Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've been worried for literal years that they'd just call it "United States Smash". That extra little word "of" just adds so much and I'm not sure how to phrase why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I really can't understand why you would be concerned about that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

United States of Smash is 50 States of Freedom (and associated territories).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I laughed. I cried. I knew exactly what to expect and it delivered sevenfold. I loving love this anime, man.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I only just realized that the only reason that All For One was able to fight here was probably because he stole Ragdoll's quirk. Dude has no eyes!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, he probably does. They're just covered in scar tissue.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kind of interesting to think about: I wonder how well Endeavor might have done if he had had to go one-on-one with AFO here. AFO seemed genuinely wary of his firebolts, and the shockwaves didn't seem to do much more than knock him around.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Holy gently caress how horrifying his face is when you get a good look at it. How the gently caress did All Might do that seriously. Edit: Also All for One was just playing around with them basically, he likely could've just constantly sent blasts at endeavor or use his massive pool of quirks to take care of him. Dude probably has something that can stop fire, water or any other quirk.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Spiritus Nox posted:

Kind of interesting to think about : I wonder how well Endeavor might have done if he had had to go one-on-one with AFO here. AFO seemed genuinely wary of his firebolts, and the shockwaves didn't seem to do much more than knock him around.
It seemed more like he was just casually blasting away Endeavor's attacks.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah remember that Jeanist is number four hero to Endeavor's second. All Might and All For One are just magnitudes more powerful than anyone else, to the point it's not even a contest.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah remember that Jeanist is number four hero to Endeavor's second. All Might and All For One are just magnitudes more powerful than anyone else, to the point it's not even a contest.

Endeavor even said the gap between them was massive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ChaseSP posted:

Holy gently caress how horrifying his face is when you get a good look at it. How the gently caress did All Might do that seriously. Edit: Also All for One was just playing around with them basically, he likely could've just constantly sent blasts at endeavor or use his massive pool of quirks to take care of him. Dude probably has something that can stop fire, water or any other quirk.

I assume he knocked most of the top of his head off. And as a result there was nothing left up top when it healed over.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ChaseSP posted:

Well, with regards to his face, remember that All Might genuinely thought that All For One was dead when the fight was done.

I imagine it was caved in like a kicked Jack-o-Lantern.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i wonder how the fire villian (dabi?) stacks up to endeavor

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

^^^ yes exaclty

ChaseSP posted:

Holy gently caress how horrifying his face is when you get a good look at it. How the gently caress did All Might do that seriously.

Its not shown super clearly, but it looks like he took off the upper half of his head.

and also right arm now that I look closely at it? Man allmight went to town-- Bad enough to give AfO nightmares about it even.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ChaseSP posted:

All Might legit wanted to kill All For One, their fight was not a fight that was going to lead in jail time. It was also so brutal that, again, as AFO describes, All Might was charging him in a rage with his intestines dragging across the ground. Also, that All For One had killed Nana at this point. So All Might was confronting the man who murdered his mentor, someone he respects so deeply and fully, who gave him the chance to be a Hero.

ninjewtsu posted:

i wonder how the fire villian (dabi?) stacks up to endeavor

He doesn't. Endeavor deserves his position as No.2 for as much of a lovely human being he is. Also I will point out something I really like. When Endeavor is thinking about how being inferior to All Might affected him, he thinks to what he's done to Shoto and his wife. Endeavor does not think he did the right thing with them, he accepts that it was a lovely thing to do.

I feel that's important because there's a lot of manga/stories in which an abusive parent is portrayed as "Doing it for the sake of the child's growth and they became stronger because of that abuse."

But Endeavor knows what he did was for selfish reasons, and knows it wasn't good and seeing All Might in such a weak state just drove deeper into him how much of a poo poo he himself was.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 17, 2018

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My only problem with how the anime handled AFO is that in my head I imagined him being more of an ice cold bastard and not being quite as animated/cackling in his speech. In my head he sounded close to Ron Perlman's Slade/Lich voice and delivered most everything nearly deadpan with kind of an inflection only when he got REALLY emotional- like when he asks All Might "Where's that smile?" He just sounded creepier/scarier to me when I read it originally.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Him being more animated adds to him as a parallel with All Might, I think. I know people in the thread see him as just using Shigaraki for his own means, but I do think he genuinely cares about him, since he said things like "Even if you mess up this time, you can try as many times as you need to get it right."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fabricated posted:

My only problem with how the anime handled AFO is that in my head I imagined him being more of an ice cold bastard and not being quite as animated/cackling in his speech. In my head he sounded close to Ron Perlman's Slade/Lich voice and delivered most everything nearly deadpan with kind of an inflection only when he got REALLY emotional- like when he asks All Might "Where's that smile?" He just sounded creepier/scarier to me when I read it originally.

