Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Che Delilas posted:

The presence of desk phones among prospective co-workers is a major red flag for me when I'm looking for a new job. (I'm a software engineer so it's generally a bad idea for me to speak with customers. I'll tell them the truth. And that right there says something about the state of corporations and how they do business, if you ask me).

Don't work for any large company in any industry, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^^ My thoughts too.

Do you not ever speak with colleagues who are based at a different site? I never speak with customers, but my team is scattered across the world, so a phone (or headset) gets a lot of use every day.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Trabant posted:

^^ My thoughts too.

Do you not ever speak with colleagues who are based at a different site? I never speak with customers, but my team is scattered across the world, so a phone (or headset) gets a lot of use every day.

Well I work at a small company for one thing, but we have several remote people and have no problems coordinating when necessary. That's handled mainly with asynchronous forms of communication like email and slack, and when phone calls are necessary we have conference phones for large groups and cell phones for one-on-ones.

A desk phone is a sign that one of my primary duties will be answering that phone, and that's simply a waste of time.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For us (a major corporation) it's Skype or conference phones for inter-office calls, and reimbursed cell phone bills for client calls. Desk phones are increasingly not a thing.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
If a cowroker never answered the phone or told me they wouldnt accept calls in some form, including joking, I would lose some respect for them.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Che Delilas posted:

Well I work at a small company for one thing, but we have several remote people and have no problems coordinating when necessary. That's handled mainly with asynchronous forms of communication like email and slack, and when phone calls are necessary we have conference phones for large groups and cell phones for one-on-ones.

A desk phone is a sign that one of my primary duties will be answering that phone, and that's simply a waste of time.

Eh, when I was in-office last I had a desk phone, and I liked it better than the usb headset and soft phone I have now. Honestly I didn't have to answer it very much at all, because the two people I wad working with ther most were in the office with me and we could just talk face to face. Now that I'm remote again, I have to answer the drat softphone several times a day.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I like the option to have desk phones because sometimes cell connections are absolute poo poo even if you have a major carrier that is headquartered in your drat city.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sydin posted:

Sure enough CTO stops by my cube at least once a day to tell me to look into something completely random like machine learning or how we could use AI to enhance our SCADA network (I don't even touch that!) and the handful of friends and allies I've made in the office since I arrived here have confirmed that the department head is the real brains of the operation. It's definitely an interesting dynamic.

Suck up to the department head; do anything necessary to follow her on her quest for world domination.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Democratic Pirate posted:

I like the option to have desk phones because sometimes cell connections are absolute poo poo even if you have a major carrier that is headquartered in your drat city.

Pretty much the same thing here (minus the HQ thing). There is terrible cell reception on my end of campus unless you're in the vicinity of the AT&T repeater (and god help you if you're not on AT&T - you're looking at "No Service" all day then), so those desk phones are lovely to have. I just don't bother leaving people messages on them. That's what texts and e-mails are for. :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm a customer-facing contractor with a desk phone. No, you don't need my (personal) cell.

One of my favorite things I've done in my career was to start offering new hires a phone on their desk or a corporate DID number forwarded to their cell. Saved sooooo much work on the aging, white-box PX a consultancy built for us. Most people were pretty happy to have a number on their business cards that wouldn't follow them later.

Sundae posted:

Pretty much the same thing here (minus the HQ thing). There is terrible cell reception on my end of campus unless you're in the vicinity of the AT&T repeater (and god help you if you're not on AT&T - you're looking at "No Service" all day then), so those desk phones are lovely to have. I just don't bother leaving people messages on them. That's what texts and e-mails are for. :v:

And the phone system here loves to read numbers out. Voicemail from AAA-BBB-CCCC... Recipient... XXX... YYY... ... ZZZZ. Yeah, I loving knew that, that's MY EXTENSION, the one I'm checking messages for. What kind of use cases did these poor bastards get assigned to handle ?

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 15, 2018

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm going on two years of my calls showing up as "Breakaway Table" when I call people. I'm ALWAYS a surprise. :haw:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Bobby Tables Sundae?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

crazypeltast52 posted:

Bobby Tables Sundae?

Oh yes, little Bobby Tables, I'm called.

I think someone just grabbed a phone from a random meeting room and threw it on my desk without reprogramming it before I started here. I just don't care enough to fix it and it does have its advantages.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Don’t lie Sundae, you have three normal desk phones that you juggle to seem busy, and an extra red one under a glass in the corner for when you want to be Urgently Busy.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CarForumPoster posted:

If a cowroker never answered the phone or told me they wouldnt accept calls in some form, including joking, I would lose some respect for them.

That's more than a bit of a leap from what I said but sure okay.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

CarForumPoster posted:

Don't work for any large company in any industry, I guess.

Don't work for small companies either

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I like having a desk phone because I like to actually hear other people on calls.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They're resurfacing one of the fountains in the lobby :smith:

But I work on the 28th floor and only have to hear the jackhammers and marble-cutting saws for the brief time I'm walking to the elevators.:frogbon:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Hoshi posted:

Ftfy

This afternoon I'm going to have a nice career talk with my boss. This could be what breaks my faith in my management so far, but he also just acknowledged the amount and importance of the work I've been doing wrt our core processes so I'm hopeful.

