Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

In real things dragging a game down. Fourth edition DND would have made a perfect game but nope gently caress you.

To delve into/explain this- 4th edition D&D had a very well balanced tactical rulesset (that made the fans howl with betrayal over changing too many sacred cows.) Unfortunately during its publication the rights to a D&D videogame were held by Atari who basically did nothing. There was like a Facebook game and that was it. By the time they expired Wizards of the Coast had shifted course and was already developing the much more traditional, "let the DM figure it out, man" rules that became 5th edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the problem is now there's an assumption that everyone has a large enough TV.

I dunno, with a large TV you still often end up with issues with the UI elements being very tiny. Especially if you're sitting further back from the TV because it's large enough to do so.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Karma Tornado posted:

Developers need to look at what their UI elements look like on a television at any distance and not just on a monitor at their desk. Mafia 3 has black and white PS4 button icons a quarter inch high in tutorial pop ups. Far Cry 5 has straight white no drop shadow icons showing what throwable you have equipped while driving that are maybe three sixteenths of an inch square. God of War added a text size slider that didn't magnify the like pants armor stat tool tips at all, but did bump up the size of the lore journal fluff.

For real. Dead Rising was the game that finally made me bite the bullet and get an HDTV. You seriously could not read the subtitles on a standard def TV.

Speaking of Dead Rising, it was pretty fun for the most part but I hated the concept that no matter what you did you'd have to replay the game to get anywhere close to a good score. That, combined with the idiotic AI of the fuckers you were rescuing sort of brought it down a notch for me.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Jun 16, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BiggerBoat posted:

For real. Dead Rising was the game that finally made me bite the bullet and get an HDTV. You seriously could not read the subtitles on a standard def TV.

Dead Rising was infamous for this at the time too, I remember so many people getting mad about that game's text.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Been dipping into Sleeping Dogs and I wish the missions that raise Face weren't so sparse. Face levels lock off a lot of vehicle and wardrobe options and in theory it's cool to just be doing a lot of poo poo to get more respected but after you finish most of the early ones in North Point they get very thin on the ground. Shoulda had it work like Respect in the Saints Row games from 2 on.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Karma Tornado posted:

Developers need to look at what their UI elements look like on a television at any distance and not just on a monitor at their desk. Mafia 3 has black and white PS4 button icons a quarter inch high in tutorial pop ups. Far Cry 5 has straight white no drop shadow icons showing what throwable you have equipped while driving that are maybe three sixteenths of an inch square. God of War added a text size slider that didn't magnify the like pants armor stat tool tips at all, but did bump up the size of the lore journal fluff.
At some point developers decided that text needs to be completely unreadable on a normal-size screen. Somehow it only seems to get worse with each release. Whoever is responsible for this trend should be fired.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

At some point developers decided that text needs to be completely unreadable on a normal-size screen. Somehow it only seems to get worse with each release. Whoever is responsible for this trend should be fired.

Why? It gets gamers to buy bigger and bigger screens, which they certainly aren't going to do for TV shows/movies.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yardbomb posted:

Dead Rising was infamous for this at the time too, I remember so many people getting mad about that game's text.

Yeah, HDTVs were far from standard when it came out so a lot of people couldn’t read a drat thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Why? It gets gamers to buy bigger and bigger screens, which they certainly aren't going to do for TV shows/movies.
Game developers don't have any incentive to sell televisions. It's just a bad graphic design trend, of which there have been many.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Game developers don't have any incentive to sell televisions. It's just a bad graphic design trend, of which there have been many.

Yeah, different industries never work together to take more money from consumers.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I mean, Sony is in both markets. it's a very stupid train of thought for small text, but there is basis for one industry feeding the other. I think selling a 4K console and a 4K tv is more likely than abusing a bad graphic design trend though

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I've got a 4k TV and a 4k console. There's no screen large enough that an icon being 1/720th the size of the viewable area isn't going to be tiny as hell.