You might actually like the dub a bit better, he's a bit more restrained and sardonic there.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

En Family Mook posted:

^^^ yes exaclty

Its not shown super clearly, but it looks like he took off the upper half of his head.

and also right arm now that I look closely at it? Man allmight went to town-- Bad enough to give AfO nightmares about it even.

The whole nightmares thing has helped me re-examine just how the first All For One fight was kept a secret and why this one was not.

Up until his fight with All Might, All For One ruled the underworld from the shadows, with the occasional inheritor of One For All popping up to challenge him, I assume. He liked being out of the light and staying a myth. So even when he fought the inheritors, I'm betting he did it in ways and on terms that would make it easier to cover up later--your classic fight in an old quarry or convenient wasteland. It wasn't until All Might almost killed him that I bet he decided to change his MO, what with his nightmares. He clearly decided that this all rose to the level of "I'm not just going to kill you, I'm going to kill the idea of you," as he set out to be this big, mocking dark mirror to the Symbol of Peace. That's why this fight was so obvious while the other one was covered up; All For One no longer desired anonymity because he chose to fight on All Might's terms. The Symbol of Evil doesn't need to hide any more than the Symbol of Peace would.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

And Endeavor's second to All Might's first. And that's with the popularity gap from Endeavor being a massive rear end in a top hat who nobody likes.

No question, Endeavor would lose hard, but from what we see he could probably put up a decent fight before going down. You know, the guy who gets the sarcastic clap and "I'll have to use 12 percent of my power." speeches before eating dirt.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Momomo posted:

Him being more animated adds to him as a parallel with All Might, I think. I know people in the thread see him as just using Shigaraki for his own means, but I do think he genuinely cares about him, since he said things like "Even if you mess up this time, you can try as many times as you need to get it right."
I saw him more as a contrast. All Might is bigger than life and animated as hell and is a willpower/belief over everything kind of person. AFO is cold, calculated, long-lived, very under control, deliberate, etc. All Might genuinely believes his own talk, All For One cynically appropriates it because it works and he has a sick appreciation for the irony of doing so. AFO literally anticipates that All Might will somehow, beyond all doubt, squeeze out some more power even when there's no way he could possibly do so- saying "Ah, you probably only have one swing left in you...but I'm going to prepare for the second or third." AFO is just the kind of dude that doesn't make a single move until he's 100% sure has has everyone in hand and all contingencies prepared for.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 17, 2018

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fabricated posted:

I saw him more as a contrast. All Might is bigger than life and animated as hell and is a willpower/belief over everything kind of person. AFO is cold, calculated, long-lived, very under control, deliberate, etc. All Might genuinely believes his own talk, All For One cynically appropriates it because it works and he has a sick appreciation for the irony of doing so. AFO literally anticipates that All Might will somehow, beyond all doubt, squeeze out some more power even when there's no way he could possibly do so- saying "Ah, you probably only have one swing left in you...but I'm going to prepare for the second or third." AFO is just the kind of dude that doesn't make a single move until he's 100% sure has has everyone in hand and all contingencies prepared for.

This is my view. All For One loves crushing heroes spirits, he loves to break them with their own words and grind them down, when he pointed out the Shigaraki thing, that's why I think he was the one who killed them, because he said "I thought "What would hurt you the most?" " And it was clear that in his mind, the thing that would hurt All Might the most was taking the grandson of his mentor and twisting him to be everything All Might would crush and fight, raising him to despise the things that Nana stood for.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I just noticed that the way All Might saved Gran Torino was the same way he saved Bakugo in the first episode.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Spiritus Nox posted:

You might actually like the dub a bit better, he's a bit more restrained and sardonic there.

It's completely worth watching to hear Chris Sabat deliver the lines in this episode, he does a stellar job. But yes, the dub take on AFO is definitely fairly dour.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

And Endeavor's second to All Might's first. And that's with the popularity gap from Endeavor being a massive rear end in a top hat who nobody likes.

