Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

poopinmymouth posted:

So the gendering is just totally coincidental and happens to dovetail with society's roles for women/men?

It's probably either about environmentalism or motherhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

we do live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia with the shittiest possible excuse for litcrit

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Food Boner posted:

i wish there was a second internet or some sort of fora with which people could discuss their views on things

oh well

self organized and strictly controlled communities of people with known character and integrity--basically communes of the Online--is about as close as it gets to good-faith discussion on the internet without brainwormed morons hijacking every single discussion and driving it into the dumbest possible territory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8v_XqFO8Bc

this is also true irl. relationships and communities are going to be more and more important, the more alienated and schizophrenic and scared and duplicitous and maliciously cowardly individuals become

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Did Wallace Shawn and Andre Gregory understand Thatcherism before it even hit its stride or was it an accident?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/PostEverything/status/1006983079112691712

quote:

What does it say about American infrastructure that a pizza chain is paying for our repairs? I don't know, but I'll take it.

When I moved to Delaware two and a half years ago, I was impressed by the quality of the infrastructure, including the relative lack of potholes. I had most recently worked as a city manager in northeast Ohio — a region known for tough, cold winters with lake effect snow and endless potholes. There, we knew how hard it was to keep ahead in the never-ending race to fix our streets with limited resources.

I was told that being positioned between the Delaware and Chesapeake bays, our peninsula had more moderate weather. Then three weeks into my new job, a nor’easter hit Delaware, bringing snow, winds, flooding and cold temperatures. And that meant potholes.

Over the next two years, I learned more about the infrastructure needs of Milford (approximately 10,000 residents) and the funding mechanisms we had available. While some streets in Milford are maintained by the state, the majority are the city’s responsibility. Deferred maintenance on other streets meant that while about half of Milford’s streets are in good or satisfactory condition, the rest were rated fair, poor, very poor or serious condition.

While Ohioans have, in my experience, greater sensitivity to street maintenance, Delawareans are no less upset when a truck rumbles over a pothole near their house and wakes them up. But Delaware also prides itself on being a low-tax state, and that has attracted many residents over the years who expect excellent services with low taxes and rare, if ever, tax increases.

So when I learned in the winter that Domino’s was offering checks to municipalities to repair their potholes as part of a marketing campaign, I quickly responded.

We worked with Domino’s ad agency to ensure the city would be portrayed in a positive light (not as some pothole-infested place you’d never want to visit) and to address any ethical concerns (i.e. we are not endorsing any particular brand of pizza). Our role was easy. In exchange for a $5,000 check, Domino’s wanted photos — before and after shots. They didn’t want to send a video crew. They didn’t want high-resolution photos. They wanted cellphone shots of a bunch of guys patching potholes. The work was fun for our maintenance team: They rolled out our new patching system and got to work. They added the tagline and Domino’s logo in spray chalk, and in two weeks, more than 40 potholes of different sizes were patched across Milford.

Many of us are more familiar with business to business promotions (like show your baseball ticket for a discount at a partner restaurant), but rarely has a business directly invested in making our infrastructure better through an ad campaign.

Domino’s campaign has sparked interesting commentary, some of it negative, about what it says that a pizza chain is funding basic infrastructure repairs. One critic called it “a sign of both how horribly infrastructure has crumbled in America and how much power we have ceded corporations,” while another likened it to the trend of “funding our healthcare through GoFundMe.”

But we saw this as a positive for our community. $5,000 is not a small amount of money relative to our budget for street repairs. Our general fund budget is $9 million, more than half of which funds our police department. In many communities, there’s constant competition between paying for police and everything else. Milford is no different. The budget for street and road materials, for maintenance and repairs of local streets, is just $30,000, and this must be stretched to cover crack sealing and other repairs, in addition to fixing potholes.

The state of Delaware’s Municipal Street Aid fund shares a limited amount of funding with municipalities to help pay for street maintenance. But in Milford’s case, that aid only covers about a quarter of our annual needs for resurfacing projects. As a result, we have been working hard to fund infrastructure repairs and maintenance through other means to extend the life of our streets.

For instance, we stretch the utility repair funds as much as possible by combining projects — if we need to repair a water line but we know a sewer line on the same block also will need repairs, we will wait to do those together, to avoid paying to rip up and fix the street twice. We’re working with other levels of government to try to find ways we can share equipment or work on projects together — we bought a new street sweeper this year, and another community will likely be borrowing it. We’ve automated garbage collection. The new patching system we bought in the fall uses a technique that can be deployed in cold temperatures, so we can patch all year round and not just when it’s warm outside.

