Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Look, here. Just because I want to use my level 9 archetype trait making up a false identity wherein I'm actually the literal Beast from Beauty and the Beast (I'm not actually a Bugbear, I'm a handsome prince who's been cursed), and my level 13 archetype trait learning how to imitate my party members just to annoy them (because let's face it, neither of those traits are ever going to be relevant in AL), and my bonus proficiencies at level 3 are disguise kit (rofl bugbear) and poisoner's kit (come on, now, who's spending gold and downtime in AL to make 1-shot poisons) doesn't mean my Assassinate and Death Strike should also be blank if I can make good RP justification for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The sorcerer who had previously almost gotten the party called when a cockroach across the room triggered his phobia, causing him to run screaming out of the dungeon and bringing a dragon down on us was refusing to hand a valueless mundane artifact to a group of dwarves it was significant to.

When I produced a spider in front of his face via minor illusion he blasted me with a fireball. :tizzy:

My DM says it was justified because my summoning of the spider was "petulant".

It irritates me that the only time this guy takes his nose out of his phone is to drag the story to a halt for no reason.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Deep characterization!

Did your character proceed to murder the insolent sorcerer?

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Kindly point out that BA always got on the loving plane (I love that example, thank you thread) because the idea is that things happen, not that your hangups are so bad that you shouldn't be a goddamn adventurer. If dude wants to play Phobia Resolution The RPG maybe there are better options.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Conspiratiorist posted:

Deep characterization!

Did your character proceed to murder the insolent sorcerer?

I backed off and gave up on caring about this campaign.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

Like this is more of an in general comment but a lot of 'this should not be poo poo the GM does or the GM should do this and you're fine' really depends upon player and GM operating in sync for how a game plays and that rarely happens. I wonder if the people in this thread who don't ever have complaints and are confused why people do, have simply never run into this problem of a GM/player desync.

I think you might have just about answered your own question with:

kingcom posted:

And if you don't know its a problem or why its a problem, you just have 1 player who has a miserable experience and nobody knows why.

If you've played D&D for a while, it's very likely that at least one player in one group hasn't synced up with the GM. It's way less likely that it happened to you, personally.

--

There's also the way it's really hard to formulate a coherent complaint along the lines of "I didn't like these specific things" when you've only ever played the one game. And on top of that, it's really hard to understand such a complaint when you've only ever GMed the one system. So I think a lot of new players dismiss the whole thing with "RPGs aren't my thing, I guess" (or "this RPG is not my thing, I guess"), and GMs with narrow experience decide they don't need to worry about it because hey, if RPGs (or this RPG) aren't that player's thing, then what can you do?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I need some advice for homebrewing a pet for one of my players. He has a tiefling ranger that he really likes from Pathfinder and wants to play them in 5th edition. One of the character's defining features is that their animal companion is an "imp" (a pug in a bee costume that can fly). In Pathfinder, rangers just get animal companions for free. I don't want to force him to become a beast master for what's basically a minor, jokey part of his character's repertoire of abilities (especially because Horizon Walker seems like it suits his character really well), but I still want to retain the flavor of an animal companion.

The idea I had was that instead of his tiefling gaining the thaumaturge, hellish rebuke, and darkness spells, they could instead get a spell that mixes Find Familiar with some of the rules for animal companions.

quote:

Tiefling variant rule:

Upon character creation, a player may choose to forgo the Tiefling’s racial spells Thaumaturgy, Hellish Rebuke, and Darkness in exchange for the Find Dissian Imp spell. This spell gains additional qualities at 3rd and 5th character level.

Level 1
Find Dissian Imp
1st level conjuration (ritual)

Casting Time 1 hour
Range 10 ft.
Components V, S, M (a bone, the wings of a bumblebee, and a vial of sweet nectar)
Duration Instantaneous

You gain the service of a Dissian imp, a small beast from Hell with the appearance of a pug in a bee costume. Appearing in an unoccupied space within range, the Dissian imp has the same statistics as the default creature (see table). For each level you gain after 1st, your Dissian imp gains an additional hit die and increases its hit points accordingly.