Like this is actually pretty impressive on his end. As it's stated in terms of pure popularity among the Top Ten Heroes in Japan. Endeavor does not even make the top 5. Yet he still made it to number 2 on merit alone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Like this is actually pretty impressive on his end. As it's stated in terms of pure popularity among the Top Ten Heroes in Japan. Endeavor does not even make the top 5. Yet he still made it to number 2 on merit alone.
It's why he's such a strong parallel to Bakugou. Endeavor is not a half-rear end- he trained himself until he nearly dropped dead and killed himself even further to try to surpass All Might while having a pretty powerful quirk and STILL couldn't approach him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

my take is that All for One is just using shigaraki, but he wants a genuine symbol of evil, not one that'll be swayed by a halfassed speech about friendship or something. so he doesn't use brainwashing or mind control or emotional abuse and manipulation, because unlike endeavor All for One is smart enough to know that if he wants the kid to turn out the way he wants him to, he has to be a caring father figure who raises the boy properly.

i think if you told All for One that a different, perfect Symbol of Evil would pop out of thin air if he murdered shigaraki, he'd do it in a heartbeat, because he cares more about creating something that will hurt all might than he cares about shigaraki himself. but treating shigaraki like he's worthless won't turn shigaraki to his side, All for One acts as an actual, caring father figure to shigaraki because that's the best way to achieve his goal.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shere posted:

It's completely worth watching to hear Chris Sabat deliver the lines in this episode, he does a stellar job. But yes, the dub take on AFO is definitely fairly dour.

Yeah, I've been checking in on it for a few episodes now and the dub's actually really solid, last week's flub with Magne aside. All Might, Deku, AFO and Bakugo are all standouts IMO, and I haven't heard a real obvious weakness among the supporting cast yet, which is way more than I can say for most dubs. I still prefer the original cast overall, but the dub cast is doing a fine job.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Maybe All For One was more willing to come out of the shadows, besides to rescue his pet project Shigaraki, because he's seen how powerful Stain became as a martyr to the cause. Even if he doesn't defeat All Might, he can still win in the long run.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Momomo posted:

plus hes clearly aware of the possibility that he might die fighting All Might but its still willing to do it to help Shigaraki. its an interesting relationship for sure

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
honestly I don't think he considered losing to All Might a possibility. He sounded pretty sure that All Might didn't stand a chance until the very end

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDAjKQpfISI

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

If we're being entirely fair, aren't the ranks less about raw power than popularity, media appeal, incidents resolved, etc.? Like how Aizawa is really strong but deliberately stays out of the limelight.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

If we're being entirely fair, aren't the ranks less about raw power than popularity, media appeal, incidents resolved, etc.? Like how Aizawa is really strong but deliberately stays out of the limelight.

they're an aggregate of a bunch of factors, which is why endeavor is #2 despite public opinion of him being rather lukewarm. he's devastatingly powerful (obviously not to the extent of all might) and has good crisis management skills on top of that.

i think the rankings probably most reflect how "at ease" the people around them feel when that hero is nearby. endeavor is hurt by having a crummy personality, but he's so competent that i bet civilians see him on the scene and immediately figure the whole thing is going to be taken care of. if eraserhead shows up instead, it might very well be an even more safe situation than if endeavor shows up, but because eraserhead stays out of the spotlight as much as possible, civilians are just going to feel mildly comforted by the fact that some no name hero is on the scene rather than no one at all, and might continue to panic. so, eraserhead has a much lower ranking.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's also marketability because the hero profession is commercialized.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ChaseSP posted:

Also All for One was just playing around with them basically, he likely could've just constantly sent blasts at endeavor or use his massive pool of quirks to take care of him. Dude probably has something that can stop fire, water or any other quirk.

I'm not so sure. All for One doesn't really seem to hold on to too many quirks, unless they are broadly useful or he's getting them ready for a specific purpose, preferring to gift them out to people. He didn't have a warping quirk till recently, and when he fought All Might, he didn't have a healing quirk. It fits his role as a crime boss who works from the shadows, a quirk isn't a good resource unless it's being used, so it's more valuable in the hands of a subordinate or noumu than just sitting in his collection.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
A question I have about one for all : So when you pass on one for all does that mean you lose the power then or did All Might lose it because he strained too much with his use of it taking a toll on his body?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Diabetic posted:

A question I have about one for all : So when you pass on one for all does that mean you lose the power then or did All Might lose it because he strained too much with his use of it taking a toll on his body?

It was said in the series, after passing One For All, the previous user still has the "embers" of it, a lingering power that has not yet disappeared but that's very limited and quickly fading. All Might loses it here because he used every single bit he had of OFA left in his body and then some, but even without that, it was a matter of time before he lost it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I wonder how long Nana lasted after she gave All Might One For All. It appears she gave it to him in High School like All Might did for Deku, but I do wonder how long they had together before she passed on?