Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zenithe posted:

What we know is that he was at some point diagnosed with ASD. This means literally nothing without further information.

He raped and murdered someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Like for example if this was a sex interaction and questions of consent emerged thrpugh social cues autism can be a mitigator as those involve inability to differentiate at a biological level through lack of proper social comprehension and bewilderment. That is a difficult area and more so as those forms of sexual assault are far more common than stranger danger but added to tge complexity is one of the participamts having a disorder of social comprehension but without malice.

This is not what we are discussing - this wasnt a sexual encpunter between two people in a personal environment, this was a park woth a woman headed home where she was ambushed, raped, and murdered. This is not a hill to die on.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

JBP posted:

It doesn't mitigate anything he's done. It describes how complicated the situation is and adds another level of complexity to saying you shouldn't have to take any responsibility for your own safety. People aren't simple enough that education will make all of them act perfectly.

Ok so this isnt about autism at all - this is you saying there are bad people so no amount of education will stop the monsters among us sp take personal responsibility from the Ivan Milat's and Peter Dupas'. Which is deep and i am 14.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

Like for example if this was a sex interaction and questions of consent emerged thrpugh social cues autism can be a mitigator as those involve inability to differentiate at a biological level through lack of proper social comprehension and bewilderment. That is a difficult area and more so as those forms of sexual assault are far more common than stranger danger but added to tge complexity is one of the participamts having a disorder of social comprehension but without malice.

This is not what we are discussing - this wasnt a sexual encpunter between two people in a personal environment, this was a park woth a woman headed home where she was ambushed, raped, and murdered. This is not a hill to die on.

Yeah all of this is fine but to me it's less important than people just accepting they might have to take care of themselves walking at night. The world is complicated (like this offender is complicated) and it's not going to be any different tomorrow. You don't know what might be happening with any one of four million people at any time and should protect yourself.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lid posted:

Ok so this isnt about autism at all - this is you saying there are bad people so no amount of education will stop the monsters among us sp take personal responsibility from the Ivan Milat's and Peter Dupas'. Which is deep and i am 14.

Trying to build in protection for yourself and your friends to not be dead is dumb. Ok.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

JBP posted:

The police didn't even say responsible, the age did.

They did, in a presser before the arrest. Later headlines paraphrased "urge community to take responsibility" etc without repeating the direct quote, which I think is misleading, especially since this is now turning into a tone-policing brouhaha as everybody tries to shove a woman's rape and murder into their pre-existing notions about the broader structural patriarchy or whatever the gently caress

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

Yeah all of this is fine but to me it's less important than people just accepting they might have to take care of themselves walking at night. The world is complicated (like this offender is complicated) and it's not going to be any different tomorrow. You don't know what might be happening with any one of four million people at any time and should protect yourself.

A van could crash into you at any time, killing you instantly. You should take steps to protect yourself from this, you never know what might happen. Don't walk anywhere, just drive.

Like, she was already doing what she could to protect herself, what more can you do to stop someone who wants to loving murder you from catching you unawares and loving murdering you. How do you protect yourself from that and still live a reasonably normal life. It's absurd to suggest that general personal responsibility can prevent crimes like this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

A van could crash into you at any time, killing you instantly. You should take steps to protect yourself from this, you never know what might happen. Don't walk anywhere, just drive.

Like, she was already doing what she could to protect herself, what more can you do to stop someone who wants to loving murder you from catching you unawares and loving murdering you. How do you protect yourself from that and still live a reasonably normal life. It's absurd to suggest that general personal responsibility can prevent crimes like this

It's mitigation. It's also about people feeling safer. The women in my theatre community want this to happen and created a map for people to travel together. If this is your perspective then why do anything about anything. Travelling together and using your community is actually within your power to do right now. There's nothing abnormal about taking an extra ten minutes to walk home from a gig with a female performer or from a bar with a friend if you're already out.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I'm very interested in how having difficulty with social communication translates into 'being unable to understand that carrying out a premeditated sexual assault and ultimately murder is wrong' and how he was helpless to stop himself because of the media saying that killing people as revenge for your perceived oppression is bad.

Wait no I'm not there's no point loving arguing with JBP because he will never concede anything at all ever and just pretend to be surprised by people calling him a disingenuous idiot for his disingenuous idiot posts.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ten Becquerels posted:

I'm very interested in how having difficulty with social communication translates into 'being unable to understand that carrying out a premeditated sexual assault and ultimately murder is wrong' and how he was helpless to stop himself because of the media saying that killing people as revenge for your perceived oppression is bad.

Wait no I'm not there's no point loving arguing with JBP because he will never concede anything at all ever and just pretend to be surprised by people calling him a disingenuous idiot for his disingenuous idiot posts.

