Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I know it'd probably piss most people off, but im unironically in support of saying gently caress migrating the posts and just kicking everyone's usernames over and letting that be that, but I guess this is more about features on this thing instead of a new forum.

the arrow is good, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Whoever said to bring the digg button back....

it's back

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

r u ready to WALK posted:

I'm still waiting for Lowtax to integrate clippy.js into the forum experience

what's taking so long?

Charge 5 dollars to remove it and rake in the cash!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
If there were a new forum platform called "the new SomethingAwful location" hosted somewhere with a ton of completely empty subforums laid out in the same way, they'd fill up pretty fast with new threads and people from here would pretty much know what to do. Having the existing threads there wouldn't add much value, even less so over time (they might as well slip into archives once the new place is filled up with new threads).

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah you'd still be paying to host the old software at the old links concurrently with the new but you're paying to host the old stuff right now anyway. Traffic would split between them as people either want to see an old thread or a new one, they wouldn't do both simultaneously. I don't know what this "exponential increase" nonsense is with the traffic costs of running both platforms concurrently for a little while.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lowtax posted:

That's really not at all how things work.

aw man

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Honestly don't even migrate usernames over, if you tell us it's the new location and sound certain about it I'd immediately pay $10bux+ again to register with an even cooler username than this one out of a giant pool where none are taken. The SA experience is worth more than ten dollars and it could be a great fundraiser and quality filter to just charge everyone again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey lowtax I am using the awful app which basically does this stuff. Is my using this app running you if any money, or does it actually save you bandwidth? I am ad free subscriber anyway.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Honestly don't even migrate usernames over, if you tell us it's the new location and sound certain about it I'd immediately pay $10bux+ again to register with an even cooler username than this one out of a giant pool where none are taken. The SA experience is worth more than ten dollars and it could be a great fundraiser and quality filter to just charge everyone again.

dibs on "Lowtax"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
realBurtSexual

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also feature idea:

You wisely don't let users karma hunt by having individual posts rateable.

But what if you actually could rate posts but no one could actually see the karma of it? Even the poster. They'd just see how many upvotes they got in the last month. Bragging about your number would be a sixer. And there wouldn't be a downvote button.

People would just be able to see if people like their posts in general.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

all he would have to do is point the new software server to forums.somethingawful.com and shut down the old one and it'd be donezo

at least from that aspect, as far as i know

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Also feature idea:

But what if you actually could rate posts but no one could actually see the karma of it? Even the poster. They'd just see how many upvotes they got in the last month. Bragging about your number would be a sixer. And there wouldn't be a downvote button.

Everyone's worst and best three posts can be linked next to their avatar like a scarlet letter or a wall of shame

Kind of rewards dogpiling in arguments but it instantly gives you a feel for if you're dealing with an idiot / troll or not

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Hey lowtax I am using the awful app which basically does this stuff. Is my using this app running you if any money, or does it actually save you bandwidth? I am ad free subscriber anyway.

If you feel guilty about being a burden on society there's always https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If there were a new forum platform called "the new SomethingAwful location" hosted somewhere with a ton of completely empty subforums laid out in the same way, they'd fill up pretty fast with new threads and people from here would pretty much know what to do. Having the existing threads there wouldn't add much value, even less so over time (they might as well slip into archives once the new place is filled up with new threads).
Okay, say we do that. How do we migrate the purchase management system over, as well as create and migrate the different classes, such as platinum and no-ads? Also how do we style everything so it looks relatively the same? Like I said, this isn't an easy task, and no matter how you do it, very time consuming.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

What the app does is basically what jQuery does: it breaks down the original HTML / CSS and rewrites it into a different format (except unlike jQuery, you don't get annoyed by seeing the original format briefly before it rewrites the code). It's essentially just scrapes and rewrites. With the exception of ads (which they do not show on the app), it doesn't cost me any money / I don't lose any money from people using it, because it's still loading the same exact pages, the only difference is the app is rewriting them.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Lowtax posted:

Okay, say we do that. How do we migrate the purchase management system over, as well as create and migrate the different classes, such as platinum and no-ads? Also how do we style everything so it looks relatively the same? Like I said, this isn't an easy task, and no matter how you do it, very time consuming.

Right, the style stuff and configuration and customization is going to take some time no matter what, I'm just saying some stuff can be left out and eventually won't be missed -- eliminating the need for a migration at all. A brand new purchase management system on the new site unconnected to the old one sounds hard but also sounds like a pretty standard challenge for setting up a site, and an easier alternative to trying to connect it to the old system.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 15, 2018

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Also feature idea:

I think I know exactly how much people like my posts...

:itwaspoo:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Honestly I don't care if I lose platinum and have to pay for it again, or even if the "platinum status" concept is erased entirely. I got my money's worth out of platinum already. I'll keep paying for access no matter what because the experience of SA is worth more than tens of dollars. If the new forum software is laid out in a way where privileged classes don't make sense (maybe it already presents features like private messages for users without extra burden or cost) then just don't have platinum and no-ads users anymore, I won't miss it.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Honestly I don't care if I lose platinum and have to pay for it again, or even if the "platinum status" concept is erased entirely. I got my money's worth out of platinum already. I'll keep paying for access no matter what because the experience of SA is worth more than tens of dollars. If the new forum software is laid out in a way where privileged classes don't make sense (maybe it already presents features like private messages for users without extra burden or cost) then just don't have platinum users anymore, I won't miss it.
I still wouldn't do that, it'd totally be ripping off everybody and I'd feel like a piece of poo poo. Plus there would still be the issue of integrating the purchase management system with user class and permissions.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I think we could pick and choose what to carry over rather than try to make things identical from the get-go - which seems like such a barrier it'll just never happen anyway. Style can be tweaked on the fly, that can be an after-the-fact thing. It would be wise to have account usernames/passwords and whatever upgrades carry over but what would it hurt if e.g. post counts, reg dates, rap sheets, and so on were all wiped out? Clean the slate imo,, if that's the only way it's going to actually happen.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also an aside, I would NOT have the patience you have for people making GBS threads on the new features. I know the feeling of spending hours on something and perfecting it purely for other people's benefit (making their life easier) and then immediately having dozens of the responses rudely dismissing it. I don't know how you do this. Thanks for sticking through it and being here for the folks actually trying to be constructive.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 15, 2018

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I should add that I know little about web development, and I do realize half the forums freak out when the font size changes by 0.2 pixels, so I am more stating my worthless opinion rather than saying "but it's so easy just do it this way"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lowtax posted:

https://xenforo.com/help/user-upgrades/

As far as I understand it, you can make avatar changes a "user upgrade" as well as private messages, which is basically what plat is right?

I may be oversimplifying it and you may be overcomplicating it, but I think it's somewhere in the middle and should be completely doable :shrug:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

yeah i think the all at once approach leads to the current situation of nothing happening. i think it's important to have *something* and then build on that

software rewiring 101: don't shoot for 100% feature match from the get-go, that's never going to happen. once you are on the good new system though with good devs you should be able to get something even better than the original in a relatively short period of time

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

https://xenforo.com/help/user-upgrades/

As far as I understand it, you can make avatar changes a "user upgrade" as well as private messages, which is basically what plat is right?

I may be oversimplifying it and you may be overcomplicating it, but I think it's somewhere in the middle and should be completely doable :shrug:

Paypal?

I like that it had expiring upgrades though.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Also an aside, I would NOT have the patience you have for people making GBS threads on the new features. I know the feeling of spending hours on something and perfecting it purely for other people's benefit (making their life easier) and then immediately having the first several replies poo poo all over it out of spite. I don't know how you do this. Thanks for sticking through it and being here for the folks actually trying to be constructive.
Eh it doesn't bother me much anymore, I mean compared to how people would freak the gently caress out in the mid-2000s about literally *any* change I made, people now are much more reserved and rational. And it's not like I spent weeks coding anything, they're just simple Cloudflare apps that I tweak the CSS.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe you feel like you'd be ripping people off if all the paid stuff was wiped out and started fresh, but are you sure everyone else would feel that way? If it's a brand new website that offers different features I don't think people would have the impression that they are already owed anything on it. Maybe other people can chime in to say whether it would actually bother them. I honestly think people are eager enough to join a new forum assuming it comes with far more modern features and performance that they'd happily leave behind their paid special features on the old software.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
This is a forum where at times the tradition was "ban people whenever it is funny enough to do so" and that still continues with joke probations in the trump thread and it is still hilarious. We all thought that was great, so maybe the types of people who would not throw a fit over ten bucks and rejoin anyway are exactly the types of folks who you want around?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Maybe you feel like you'd be ripping people off if all the paid stuff was wiped out and started fresh, but are you sure everyone else would feel that way? If it's a brand new website that offers different features I don't think people would have the impression that they are already owed anything on it. Maybe other people can chime in to say whether it would actually bother them. I honestly think people are eager enough to join a new forum assuming it comes with far more modern features and performance that they'd happily leave behind their paid special features on the old software.

