Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also can we just talk about how Lady is da best and her appearance in DMC3 was the best addition the series has had period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I was fine with her outfit in 4 although making it completely white was pretty lame.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I was fine with her outfit in 4 although making it completely white was pretty lame.

Yeah it's just ... generic?? I guess. Her DMC3 outfit had so much more character and fit her personality.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

esperterra posted:

Her DMC4 outfit was just laaaame. I still can't comprehend how they somehow took p much the exact same outfit but managed to add the tiniest tweaks to push it into trash territory. I don't even care about it being more overtly sexy. Just something about the finished product was way off. Looked tacky as hell but not the good sort of tacky DMC often pulls off.

Maybe something just didn't translate to the updated graphics, idk. Like her tits grew 3 sizes that day or something.

Maybe that's my issue. It looks ill fitted. It looks too small for her compared to how the same basic design concept looked in 3. Throws the whole thing off. Also I don't like the sunglasses.
Yeah, I agree.

In 4 she just changed her shirt for a blazer (and nothing else) and she didn't even bother button up the blazer. That doesn't even look sexy tbh, just trashy.
The cool pouch skirt she had in 3 doesn't even look right anymore in 4.

I was glad to see that she had her DMC3 costume available in DMC4SE.

esperterra posted:

Also can we just talk about how Lady is da best and her appearance in DMC3 was the best addition the series has had period.
:hai:

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

DMC2 Dante is my favorite design.

I like the joke in Viewtiful Joe that DMC2 Dante is actually Enzo in disguise. Enzo being a PI who was only ever mentioned in the instruction manual of DMC1. He stole Dante's jacket.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is going to be interesting if DMC5 is indeed set after DMC2 as some people are speculating. Also it seems it was said in passing that Nocturne was canon to DMC?

Jack Trades posted:

In 4 she just changed her shirt for a blazer (and nothing else) and she didn't even bother button up the blazer. That doesn't even look sexy tbh, just trashy.
The cool pouch skirt she had in 3 doesn't even look right anymore in 4.

I was glad to see that she had her DMC3 costume available in DMC4SE.

You gotta admit there's a logical progression on the design that does fit Lady's character.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I can't imagine Nocturne being canon in the DMC universe, considering what happens in that game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lady's dmc4 design would bug me less if they didn't sell her dmc3 look as dlc instead of just putting it in the drat base game

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The version with Trish colors was pretty good. I forget if it was the one with the dumb unlock requirement of specifically B ranking the final mission or something.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is going to be interesting if DMC5 is indeed set after DMC2 as some people are speculating. Also it seems it was said in passing that Nocturne was canon to DMC?

You gotta admit there's a logical progression on the design that does fit Lady's character.

idk I never took Lady as the type to be a buxom vixen-like character. she's sexy but practical, because she kicks rear end.

i blame trish for the new outfit, clearly she spent too much time w/ her after the events of 3 !!

e: ^^ yeah the trish colour palette does make it look better. all that white pin-stripe looks rly bad without something to break it up, but darker suits the design more

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

On the other hand, Gloria is absolutely perfect.
Don't you people even dare disagree.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I do love how Trish rips off the Gloria disguise to reveal she was wearing more clothes underneath, somehow

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

esperterra posted:

idk I never took Lady as the type to be a buxom vixen-like character. she's sexy but practical, because she kicks rear end.

Unrealistic proportions aside, I find a simple pinstripe suit to be as "practical" as her schoolgirl outfit from 3. Both give me the same impression of Lady simply picking up the first outfit she found on her closet, strapping her metric ton of bullets and guns and getting down to business.

Jack Trades posted:

On the other hand, Gloria is absolutely perfect.
Don't you people even dare disagree.

:same:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gloria is fierce af and serving me assassin queen eleganza and I am v here for it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Unrealistic proportions aside, I find a simple pinstripe suit to be as "practical" as her schoolgirl outfit from 3. Both give me the same impression of Lady simply picking up the first outfit she found on her closet, strapping her metric ton of bullets and guns and getting down to business.

