Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Lego album covers(ish)

https://www.instagram.com/lego_albumcover/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I want an official Sean Connery minifig.

Here you go.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hey, I have that!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Want a DB5 and an Esprit.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What if it is another 300$ pseudo technic monstrosity?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then we won't see it until 2020 if they stick to a pattern.

They haven't announced their summer creator car yet so it's pretty obvious to me this is what they're teasing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Creator Expert DB5 or bust.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

All transparent bricks so it's the one from Die Another Day

but seriously put an ejector seat in there regardless of which one it is and if it actually had one because c'mon

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The rotating number-plates are going to be tiles you swap out, I bet.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

The rotating number-plates are going to be tiles you swap out, I bet.

Is there even a way to rotate a 1x4 or smaller tile?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Waltzing Along posted:

A handful of 1x1 Travis bricks with holes on the sides skewered by a rod with long tile plates as the license plates and some kind of flipper contraption (or just manual finger rotation.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Travis brick. :v:

Stick an antenna through it, put a technic bush on it, wrap a rubber band around it, then rig it up so there's a wheel on the underside of the car you can spin to rotate the brick. Hook rubber band up to that wheel.

edit - GMTA

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

A handful of 1x1 Travis bricks with holes on the sides skewered by a rod with long tile plates as the license plates and some kind of flipper contraption (or just manual finger rotation.)

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=2926&idColor=11#T=S&C=11&O={%22color%22:11,%22iconly%22:0}

I think this could work with a tile on the front and technic bits on the sides. https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=54294#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0} Two of those on the back with more plates.

It's imperfect. Would work fine for a larger vehicle, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah if you can scale up you get a lot more options. They could also put prints on 2x2 cylinders and rotate them.

I think travis bricks are the most compact option possible though, there's nothing else that small that offers studs on so many sides. And you can put a pole through it. The biggest issue is the actual rotation, you're going to need a hole as big as the widest point and at small scale that could get ugly.

Instead of rotating maybe they could use a slide type gimmick, involve these somehow:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They could just take those old 1x4 axles and put studs on both sides. I think a lot of people would like that as a new piece.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There needs to be plates with studs on both sides anyway.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

There needs to be plates with studs on both sides anyway.

There needs to be tiles with tiles on both sides.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
The app for Lego Powered up is now available. For those not aware it's an app to control the new bluetooth trains that are out some places, but not the US. It looks like other than the speed control it also has some sounds it'll play like a whistle and boarding noises.

Hopefully they add steam powered train noises. Then I never have to leave my basement again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm glad I never bothered to buy that IR one. I was about to until I saw that it was infrared and shied away. I'm glad I did because I was watching a tested video where they made a train and they kept losing control because the guy kept forgetting to point the controller directly at the train.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad I never bothered to buy that IR one. I was about to until I saw that it was infrared and shied away. I'm glad I did because I was watching a tested video where they made a train and they kept losing control because the guy kept forgetting to point the controller directly at the train.

I have a couple, but it's big, bulky, and hard to design around. eliminating the IR receiver makes models easier.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IR's surge as a wireless control scheme seemed really odd to me. RF stuff got increasingly common through the 80's and early 2000's. Then smartphones showed up we got this rush of lovely IR controlled toys.. I guess because it was cheap and easy to make a plug that goes into a headphone jack.

Bad toy company, don't do that. No one has ever liked IR anything.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Scipiotik posted:

The app for Lego Powered up is now available. For those not aware it's an app to control the new bluetooth trains that are out some places, but not the US. It looks like other than the speed control it also has some sounds it'll play like a whistle and boarding noises.

Hopefully they add steam powered train noises. Then I never have to leave my basement again.

There's a review of the green cargo train set on eurobricks, they guy has a video at the end I think of him messing with the new controller and such, it's interesting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

xzzy posted:

IR's surge as a wireless control scheme seemed really odd to me. RF stuff got increasingly common through the 80's and early 2000's. Then smartphones showed up we got this rush of lovely IR controlled toys.. I guess because it was cheap and easy to make a plug that goes into a headphone jack.

Bad toy company, don't do that. No one has ever liked IR anything.