Wish me luck

We had to push this back but it's definitely today. Maybe I'll find out I'm really lovely at my job. Maybe I won't. Who knows

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

When I went home Thursday I had one meeting scheduled for Friday. Somehow, I've been in six today and it's not over. :(

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
After a year of promise and another year of planning I am two weeks away from them announcing the changes in our department. I’ll be going from essentially a SharePoint service owner with a few devs to work on technology strategy and roadmaps with no direct reports. No more on call! :woop: Oh yeah, after we make the announcement we still have to advertise, recruit, fill, and train my replacement. I’m guessing another 6 months. :bang: Boy large corporations move slow.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

tomapot posted:

After a year of promise and another year of planning I am two weeks away from them announcing the changes in our department. I’ll be going from essentially a SharePoint service owner with a few devs to work on technology strategy and roadmaps with no direct reports. No more on call! :woop: Oh yeah, after we make the announcement we still have to advertise, recruit, fill, and train my replacement. I’m guessing another 6 months. :bang: Boy large corporations move slow.

Sorry in advance for the “business needs” email delaying your transfer that will come through 1-2 weeks before the planned move date.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Renegret posted:

Had a nice discussion with my supervisor about the future of this company and my role in the department.

He flat out called our manager a loving idiot so I don't think the future's looking so hot. The second my plane lands from my honeymoon, I'm sending out more job apps.

*REDACTED* obviously has a history of job cuts, and I think they're gonna get hit hard by all the crazy consolidation going on with how small they are. Honestly, the whole industry is probably in big trouble.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

tomapot posted:

I was going to have sympathy but then I clicked the spoiler.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

FrozenVent posted:

I was going to have sympathy but then I clicked the spoiler.

I know it has a reputation and on SA it gets bashed a lot but at least my company recognizes it is a critical business application and spends a lot of money on supporting it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

tomapot posted:

I know it has a reputation and on SA it gets bashed a lot but at least my company recognizes it is a critical business application and spends a lot of money on supporting it.

A company spending a lot of money on Sharepoint is not a good thing, it's a red flag

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Sharepoint is garbage and yet we still pay contractors to build applications on it that rarely work correctly and then heap praise on the people who had the idea.

I hate Sharepoint/Agilepoint

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

One of my client companies sent me a nepalese singing bowl as a 'gift of synergy'. On the one hand, its a little eye-rolling corporate fluff, but on the other hand it's kind of a nice bowl and also literally the only gift a client has sent me, so I'm a little pleased.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ashcans posted:

One of my client companies sent me a nepalese singing bowl as a 'gift of synergy'. On the one hand, its a little eye-rolling corporate fluff, but on the other hand it's kind of a nice bowl and also literally the only gift a client has sent me, so I'm a little pleased.

See how many times you can make it sing before your colleagues get pissed off at you.

Bonus points if you do it out of sight, so they never find out what is making the sound.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ashcans posted:

Break it open to check for passive listening devices

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ashcans posted:

These things are cool and good and I would appreciate it as a gift.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2020

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

The Sean posted:

I'm not living Sundai levels of awesome (at work, at least) but for the past few work days I've been playing a lot of Switch at work.

Nice. I can get away with a fair amount but I have too many interruptions to be able to do anything more involved than browsing the web. Even working on homework is hard because I struggle to pick up where I left off.

One of our new hires got canned today because "he wasn't a good fit". They created a new position for him and originally hoped that I would grow into it. No thanks!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I have large swathes of time to fill at work that are only sometimes and/or intermittently filled with actual work, so I end up reading a lot of books on pdf and planning for my D&D game. As a result I have extremely detailed games because why not spend 5 hours coming up with a web of political and corporate espionage?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
My day is 2 hours setting up a professional webcast and taking attendance then 2 hours of a lunch with actuaries from a few different functions

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My day is 8 hours of having nothing to do and asking my supervisors for more and greater responsibilities.

Mixed in those 8 hours, is being told that there's too plenty of work that needs to get done and surely you can find something? Look! An e-mail just came in that requires 30 seconds of your attention. See!

Renegret fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 19, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I've toyed with the idea of setting up a RDC to my home PC so I could play factorio during the more boring days, but that's my job if I'm caught, period. I'll just stick to shitposting on SA.

At my last job we actually fired an intern because one of the first things he did after being issued his laptop was install steam and start downloading like 500 GB's worth of games onto his machine with the company internet.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My day is 8 hours of writing up Change Requests for other teams on the platform because everyone is on fire and no one wants to be responsible for their own messes, and then an hour of our MD telling the head of the program that our group isn't ready for prime time because we're the ones with a laundry list of open CRs. The only reason we have a laundry list of CRs is because they're for everyone else and we're the only group that got all our poo poo together months ago. Our MD has no idea what's going on but loves using us as the fall guy because the IB is trying to poach us so rather than just let us go, to win his pissing match he tries to make us look as bad as possible at every opportunity.

Edit: Still love my job and once this is all ironed out we'll be in a much better place (not reporting under him for starters).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If it makes anyone feel better, not everything is rainbows every day here. I'm currently drafting up a 500+ page installation testing protocol with no project team to support the testing, and where the approval matrix assumes I have five distinct team-members performing different roles in the process. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Around this time tomorrow I’ll be turning in my badge and gunlaptop and heading out into the great beyond. It’s a struggle to muster up the energy to close out the few remaining tasks that are on my plate.