Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
To be fair, in real life there really ARE generally hostile people who will just randomly decide that they hate your guts and it'll never cross their minds that you didn't do anything to deserve it. It's "realistic" in that sense.

The problem, as observed by a famous author whose name escapes me, the difference between real life and storytelling is that stories have to make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pieuvre posted:

To be fair, in real life there really ARE generally hostile people who will just randomly decide that they hate your guts and it'll never cross their minds that you didn't do anything to deserve it. It's "realistic" in that sense.

The problem, as observed by a famous author whose name escapes me, the difference between real life and storytelling is that stories have to make sense.

Twain.

I mean, it's always a safe bet to guess Twain, since he said everything, even the things he didn't say, but this one actually is his.

(I'm fond of Chesterton's variation. “Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction,” said Basil, placidly. “For fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it.”)

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Yes, at first, but then he reached the game corner, at which point he could grind for infinite money legitimately with Voltorb Flip. He didn't, because this game already eats time, but he could.

Okay, that makes sense.

Eopia posted:

I made the mistake of playing this sometime last year, and I just want to mention that if you tell Fern to gently caress off there you have to wait something like five to ten real life minutes before you're let out of the cage.

Literally laughing out loud.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Zereth posted:

These are clearly props, not real buildings.

Maybe it's like Hitman and our handler set us up in a fake city with actors. Our handler wants to prove we were the right choice.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Omnicrom posted:

I think OFS hacked themselves up some money because gently caress Pokemon Reborn.

That candy shop has the normal sale price of Rare Candies, so they sell for 10k. It's through setting the price in a specific shop that I made them so cheap to obtain.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yes, at first, but then he reached the game corner, at which point he could grind for infinite money legitimately with Voltorb Flip. He didn't, because this game already eats time, but he could.

There's no way to cash out of the game corner in this, since you only get TMs and Pokemon which can't be sold. Instead I can:

1) Rebattle trainers in the Grand Hall. These guys can be fought as many times as you want, and are the devs' compensation for how you'd otherwise be grinding up levels for so many things, and how event Pokemon levels are basically arbitrary.

2) Steal from Grimer. While at first I had just Espurr for stealing, now Mankey, Teddiursa, Zigzagoon, Slakoth, and Skitty have Covet. The TM 46 isn't available until after obtaining the 11th badge, as clearly a 60-power physical dark move that obtains held items is something you have to gate until really loving late in the game.

3) Pay Day from Meowth, who learns it at level 30.

You'll notice a lot of these are repetitive busywork, which kind of makes Reborn's already glacially-paced story even worse.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Eopia posted:

I made the mistake of playing this sometime last year, and I just want to mention that if you tell Fern to gently caress off there you have to wait something like five to ten real life minutes before you're let out of the cage.
Not really seeing a downside.

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

Oh boy, another attempt at this disaster.

I started playing this game way back when the most recent release was Episode 11. Legitimately tried to get through the entire game, new releases and all, because the game upset me enough that I felt like I had to finish it. But then new episodes went from coming out every couple months to taking full years in between, so I lost interest.

At the time, though, the jungle at night was even darker. It was so bad that I couldn't even see the "obvious" pit trap and fell into it legitimately.

In addition, there was a time when rather than force you through a long-winded sidequest for the magikarp, they just flat out changed it to a Ducklett. That you still had to pay 5500 for.

So um...good on them for improving a little bit, I guess?

Asator fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jun 13, 2018

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Back in yet another loving cave in the jungle is the 4th cop! :cop::cop::cop::cop:

See that room to the upper-right? I didn't. I think I'm just blind this time.

I eventually get it. Because I didn't until later, it means events play out a bit differently.

I'm already locked into the event by stepping on this tile but I can hit quicksave while walking into it.

"Oh, hey."

There's a third guy here, too.

"This is the trainer that defeated the PULSE in Jasper.

Did he play me like a fiddle... or did I go with it because gently caress 'em?

"Ah. That was you. An alley cat parading as a tiger. Heroism is vainglory. But you will learn. You've stepped out of your alley, and into the world."

The weird guy should shut the gently caress up.

The girl from earlier is here.

Oh thanks for giving someone else's biography.

"I know all too well who she is. But why is she here?"
"What kind of question is that?! I'm stopping you evil people, duh!"
"How reckless. Weren't you raised to be more responsible?"
"Who cares?! People try to stop me from doing things all the time, but their rules are totally stupid anyway!"
"Just because you do not understand something does not make it 'stupid'. You will learn, someday.
"Would you just shut up!? I'm here to beat you up, not get lectured, so shut up!"

Uh oh!

It's a double battle with two admins! They have 3 Pokemon each!

Ok, so, Taka's about the same as last time, but ZEL is using their own Pokemon - Eevee evolutions.

