Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

As a followon to the above reply, may I recommend a few mods:

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/137 -panic system that affects accuracy and occasionally makes a pilot eject (super fun)

Mostly it's a difficulty increase/QoL set, but I am enjoying the hell out of it so far.

This mod is really cool and it gives you another strategy for getting salvageable mechs aside from called shotting legs. It's really cool when you see a pilot punch out and the fact that you can stress your own pilots out and get them to punch out balances it nicely. Guts/Tactics skill helps keep your guys in their cockpit. Also means that enemy Tacticians and Defenders are more likely to stay in a tough fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

So the new version of RogueTech came out and the person running it went off the deep end on a reddit thread — fun/cringy read: https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8r5j6l/roguetech_new_update_is_out_09857/

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
My problem with Roguetech is that it's run by a grog with no sense of balance, so of course they put all the balance issues from TT right back in the game. Including loving DHS in the engine for free. It's like Long War but replace a genuine rationale for game design decisions with Tabletop Battletech cargo culting.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

there's the germ of a good idea in roguetech, but it's not quite there.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How do I tell if a mod I've installed us working if it doesn't necessarily have an immediate and obvious effect?

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone found a mod where you can hire the noble tetatae pilots? :v:

But seriously, could we compile a "recommended mod" list somewhere? That'd be fun, and I don't want to try out *every* goddamn mod that pops out, and total conversion mods right now seem kinda garbage (I did not like RogueTech)

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 15, 2018

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Phrosphor posted:

This mod is really cool and it gives you another strategy for getting salvageable mechs aside from called shotting legs. It's really cool when you see a pilot punch out and the fact that you can stress your own pilots out and get them to punch out balances it nicely. Guts/Tactics skill helps keep your guys in their cockpit. Also means that enemy Tacticians and Defenders are more likely to stay in a tough fight.

We need a Battletech/Close Combat hybrid game asap

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

there's the germ of a good idea in roguetech, but it's not quite there.

Yeah, I played it a few matches and was amazed at how different/advanced/not-quite-there-yet the gameplay was. But then I said to myself, "now what?" and didn't have an answer.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
Question; anyone able to tell me what variable needs changing if I want contracts to grant more reputation as a baseline? I'm trying for a more open-world game and I'd like to be able to rep up with the factions without tanking my cash and my salvage so much.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I notice that Battletech is now nominally installable on Linux. Is a Linux launch around the corner??

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

rt4 posted:

I notice that Battletech is now nominally installable on Linux. Is a Linux launch around the corner??

I think they said it was gonna be part of the first major update to the game so probably.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rocketrobot posted:

Yeah, I played it a few matches and was amazed at how different/advanced/not-quite-there-yet the gameplay was. But then I said to myself, "now what?" and didn't have an answer.

The failure of roguetech makes me want to mash together some other conversion

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

I get that he was going for "complete sandbox." But, a lack of things happening other than straight up mission after unrelated mission made it less interesting than I anticipated.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

rocketrobot posted:

a lack of things happening other than straight up mission after unrelated mission made it less interesting than I anticipated.
This is kind a problem with the basegame though. There are no "garrison this world for 2 months" or "go to this world and destroy the defenders of each of the 5 major settlements". Its all just one off "x wants y's assets on this planet destroyed" 1 day contracts, even if they are total nonsense.

Its just a reminder that this game was the progenitor and the follow up game will probably be a lot better.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is kind a problem with the basegame though. There are no "garrison this world for 2 months" or "go to this world and destroy the defenders of each of the 5 major settlements". Its all just one off "x wants y's assets on this planet destroyed" 1 day contracts, even if they are total nonsense.

Its just a reminder that this game was the progenitor and the follow up game will probably be a lot better.

There's a bit more continuity with the main plot that that. But, I see what you're saying. I am also expecting great leaps with further content releases.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
unrelated to content talk and mods, which Mech is best for slapping on 8 MGs and going full Rambo on heads?

related to mods, the idea of a panic system is so obvious i'm actually shocked it didn't make it in to the base game

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

unrelated to content talk and mods, which Mech is best for slapping on 8 MGs and going full Rambo on heads?

related to mods, the idea of a panic system is so obvious i'm actually shocked it didn't make it in to the base game

I think the most MGs you'll ever get on a mech is 6, which can be mounted on (IIRC) the Firestarter, Grasshopper, and Banshee.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I think this is a kind of issue in itself. No one will make the "perfect mash up" mod pack for anyone else but themselves. Which makes others want to do their own consolidated pack, which floods the mod nexus with endless mod bundles. That's just the nature of the modding scene for games like this.

