Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

There was a good story not too long ago about a couple going on holiday and found out at the airport the wife had forgotten her passport. They agreed wife would go get it and take the next flight out, but she actually just went home and sulked that he had "abandoned her".

I've been though this many times, but I always wake up a few seconds after I realize I forgot my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Minor crushes alongside major ones? Does she just think she has a crush on every guy she wants to gently caress, and has to tell her boyfriend about it?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wonder how much YA fiction she reads

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Anne Whateley posted:

If I'd made it up, I would've made her spineful enough to say "I'm not even eating, you have your tendys but I'm getting on the plane," but she did not.

In fact she made a facebook post about it, pretending to be super cheery and find it adorable, like "this is what happens when you adventure with such a free spirit who's so good at being in the moment!!!"

:stare: yikes...

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Do you guys remember the story about the girl with the brother who hid her full-ride scholarship?

The reboot is even better:

https://jezebel.com/girl-tricks-boyfriend-into-believing-he-didnt-get-full-1826862851

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Do you guys remember the story about the girl with the brother who hid her full-ride scholarship?

The reboot is even better:

https://jezebel.com/girl-tricks-boyfriend-into-believing-he-didnt-get-full-1826862851

hmmm

quote:

This issue could clearly only be worked out in court. Abramovitz sued Lee for $300,000 and won. The judge tacked on an extra $50,000 for “her despicable interference in Mr. Abramovitz’s career.”... In yet another twist, there’s no way to know if Abramovitz will ever see any of that money, because “he does not know where [Lee] is and she has blocked him on social media.”

Yeah too bad if you block someone on facebook the court has no way of making them pay a court judgement - guess this guy should have thought that through before spending money on a fancy lawyer :shrug:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Caganer, thank you for supporting Lowtax in these troubled times, and also thank you for linking to a series of posts where I have to repeatedly tell you marital rape is in fact illegal

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anne Whateley posted:

Caganer, thank you for supporting Lowtax in these troubled times, and also thank you for linking to a series of posts where I have to repeatedly tell you marital rape is in fact illegal

Where

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That's the link in my fancy new custom title. Caganer is a rereg of maskenfreiheit

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I (30m) think my supervisor (30ish) is a man hater.

quote:

Ok, this is going to be a bit long and roundabout, so bear with me and I will do my best to keep it succinct.

First things first, I work for the Fire Dept as a paramedic in my city. I am exclusively on an Ambulance, and not a firefighter. I've been working my shift with my supervisor since this last June. I was on a 24 hour shift and was having lots of issues there not only with my Captain, but another person as well. So, really long story short, my job was threatened over a non work related rumor, so as soon as possible, I bid out to the shift I have now. Not to mention just being generally miserable, and it was affecting my out of work life, and my relationship with my girlfriend.

Now, I have known my supervisor since I started working for the Dept. (3+ years.) I have known that she could be abrasive at times, as well as hearing some pretty crazy (And some reliably confirmed.) rumors about her. But we always have had a cordial relationship, and she welcomed me with open arms when I came under her supervision.

My partner and I get along really well, I help her with her daughter at times, and her and my girlfriend are very friendly. I want to protect anonymity as best as possible, so I will refer to her as Danielle. At one point, Danielle's old work partner, who we will call Rocky, expressed interest in doing a permanent shift trade with me (Easier for him for School). He works on a 24 hour shift, which I do not want to go back to. Not for anything. I did offer the option to Danielle if she would prefer working with him, but expressly told me, 'Only if you want to, I would be happy working with either of you.'

Now back to my supervisor. As I mentioned earlier, she can be abrasive. At times she will yell at me about inconsequential things, and has no problems doing so in front of other employees. However, I see Females on her shift not being given this treatment, and with similar if not exactly the same infractions. She will even 'SSSSSHHHHH' me like a disobedient child when I try to explain myself. After speaking with other men under her supervision, and Danielle, I'm not the only one noticing this, nor the only one feeling emasculated and disrespected.

Now, to round out the story here. Danielle worked an overtime shift with Rocky, and happened to get into a conversation with him about basically the content of the previous paragraph. Rocky, upon 'running into my supervisor' basically told my supervisor all of this. Which I find highly suspicious. I feel like he did this in an attempt to make things more uncomfortable between me and my supervisor, in an attempt to maybe force me into permanently swapping shifts with him. Now, my supervisor, instead of calling myself, or Danielle, decides to call Danielle's best friend. (Who also works with us, and also under her supervision) Which is highly concerning considering said best friend is probably one of the most dramatic, crazy, toxic, loudmouthed people I have ever met. Best friend calls Danielle about this, who of course in turn tells me, que me WTFing all over the place.