There are people in this country who think government wastes money. But I treat city tax dollars as if they were my own dollars, and I encourage city employees to do the same. Get three bids on every project; get three quotes on every purchase. Turn off the lights. Be good stewards. We were able to get lower prices on fuel by getting bulk discounts through state contracts. We apply for 2-4 grants a year and maybe get one. But a lot of basic services can’t be funded by grants. We continue to try to develop the innovative types of ideas that foundations like to fund, but the basics — plowing the snow, collecting garbage, the regular stuff that makes a city function — no one gives you a grant for that. Taking $5,000 from a pizza chain to repair our roads was not a difficult decision.

If there’s one thing most governments have a harder time funding than street repairs, it’s marketing and promotion. I’m willing to bet that many Americans would have a hard time finding our small state on a map; it would be harder still to locate Milford. So I’m also hoping that this campaign brings more awareness to the great state of Delaware and to what we’re accomplishing here in Milford — with our small team of city employees, we’re operating more efficiently and delivering increased service levels for the same or lower rates.

I’ve worked in local government for 30 years, and attitudes toward taxes have been evolving. Our residents have legitimate expectations that we will be careful with their dollars and limit increases in their taxes. And, if taxing formulas and methodologies are perceived as fair to everybody and we demonstrate good stewardship of our resources, then hopefully fewer people will complain about paying taxes. My job, as a professional local government manager, is to identify the best alternatives to providing crucial city services in an equitable manner and then bring those recommendations to our policymakers. Sometimes that means creative financing. And sometimes that means letting Domino’s pick up the tab.

loving lmao

all this for five thousand US dollars. meanwhile, they're spending over four and a half million bucks a year on the police department

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
as the 70's ticked over into the 80's i think there was a general sense of All Not Being Entirely Well for everyone.

if a vertiginous sense of historical doom on the cusp of the Reagan/Thatcher Power Hour is your aesthetic jam, you'll really like season 2 of Fargo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Main Paineframe posted:

loving lmao

all this for five thousand US dollars. meanwhile, they're spending over four and a half million bucks a year on the police department

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

I realized too late that the pizza boys hadn't patrolled this sector for years. As I was admiring the Domino's logo on the pavement, I missed the McCaltrops 50 feet up ahead. I regained consciousness slumped over the steering wheel with the taste of blood in my mouth. Before I blacked out again, I caught a glimpse of a roving band of Hamburglars leading my wife and son over the horizon at gunpoint.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
double posting

HorrificExistence posted:

Seems they hit and sunk a UAE corvette with an anti-ship missile.

Sauds seem to have done a large scale para operation, despite naval issues.

Livestreaming POV of your air-assualt, I love 2018.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN0Dg2RNakw

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Of course Uncle Enzo has got a pothole angle

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
this is p much my posting rig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-3iathMo7o

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

loving lmao

well, how are the police supposed to protect 10,000 people without a SWAT team and APC?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Gimme some of that thumb love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbcuK8WBKE8&t=480s

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I mean, it’s comically overpriced, but I think the concept is neat as a big dumb thing to put in your apartment and wait for the bombs to drop

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

loving lmao

Subsidised time is just around the corner

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Main Paineframe posted:

loving lmao

the 51st state: dominos store #1753

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

without police to maintain the capitalist status quo, what good are roads anyway

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Feral Integral posted:

Of course Uncle Enzo has got a pothole angle

they wont need deliverators i guess

quote:

Ford has teamed up with Domino's Pizza to test automated delivery of pizzas, the Detroit News reports.

Customers who participate in the test will get a text message telling them that their pizza is ready. From there, they'll come out to the curb and punch the last four digits of their phone number into a touchscreen mounted by the rear passenger door. "The window rolls down and the customer grabs their order from a warming oven just inside the window," according to the Detroit News.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Main Paineframe posted:

loving lmao

What we really need to do is monetize the police force. I'd be proud to live in a municipality where the police cars on patrol have a Pepsi logo on them, and the uniforms are Pepsi colors. Think of how many eyeballs those patrol cars are catching each day.

Whenever a police officer detains a person of color for a minor traffic violation they should yell "Stop in the name of the law, PepsiCo Inc, it's subsidiaries and shareholders. You have the right to remain silent, you have the right to a refreshing beverage" as the jails would all serve exclusively Pepsi products.

Think of how many sniper rifles and flashbang grenades we could buy for our boys in blue with that ad revenue.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The New Yorker posted:

I put a quarter in the siren. Ten minutes later, I was on the scene. It was a normal office building, strangled on all sides by public sidewalks. I hopped over them and went inside.

