendrian posted:

How is gravely man game? I was slightly turned off by the fact that it seems to have the ur-protagonist in it.

I wouldn't know, since I haven't played it, but most reviews paint it with the same praise and condemnation that Bloodlines had: interesting story, memorable NPCs, good interactions with said NPCs with lasting choices that have meaning, but a buggy system with a broken and boring combat system.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah. I mean these are popular enough properties. Eventually someone is gonna make CofD with the serial numbers filed off into a video game and Onyx Path might as well cash in.

Sadly Paradox owns ChroD, so it's unlikely they'll ever get any money out of a video game therefrom.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Slimnoid posted:

with lasting choices that have meaning

That was a thing in VtMB? I haven't replayed it that many times, but my recollection is that the "meaningful choices" amounted to the Therese/Jeanette thing (which doesn't actually have much impact beyond that point) and selecting which ending you want from a drop-down menu.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Terrorforge posted:

That was a thing in VtMB? I haven't replayed it that many times, but my recollection is that the "meaningful choices" amounted to the Therese/Jeanette thing (which doesn't actually have much impact beyond that point) and selecting which ending you want from a drop-down menu.

The lasting choice I see brought up regarding VtM:B is how you deal with making Heather your ghoul

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Mendrian posted:

The pacing is awful if you actually talk to the npc's. Move up the story a bit, spend the next hour reading /listening. Rinse repeat.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There is also no humor in it whatsoever beyond one deadpan woman with Cotard’s Syndrome

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's fun and I'm hooked, but it's ~*~very serious~*~*

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Hey yall go see Hereditary. It will give you some ideas.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
x-post from a GBS thread:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Ghost hitman for the real estate syndicate, the world's most disappointing reality show premise

That sounds like a really cool Geist game, actually. I'd absolutely be down with this story set in a near-future cyberpunk Tokyo, where shadowy developers bribe back-alley cybermancers to upgrade their agents with Necrodyne implants.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
There was a comic about that, depending on where you put the emphasis on ghost hitman. Red Light Properties, wacks ghosts for his family's real estate business.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I have a question about Demon. I've been trying to collect the CofD books and I'm not sure where the line falls. Is it tail end nWoD or was it released after CofD?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I have a question about Demon. I've been trying to collect the CofD books and I'm not sure where the line falls. Is it tail end nWoD or was it released after CofD?

Both. Demon was released after the God-Machine Rules Update (which contained the meat of what would become the Chronicles updates) but before the full CofD concept was realized, which in some ways makes it the last nWoD splatbook and in others the first CofD. Mechanically it's CofD-compliant so if I were you I'd get it for the collection, but the book itself shows its place as an awkward "WoD 1.5" product. For example, rather than containing the base rules as of CofD like say Werewolf 2nd does, it assumes you own the original 1ed World of Darkness blue book and contains only a rules update explaining what has been changed.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

So does owning the core CofD work as well?

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So does owning the core CofD work as well?

Sure. It's probably better, honestly. It's much easier to grokk when it's presented cohesively than learning an outdated ruleset and then going "okay, now change the following things:"

If you've never read the the nWoD corebook there may be a few references to things that you don't recognize, but generally in the form of
"Hey, you know how we used to do this thing?"
"No?"
"Well good because we don't do that any more."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Well sounds good enough for me. Thanks!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I checked to see if 'Gregorian House' music was a real thing and it turns out that while it isn't, someone did their damnedest to make it a thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1q9DgbTl60

So I guess that's my Mage soundtrack covered. Also probably works for Geist and certain varieties of Vampire games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Demon core book is also just a bit of a mess organizationally in general. I love the game to death and I don't know if there are really enough mechanical problems to justify sweeping changes in a second edition, but there are so many important details in it that are only mentioned conversationally in a huge block of text in a single instance in the whole book.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Something that could really use updating and clarification are Ciphers. They're a neat concept, but they really need better mechanics and better integration into what the game is about. As it is, they feel like something that was bolted on at the last minute.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Demon is great, but it's pretty complex and STing it is pretty labor-intensive, and the amount of information that's either missing or hidden in obscure locations doesn't help.

My current favorite example is how the book talks a big game about how one of the major motivations demons have for forming Agencies and otherwise interacting with one another is the buying and selling of Covers, but the rules for how any of that actually works are found as an unindexed footnote in the back end of the short story collection.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Something that could really use updating and clarification are Ciphers. They're a neat concept, but they really need better mechanics and better integration into what the game is about. As it is, they feel like something that was bolted on at the last minute.

