Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

edit:

http://i.imgur.com/IALzjxr.gifv

both from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/yesyesyesyesno

Trabant fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

PostNouveau posted:

This is the dumbest poo poo

It doesn't make sense.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Rotating shift schedules are usually worker/union requested so that everybody gets a fair shot at shift differential and weekends with family.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

zedprime posted:

Rotating shift schedules are usually worker/union requested so that everybody gets a fair shot at shift differential and weekends with family.

I seriously doubt that's a union shop being discussed

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

zedprime posted:

As a professional Union Thug, I can tell you that there isn't a goddamn way anyone would vote for that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FalloutGod posted:

This 100% has to be a tactic to keep turnover high so they don't have people working long enough to get benefits right?

Dr.Smasher posted:

As a professional Union Thug, I can tell you that there isn't a goddamn way anyone would vote for that.

12h shifts permanently is mosdef to cut benefits/training costs.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

I'd been hearing lots of radio ads for a factory in my area, hiring machine operators. The pay and benefits they advertised weren't bad and my temp job was coming to an end, so I was thinking about it, when I happened to meet a guy who already worked there.

He told me the reason they were advertising so heavily was they'd had a job fair at the plant and got ~30 applicants who looked good, until every one of them failed the drug test (a hair test).

He further told me that while the health insurance was indeed quite good, the plant was a terrible place to work because they ran two 12-hour shifts which rotated day/night by week. So you'd work 6AM to 6PM one week and 6PM to 6AM the next week, then repeat.

I don't even

My background is in manufacturing like this, I've recently been looking for work myself and most jobs seem to be going the way of the little kids in Snowpiercer that replace machine parts with their own bodies.

The best offer I've received recently was a nice sounding salary. I figured out why during talking with them. Since salary workers don't qualify for overtime it was mandatory 72 hour weeks and I needed to be "open to a flexible schedule" meaning I might be required to work every day of the week without any days off or beyond my 12 hours a day depending on the daily production situation.

I used to do that kind of poo poo and I don't see why some crippled arthritic workers see it as a point of pride. I worked in a fabrication plant and we went 2 months without a day off and the managers just got pissed off when people complained and lectured everyone on how some other plants in the network haven't had days off in six. they closed down the plant and moved to mexico a year later

Yet whenever you try and complain about the working conditions some ancient grizzled gently caress reconstitutes themselves out of a pile of dust on the floor to tell you how you don't really know what hard work is and 84 hour work weeks are nothing. It's weird to see people develop stockholm syndrome to this kind of poo poo.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 16, 2018

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Thats weird because your linkdin just says "asst crack whore"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

This is dumb. Yes, autopilot is way oversold and over-relied on, but this isn't a Tesla 3 not registering the sudden appearance of a *car* in front of it, this is a Tesla 3 driving into a big balloon with some cardboard wheels. Given the nature of that obstacle, piling into it is probably *safer* than full braking or swerving into an adjacent lane. A state of affairs where the car's software both registered the obstacle, registered that it was insubstantial, and concluded that hitting it was safer than risking either a sudden abrupt stop or a sudden abrupt maneuver into another lane is entirely compatible with everything presented in that video.

:lol: you dumb-rear end motherfucker.

e: One part of the night-driving training at the driving school me and my sister both went to was you driving along a straight bit of road in the dark and then a dude would throw a sack of hack on the road. My sister plowed right through it and when the instructor got all pissy she just replied "it was a bag of hay why would I do anything to avoid it?". She's as dumb as you (and had to take the training a second time which cost a bit of money).

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 16, 2018

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

RIP that guy's collar bone. Oof.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

If it wasn't that pole, it likely would have been a person.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Jerry Cotton posted:

:lol: you dumb-rear end motherfucker.

e: One part of the night-driving training at the driving school me and my sister both went to was you driving along a straight bit of road in the dark and then a dude would throw a sack of hack on the road. My sister plowed right through it and when the instructor got all pissy she just replied "it was a bag of hay why would I do anything to avoid it?". She's as dumb as you (and had to take the training a second time which cost a bit of money).

We're done with this now you hayseed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

We're done with this now you hayseed.

OK Bob. What's the next thing I can feel superior about?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

evil_bunnY posted:

12h shifts permanently is mosdef to cut benefits/training costs.
The base schedule still works out to 40 hours a week :thunk:

Shift schedule has nothing to do with staffing savings on the management side. They want N bodies on the floor 24/7 or 24/5 or 16/7, 16/5, etc and want to pay as much straight time as managable. The health indicator there is overtime rates where they will often lowball N while considering seasonal fluctuations and plan to make it up with mandatory overtime. Sometimes the "seasonal fluctuations" are the majority of the year while they purposefully understaff and what they lose out on overtime rates they make up as you say in benefits and training.

Dr.Smasher posted:

I've worked with four 24/7 union manufacturing facilities that all had their special sauce of rotating shift schedule.