Last paragraph, I promise. So, said day this all came to light, I was already leaving early, as I was owed time from a previous shift trade. Danielle ends up having a long talk with our supervisor about this, and calls me later to inform me that supervisor would like to sit down and talk with me as well. It's been 3 weeks and the most interaction I have had with her has been nothing more than texting to let her know I would be slightly late, or other random 1 sentence exchanges about work. So I finally come to my question. Should I approach my boss and initiate this 'talk'? Or just keep going about work and keep my thoughts completely to myself and follow the rules to the letter as I have?

tl;dr Boss tends to treat myself and other men like children, and enforce rules on us that I do not see her enforce on females under her supervision. In a roundabout way my feelings of frustration got back to her, and she involved people that had no business being involved. She wants to talk with me about it but hasn't said anything to me in 3 weeks since this came to light.

Also, sorry for the length, and thank you in advance for any advice you have for me. I did leave a fair bit out, so let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

hurr durr i poo poo talked my supervisor why am i in trouble

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

That's the link in my fancy new custom title. Caganer is a rereg of maskenfreiheit

…….. good god. what the hell, caganer?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Anne Whateley posted:

Owning myself to own the libs

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

La Brea Carpet posted:

My[25M] SO [38F] can't keep a job and is driving me crazy.

Someone give me this guy's contact info. I'd like to set him up with my sister so she can stop mooching off my mom.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

caganer just likes to make sure his posting lives up to his name

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Husband (m29) reveals a shocking opinion on rape which results in big argument. How can I (f30) work past this?

quote:

I've just had a very intense argument with my husband of 2 years. My heart is pounding as I write this.

Basically there was an article in today's paper. The article was about a man who came home early to find his wife in bed with a neighbour. So the man goes back out, gets a couple of his friends/neighbours and they drag the couple out. They beat the man up. The husband takes his wife outside on the street where a crowd has gathered, and in the words of the article "had public sex with her" as all and sundry watched and she cried. In between the raping, he also took the time to slap her around.

Now, I was as horrified as I'm sure many of you are. I conveyed this to my hubby and was shocked at his reply. He basically was of the opinion that the husband did nothing wrong. He had a right to punish his wife for cheating on him. He said that because the wife publicly humiliated him he had a right to do the same. He did not even agree that it was rape, because they are married. The one thing he concedes is that he shouldn't have hit her.

Note, we live in a non-western culture that is institutionally sexist and concepts such as marital-rape have not sunk in here. My husband is a product of being raised in this culture while I have had the privilege of studying overseas. My husband has also been cheated on and it really affected him. But common sense and basic human empathy should make it clear that the husband in the story was wrong wrong wrong. I'm shocked and horrified by my husband's opinion and it's really starting to change how I look at him. We argued for a long while, and then he basically shut down because I was "overreacting" - I started crying and shaking because it really struck a nerve with me.

I don't want to have another argument but I really can't be content to think that my husband really thinks this way. Do I bring it up again? What can I do to change his mind? If he doesn't change his mind, wtf does that mean for us?

TLDR: We read newspaper article describing incident with violence and rape and husband thinks there's nothing wrong. I'm horrified and shocked. What can I do?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

caganer just likes to make sure his posting lives up to his name

I gotta believe that even a dirty peasant taking a horking poo poo in the street has better opinions on marital rape than our, caganer mask-in-fruit

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I [25F] am not allowed at my boyfriend’s [23M] house because his parents hate me.

quote:

EDIT: Wow. I can’t believe how in denial I have been this whole time. Some of the comments actually made me laugh at how stupid and naive I have been. To answer some of your questions:

I have confronted him about this more times than I can count but nothing has changed. It always ends in him saying his mom will never change and he’d rather not fight her on this.

He is financially independent but still likes to take some money from his parents. In other words, he’s much more comfortable living near them than in a house of his own without the money they contribute.

He doesn’t see himself moving in with me/moving away on his own any time soon. As I said before, he is comfortable this way.