Video games have bad graphic design elements without it being a long con.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
That brought down Xenoblade Chronicles X for me. Loved the game, enjoyed the comat and the ridiculous story, couldn't read a single damned thing. Any time I played it I ended up sitting two feet from a 55" TV just to be able to see stats and story, and that sucked.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Weird thing is, I salvaged an old CRT for streaming old TV shows. They just feel right that way.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I remember playing Dynasty Warriors...5? On the 360 with a friend on a large SDTV. After about half an hour it'd give me a huge splitting headache. The day after I bought a ps3 and mgs4 (which also gave me a huge headache) I got a 50" plasma that I still use to this day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I played Heavy Rain on an SDTV and accidentally shot a dude in the face because I misread the button prompt.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I played Heavy Rain on an SDTV and accidentally shot a dude in the face because I misread the button prompt.

You have a promising career on the police force

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

You have a promising career on the police force

It's been forever since I played that game but I think the dude was a white Christian. No way would he still be on the force for that one

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

He was poor though, so that overrides everything regardless.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
In Assassin's Creed 2, there were two lengthy - but optional - sets of missions added through DLC. They were a collection of assassination and fetch quests that fleshed out chunks of story and gave you something to do after the main game. Boring, but optional.

In the Ezio Collection these are woven into the main story, and mandatory to complete. It really slows down the end of the story.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think people felt the exact same way about The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Story wise it takes place during the main game, and the Director's Cut inserts it instead of making it a separate piece of content. A big part of the DLC is that you get stripped of your weapons and augmentations at the start, and they are not handed back to you until the very end.

eddoghetto
Mar 27, 2007
612 Wharf Avenue

spit on my clit posted:

To be more specific, what I'm going to say relates to the hard mode version of the boss

It's a two-headed dragon, both on the right side of the map. The top one shoots exploding bubbles at you while the other spits out a giant fire beam for about five seconds. Unless you have the sorcerer (Must have his ice spell equipped), or have Zangetsu fully powered up, I see no way to not take damage from the first form of the boss. The second form of the boss has you on a platform, and beneath the platform is a giant row of chompers that pop up in a wave after the giant dragon head is done blowing out a giant beam of fire (hard mode beam requires you to be crouching to avoid damage), now unless you're at the back of this platform, you'll need to immediately jump the moment he stops firing the beam, or else you will be hit. If you're at the back of the platform, good luck having enough time to get to the tiny platform where you can damage the head before he fires his beam again. The only thing I've done that works is using the freezing spell to stop him while I get over to him, and since the run I'm doing doesn't have him, I don't know what I could do to defeat this boss.

Can't you destroy the bubbles before they hit you? Pretty sure you can duck under the fire beam too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Safeword posted:

In Assassin's Creed 2, there were two lengthy - but optional - sets of missions added through DLC. They were a collection of assassination and fetch quests that fleshed out chunks of story and gave you something to do after the main game. Boring, but optional.

In the Ezio Collection these are woven into the main story, and mandatory to complete. It really slows down the end of the story.
That was already a thing in the PC version of AC2 and yeah, it absolutely destroyed the pacing.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think people felt the exact same way about The Missing Link DLC for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Story wise it takes place during the main game, and the Director's Cut inserts it instead of making it a separate piece of content. A big part of the DLC is that you get stripped of your weapons and augmentations at the start, and they are not handed back to you until the very end.

I honestly thought that integrating the missing link into the main campaign of DE:HR was a good idea since the latter parts of the game feel chopped up and rushed (listening to the commentary they had to cut a lot of stuff they wanted to do) and the missing link goes a long way to counteract that. It helps that, as with a lot of DLC, the experience making the main game allowed the team to sharpen up the mechanics and level design a lot, it's also very visually nice imo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

eddoghetto posted:

Can't you destroy the bubbles before they hit you? Pretty sure you can duck under the fire beam too.