Would it sweeten the deal if you knew there were strings of shift blocks where you could take 48 hours of PTO and get 2 calendar weeks away from work?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I actually saw someone drive off with the nozzle still in the gas hole the other day.
Least they only went 5 feet, and the nozzle popped out and didn't break the hose. Actually stopped and put the nozzle back.

Was a little bit proud that, sure they hosed up, but they stopped and fixed it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Arrath posted:

I wouldn't think so. You've got one or more trees cut to within a good breeze of falling over, even if you're on the "safe"(er) direction where it shouldn't fall towards, while your attention is focused on cutting the next tree.

Also there's a good chance that the trees will end up on top of each other with LOTS of energy stored under their weight which will release like a spring when you start cutting them up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Also there's a good chance that the trees will end up on top of each other with LOTS of energy stored under their weight which will release like a spring when you start cutting them up.

Yeah, kickback is a bitch.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The best offer I've received recently was a nice sounding salary. I figured out why during talking with them. Since salary workers don't qualify for overtime it was mandatory 72 hour weeks and I needed to be "open to a flexible schedule" meaning I might be required to work every day of the week without any days off or beyond my 12 hours a day depending on the daily production situation.

LMAO

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dr.Smasher posted:

Unions don't always let the line employees vote on stuff like that. One of my co-workers significant other is a union worker and at the beginning of this year the union agreed to allow the company to mandate 12 hour shifts doing 10-12 days straight then 2 or 3 off, repeating for probably the rest of the year (no end date given or mandated by the union). Every single employee hates it but they have no choice if they want to keep their jobs. The pay is great of course due to the huge amount of overtime, but it's killing the older guys (and gals presumably) and wrecking their quality of life. To add to the misery, the job itself (railroad work) is often 4-8+ hours from home and they have to drive to that location and live in the company paid (rat trap) hotel during the days they are working. The travel time is not paid and therefore comes out of the already far too small 'off' days on both ends.

I'm not a Union guy, but it wouldn't shock me at all to find out that the union bosses who allowed this to be implemented were paid off by the company and happily stuffed their mattresses with money at the cost of the line workers health.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I don't have enough experience to say that this is a universal thing but it has def occurred to me while working my current job that older workers being unable to keep up with the work might be something that a beancounter might look at as a useful side effect of having that pace.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/IfUctpg.mp4

secure your load how loving hard is this

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Newton? Barely knew 'im!

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

I'm the arm that wanted to keep going.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/IfUctpg.mp4

secure your load how loving hard is this

I’m the break lights that don’t go on.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Good eye. I didn't notice that. He didn't even hook up the trailer properly, did he?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The Locator posted:

Unions don't always let the line employees vote on stuff like that. One of my co-workers significant other is a union worker and at the beginning of this year the union agreed to allow the company to mandate 12 hour shifts doing 10-12 days straight then 2 or 3 off, repeating for probably the rest of the year (no end date given or mandated by the union). Every single employee hates it but they have no choice if they want to keep their jobs. The pay is great of course due to the huge amount of overtime, but it's killing the older guys (and gals presumably) and wrecking their quality of life. To add to the misery, the job itself (railroad work) is often 4-8+ hours from home and they have to drive to that location and live in the company paid (rat trap) hotel during the days they are working. The travel time is not paid and therefore comes out of the already far too small 'off' days on both ends.

I'm not a Union guy, but it wouldn't shock me at all to find out that the union bosses who allowed this to be implemented were paid off by the company and happily stuffed their mattresses with money at the cost of the line workers health.

Ya sometimes the union is just there so the company can go "Well your union agreed to it"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

brake

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

They seem pretty broken to me.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Guy Axlerod posted:

They seem pretty broken to me.

:hfive:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hell Stink posted:

no this is the break light.

Shocked if that dude lived.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

VictorianQueerLit posted:

The best offer I've received recently was a nice sounding salary. ... Since salary workers don't qualify for overtime
In the US there are requirements for overtime exemption beyond 'is on salary', otherwise almost every lovely min-wage job now would be "min-wage X 40/week" salary, 80 hours a week.
So, yea, if you know someone getting hosed like that, tellem to talk to whoever handles wage-theft in their state.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It still has to be at least what the pay would be for minimum wage with overtime for the hours worked afaik

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/marycmccormack/status/1007831286176571394

toasty

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hardhats and shoring is for pussies...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hell Stink posted:

Biking response.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Locator posted:

Hardhats and shoring is for pussies...

This is like somebody's last known photo, isn't it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Locator posted:

To add to the misery, the job itself (railroad work) is often 4-8+ hours from home and they have to drive to that location

Idiots should take the train SMDH.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That flame was jetting out the side like a sealed unit full of pyrophoric chemicals was breached or faulty.

:thunk:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is like somebody's last known photo, isn't it?

Just a normal day on the job in Tijuana.