Anyway, in my own modding pack...

I just put out a WIP AI mod that could use some feedback. All it does is gently caress with the AI behaviors and should be compatible with most other mods, short of Permanent Evasion. But that can be flipped with a single variable if people really want it. What I'm aiming for is an AI that makes better tactical choices. Oddly, all other mod packs with improved AI either use my backer-beta files or are based off of them in some way.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Amechwarrior posted:

I think this is a kind of issue in itself. No one will make the "perfect mash up" mod pack for anyone else but themselves. Which makes others want to do their own consolidated pack, which floods the mod nexus with endless mod bundles. That's just the nature of the modding scene for games like this.

I just put out a WIP AI mod that could use some feedback. All it does is gently caress with the AI behaviors and should be compatible with most other mods, short of Permanent Evasion. But that can be flipped with a single variable if people really want it. What I'm aiming for is an AI that makes better tactical choices. Oddly, all other mod packs with improved AI either use my backer-beta files or are based off of them in some way.

Thats because your backer beta ai modding was baller as hell!

I will chuck this into my game and see what happens.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

fair. what settings need to be twiddled to get a large variety of missions and difficulties available on each world, with a couple of travel contracts? I have

code:
{
		"MaxContractsPerSystem" : 10,
		"ContractRenewalPerWeek" : 2,
		"MaxBreadcrumbsPerSystem" : 2,
		"MissionsForAdditionalBreadcrumb" : 4,
		"DefaultContractRefreshRate" : 7,
}
in a mod folder but it doesn't really work...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

fair. what settings need to be twiddled to get a large variety of missions and difficulties available on each world, with a couple of travel contracts? I have

code:
{
}

While I forget what you need to tweak for variety. I'm pretty sure those settings control nothing but the raw number of missions, and potential travel contracts.

It's still a very, VERY worthwhile change though because it prevents the jerking your chain scenario of taking a travel mission, finding that was the only mission. Repeat, that people have complained of with the default max of 3.

Given even bumping it up only to 6 can cause the mission list to chug the first time it loads up though? I would not be surprised if a contributing factor was not simply "It's more challenging this way! You have to make HARD CHOICES™ about paying for gas money or not when there is gently caress all for work". But also "Aw poo poo, this looks embarrassing if we up the mission count past gently caress all. How low do we have to set it for that to stop?... 3? really? okay sure"

See also: Swapping paint jobs in the mech bay taking as long as repairing and replacing parts on a damaged mech.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 16, 2018

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have a problem when playing modded that the contracts just never load. Oddly enough I don't do anything to the contracts and it just stays forever loading. Ejecting the mod list by verifying files, and reloading the game has it pop up back just fine, and then I save after I generate some contracts and it works again for a while (Maybe until I do a new priority mission? not sure), but every now and then it just goes into a forever loop of never showing contacts.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

code:
{
}

I'm not the guy for simgame mods, but I swear there was one for difficulty spread you could change so you can see a larger range of difficulties. Also, I thought there was something about having to start a new sim game for big edits of the simgameconst to take effect, like they were burnt in to the save at creation or something.

Phrosphor posted:

Thats because your backer beta ai modding was baller as hell!

I will chuck this into my game and see what happens.

Thanks, saw your FTL mod thing pop up on my Youtube and will be following that. I think once the AI adjustments are mature, some missions might just be too hard, but that's kind of a goal. I've rushed through to Weldry and so far most of the enemies are too isolated and weak at the opening difficulties to make any difference. I can't judge the AI if the're dead in one round. Weldry gave them 2-4 rounds to act and my vehicles need even more "Don't enter melee" juice for sure. The snipers on that mission did well, but the allied mech at the end was also too afraid to rush the gate all the enemy snipers had retreated behind. I wish the AI could have some way to judge and value being inside the enemies min. range. The AI also doesn't really take Instability or net loss of Evasion in to consideration when it comes to choosing to reserve or move a unit out of order. Those are some really big omissions we've been exploiting without knowing it (specially with +Stab tech) and I don't think I can fix it with json editing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

It took a little bit of in game time to show up but now I've got a lot of missions clustering around the planet skull rating so that seems to be ok?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
It would be awesome if there was a mod kinda like BTML that would let you pick and choose.

"I want the Inner Sphere Map, RogueTech's weapons, and plenty of travel contracts)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

SirFozzie posted:

It would be awesome if there was a mod kinda like BTML that would let you pick and choose.