Yes, and they explode. I've found its better to jump over the bubbles rather than burst them. The fire beam on what, the second form? Yeah you can duck under that, but if you're at the front and don't jump the moment the beam starts to fade, you'll get chomped by the teeth. if you're at the back, you'll have more time to jump over, but it takes more time to get back over to the rear end in a top hat's face so you can start slapping it, and I've found I can only get one or two hits in before having to retreat.

edit: The challenges in the new Splatoon dlc are really, really bad, but the Girl Power station takes the cake. Maybe if the specials you can use throughout healed the orb much more, it wouldn't be garbage. But, between the cheating AI and hordes of octolings on the map, there's just no point in bothering.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Jun 17, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Doc Morbid posted:

That was already a thing in the PC version of AC2 and yeah, it absolutely destroyed the pacing.

That loving boat level.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BiggerBoat posted:

For me it was God of War 3. I made sure not to buy a Sony TV. Speaking of, Sony's been really wearing on me as of late. It might just be coincidence but I find it really frustrating that so many multi-platform games that Sony specifically has high stakes in suddenly find their PC ports delayed by hilariously long times. Oh well, just a few more months to go before the PC release of Monster Hunter World! :shepface:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

For me it was God of War 3. I made sure not to buy a Sony TV. Speaking of, Sony's been really wearing on me as of late. It might just be coincidence but I find it really frustrating that so many multi-platform games that Sony specifically has high stakes in suddenly find their PC ports delayed by hilariously long times. Oh well, just a few more months to go before the PC release of Monster Hunter World! :shepface:

:tinfoil:

Why would they delay the PC port but not the Xbone port?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Capcom have a history of making weird decisions with seemingly no rational explanation

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Convex posted:

Capcom have a history of making weird decisions with seemingly no rational explanation

Like NOT MAKING DRAGON'S DOGMA 2 :argh:

Or releasing the Dragma MMO to the west :argh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

:tinfoil:

Why would they delay the PC port but not the Xbone port?

I'm assuming Microsoft money. But I could also be insane and paranoid.

Leal posted:

Or releasing the Dragma MMO to the west :argh:
They even teased people with maybe doing either of those things when the PC port released. :negative:

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I've been playing through Borderlands 2, after playing through the first one many times years and years ago. I overall enjoy playing the game and everything, but the whole thing is just surrounded by stuff bringing it down:

- Having to wait a few levels before you actually start spending skills is a really strange decision, particularly considering how dry the game is already when you don't have many points to invest or that many weapon options. Borderlands 1 had the same problem so I don't know why they didn't seem to learn from it.

- There really is too much junk in the game. For instance I don't think I've ever seen a Bandit manufactured pistol that's been even remotely worth using; they always look neat in theory but they just never seem to be practical at all. Every weapon class seems to have one manufacturer who is the best overall and at least one that winds up being a total turkey. I might be wrong on that though, I haven't finished the game yet. Either way, actually getting good, practical stuff seems to be way too infrequent.

- They seem to have actively reduced the number of rare items that you find over the first game. Pretty much every piece of gear I find is white or green, with the occasional blue to shake things up I guess. I don't remember exactly swimming in legendary weapons in the first game, but it seems rare to actually find something rewarding when opening a chest or killing something really dangerous.

- They still have arena missions. They were the most tedious garbage in the first game and the one I've done seems to be actually worse somehow. It's mystifying.

- The game has the same problem as the first in that it's got some serious level gating going on with regards to how strong enemies might be in a certain area. If an enemy is even a few levels higher than me, it seems like I do almost nothing to them while they can kill me in a few shots, I'm guessing like in the first game there is some damage scaling that goes on in the background depending on your level, or something. I don't particularly understand this decision; it's not like you'd be able to get overpowered loot in an area you're not supposed to go yet (since you're likely not going to be hitting the required level) and the areas usually don't have valid quests until you're supposed to go to them anyway, so I don't really get the point of gating them like they do. I just kind of want to explore and see other areas, go off-script a bit, preferably without being punished as harshly as I am.