Yet it is still put on tons of audio/visual products. And now we have IR blasters, as well. Hooray!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Yet it is still put on tons of audio/visual products. And now we have IR blasters, as well. Hooray!

We recently bought a dozen 65" touchpanels that work via infrared transmitters/receivers in each corner. They don't come with remotes specifically because they can interfere with the touch sensing.
These are $4500 devices, and they didn't include an RF control system. Bastards.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh poo poo, but I want Bond Connery, hirsute, smug and in a white tuxedo.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Checked out my local TRU one last time. Lego was up to 50% but they had only a handful of sets and had somehow managed to mark them up so high that even at half off they were barely a deal. A $15 batman set was ringing up at $25 lol.

I still can't find my sails, haven't given up hope, but I rebuilt this thing to make me feel better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Jeez, next you're going to bust out the galaxy explorer. We get it, you have all the cool sets.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Lol just those two really. I have a box full of smaller classic space, castle, and pirates because those were my favorite as a kid but those are really the only two "big" sets I had. I had another castle, Kings Castle I think it was but that's after they started using those big panels and weren't as much fun to put together.

I remember wanting the explorer really bad but never got it and I didn't even remember the monorail until I got the anniversary set and was like what the hell is that thing?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

Jeez, next you're going to bust out the galaxy explorer. We get it, you have all the cool sets.

Speaking of the galaxy explorer. I might be selling one in a few days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My galaxy explorer is in a ziplock bag.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sometimes I find crazy deals or missed deals on Ebay. For instance, I was looking at monorails and checking to see how much some had sold for. I found a NIB 6991 that was BIN for $400. I wonder how long that was up for.

Man. I'd have bought that, sold it and bought really good condition in the box 6990 and 6991 and probably had some $$$ left over.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waltzing Along posted:

Sometimes I find crazy deals or missed deals on Ebay. For instance, I was looking at monorails and checking to see how much some had sold for. I found a NIB 6991 that was BIN for $400. I wonder how long that was up for.

Man. I'd have bought that, sold it and bought really good condition in the box 6990 and 6991 and probably had some $$$ left over.

The biggest missed chance I ever saw was every single Power Rangers Zord toy from the 90's including the ridiculous giant ones like the titanosaur and the turtle that sold for 75 dollars plus shipping, and they had all their parts and stickers intact. I was never able to have them as a kid so I had wanted to get them, but missed out, and shortly after some sort of Power Rangers resurgence happened and all the classic sets skyrocketed in price. I hear there's new versions out now but they're also pricey.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a new lego documentary on netflix US...
https://www.netflix.com/title/81002885
I haven't had the chance to watch it yet though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If you know Lego you probably know everything in that documentary. It's a pretty good Cliff's Notes history of the company, though.

I went to see the Nathan Sawaya exhibit this weekend. He's the Lego artist perhaps most famous for the yellow guy opening himself up with bricks falling out. It's a neat mix of things that are cool because they're huge (an Easter Island head, T Rex skeleton), things that are detailed (reproductions of famous paintings) and things using Lego to make a point.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At least he's not an "artist" who does installations. I can just see some crazy chick pouring a bunch of Lego on the floor and having people take off their shoes and walk across them. The exhibit would be "the agony of life."

Can you tell I used to date an "artist." MFA at Cal Arts and all that. Woohoo. Never again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The most successful artists are the ones that hawk the most bullshit.

On the other hand only one in a million ever make it big so it's still pretty lovely odds.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ElwoodCuse posted:

I went to see the Nathan Sawaya exhibit this weekend. He's the Lego artist perhaps most famous for the yellow guy opening himself up with bricks falling out. It's a neat mix of things that are cool because they're huge (an Easter Island head, T Rex skeleton), things that are detailed (reproductions of famous paintings) and things using Lego to make a point.

Weird, I was there too! I had to pick up one of the souvenirs with the custom Science and Tech Museum 2x2 tile and the clear panel brick with one of his works printed on.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Had to print some more of these guys!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

mattfl posted:

Had to print some more of these guys!

Are you making these and if so can I buy one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Rythe posted:

Are you making these and if so can I buy one?

I am, shoot me an email at mattfl @ gmail.com and we can go over the details :)

That goes for anyone else too. There about 25 or so of them I can do.