Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I got my rear end carried all the way to enrage in O7S in a single lockout tonight

Having people who know fights inside and out babying you with callouts helps a lot. Virus phase is also surprisingly easy for how much of a shitfest it sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

GuyUpNorth posted:

Somehow that lighthouse post surprised me. I ran circus with another NIN in my party, I was only one either using Trick or landing it. And I am bad at NIN.

I am insanely bad at nin, but that lighthouse was making it so that I had to hit True North to actually land a TA, because they kept spinning the bosses. The only time it was reliably positioned is when it was aggro'd on me, and that meant I was about to eat a tankbuster.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

cheetah7071 posted:

I got my rear end carried all the way to enrage in O7S in a single lockout tonight

Having people who know fights inside and out babying you with callouts helps a lot. Virus phase is also surprisingly easy for how much of a shitfest it sounds

Virus is pretty easy. It's the circus that comes afterwards that's the hard part. Specifically lightning bombs + chakra spots.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Usually when that happens I don’t care, but if they’re asses about it and telling me to pull faster, I usually shirk them. I love shirk.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Virus is pretty easy. It's the circus that comes afterwards that's the hard part. Specifically lightning bombs + chakra spots.

I found that fairly easy too tbh. The part that gets me is knockback/spread/out. I know the tell but it involves looking in a spot I'm not used to looking.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The worst part of O7S is when you're late in the fight doing missiles + Ultros boogie and you all die to the extremely slow missiles because one jerk decided to zone out in a safe square but forgot which one was the safe one.

Virus at least usually has funny failure states. "Wait, why do I have Virus?" everyone explodes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The PUG strat for virus is do the initial melee pass, then just sorta pass it when your timer is low. It generally works out. You might have to try a few people before you find someone who isn't immune but you have plenty of time

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The bombs + chakra spots + missiles is really fun when people are stuborn about their spots.
I had a group where I was NE chakra spot but one of the ranged refused to move from NE bomb spot, having to move from NW corner to NE chakra while avoiding the missiles which are of course hidden inside the boss is lots of fun

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Actually the best Virus failure state is when the co-melee hands me Virus after the tether kb, then immediately Shoulder Tackles / Shukuchis to the boss. Leaving me with abandonment and I slowly walk towards the death field while three other people sprint at me in a panic.

Honorable mention to somebody being dead before tethers and rezzing just slightly too late, leaving you with some weird cat's cradle of tether lines and everybody just sort of stands there awkwardly for the next 3 seconds.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
God drat the Flame LT coat makes your shoulders disproportionately huge. I love it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
99.98% of tanks dont pull fast enough; if you're in that 0.02% who do i apologize in advance but: please pull faster

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Reiterpallasch posted:

99.98% of tanks dont pull fast enough; if you're in that 0.02% who do i apologize in advance but: please pull faster

Come on now, for some of us the best part of the game is the 2 minutes of huddling in front of the boss, followed by two ready checks, followed by "Battle commencing in 20 seconds!" I don't know how you can get properly psyched up without it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If a dragoon uses BotD outside of combat that means it's about to run out so pull now please

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
If I'm about to get another Foul I'm gonna cast Foul right now. I accept any consequences of this action.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schneider Heim posted:

One of my squadron members is named Careless Whisper. Someone did that on purpose, didn't they?

After you're done checking fates and achievement names, be sure to check every leve and NPC chocobo name.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

cheetah7071 posted:

If a dragoon uses BotD outside of combat that means it's about to run out so pull now please

This.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

rujasu posted:

I don't know how you can get properly psyched up without it.

By having greased lightning/dragon eyes/huton/aethertrail attunement up on the pull.

If GL3 or blood of the dragon is about to expire and the tank is just sitting there for no reason, I just pull.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

rujasu posted:

Come on now, for some of us the best part of the game is the 2 minutes of huddling in front of the boss, followed by two ready checks, followed by "Battle commencing in 20 seconds!" I don't know how you can get properly psyched up without it.

I specifically leveled up a tank because I was tired of this poo poo.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

rujasu posted:

Don't forget that stagger step to make sure everyone is with you and running towards the boss.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

When I tank, the only things I take into consideration is the healer's mana pool and they're in the area to heal me eventually. If both conditions are met, I'll pull. The dps can join in if they want, there really isn't a boss or group of mobs in EXDR that cannot be completed without just a tank and healer.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well now that I'm done with that I can chill until the Eureka expansion.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

:getin:

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 15, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Yeah, this was going to be my plan, too.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the only acceptable outifit imo

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Arist posted:

Lol, a healer got mad at a NIN on my behalf for pulling ahead of me when I was tanking Bardam's today, that's never happened before. At this point I generally just shrug and go "whatever" when someone pulls early.

If it's even possible for the DPS to get far enough ahead of you to pull something, you're going way too slow. Start running toward the next pack when the last couple mobs from the previous pack are at like 15% so you can pull with zero downtime and you'll never have this problem again.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
does "chain pulling" refer to pulling multiple packs at once into a huge murderball, or killing off one trash pack on your way to the next one so there's no downtime? i've heard both

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Thumbtacks posted:

does "chain pulling" refer to pulling multiple packs at once into a huge murderball, or killing off one trash pack on your way to the next one so there's no downtime? i've heard both

The former.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The latter is pointless because you lose the travel time you save by having melee and casters being unable to do their full (or any) DPS on the run.

Gather groups of mobs together in one spot, then AoE them. Or if the tank (or healer) can't handle all the mobs between doors/bosses, break them up into manageable groups (eg. 2-3 out of five packs if they're not very hard-hitting, stick to one if it has special abilities that wreck your tank). If you want to reduce downtime, pull the next group when the last 1-2 survivors are nearly dead, instead of dragging a conga line of mobs through the entire dungeon.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sade posted:

Start running toward the next pack when the last couple mobs from the previous pack are at like 15%

Tanks: stop doing this poo poo

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Pull the packs and then please stop moving until everything is dead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Tanks: stop doing this poo poo

The mobs will die of DoTs on the way or in the first attack on the next pack, it's no big deal :shrug:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Karasu Tengu posted:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Karasu Tengu posted:

:objection:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Karasu Tengu posted:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
i, for one, love missing half of my aoes because the tank cannot loving chill for 5 seconds

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Sarrisan posted:

i, for one, love missing half of my aoes because the tank cannot loving chill for 5 seconds

My biggest trouble as a perma-noob tank in ffxiv is getting the mobs to pack together like in wow.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

orcane posted:

The mobs will die of DoTs on the way or in the first attack on the next pack, it's no big deal :shrug:
It's actually really bad for most jobs because you won't get in the few ticks of full TP regeneration.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

orcane posted:

That's not the issue. The issue is that the healers and dps won't have time to naturally regen their mp/tp between pulls. If you have to pull small packs, kill them first and move on. Do NOT do this poo poo.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fair enough. I assumed tanks generally consider the TP/MP situation of the party but I guess that's worth spelling out.

Pigbottom posted:

My biggest trouble as a perma-noob tank in ffxiv is getting the mobs to pack together like in wow.

Some larger mobs are pretty bad at bunching up, like they try to move around their pals' hitbox and always end up too far apart. Also large rooms without LoS and you have one or two mobs with ranged attacks, those are fun too. Paladin shield throw in WoW was great for situations like that.

orcane fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

That's not the issue. The issue is that the healers and dps won't have time to naturally regen their mp/tp between pulls. If you have to pull small packs, kill them first and move on. Do NOT do this poo poo.

Also exciting is when half my spell casts fail (be it healing the tank or attacking enemies) because the tank pulls ahead out of range before the cast finishes.