Exeggcute has Stun Spore, so this mostly negates the damage it can do. My goal is to take out ZEL's Pokemon first, so it's a two-on-one. Emotionalga's Acrobatics rips through them, thankfully.

Also because this Exeggcute is not threatening but ZEL has some real poo poo. That Glaceon knows Icy Wind, and this Espeon has Psybeam and Future Sight.

Umbreon has Sand Attack and Feint Attack, but who cares, we kicked it apart.

Now that ZEL's down, I can buff up Boneless while the other guy does work.

Chatot is the same as before, and it gets kicked apart.

The 3rd PULSE Tangrowth is why I took down ZEL first, because you don't go through PULSE Tangrowths quickly. This one has 31 IVs while the previous two had 7s. This is a mild stat increase.

It's definitely why this thing survived though.

Also Taka has potions now. If I weren't hitting it with giant super-effective moves this would add like fifty extra turns.

Oh, and Meteor admins don't pay out very much either

"The PULSE has been deactivated. There is no longer any purpose in defending this location."
" In that case, I'm just gonna make myself scarce. You coming?"

And ??? just trots off.

"Whatever, I'm going home... You probably heard those freaks say so earlier, but my dad is the Gym Leader."

"He just tries to keep me at home all day and says I shouldn't do anything at all ever. Feel free to drop by the gym and beat him up for me. I'd do it myself, but he doesn't even want me to battle with Pokemon yet. Like, what else are they for?! Ugh."

...Well then, bye, Heather, Meteor Grunt Mary.

So, you know how I didn't find all the cops by now? If I had, there'd be a different version of this scene with STUNNING REVEALS. But since I have a dump of the game's text I can post it anyway:

"There's nowhere to run. You're completely surrounded."
"Tch, an ambush?! Annoying... The grunts were supposed to detain the city officers."
"Oh, they did. It was thanks to Raven's efforts that we were able to restore our force."
"You?"
"Now... Let's find out who you really are."
"...!?"

[It's revealed to be Heather's dad, the gym leader.]

"DAD?!"
"You just had to do this in front of her."
"I knew you were a jerk... But I didn't think you were evil... I-- I can't... Salamence, let's go!"

[Heather leaves on her flying dragon.]

"Well then. This is easier if she isn't here."
"Corey, leader of the Beryl Ward Gym, right? I don't understand. The Gym Leaders are among Reborn's most trusted citizens-- why help Team Meteor?"
"Hah. Never put too much stock in authority. Welcome to reality. It's cold. It's cruel. It's life."
"You mean there are others?"
"You'd be stupid to think otherwise. Not everything is so nice and simple. Your paradise-candyland is just a crack dream."
"Those are some big words for someone who's going to be facing the judge."
"Are they? You've done nothing here. You've unmasked a father before his daughter. You showed her what all girls eventually learn-- pain. And that's all. You want to apprehend me? I'll be waiting at my gym."

[Corey is revealed to be able to vanish.]

"Huh? He just.. vanished. It's obviously a trap, but... we know where he's going. Let's head out!"

And the scene ends there, the disparate realities converge again. There are more changes but those will have to wait until the next update. They concern Corey's gym battle. Yes, we still have a gym battle with him even though he's a terrorist.

Also it's weird, he used his own Crobat for terrorisms up there, I wonder why Heather didn't notice that at all.

And now we're here in Beryl Ward proper. It sucks.

Does finally sell Super Potions.

There is nothing on the roof. There is no indication that the reason there is nothing on the roof is because it's not sunny. There are a large number of Starly. Starly cannot be caught anywhere in Reborn City. They're miles away on a mountain.

I have no ability to give alms.

I do find the last cop being menaced by a Meteor grunt who didn't leave with the rest.

WIth that we have :cop::cop::cop::cop::cop: all cop get!!

Though I missed the stunning reveal, I can still get the real reward:

Not this. Honorary Cop Raven still won't do anything to combat terrorists besides occasionally win Pokemon battles.

The reward is that the dead cop's Growlithe can become our ally. This is be an immense bonus, as Arcanine is legitmiately amazing, and,

It comes with Morning Sun or Close Combat for a free egg move. Morning Sun is harder to get, but Close Combat is more generally useful, I believe.

You can also offer the cops a Growlithe egg to obtain a mystery egg that contains one of 18 things randomly, including being the only source of Gastly in the current version of the game.

It also has things that are actually good. What did my mystery egg contain? I'll tell you in twenty million hours.

Corey's gym is in the side of this mountain. By the Crobat, purple hair, and that he's a recolor of Koga, he's the poison gym leader. Big Bong kinda sucks and will continue to suck until evolution, and Pokearchy is too busy arguing with SJWs on twitter to learn moves, so we don't have anyone good at fighting Poison-types.

Luckily there's grass right here to the left. It has some good goobers in it.

...the gently caress does that message mean.