I never found Ciphers unclear. The problem with Ciphers is that they're straight-up "hey GM. Design three new interesting, character-appropriate, and mechanically balanced powers for each player in your group, oh by the way there might as well be a strict deadline of the third session before you need the first batch, and if the player is lucky and reckless you might need it by the first one. Have fun!"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
There's also a side of "hey, GM, decide what the in-setting purpose of this character element actually is, and come up with a philosophical truth to give each character, and decide whether it's actually good advice or secretly bad advice."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Demon core book is also just a bit of a mess organizationally in general. I love the game to death and I don't know if there are really enough mechanical problems to justify sweeping changes in a second edition, but there are so many important details in it that are only mentioned conversationally in a huge block of text in a single instance in the whole book.

This is kind of my problem with WoD books in general. While I love reading the books, using it as an actual reference document is at best annoying and at worst a total nightmare. It makes me wish that there was some "rules-only" concise version that cuts out all the flowery bullshit (which would probably just be 50 pages at most of rules and then no one would want to sell it).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yeah. Sadly Demon was one of those games that I really like but the game itself thinks I'm way more clever than I actually am.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Slimnoid posted:

This is kind of my problem with WoD books in general. While I love reading the books, using it as an actual reference document is at best annoying and at worst a total nightmare. It makes me wish that there was some "rules-only" concise version that cuts out all the flowery bullshit (which would probably just be 50 pages at most of rules and then no one would want to sell it).

I think you'll like how we're presenting mechanics text in Geist 2e.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

My Mage players are gearing up to infiltrate a Seer operation, which is a mid-sized tech company. I want the big defensive trap to be a pocket dimension that’s an infinite maze of open-plan office space that gets weirder and weirder the further in you go, to the point where they’re constantly being attacked by animated office equipment in a jungle made of towering standing desks and trash cans overflowing with paper.

I need help figuring out how the players actually escape it. A group of mages powerful enough to fill an infinite pocket dimension full of flying staplers would be powerful enough to prohibit teleporting out, stepping into the spirit world, etc. and, more importantly, I don’t want the answer to be as simple as “well I guess I teleport us out”. What weak points should I build into this so that the players have a reasonable degree of ability to escape besides brute force?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don’t know anything about mage but I know that when GMing it’s better to err on the side of fun than consistency. As long as they can’t immediately sidestep the setpiece there’s no reason why teleportation should be totally verboten.

As for what weaknesses the place might have, well, maybe the bad guys were overconfident and missed something. Maybe the place has a mind of its own and can be appeased or even turned. Maybe it’s like an angel and can be overpowered if you play by its office-themed rules. I don’t know how mage works, just make a thread that the group can pull on to unravel the knot

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

blastron posted:

My Mage players are gearing up to infiltrate a Seer operation, which is a mid-sized tech company. I want the big defensive trap to be a pocket dimension that’s an infinite maze of open-plan office space that gets weirder and weirder the further in you go, to the point where they’re constantly being attacked by animated office equipment in a jungle made of towering standing desks and trash cans overflowing with paper.

I need help figuring out how the players actually escape it. A group of mages powerful enough to fill an infinite pocket dimension full of flying staplers would be powerful enough to prohibit teleporting out, stepping into the spirit world, etc. and, more importantly, I don’t want the answer to be as simple as “well I guess I teleport us out”. What weak points should I build into this so that the players have a reasonable degree of ability to escape besides brute force?

Even a pocket dimension still has to comply with federally regulated safety laws. Exits must be clearly marked and accessible in case of emergency.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also you should absolutely make the players wade through an office ball pit where the balls attack them like tiny, colorful Langoliers.

Maybe check the news for other kinds of excessive bullshit that Silicon Valley tech firms have pulled for inspiration, too.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 14, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Even a pocket dimension still has to comply with federally regulated safety laws. Exits must be clearly marked and accessible in case of emergency.

After poo poo takes a turn for the surreal have them spot a giant flaming exit sign in the distance. It's not actually a lie, but you want them to be suspicious of it. If they actually manage to make it that far then them must defeat a golem made out of time clocks, exit signs, lockers, and snippets of payroll software given form.

Defeating the golem reveals the exit.

Because you see, it's a fire escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

After poo poo takes a turn for the surreal have them spot a giant flaming exit sign in the distance. It's not actually a lie, but you want them to be suspicious of it. If they actually manage to make it that far then them must defeat a golem made out of time clocks, exit signs, lockers, and snippets of payroll software given form.

Defeating the golem reveals the exit.

Because you see, it's a fire escape.
:nfpa: