Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Wait, so how did he get captured and put into that prison you free him from in the main game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That ending was garbage. Were any of us expecting different?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So all these DLCs are basically the authors realizing they got away with how poo poo the main story was and that it'd be easy to sell endless crap to the game's audience aren't they?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Wiseblood posted:

Wait, so how did he get captured and put into that prison you free him from in the main game?

He wasn't. That one is a sleeper agent. The real prompto is a half eaten corpse on a hillside somewhere after his snowmobile ran out of fuel in the middle of a snowfield and he had no supplies (or skills).

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

goatface posted:

He wasn't. That one is a sleeper agent. The real prompto is a half eaten corpse on a hillside somewhere after his snowmobile ran out of fuel in the middle of a snowfield and he had no supplies (or skills).

If this DLC was Prompto having a bad dream and none of it actually happened, that those soldiers just chained him up to the same cross Seifer did Squall in FF8 when they found him, then I'd have been happier.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Did they just literally rip off that Terror Worm somebody made in Besiege a couple of years ago? Because I challenge you all to look at this and tell me with a straight face that they didn't rip off that Terror Worm that somebody made in Besiege.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Did they just literally rip off that Terror Worm somebody made in Besiege a couple of years ago? Because I challenge you all to look at this and tell me with a straight face that they didn't rip off that Terror Worm that somebody made in Besiege.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Wiseblood posted:

Chuckles put him there. Because I guess they didn't bother telling whoever wrote this that it had to end with him crucified, not riding off triumphantly(?) into the sunset.

What the hell is the point of putting sidequests and crap in a story-based DLC? You're pretty clearly meant to rocket across from point to point, not dick around for an hour running over mini mammoths or whatever.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zenostein posted:

What the hell is the point of putting sidequests and crap in a story-based DLC? You're pretty clearly meant to rocket across from point to point, not dick around for an hour running over mini mammoths or whatever.

You're being very generous here.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Challenge accep...phhhhhhhhht that totally is that thing just with more polygons and poo poo.

Well FF started with blatantly stealing D&D monsters so may as well blatantly steal anything.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Cerebral Bore posted:

You're being very generous here.

Well, that's the intent, at any rate. Even if the story is crap and doled out by making you look around for tape decks, for some goddamn reason.

I mean, the draw certainly isn't the gameplay. Nobody plays a final fantasy game for a poo poo version of splinter cell.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Someone said they spent 10 years making this game. What the hell did they do in the last 9 years?

The story is OK. A little heavy but not too many plot holes, nor are there any obvious ways where the whole thing could've been avoided "if character X did or said Y". The game play seems kind of bland. Imperial soldiers seem to be way over-used as sword fodder. A lot of dark color palettes on enemies too, which could be mood appropriate, but most of the game takes place in what appears to be summer weather.

As to the map, you have 3 continents and you have a whole bunch of towns on the first continent and like one or two areas in one of the other continents and I think the last one had 2 towns and a bunch of train stations. You brought your car with you, but where could you go? Why would you go there? I might've skipped those segments because I just didn't care.

Other than the plot, what's so special about the 13 kings arms? It's great that they can do more damage, but at the cost of HP (which is trivial since you can buy and chug potions all game long), but that's all they do. There's no special effects to them or special attack skills (or summons! FF games were once known for summon arts). In fact, the actual summons seemed to be only usable as plot specific QTEs.

Dungeon designs seemed a bit lazy too. You are either running around a base with destructible cat-walks everywhere, or you're in a set of caves or tunnels. Puzzles consist of "find key item and bring it back to switch to turn on switch which opens path"

With the way Cindy was introduced, you'd expect her to be more plot relevant and maybe even a playable party member, but all she ends up doing is being a body shop and fan service. Same with all the female characters. They didn't even give them a new rendering or cut-scene after the 10 year time skip. I'd figure that Iris and Cindy at least would like to see you before you go off and beat the game. The new renderings for your party after that skip were also fairly lazy. Prompto got a goatee and Ignis got new glasses, but they don't look like they changed much, whereas Noctis looks like he just finished production on the latest "Yakuza" installment.

Speaking of plot-holes, how did they know when Noctis was gonna return to the world, and where he was gonna end up? Did they just keep dialing his cell until they got a ping? I think I just missed this part. Maybe Ardyn was helping everyone while Noctis was dormant in the giant geode. He's probably the only person who knew what was going on back on earth.