He probably has internet poisoning.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If tomorrow it turns out this was an incel this conversation can change, but saying "he is somewhere on the spectrum" is meaningless without context - won't help though some people still try to claim Elliot Rodger was autistic when nothing in his apthology suggests it, it's just a scapegoating evolution from "all nerds on the internet are autistic, men on the internet are misogynists, therefore autistics are misogynist".

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

One of the core aspects of committing a murder is the mental state of the offender. I'm fairly sure having autism can impact mental state and it should be accounted for by police prosecuting him.

i don't think you understand how mental health works

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And it wont change from "see autism is relevant" it'll change to "oh look another incel raped and murdered someone because of their violent pathological ideology that gets treated like a joke in the mainstream because lol nerds while overlooking the violence and hatred it has perpetuated as vile as Nazism, the KKK, or any other ideology built on hate and supremacy replacing race with gender".

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Having autism while murdering doesn't add another can of pal to an already unappetising mix.

- AusPol 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The gently caress are you even talking about

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Having autism while murdering doesn't add another can of pal to an already unappetising mix.

- AusPol 2018

nice meltdown

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

nice meltdown

Thank you for giving up.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Thank you for giving up.

does having autism mitigate you from being wrong on the internet (and in life generally?)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

does having autism mitigate you from being wrong on the internet (and in life generally?)

I don't know, are you saying I have autism?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

- AusPol 2018

Nowhere is it said that he has autism.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
you know if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford the trip? if you can't afford a safe way to get home, you can't afford to go out. Live within your means (don't go out late)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

Nowhere is it said that he has autism.

Victoria Legal Aid lawyer John Riordan said it was Mr Todd's first time in custody and stressed his vulnerability in that environment due to his youth and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Maybe you should have a working understanding of these definitions before you talk poo poo?

Those are not the same thing.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
first JBP killed poultry, now he’s killing this thread.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Victoria Legal Aid lawyer John Riordan said it was Mr Todd's first time in custody and stressed his vulnerability in that environment due to his youth and diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder.

yes but that's just about his current situation about being in custody, it doesn't speak to his frame of mind during the rape/murder (which is actually more important in deciding whether mental health was a factor).

realtalk JBP you are really demonstrating you have no loving idea what you are talking about haha

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The other article I read simple said "has autism and needs medication" but I think it was the hun and I don't have a sub.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

yes but that's just about his current situation about being in custody, it doesn't speak to his frame of mind during the rape/murder (which is actually more important in deciding whether mental health was a factor).

realtalk JBP you are really demonstrating you have no loving idea what you are talking about haha

I'm talking about community safety. You all latched onto autism because you love it. It was auxiliary to anything I care about in the situation.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bell jar posted:

:yikes:

I honestly don't understand why there aren't bands of militant radfems going out there and murking random dudes in retaliation for crimes like this

Men should be afraid of parks at night

If only we could have the 1970's again. Half joking. I try not to think too hard about what kind of danger I and my siblings put themselves in for years. But in the 70's such militancy would have been seen as proactive, now politicians would make snarky comments about times of the month. It's no win in the patriarchy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

Can people with autism form memories of things they have done and be asked about that at a later date?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The solution is simole: burn Melbourne to the ground

Seriously though that poo poo is hosed up. Most liveable city in the world and a woman still can walk home through a populated area with out being murdered out of hand.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

Can people with autism form memories of things they have done and be asked about that at a later date?

I don't understand, are you trying to undermine your own argument here?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

I don't understand, are you trying to undermine your own argument here?

Can you ask him how he felt while murdering?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

JBP posted:

It doesn't mitigate anything he's done. It describes how complicated the situation is and adds another level of complexity to saying you shouldn't have to take any responsibility for your own safety. People aren't simple enough that education will make all of them act perfectly.

Got it.

Need to protect ourselves from roving murderous :sperg:s

Edit: woah a whole extra page since I refreshed

norp fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 15, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/channeltennews/status/1007409222907072512

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

mentioning the 'tism in anything resembling a negative context is possibly the single most surefire way of uniting goons against you

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jonah Galtberg posted:

mentioning the 'tism in anything resembling a negative context is possibly the single most surefire way of uniting goons against you

But TISM are poo poo?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am poo poo

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I really wish the government actually started doing something about men terrorising women.

Maybe all men need to either be locked up after dark or only allowed out in pairs at night. Ya know, to keep them from raping and murdering women. And to protect them from false rape accusations.

:rolleyes:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Gridlocked posted:

The solution is simole: burn Australia to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Jonah Galtberg posted:

close, its "he has autism so its a mitigator" when the others are syaing he is a murderer with autism, like a murderer with a bad back, or a murderer with only one arm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS74e-4dQLU