Chiming in with the first :agreed:

Dumb Lowtax posted:

This is a forum where at times the tradition was "ban people whenever it is funny enough to do so" and that still continues with joke probations in the trump thread and it is still hilarious. We all thought that was great, so maybe the types of people who would not throw a fit over ten bucks and rejoin anyway are exactly the types of folks who you want around?

that too

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 15, 2018

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

As much as we'd hop on in to the new stuff, there are definitely going to be some people who won't, so the userbase will go down at least temporarily. That might not be ideal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think the auto refresh is unnecessary - it's a solution in search of a problem. I've never regretted that the forums display was out of date but I could see regretting that it refreshed on me, if a thread I liked disappeared to the second page or goldmine.

There are some suggestions for reducing bandwidth in QCS, apparently the animals at the top of the page have a bunch of exif data being loaded on every page view. Removing that could save you some cash and should be super easy.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Auto refresh:
It's good and useful, but there's also a use to not have it auto refresh. Say if you want to have the list of threads to remain static to see them later without them jumping around. Add a little auto refresh switch somewhere and have it save that preference.

Front page:
Make the forums the front page, and combine some features of the front page onto the front page of the forums. This will bring more traffic and new users for more :10bux:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

goatse

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010

Lowtax posted:

I still wouldn't do that, it'd totally be ripping off everybody and I'd feel like a piece of poo poo. Plus there would still be the issue of integrating the purchase management system with user class and permissions.

First off
-Thank you Lowtax for running these forums, and the years of Photoshop Fridays, Klurf animations, and comedy highjinks. Some of the threads give me a smile daily (looking at you "Post your Favorite line from My 600 Lb Life") I have loved it all and appreciate your grand endeavor. Truthfully

To the business at hand:
-I wish we could migrate the content. Some of the stuff is priceless. A couple of weeks ago I watched a bunch of Second Life griefing. Still made me LoL

-But truthfully going back is rare. I really come here for the new. Forum threads and Comedy features

- I have more than gotten my value out of the 10 bucks. I would gladly re-register, and repay if you have to start completely over on a new platform to get the costs way down. Look and feel are nice, but what matters is that a couple of the main functions are there. A working forum, A front page with contributed content, the basics

-Archive the old stuff to cloud storage and if someone ever gets a bug up their butt and can port it over great. But if not it is what it is. Don't be sad

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think the auto refresh is unnecessary - it's a solution in search of a problem.
I'm not sure about that... I specifically remember a lot of people asking for that feature a few years ago when I made a thread asking what new features people would want to see implemented on the forums. I mean, I can disable it if it's universally loathed, but I recall a lot of people saying that was something they wanted.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lowtax posted:

I'm not sure about that... I specifically remember a lot of people asking for that feature a few years ago when I made a thread asking what new features people would want to see implemented on the forums. I mean, I can disable it if it's universally loathed, but I recall a lot of people saying that was something they wanted.

Not that it matters but I don't need/want it, it takes more bandwidth too. Maybe make a poll on the new features idk.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Yeah I dont care either way about the function itself, I'm just concerned about the bandwidth hit

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lowtax posted:

It's probably one of those like it or hate it things, where some people really want it and some people have zero use for it.

The ideal would probably just be to let users enable or disable it according to their preference, but you've already said that doing that at the user level would be difficult because it would require adding a field to this godforsaken database.

That said, it doesn't necessarily have to be at the user level. The YOSPOS stylesheet setting doesn't seem to be stored in the database, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
If it was a few years ago then maybe it's not as popular a feature now. I'm one that doesn't find it necessary.

And it does seem like it'd take up bandwidth which seems to be an issue.

• Locked thread