“Home Depot™ Presents the Police!®” I said, flashing my badge and my gun and a small picture of Ron Paul. “Nobody move unless you want to!” They didn’t.

“Now, which one of you punks is going to pay me to investigate this crime?” No one spoke up.

The future was four years ago.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

What we really need to do is monetize the police force. I'd be proud to live in a municipality where the police cars on patrol have a Pepsi logo on them, and the uniforms are Pepsi colors. Think of how many eyeballs those patrol cars are catching each day.

Whenever a police officer detains a person of color for a minor traffic violation they should yell "Stop in the name of the law, PepsiCo Inc, it's subsidiaries and shareholders. You have the right to remain silent, you have the right to a refreshing beverage" as the jails would all serve exclusively Pepsi products.

Think of how many sniper rifles and flashbang grenades we could buy for our boys in blue with that ad revenue.

Crusader has issued a correction as of 14:52 on Jun 14, 2018

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Yes, yes, wapo is a shitrag but fuckin lol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...e569_story.html

quote:

Inside Casa Padre, the converted Walmart where the U.S. is holding nearly 1,500 immigrant children

BROWNSVILLE, Tex. — For more than a year, the old Walmart along the Mexican border here has been a mystery to those driving by on the highway. In place of the supercenter’s trademark logo hangs a curious sign: “Casa Padre.”

But behind the sliding doors is a bustling city unto itself, equipped with classrooms, recreation centers and medical examination rooms. Casa Padre now houses more than 1,400 immigrant boys, dozens of them forcibly separated from their parents at the border by a new Trump administration “zero-tolerance” policy.

So this is the "or whatever"

:911:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crusader posted:

they wont need deliverators i guess

Do they not understand that half the reason to get delivery is so you don't have to leave the house? If I have to put on shoes and real pants and walk outside then I might as well just get take out somewhere.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

bazomatic posted:

Yes, yes, wapo is a shitrag but fuckin lol:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...e569_story.html

So this is the "or whatever"

:911:

I want to ask the administration what's the process for eventually re-uniting these kids with their parents

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

clearly they need to automate the ninja turtle pizza canon

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Rated PG-34 posted:

clearly they need to automate the ninja turtle pizza canon

no way, the real magic is "Pizza Gas"

what is it? how do we exploit it? why isn't the government looking into this? unless of course they've already known about it for years...

my god! the mad men!

(also, footsoldier kill tally. hell yeah)

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

this lovely world wouldn't be half as lovely if science bitches didn't get cucked by so entirely by the police state

in the selections from this article this dork is excited that he is helping the police tap into your deeply personal chemical history in order to give bastard cops and corporate creeps more information about how you fritter away your time

motherfucking gattaca world right around the corner

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Jun 15, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Main Paineframe posted:

private schools aren't actually "better"

they're just allowed to be more selective about who they enroll, so they can exclude low-performing kids, poor kids, ESL kids, disabled kids, and anyone else who might drag down their scores

This deserves to be quoted constantly. Wasn't there some study that found little difference between public and private schools when adjusting for student's parent income or something?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/faceokay/status/1007037205251067904

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Over Easy posted:

this lovely world wouldn't be half as lovely if science bitches didn't get cucked by so entirely by the police state

in the selections from this article this dork is excited that he is helping the police tap into your deeply personal chemical history in order to give bastard cops and corporate creeps more information about how you fritter away your time

motherfucking gattaca world right around the corner

“this is about helping people”

no

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Over Easy posted:

oh please, they know what they're doing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Prav posted:

oh please, they know what they're doing

Life's too short to worry about whether your creations are used for good or evil.

Somebody's going coordinate all those trains, I might as well be the one to get the paycheck.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

https://twitter.com/tatotime/status/1007449239172079616?s=19

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Les Canines Terrible

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Helping people from this kind of poo poo is always with the subtext of "finding their rightful place" which is never not scary honestly

I will forever die on the hill that post-cyberpunk is literally just shifting the perception of cyberpunk in such a way that, if you squint hard enough, the crushing, soulless hypercapitalist system is actually good if you only look at the people close enough to the top to benefit from it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yikes

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

WampaLord posted:

Les Canines Terrible

Boner Pill Connoisseur
Apr 23, 2002

I took the blue pill.

so when we get around to cloning the dead what's gonna be the familial obligation to progenitor anyway

we're gonna force these clones to visit the graves too lol, like a nightmare dias de los muertos

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

jist go to the shelter and get a new one you weirdo

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Did they fix the thing where clones keep the genetic age of the original and start to develop all sorts of horrid disorders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turns out that was just the fact the scientists had dolly gently caress a lot