His parents don’t know about me. They think we broke up a year into our relationship.

I want to thank you all for your comments and for opening my eyes to the seriousness of this situation. Thank you for taking the time to read and provide me with advice.

I wish I was kidding. My boyfriend and I have been together for 4 years. His parents have hated me from the moment they met me, mostly because they don’t want their son to date. His mom has always been very controlling and very invasive when it comes to his privacy. He moved out about 2 years ago but still lives in the same building as his parents (they own the building), and they have a key to his apartment.

Now whenever I go over, I have to park my car fairly far so he can pick me up, I am not allowed to park near his house as I can’t be seen with him. I have to duck because his mom looks out the window to check he is arriving alone and that no one is with him. I can’t go out and walk around, I can’t go in the kitchen because the window overlooks the stairs outside, I can’t take a shower if he isn’t present because they will hear noise upstairs; and whenever he is out getting something his mom will go up to check if someone’s there and throw a tantrum that he has someone over.

His mom has personally collected my possessions from his house and brought them to her house to show him she is aware he is having a girl over.

He doesn’t want to move because he doesn’t pay rent there, so it’s easier for him, but I am at the end of my rope here. I don’t think this situation is normal. He refuses to draw boundaries with his mother because he says she is too stubborn to understand or comply.

Reddit, I am stuck between a rock and hard place here. What should I do? Am I just being a big baby about this?

Tldr: I am not allowed at my boyfriends house because his parents hate me, and he won’t move because he doesn’t pay rent. Is this normal at all?

Let's see how well this relationship went!

quote:

I wanted to make an update since a lof people responded to my original post and helped me out.

I confronted my boyfriend one last time about the situation with his parents and said I was willing to work on it but I wouldn’t stay if he wasn’t willing to work on it as well. He ended up leaving me, because apparently he needs time alone and he doesn’t see himself in this relationship anymore, but he still wanted to see me as usual. I disagreed because it didn’t make sense to me. I found out today that he’d been dating a girl, i don’t know if he was dating her at the time we were still together, anything’s possible. So here I am trying to get over a trash ex- boyfriend all while dealing with questions about my self worth and why I didn’t see any of this coming.

Tldr: confronted boyfriend, he left me and is dating someone else.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
How nice is the apartment?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

I [25F] am not allowed at my boyfriend’s [23M] house because his parents hate me.

Let's see how well this relationship went!

Turns out the rock and hard place was just spineless complacency.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

dudeness posted:

How nice is the apartment?

It'd have to be a Friends-level apartment to justify any of this

and even then not really

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I (23M) want to host Dungeons and Dragons at my apartment every few weeks. My fiancee (23F) is against this

quote:

u/throwawaymushroompie
So, I met some guys at my workplace who like to watch sci fi movies, play video games, and play DnD. I'm into those first two things and they recently got me into DnD. We meet up every Saturday at someone's apartment and play for an evening. Generally we rotate apartments, so one person hosts each month. I cleared this with my fiance (5 year relationship, living together 1 year), and she was cool with it.

This afternoon, however, she asked me if we had to have it in our apartment. I asked why, and she said she would have nowhere to go. She doesn't have a lot of friends, and she messaged the ones she does have and none of them wanted to do anything or they had preexisting plans. She said she'd sit in a library but the libraries close at 5, and the coffee shops according to her get sketchy after dark. Plus she said she didn't want to sit in a coffee shop all evening long.

I asked her if it was just today that she wanted it elsewhere, and she said that she didn't want it in our apartment in general. Personally I feel this is unfair, it's just one night every month and I gave her loads of notice in advance.

What should I do? Should I tell the guys we can't have it at my place tomorrow night? Everyone else so far has held up their end of the bargain so I feel like they won't want me in the group if I say no. What's the best way to proceed here?

tl;dr My fiancee doesn't want me to host Dungeons and Dragons in our apartment tomorrow night, or at all, because she has nowhere to go.

Can she not just stay in the bedroom or out the way? Or go see a film. The mind boggles.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Why can't she play?

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
hire a babysitter to keep her entertained, I guess.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
So I’m not posting the wall of text of the post, but why do commenters on the sub always write conversations so weirdly.

Unsettled about things I heard about boyfriend

“some idiot” posted:

There's no "right" answer here. You have a fear that's not totally unwarranted, but might also be a figment of your imagination. You won't know until you know. And that's OK, even if it doesn't feel like it is.