"I want the Inner Sphere Map, RogueTech's weapons, and plenty of travel contracts)

I agree and was thinking about that exact thing earlier. I wish more mod makers had a more granular approach. For those packs that just bundle a ton of mods together, getting them to work is hard enough right now. I can't imagine the extra troubles that would come with having to test every possible combination.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Part of the issue is that if you have a mod with mech variants, in order to get them to use any of the special weapons you may have created (as enemies) you have to specifically build the variant around using those new items.

Another issue is the concept of Permanent Evasion, especially on light mechs. If you enable it, it behooves you to create some weapons that ignore some pips of evasion...

etc

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Amechwarrior posted:

I agree and was thinking about that exact thing earlier. I wish more mod makers had a more granular approach. For those packs that just bundle a ton of mods together, getting them to work is hard enough right now. I can't imagine the extra troubles that would come with having to test every possible combination.

You hit it on the nose. If these mods were broken down more it would be easier to create your own personal favorite. We’ll eventually run into the problem of future modpaks having different versions of the same mods and causing problems that way

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

You hit it on the nose. If these mods were broken down more it would be easier to create your own personal favorite. We’ll eventually run into the problem of future modpaks having different versions of the same mods and causing problems that way

at least the modtek format encourages versioning in the mod.json (lol)

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Hopefully someone with more application development skill than me comes along and develops a mod tracker tool to prevent that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The World of Warships and Tanks modpack imstallers are good, you click through a wizard selecting the mods you want and it down loads them for you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Aramoro posted:

The World of Warships and Tanks modpack imstallers are good, you click through a wizard selecting the mods you want and it down loads them for you.

Most of them also remember which mods you had installed previously, too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So I'm at the last (?) story mission, where they tell you you're gonna need 2 full lances. I've had 5 total pilots the entire game so far. They're all maxed with stats, and now I gotta hire 3 more randos and train them up too? drat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

So I'm at the last (?) story mission, where they tell you you're gonna need 2 full lances. I've had 5 total pilots the entire game so far. They're all maxed with stats, and now I gotta hire 3 more randos and train them up too? drat.

Nah, if you pilots make it through the first mission ok you can use them again, but if they get injured, they'll have to sit out.

You can even reuse the same mechs IIRC, but they'll only get armor repairs and ammo refills.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nah, if you pilots make it through the first mission ok you can use them again, but if they get injured, they'll have to sit out.

You can even reuse the same mechs IIRC, but they'll only get armor repairs and ammo refills.

Oh, whew, that's good. I've got cockpit mods in most of my mechs by now so we'll see.

RE: exploring, there are a ton of planets in different sectors that I've never bothered going to, and never came up in the story. Some of them are actually restricted, too, so I can't even travel to them. What's up with that? Is there any point to travelling to the other side of the galaxy for work?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Oh, whew, that's good. I've got cockpit mods in most of my mechs by now so we'll see.

RE: exploring, there are a ton of planets in different sectors that I've never bothered going to, and never came up in the story. Some of them are actually restricted, too, so I can't even travel to them. What's up with that? Is there any point to travelling to the other side of the galaxy for work?

finish the game

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

finish the game

On that note, I see the Combine and the Lyrans offering missions but because all missions are now at high difficulty I don’t have enough rep with them to actually take missions. Anyone know if this is just de facto locked out if you don’t go mess around there before the end of the campaign or if there are occasional contract spawns that let you get your foot in the door?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

LeschNyhan posted:

On that note, I see the Combine and the Lyrans offering missions but because all missions are now at high difficulty I don’t have enough rep with them to actually take missions. Anyone know if this is just de facto locked out if you don’t go mess around there before the end of the campaign or if there are occasional contract spawns that let you get your foot in the door?

You can try low difficulty planets.

There's also a bug that lets you ignore reputation restrictions: if there's a travel contract that's restricted, you can go on the star map, select traveling to the contract's destination, review the available travel contracts when it prompts you, and the travel contract will be selectable for negotiation.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Huh, feels like that could be a feature.

“We’re not so sure about you guys but since you footed the travel bill and you’re here we might as well.”

Or make travel cost a negotiable element as well; I’d happily take another salvage bump over the 30k single jump fee in most instances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Quick note to the finalists from the launch tourney, I know things fell apart a little at the end but I would love to wrap things up. The thread is still active and we have one of our semi finals already completed. If you are still interested let me know and we can try and finish things off, otherwise. I am going to close things down at the end of the week and award prizes based on the results submitted so far.