Fair tbh. It's just the execution that's off about it, really. And it looks super washed out without breaking it up with more belts of bullets or something. anything.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Lady owns and base DMC 4 needed more of her. I really should get the Special Edition.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

You're right, a real person would never ever ever wear anything like that.

Was he referring to the new chick? Because that definitely doesn't seem gratuitous or fanservicey design to me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Lady owns and base DMC 4 needed more of her. I really should get the Special Edition.

Lady and Trish are very fun to play and both have their own unique gameplay mechanics.
DMC4SE is pretty much the bestest DMC game right now for a good reason.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of which, any of you duders ever figure out a guaranteed way to secure a kill on Blitzes instead of letting them suicide as Trish in DMC4SE? I never did, and they're real bastards when gunning for an S-rank as a result.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
The only thing I could find that did much to them was the pandora laser

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
I would have never expected this E3 to drastically change my last.fm charts for this week

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

I love Lady and her pinstripe suit is very ugly.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I hope DMC5 has more rival fights than DMC4.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DoubleDonut posted:

I hope DMC5 has more rival fights than DMC4.

They will, after an insanely long and annoying gameplay sequence

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
no, Kamiya's not here to make me play Space Harrier

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DoubleDonut posted:

no, Kamiya's not here to make me play Space Harrier

Hey

Sometimes it’s Burnout

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when hideki kamiya said he'd like to see dmc5 to do something new and cool, he meant he wants 2/4 afterburner and 1/4 gain ground

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i hope the resident evil camera angles are gone and that orbs no longer affect rank

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sharrrk posted:

i hope the resident evil camera angles are gone and that orbs no longer affect rank

I too hope they learn any lessons from the intervening decade of Platinum games

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Counterpoint: Orbs is a pretty decent equivalent of exploration and better for a rating system than damage (which is already included in Style, so why the gently caress...), and the fixed camera angles are really useful for giving a certain feel. Fixed angles during combat can gently caress off, though.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Exploration is not stylish and I don't care about it, also if you're playing for rank then orbs become completely worthless as currency as soon as you've bought the last blue orb

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestonJew posted:

I can't imagine Nocturne being canon in the DMC universe, considering what happens in that game

I'd imagine Dante would find a way to avoid reality as we know it literally ending because Lucifer told you about how YHWH is a dick. It'd probably involve sweet kick flips off a guitar.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Shocking no one, some journalists are still extremely sore that people didn't like DmC

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2018/06/15/e3-2018-opinion-devil-may-cry-5-and-crackdown-3-are-suffering-from-a-similar-identity-crisis

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never seen a game that's more confident of its identity than Devil May Cry 5 so to accuse it of having an identity crisis is the epitome of bizarre.

Crackdown 3's been in development hell so it's a little more understandable to accuse that of having one, but it's not like I know about Crackdown at all to say either way.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

A bad and wrong opinion on IGN? I'm shocked. Truly.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've never seen a game that's more confident of its identity than Devil May Cry 5 so to accuse it of having an identity crisis is the epitome of bizarre.

At most you could say that it appears to be borrowing some of the aesthetic from DmC, with the contemporary modern setting (of fake London, rather than fake Vatican, Generic mediterranean/Art Deco City, or Gothic/Rococo island), and fleshy monsters. But then again that's probably a quirk of the engine rather than a conscious effort to echo DmC's visuals (no harsh filters over everything for one).

By the tone of the trailer, it's pretty clear what it's going for though, with a clear goal and identity. Which, ironically enough, DmC struggled with due to the different directions Capcom and NT wanted to push the series.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lol @ign cry more bitch

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can't wait to see Dante in all his glory instead of at a weird angle because he's on a motorbike

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hell, :same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

reviews for DmC across the board had this air of desperation to them, even for the better outlets