Overall, it looks like this game got too much feature-creep and not enough time to polish everything. They did try to make up for FF13 being too linear, but a bigger map and more side-quests does not necessarily mean a better game. It's not really the worst game I've seen, but if that 10 year development number is correct, it cooked way too long for what we got.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

That is mostly completely accurate. The only thing to correct is that summons aren't triggered by plot (aside from when they are), but they're basically enabled by 3 things. 1 - everyone but Ramuh and maybe Shiva have to be in a relevant location or something. Leviathan won't show up in the middle of the desert. Titan.... I don't think I ever got him to show up besides plot trigger, but somehow he can I guess. Ramuh shows up wherever. 2 - triggered by danger mode, so the lower HP or more of your fool friends die and the more likely the trigger. And 3 - just... if the fight ends up going too long. Eventually the Gods get tired of how long their chosen king is stabbing wolves or bugs and decide to just end the loving fight lend aid to their champion.

Honestly I don't blame them for ever really getting it in the game. I know the stupid prompt is one of the shoulder bumpers and it never seems like it's happy with you holding it, or tapping it. So eventually I did one or the other and it would finally go.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

mastersord posted:

As to the map, you have 3 continents and you have a whole bunch of towns on the first continent and like one or two areas in one of the other continents and I think the last one had 2 towns and a bunch of train stations. You brought your car with you, but where could you go? Why would you go there? I might've skipped those segments because I just didn't care.

You could glitch out of boundary in the pregame download and tour the capacious, totally empty continents around altissia and nifleheim. At some point management told them to stop jacking it to Cindy and piece together some type of product to market.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The project existed for 10 years, but was not actually being worked on that entire time and was certainly scrapped and restarted with different people a couple times.
Stuff like bringing your car with you after leaving the first continent, but then the 2nd continent exists only as 1 city that's promptly blown up, and the 3rd continent just being a train that takes you between a couple places on a huge map, makes it pretty clear that once the game was actually in development they were rushed to put out what they had as soon as there was a functional game with a beginning and end. "That's good enough we can't waste any more time on expanding or adding depth to any ideas. The shareholders and fans keep asking us when Versus 13 is coming out. Also we're taking a bunch of your budget and story to make a feature film to promote it."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mastersord posted:

Overall, it looks like this game got too much feature-creep and not enough time to polish everything. They did try to make up for FF13 being too linear, but a bigger map and more side-quests does not necessarily mean a better game. It's not really the worst game I've seen, but if that 10 year development number is correct, it cooked way too long for what we got.

I don't even think it's feature creep. It literally looks like they ran out of cash and someone told them they have three weeks to make a shippable product.

It's honestly been a few years since Ive really played through some games but I definitely remember 10 being on rails and from what I played of 12 seemed like that as well. I think it's probably just lovely game design philosophy on Square's part. The Pokemon games were incredibly linear as well but they'd set up the map in such a way where it felt like part of an actual world they made as opposed to getting on a lovely amusement park ride for a series of vinettes.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Mass Effect Andromeda actually does have a giant robot worm and the fight is much more engaging since you're actually on the ground shooting it with guns. Andromeda is not a good game but I'd still take it over this trash.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

1500quidporsche posted:

It's honestly been a few years since Ive really played through some games but I definitely remember 10 being on rails and from what I played of 12 seemed like that as well. I think it's probably just lovely game design philosophy on Square's part. The Pokemon games were incredibly linear as well but they'd set up the map in such a way where it felt like part of an actual world they made as opposed to getting on a lovely amusement park ride for a series of vinettes.

12 is weird. It had some similar development issues to 15 but they did a much better job of covering up the seams. It's as on-rails as any FF game in that there's always a clear next destination, but aside from the initial part where Vaan keeps stumbling into being dragged along places you can go freely into a lot of areas that are way over your head. Definitely not nearly as much of a story tube as X was.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Cerebral Bore posted:

man any robot worm thing is going to be a giant drill worm of some sort

I'm pretty sure terraria has a giant drill worm, even

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spent the entire chase scene thinking of something better

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gamerofthegame posted:

man any robot worm thing is going to be a giant drill worm of some sort

I'm pretty sure terraria has a giant drill worm, even

It's more that it has those exact same drilly bits in the same configuration around its head.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So what the hell did I just watch? Was it all a dream while he was a prisoner waiting on Noctis to rescue him or did he get bopped on the head and captured offscreen immediately after the DLC ended?

That's only the most recent of many, many questions.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
To be fair it's pretty clear that Aranea, as one of two competent characters in the game, totally carried our gun goober through all this poo poo, so of course he'd get captured immediately once she left.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Zoe posted:

So what the hell did I just watch? Was it all a dream while he was a prisoner waiting on Noctis to rescue him or did he get bopped on the head and captured offscreen immediately after the DLC ended?