Your boyfriend's character should become a lot clearer if you bring this up with him. Tell him that you can't help but notice how crass and sexual everything subject becomes when his friend is around.

Extra Points If . . . . . You give him a reason to feel protective of you. Men respond a lot better to that. If you tell him "your friend sucks and I hate him" then it's criticism. If you tell him "It's glaringly obvious that your friend makes every situation very, very sexual. And that scares me a little. I'm a girl and I've been taught to be wary of that kind of thing all my life. I could really use you to take a leadership role here and keep me feeling safe." then you bring the responsibility and the strength to his end of the table. It rewards him for being on your side.

People don’t talk like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

loquacius posted:

It'd have to be a Friends-level apartment to justify any of this

and even then not really

"girlfriend?!" his mom kramers in the door and just keeps kramering, sliding off around the room, bouncing against walls. she kramers against your toilet, busting it up big time. you get the feeling she's trying to say something to you but she's kramering at such a high velocity you just can't quite make it out. as she finally nails a window and falls out you think you hear her exclaim "I thought you two broke up, that's what's so crazy about this!" on the way down

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

TheScott2K posted:

Why can't she play?

My assumption is that she, like many other grown rear end adults, does not want to play pretend elf games with a group of sweaty manchildren until two in the morning.

Full disclosure: I play pretend elf games three times a week in my apartment

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I Was The Fury posted:

My assumption is that she, like many other grown rear end adults, does not want to play pretend elf games with a group of sweaty manchildren until two in the morning.

Beats pouting.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Why can't she play?

Probably she just doesn't want to, but maybe she's aware of the unspoken rule: don't play D&D with a SO

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

TheScott2K posted:

Why can't she play?

I don't someone who thinks "coffee shops get shady after 5PM" and apparently can't leave an apartment unescorted is really going to be a boon to a fantasy roleplaying game.

Unless, of course, they needs someone to play a comically hapless princess who keeps having to be rescued from things like a stiff breeze or a slightly heavy duvet.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I convinced my wife to join our D&D group and that hasn't blown up yet

She had a lot of fun making a gnome bard who is not particularly helpful in battle

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Milotic posted:

I (23M) want to host Dungeons and Dragons at my apartment every few weeks. My fiancee (23F) is against this

Can she not just stay in the bedroom or out the way? Or go see a film. The mind boggles.
It's a studio. I mean, it's still bizarre and seems kinda anti-social not to join in for at least the social part but he says he thinks she'd hate it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

I Was The Fury posted:

What about that story makes you think she is a grown rear end adult?

She is afraid of coffee shops in the dark.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One of our players once hosted a session in a tiny 1br and his husband declined to play but just wore headphones for a few hours and hung out with us during downtimes, it's really not difficult

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

What about that story makes you think she is a grown rear end adult?

She is afraid of coffee shops in the dark.

I just admitted to playing dnd, what makes you think I'm actually any kind of authority on what makes someone an adult

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Let the boyfriend build a soundproof pillow fort so they can have a separate space.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I’m not a cat person.

[UPDATE] My [21F] Parents [46F][61M] have decided to put down the family cat but won’t let me be there.

quote:

u/Elitice
If you don’t know the first part, here it is. A bittersweet story unfortunately. Ping (the family cat in question) was put to sleep at 10:01 am today, 6/15/18. I am an absolute mess about this but the only good part is that I was there. I convinced my mother to not only let me be present, but to individually take Ping to the vet. I am so thankful for the few minutes we got together privately before she fell asleep forever in my arms. I’m sorry, I wish I had better news.

TL;DR: I took Ping to the vet and she was put to sleep in my arms.

I guess you could say that this Ping...

timed out.

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Milotic posted:

timed out.

:pusheen:

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Milotic posted:

timed out.

Lol

Sucks about the cat though, my family recently had to put my childhood dog down after he got stomped on by a mule and I wish I had been there to say goodbye to him one last time.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Milotic posted:

but :siren: coffeeshops get "sketchy" after dark :siren:

honestly, my bet is it's a combination of neuroric as heck GF (darkness falls, the criminals are out oh no!) and a set of guys ranging from fedora owner to full blown incel who make her feel uncomfortable in her own apartment for valid reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
The fact that she couldn't make plans to be out of her house with presumably a month's notice is pretty telling.