The Dissian imp obeys your commands as best it can. It rolls for initiative like any other creature, but you determine its actions, decisions, attitudes, and so on. If you are incapacitated or absent, your Dissian Imp acts on its own.

When the Dissian imp drops to 0 hit points, it disappears, leaving behind no physical form. It reappears after you cast this spell again.

You cannot dismiss your Dissian imp. Though it is summoned from another realm, your Dissian Imp has a normal, corporeal body and requires its biological needs to be taken care of on a daily basis. The average adult Dissian imp eats about 6 ounces of food per day.

Level 3

Your Dissian imp shares your character’s proficiency bonus, beginning as +2 at level 3 and increasing to match your character’s proficiency bonus as you level up. This bonus is applied to the following areas: Armor Class, skills, saving throws, and attack bonus.

Level 5

When you cast a spell with a range of touch, your Dissian imp can deliver the spell as if it had cast the spell. Your Dissian imp must be within 100 feet of you, and it must use its reaction to deliver the spell when you cast it. If the spell requires an attack roll, you use your attack modifier for the roll.

Does this look pretty reasonable? I'm aiming at like... it not having the scouting power of a familiar and not having the combat power of an animal companion, but being cute and having a token ability to be present on the battlefield.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Cephas posted:

Does this look pretty reasonable? I'm aiming at like... it not having the scouting power of a familiar and not having the combat power of an animal companion, but being cute and having a token ability to be present on the battlefield.

Yeah, if a little overcomplicated. Also define if it's got it's own actions or shares some of them or whatnot.

The general template for tiefling subraces get a cantrip at 1, and real spells at 3 and 5. You could just give him Find Familiar, a cantrip and something else and shuffle the levels as needed. Giving the scout extra scouty options isn't particularly overpowered. Either way you should let him keep Thaumatergy, its good fun.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

kidkissinger posted:

So why are you even showing up to the sessions?
Seriously if you aren't having good time, either explain it to your group why or quit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kidkissinger posted:

The sorcerer who had previously almost gotten the party called when a cockroach across the room triggered his phobia, causing him to run screaming out of the dungeon and bringing a dragon down on us was refusing to hand a valueless mundane artifact to a group of dwarves it was significant to.

When I produced a spider in front of his face via minor illusion he blasted me with a fireball. :tizzy:

My DM says it was justified because my summoning of the spider was "petulant".

It irritates me that the only time this guy takes his nose out of his phone is to drag the story to a halt for no reason.

kidkissinger posted:

Yeah that's some bullshit. When you quit the campaign give the in-character reason of "gently caress that guy he's going to get me killed". If you don't quit fit some reason, straight up murder the sorcerer with the in-character reason of "gently caress that guy he was going to get me killed".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cephas posted:

I need some advice for homebrewing a pet for one of my players. He has a tiefling ranger that he really likes from Pathfinder and wants to play them in 5th edition. One of the character's defining features is that their animal companion is an "imp" (a pug in a bee costume that can fly).
As Relentless said, just swapping out their level 3 spell for find familiar is perfectly in line with tieflinginging. Or you could call it attuned magic item. Or you could just give it to them as a thing if it's mainly cosmetic. What's the story behind them getting it originally?

Also you are using the UA ranger yes?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cephas posted:

I need some advice for homebrewing a pet for one of my players. He has a tiefling ranger that he really likes from Pathfinder and wants to play them in 5th edition. One of the character's defining features is that their animal companion is an "imp" (a pug in a bee costume that can fly). In Pathfinder, rangers just get animal companions for free. I don't want to force him to become a beast master for what's basically a minor, jokey part of his character's repertoire of abilities (especially because Horizon Walker seems like it suits his character really well), but I still want to retain the flavor of an animal companion.

The idea I had was that instead of his tiefling gaining the thaumaturge, hellish rebuke, and darkness spells, they could instead get a spell that mixes Find Familiar with some of the rules for animal companions.