X/Y were the first games to have world filters built in, so I have been waiting nearly five years to give a... loving tribute to former Kentucky govenor and spoils system advocate Ernie Fletcher.

Elefun the elephant however is just me not having many chances to really make a Phanpy go places.

The presence of Fearow and Arbok makes this pretty good for EXP at this point too.

Donphan still has solid stats, a bad attitude, and the advantages exclusive to Reborn as granted by common candies.

At level 30 is the good STAB move, though its unreliability is garbage. Best I can do though.

At level 6 for a Pokemon that evolves at 25 is Rapid Spin, which is useful when yes of course the gym leader likes Toxic Spikes.

And at 19 is good ol' Knock Off.

Oh yeah, Mountain terrain. It's only here and I believe one other spot, and is only changed to or from one other terrain. Nothing but random encounters use it. It doesn't matter, the end.

There's a graveyard just past the grass. Here we can see all the women that died to provide motivation for men.

No, we don't know these men yet. That comes later.

It's odd how many women are stuffed in reborn's fridges, for how few disposable men there are.

Reborn has enough characters that it has capable women, sure, but if someone's dead in backstory it's a woman, or it's parents.

Oh yeah, speaking of, this is the only man in the graveyard.

...Next to a woman with the same surname.

At night Shuppet can be here, though the Banettite is much later, and the ability to mega evolve things later still.

You need to remember when prankster-backed Destiny Bonds and Curses are options, still.

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 7
Acts of terrorism: 4
Acts of torture: 1
Bad guys escape somehow: 2

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

Its colors are reversed, get it, Reborn does that a lot.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 14, 2018

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am beginning to wonder if the writers of this game have an issue with women.
Or with people in general.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DeafNote posted:

Or with people in general.

...beginning?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DeafNote posted:

Amethyst, the primary writer, is a woman.

That just makes it weirder.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

This... isn't an edit?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

God, this game is just actively hostile to anyone trying to play it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
You could make an interesting argument about how writing is shaped by what media the author consumes, but that might be too much analysis for a game like this.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This... isn't an edit?

It's a quote from Pride and Prejudice, wildly taken out of context.

quote:

No scheme could have been more agreeable to Elizabeth, and her acceptance of the invitation was most ready and grateful. ``My dear, dear aunt,'' she rapturously cried, ``what delight! what felicity! You give me fresh life and vigour. Adieu to disappointment and spleen. What are men to rocks and mountains? Oh! what hours of transport we shall spend! And when we do return, it shall not be like other travellers, without being able to give one accurate idea of any thing. We will know where we have gone -- we will recollect what we have seen. Lakes, mountains, and rivers shall not be jumbled together in our imaginations; nor, when we attempt to describe any particular scene, will we begin quarrelling about its relative situation. Let our first effusions be less insupportable than those of the generality of travellers.''

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Leraika posted:

I've bid adieu to several things while reading this clusterfuck, but I still possess vast quantities of both disappointment and spleen.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It still has nowhere near the spleen of No More Heroes though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Leraika posted:

The real question is what the hell it was even doing in that screencap. It looked like just a generic wild pokemon battle, and those at least have just been the same as normal, so far as I recall. Some kind of bug, grabbing a line from somewhere else in the game?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lord Koth posted:

The real question is what the hell it was even doing in that screencap. It looked like just a generic wild pokemon battle, and those at least have just been the same as normal, so far as I recall. Some kind of bug, grabbing a line from somewhere else in the game?

If I understand correctly, all the Terrains have unique lines.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blaze Dragon posted:

If I understand correctly, all the Terrains have unique lines.

They do, it's just that usually they're more clearly narration that relates to the field, instead of a quote from classic literature.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ah, Donphan. I remember him trying to learn a move with a description along the lines of “smashes head so hard it bleeds” and absolutely refusing to teach my cute little elephant that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Honestly, as far as reversed colors shinies go, Girafarig actually makes the most sense.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

PMush Perfect posted:

Honestly, as far as reversed colors shinies go, Girafarig actually makes the most sense.

and better than it's default being a barely noticeable change to it's palette.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Amethyst, the primary writer, is a woman.

That just makes it weirder.

in fact a majority of the staff on Reborn are female if I'm recalling correctly. It's best to understand that, again, these are RP characters put into a video game. They're going to have the melodrama of a typical teenager Erotic Role Play/Fan Fiction. That is a loving tonne. Ain't nothing more dramatic for your backstory than being raped after all.

Like... regress your mind back to the days of being a teenager listening to Linkin Park and talking about how much My Chemical Romance "Spoke" to you. Once you do that, Reborn makes perfect, horrible sense.

Like look at this line

quote:

"Are they? You've done nothing here. You've unmasked a father before his daughter. You showed her what all girls eventually learn-- pain. And that's all. You want to apprehend me? I'll be waiting at my gym."