- The writing is pretty much entirely garbage and most of the humor either hasn't aged well at all, or was never particularly funny to begin with. When the game tries to go for humor, it's about as subtle as a sledgehammer; I can't even begin to count the times where someone will say something and then say "oh that was a joke" or something to that effect. It's honestly just kind of draining. On the other hand, when the story tries to have any gravitas at all, it falls hilariously flat because so many of the characters are either non-characters or so unlikable that it's hard to care about what happens to them. I kinda like how the original characters from the first game are portrayed, all being basically terrible people, but outside of them it's just a black hole of charisma.

- The game is also filled with some of the weirdest tonal whiplash I've ever seen in just about any piece of media. I just went from a mission that ended with an audiolog of a kid watching her parents die (or something) and the mission after that ended in someone committing suicide due to terrible poetry, which was played for laughs. It was seriously awkward and just didn't really work at all. Handsome Jack is particularly bad for this too, they seem to want to portray him as a character as a sort of whimsical, ruthless psychopath, but his lines are so stupid and he just seems so passive and ineffectual that I've begun to actively tune out whenever he drops in with some badly formed threats on the communicator.

- This is kind of a weird one, but the game goes out of its way to be woke as possible and I don't really have a problem with that, outside of it being a bit hamhanded at times. What's odd about it is that for all of the good points the game tries to make, it makes all of the less good things like all of the "midget" enemies, the various gay and incest jokes and so on stick out like a sore thumb. I dunno if it's just a case of it being a product of it's time and maybe if I played it in 2012 I'd never notice. It just weirds me out when it happens.

Honestly if it wasn't for the character building aspects and overall gameplay loop I probably would have bailed hours ago. It seems like a one step forward, two steps back situation compared to the first game. I'm still enjoying it all the same.

That being said, I've also been told that after a certain point (after the first playthrough maybe?) it becomes incredibly obnoxious and unfun to actually play. Is that the case?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Basically, enemy health and damage increases every level at a rate faster than your own but mildly enough in a given playthrough you wont really notice. If you do anything past a single playthrough, like god forbid ultimate vault hunter mode, you will find out how rapidly agonizing that is when enemies continue getting more powerful and you no longer do.

Rares were made turly rare (like sub 1% for boss drops) and that makes sense and is fun for a singleplayer game where equipment even three levels behind is trash

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Barudak posted:

Rares were made turly rare (like sub 1% for boss drops) and that makes sense and is fun for a singleplayer game where equipment even three levels behind is trash

Yeesh, that explains a lot. I genuinely don't know where a lot of the design decisions for the game came from, it's like they actively made the dumbest and grindiest choices they could.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've played through Borderlands 2 twice and in both playthroughs the only time I ever saw the energy weapon class is in the early tutorial mission that introduces them.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Get the Psycho DLC and never stop buzzsaw-axing your way through everyone. You don't need guns much when ~75% of your time is spent as a hulked out melee monster.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I've played through Borderlands 2 twice and in both playthroughs the only time I ever saw the energy weapon class is in the early tutorial mission that introduces them.

I think I got one once from the big gun vault after the bunker, every single other time I found them it was in that fancy gold chest that's in the middle of sanctuary that you mostly only get the keys for from time limited codes from gearboxes shift thingy, something that I still have no idea if it does anything other than give you stuff for the borderlands game. I feel like the game might have been designed a little around the idea of people opening that box a lot but I only even went up to level 30 so I dunno if i'm one to talk on that.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Get the Psycho DLC and never stop buzzsaw-axing your way through everyone. You don't need guns much when ~75% of your time is spent as a hulked out melee monster.

This was fun yeah but the idea of a loot shooter where you don't shoot the loot you find is not actually that appealing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Leal posted:

Play Monster Hunter World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Relevant Tangent posted:

And then they make enemies that happily fly away from you constantly and it goes back to being poo poo.