You could also just have him take 3 levels of warlock for pact of the chain and get an Imp familiar full stop

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Madmarker posted:

You could also just have him take 3 levels of warlock for pact of the chain and get an Imp familiar full stop
I was going to say just give them pact of the chain as their tiefling feature and give them a pseudodragon.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Looking for some recommendations for a two hour AL Tier 2 Mod. Preferably it has some decent amount of combat early on to get it out of the players systems. The simpler to run the better, as I only have about a day to prep. Thanks ya'll

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Are there any 4e campaigns that are considered pretty decent? Basically looking for something I can steal a plot and characters for and convert to 5e.

5e adventures are out because we have 1 person who owns all the books, loves to play and DM. I bought some third party books to throw things at the group but pretty much every 3rd party adventure is like 1 level over 2-4 sessions.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Just give him the pugbee. Have it get him in trouble occasionally. Bugbear wants to eat it, wild bees think it’s their queen, etc;

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Thanks for the advice all! I talked to him and he said he'd rather have my version than a pact of the chain familiar so I'm just going to roll with it. I think he's going to be using the revised ranger and be a horizon walker. Having to keep the pugbee out of trouble sounds like a lot of fun, I'm definitely going to remember that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My dice came in and I am super satisfied with them! And free dice!
I cannot figure out how to embed photos on the mobile app
http://imgur.com/gallery/V3A5osl

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 15, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RC Cola posted:

Very nice. Also, thanks for introducing me to another good dice manufacturer, rear end in a top hat.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

RC Cola posted:

Awesome! That metal set looks rad, and I love the case with the foam!

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Are there any 4e campaigns that are considered pretty decent? Basically looking for something I can steal a plot and characters for and convert to 5e.

5e adventures are out because we have 1 person who owns all the books, loves to play and DM. I bought some third party books to throw things at the group but pretty much every 3rd party adventure is like 1 level over 2-4 sessions.

Madness at Gardmore Abbey is pretty solid

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Subjunctive posted:

Very nice. Also, thanks for introducing me to another good dice manufacturer, rear end in a top hat.

Blame DKWildz

DKWildz posted:

I recently bought a big set of polymer dice from this neat company I got linked to from another site, and loved the different color options they had. It's literally a mom & pop company (just the husband and wife running it).

https://www.dieharddice.com/

I haven't really looked into buying metal dice sets, so I'm not savvy on prices for those, but the plastic prices were good, they looked great, and having written in the comments how I found them (it asks during checkout), they handwrote a note on the receipt and gave me a couple freebie metal dice with everything (a copper d20 and shiny gold d4). Everything showed up in under a week, too. Quite pleased with this company!

On a side note they just released a set of 6 rainbow metal d6 die today. Which I just bought. I am super pleased with them.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Looking for some recommendations for a two hour AL Tier 2 Mod. Preferably it has some decent amount of combat early on to get it out of the players systems. The simpler to run the better, as I only have about a day to prep. Thanks ya'll
Try Over the Edge, it's AL Season 7-02. Five one-hour mini-adventures at Tier 2. Set in Chult and triggers the Death Curse, obviously. For two hours, pick two of the five minis.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

RC Cola posted:

Blame DKWildz

On a side note they just released a set of 6 rainbow metal d6 die today. Which I just bought. I am super pleased with them.

Goddamnit, I'm buying entirely too many dice this month :D I blame myself as well.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hey guys just checking in, if I have a group of 5 level 4 players in a duengon and I have a room of say 7 CR 1/2 zombies with weapons am I being too deadly?

Should I give them access to +1 Weapons?

They're starting at level 4 and I was considering this extra rule:

You start with a BONUS 400g to spend on items from Magic Table A and B of the DMG. Common items will cost 75g a piece; Uncommon will cost 250g a piece; You can acquire a +1 Weapon of any sort from the PHB for 250g as well. Bundles of 20 +1 Ammo of whatever you're needing (bolts, arrows, sling shot ect) for 250g.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Hey guys just checking in, if I have a group of 5 level 4 players in a duengon and I have a room of say 7 CR 1/2 zombies with weapons am I being too deadly?