How is that not someone's live journal?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Me, until about 10 minutes ago. "Wow this game looks insufferable and glad I'm not playing it/sort of feel bad for OFS doing so"

Me, just now, finding out that this "masterpiece" references one of my "favorite" books. "Wow just go gently caress yourself Reborn."

Alternatively "fine, at least you aren't ruining things I like by dragging them through your 'tribute'".

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

ShootaBoy posted:

God, this game is just actively hostile to anyone trying to play it.
I'm legitimately surprised they allow you to obtain a Growlithe with Close Combat, especially since Arcanine can get ExtremeSpeed.

Close Combat/Extremespeed/Fire move/Bite or Crunch can easily wreck a lot of stuff, and if OFS had picked something other than the Torchic line then Arcanine would fill that role quite nicely.

Wait let me guess, how long until you can get a Fire Stone? It's a long-rear end time isn't it?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Ha! As usual you guys know I like to go on Safari when it comes to Pokemon Fangames, and often the question is asked "If you're going to all this effort, why not just make your own thing?"

BEHOLD!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cremagames/temtem-massively-multiplayer-creature-collection-a?lang=es

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

So, wait, do we know for sure this was from Erotic Role Play?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

PetraCore posted:

So, wait, do we know for sure this was from Erotic Role Play?

No, we know for sure it was from Role Play, but not the erotic variance.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Onmi posted:

No, we know for sure it was from Role Play, but not the erotic variance.
right, because this just seems more Edgy than Erotic.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I do not understand any of this game's attempts at balance.
A thousand rebalances to make the first gym trash, arbitrarily removing access to an assortment of pokemon throughout the game, longwinded sidequests for trash pokemon, pokemon of average use clearly there in the overworld that just you can't get , but then there's a bunch of straight up good pokemon you can just...get? WIth a mild sidequest or a game corner and with great moves.

i mean i know the obvious joke is "there was no balance at all dohohoho" but seriously

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

rannum posted:

I do not understand any of this game's attempts at balance.
A thousand rebalances to make the first gym trash, arbitrarily removing access to an assortment of pokemon throughout the game, longwinded sidequests for trash pokemon, pokemon of average use clearly there in the overworld that just you can't get , but then there's a bunch of straight up good pokemon you can just...get? WIth a mild sidequest or a game corner and with great moves.

i mean i know the obvious joke is "there was no balance at all dohohoho" but seriously

Have you considered that a new level of hell awaits us?

PetraCore posted:

right, because this just seems more Edgy than Erotic.

From my position the two more than commonly overlap than you'd might think.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

quote:

Battles are focused on 2v2...
Yes! Finally, a fan team that understands that Pokemon just works better competitively as a 2v2 forma-

quote:

...or 1v1 battles with other players...
Goddamnit!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Hahahaha oh my god this line is amazing. Like this line actually redeems the game a little for me.

It's just so overwrought :allears:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Yes! Finally, a fan team that understands that Pokemon just works better competitively as a 2v2 forma-

Goddamnit!

I'm pretty sure they mean there'll be an option for 1vs1 combat against other players (with the default being 2vs2 even against players), but I'm asking them in the comments to confirm.

e: I checked in their discord and yeah, the official competitive scene will be 2vs2

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 15, 2018

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm pretty sure they mean there'll be an option for 1vs1 combat against other players (with the default being 2vs2 even against players), but I'm asking them in the comments to confirm.

e: I checked in their discord and yeah, the official competitive scene will be 2vs2

Nevermind, the game is saved!

('Course, there's still plenty of opportunities for this game to do a triple-twist backflip swandive out of a helicopter directly into the gaping maw of Hell without a parachute, but they've already dodged one bullet.)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
hmm, I wonder if nintendo is going to approve this pokemon knockoff game for the switch hmmmm

also good luck getting basically anything done on 70k.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Leraika posted:

hmm, I wonder if nintendo is going to approve this pokemon knockoff game for the switch hmmmm

Nintendo only gets litigious when you're literally just working with their IPs without permission. See the eleventy-bajillion Pokemon-esque games that have gotten on assorted Nintendo handhelds over the years (Medabots, Spectrobes, and Fossil Fighters, just to name a few off the top of my head) for proof of that one.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Nintendo only gets litigious when you're literally just working with their IPs without permission. See the eleventy-bajillion Pokemon-esque games that have gotten on assorted Nintendo handhelds over the years (Medabots, Spectrobes, and Fossil Fighters, just to name a few off the top of my head) for proof of that one.

Fossil Fighters is actually a nintendo franchise :v:

this one feels a bit more on the nose in everything. Like it's not just pokemon-esque its....NOT!Pokemon?

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Suicide and terrorism? What rubbish trubbish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PBJ posted:

Suicide and terrorism? What rubbish trubbish.

*cough*