That's only the most recent of many, many questions.

It all happened, then Ardyn captured Prompto offscreen.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the saddest thing is i think that was the most competently executed boss fight so far

so yikes

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

aegof posted:

It all happened, then Ardyn captured Prompto offscreen.

So what was the point of letting him escape in the first place then?

Was it some elaborate plan to have him kill the crazy old scientist man in the worm-bot? Immortal time-stopping Ardyn's powers weren't quite up to jacking a snowmobile and mashing down on a trigger?

e: although I guess I like this theory because sticking tape recorders and random sheets of paper all over the place for Prompto to find in a specific order does seem like a very Ardyn kind of plan.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 16, 2018

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Zoe posted:

So what was the point of letting him escape in the first place then?

Was it some elaborate plan to have him kill the crazy old scientist man in the worm-bot? Immortal time-stopping Ardyn's powers weren't quite up to jacking a snowmobile and mashing down on a trigger?

e: although I guess I like this theory because sticking tape recorders and random sheets of paper all over the place for Prompto to find in a specific order does seem like a very Ardyn kind of plan.

He probably thought it'd be funny to have Prompto kill his "father".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Nah, he's just a dick and wanted to pump up Pom's self esteem before breaking it.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

That just makes him even more relatable as a villain.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think the legit (at least, I thought about it for 20 seconds, which means 19 seconds more than squenix) reason for Ardyn wanting you to kill his dad is that he made that one giant doom weapon in the fmv where the empire wrecked poo poo up and killed King King Regis. That giant doom weapon was a weapon to surpass metal gear the magic barrier that was stronger than demons for ten thousand years. So if he made such a powerful thing, then that means he can make something stronger than the guy made of all the demons. So he got rid of that guy. The fact he can troll his dumb great great great nephew's dumbass friend into patricide instead of doing it himself was a bonus.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think the legit (at least, I thought about it for 20 seconds, which means 19 seconds more than squenix) reason for Ardyn wanting you to kill his dad is that he made that one giant doom weapon in the fmv where the empire wrecked poo poo up and killed King King Regis. That giant doom weapon was a weapon to surpass metal gear the magic barrier that was stronger than demons for ten thousand years. So if he made such a powerful thing, then that means he can make something stronger than the guy made of all the demons. So he got rid of that guy. The fact he can troll his dumb great great great nephew's dumbass friend into patricide instead of doing it himself was a bonus.

What did I just read

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Drunk Hideo Kojima's Final Fantasy justification hour.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 68: Hard and Fast

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

I forgot Cor even existed. Remember when he was in the game 50 episodes back? Me neither.

loving

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did they update leather-boy's model?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
If Cor was a fool and barely made it our alive might as well get Gladios headstone ready. I'm guessing it would be a cup noodle carved out of stone.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I think Ardyn just wanted to die but also wanted humanity to stop using daemons and making them more powerful and prolific. He's kinda insane from being alive for thousands of years but he's more of a puppeteer. He manipulated the empire into creating weapons and attacking everyone, but he also worked behind the scenes in it's undoing. Some of his actions made little to no sense (killing Luna and turning her brother into an undead daemon-human hybrid). I'm not even sure the party put together that Ardyn killed Luna, so I'm not sure why he even bothered.

His actions could be taken as super cryptic and mysterious, or just poorly written for a villain with conflicts. There isn't really a moment where his actions throughout were necessary. If he wasn't part of the plot, Luna and her brother would still be alive, but the party would still end up doing exactly what it did. Maybe he had a part in daemon research or steering the emperor to attack Insomnia, but I'm not certain of that either. I blame the writing for that. I kinda understand what they were trying to do, but I don't think it worked. Ardyn just comes off as a dick who was given too much screen-time and relevance. Maybe he could've been a better mid-boss and either the emperor or Ifrit could've been better for the end-boss. Bahamut hardly had much of a role either, other than a plot dump and a cut-scene summon. Maybe he could've been an end-boss.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Are you guys not going to do the Ignis DLC that's out?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'm kind of morbidly curious whether the Ignis DLC actually shows what happened to blind him or if it ends just before it, so everything was a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Bocc Kob posted:

I'm kind of morbidly curious whether the Ignis DLC actually shows what happened to blind him or if it ends just before it, so everything was a waste of time.

This is my main interest in it too although I'm expecting/hoping for the latter.

What does Gladio do with the magic king-protecting powers he gets anyhow? Just has them become obsolete while Noctis hangs out in a crystal for ten years and then isn't really involved much in the whole saving the world thing after?

I mean I legitimately might be forgetting something, I couldn't follow the plot at all after a certain point.

• Locked thread