You start with a BONUS 400g to spend on items from Magic Table A and B of the DMG. Common items will cost 75g a piece; Uncommon will cost 250g a piece; You can acquire a +1 Weapon of any sort from the PHB for 250g as well. Bundles of 20 +1 Ammo of whatever you're needing (bolts, arrows, sling shot ect) for 250g.

Thats a lot of context needed to answer that.

Arey the using rolled stats, how optimised are they, what class composition do they have.

What are the CR 1/2 zombies like, thats not a MM monster or anything so I don't know what its packing. Do they know whats there before going in?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

kingcom posted:

Thats a lot of context needed to answer that.

Arey the using rolled stats, how optimised are they, what class composition do they have.

What are the CR 1/2 zombies like, thats not a MM monster or anything so I don't know what its packing. Do they know whats there before going in?

Sorry I meant CR 1/4 Zombies, the ones right out of the MM. I dono how optimized they are, nor do i know the composition because I left all that up to them to pick. They don't know what they're fighting going in.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Cephas posted:

Thanks for the advice all! I talked to him and he said he'd rather have my version than a pact of the chain familiar so I'm just going to roll with it. I think he's going to be using the revised ranger and be a horizon walker. Having to keep the pugbee out of trouble sounds like a lot of fun, I'm definitely going to remember that.

I hope he has a lot of fun with pugbee! I'm currently playing a level ten Horizon Walker Ranger and loving it. Recently my character was given an "Amulet of Good Boy" that lets me befriend any canine type creature. I'm looking forward to the trouble I can get into with a friendly hellhound or blink dog.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

Sorry I meant CR 1/4 Zombies, the ones right out of the MM. I dono how optimized they are, nor do i know the composition because I left all that up to them to pick. They don't know what they're fighting going in.

I think you (and they) will be fine ... If it's a big room, Zombies are only 20' movement, so their first turn could be spent using Dash and not attacking to get close to the group. You could also play zombies ... as zombies, and if they're facing the wrong way, maybe a few of them don't even react and attack immediately. They only have 1 attack each, so maybe they try and grapple multiple PC's instead of all-out attacking. The PC's still have their attacks, they just can't move if they get grappled. Undead Fortitude could be a problem if you're rolling well, but if you're rolling behind a screen, it's easy enough to have them fail that roll. If the party has a Wizard or someone with an AoE spell they may soften the entire group of zombies up before the main battle even happens, too!

As far as magic items, there's nothing wrong with that if you want to play that. Magic items are fun :) +1 weapons early can really shift how effective they are in taking down things, and also take a few monsters you might want to put in and be 'hard' as solo encounters (but that's okay, you could always modify that monster and use it) .... but there's always an option of giving them +0 magic weapons that maybe have little extra flavor abilities. I like this site for little things like that:

http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Lvl 4 party should just roll over bunch of zombies. Zombies got +3 attack with minimal damage and PC:s on front should have 18+AC and 30+HP
PC:s attacking zombies will almost autohit against their AC of 8.

Even an unoptimized party of 5 lvl 4 Bards should beat them easily.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

DKWildz posted:

I think you (and they) will be fine ... If it's a big room, Zombies are only 20' movement, so their first turn could be spent using Dash and not attacking to get close to the group. You could also play zombies ... as zombies, and if they're facing the wrong way, maybe a few of them don't even react and attack immediately. They only have 1 attack each, so maybe they try and grapple multiple PC's instead of all-out attacking. The PC's still have their attacks, they just can't move if they get grappled. Undead Fortitude could be a problem if you're rolling well, but if you're rolling behind a screen, it's easy enough to have them fail that roll. If the party has a Wizard or someone with an AoE spell they may soften the entire group of zombies up before the main battle even happens, too!

As far as magic items, there's nothing wrong with that if you want to play that. Magic items are fun :) +1 weapons early can really shift how effective they are in taking down things, and also take a few monsters you might want to put in and be 'hard' as solo encounters (but that's okay, you could always modify that monster and use it) .... but there's always an option of giving them +0 magic weapons that maybe have little extra flavor abilities. I like this site for little things like that:

http://www.lordbyng.net/inspiration/results.php

Ahhh my rooms like like 25 feet X 25 Feet.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
The above advice to "Play the zombies like zombies" is a huge deal if you are concerned with how the fight will play out. Regardless of what stats or abilities an enemy has, how you use them is often as much, if not more important.

You don't want to make it so easy that you can make ninja assassins mouthbreathing idiots who will be easily tricked by minor illussion. But you also don't want to do to the opposite extreme of making wild dogs spam the dodge action because "Well it's the most logical thing for it to do this turn". etc.

Said examples being a thing with an old pal of mine that GMs for us on rare occasions. He lets us get away with (and encourages) so much bullshit, to the point I have to talk him down from giving us more... But drat if he doesn't go full long war mod tactical when beasts or low INT monsters like hook horrors are involved for some reason :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 16, 2018

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Section Z posted:

The above advice to "Play the zombies like zombies" is a huge deal if you are concerned with how the fight will play out. Regardless of what stats or abilities an enemy has, how you use them is often as much, if not more important.

You don't want to make it so easy that you can make ninja assassins mouthbreathing idiots who will be easily tricked by minor illussion. But you also don't want to do to the opposite extreme of making wild dogs spam the dodge action because "Well it's the most logical thing for it to do this turn". etc.

Said examples being a thing with an old pal of mine that GMs for us on rare occasions. He lets us get away with (and encourages) so much bullshit, to the point I have to talk him down from giving us more... But drat if he doesn't go full long war mod tactical when beasts or low INT monsters like hook horrors are involved for some reason :v:

Yes I do have to avoid doing the old "The 5 goblin archers all shoot the Wizard because they know what a Wizard is and are smart enough to know shot the mage first."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gridlocked posted:

Yes I do have to avoid doing the old "The 5 goblin archers all shoot the Wizard because they know what a Wizard is and are smart enough to know shot the mage first."

The very rare occasions I've handled combat I've had AMAZING mileage with designating "That one rear end in a top hat taking potshots at your wizard/ranger" until there are no more ranged enemies to busy trying to avoid being murdered by the melee dudes.

Every two bit archer or enemy caster aiming at your back row PCs just blends into the background noise of encounters.

But when you have one rear end in a top hat with a crossbow on a ledge essentially daring your wizard to waste a spell slot on just him? Oh yes.

(Also if any of the zombies crit, make them do a roundhouse kick and explain "Clearly they used to be a monk or something")

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

And don't be afraid to make the corpses littering the room suddenly get up, and change the dynamic of the encounter.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Gridlocked posted:

Against level 4s i don't think the skeletons could win if they tried.

Maybe if you rolled initiative for them all together and they went first and all focused the wizard who forgot mage armour you could take him out at the start and then you'd have a chance, but otherwise they are just fodder.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Our level 4 party killed a t-rex last night!

It's technically just the 4 of us but with 2 helpful cat people guides and a Half elven sorceress. We all managed to get some blows in, even though one of our number ended up one hp away from being insta-gibbed. I even got to cast hellish rebuke and melt it's face off when it bit me!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

adhuin posted:

Even an unoptimized party of 5 lvl 4 Bards should beat them easily.

Well known unoptimized party, 5 of the best class

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Open Marriage Night posted:

And don't be afraid to make the corpses littering the room suddenly get up, and change the dynamic of the encounter.

also the other way around let some zombies lay down and be like "nah not today"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That's a real good website. I might use those for magic items in my own sessions...

Elfgames posted:

also the other way around let some zombies lay down and be like "nah not today"

I'm also gonna use this :laffo:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 16, 2018