Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Spiderdrake posted:

He seems entirely like a sideboard card for a different Standard format. That's not a bad thing, I guess.

But then, yeah, why not Karn?

Speaking of Karn I think it's been a little overrated... It's seeing much less play. I played a PPTQ today. 28ish players or so and didn't see one Karn either played against me or at any other table all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

'Cause the bar is so high, and/or because the deck sucks?

The bar is like, a little below medium but it's still not good enough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

The bar is like, a little below medium but it's still not good enough.

Planeswalkers aren't good in legacy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

Too fast/explosive a format?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Mostly because they are 4-5 mana sorceries...

On another note i really think the new Bolas is going to be good in Standard. Grixis was a good deck in a very recent standard format and it's floor is a 4 mana two for 1.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 17, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

JtMS, LotV, and Lilliana the Last Hope all exist and are played

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Hellsau posted:

The card text always wins, hence why Gleemox is banned.

Except for that one time it wasn't. :lol:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Daze.

mcmagic posted:

Unless you're accelerating them out. Like say if there were a 1/2 ruining the format that allowed you to do so.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I look forward to when Deathrite Shaman finally gets the axe in 2020 and then everyone is calling for Noble Hierarch's ban.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Speaking of Karn I think it's been a little overrated... It's seeing much less play. I played a PPTQ today. 28ish players or so and didn't see one Karn either played against me or at any other table all day.

Price reflects that too. Karn used to be $50-60, and now you can snag him at like $33 a pop on TCGplayer right this moment.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Daze.

Unless you're accelerating them out. Like say if there were a 1/2 ruining the format that allowed you to do so.

That 1/2 is in fact the legacy planeswalker.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

I look forward to when Deathrite Shaman finally gets the axe in 2020 and then everyone is calling for Noble Hierarch's ban.

When Noble Hierarch makes racing impossible while also ramping and only costing 1 mana, I'll be all for that ban.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think we can all agree on this: Ban Paul Rietzel.

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it
On the Affinity front, I've had much more success with Antiquities War vs. Karn. Turns out paying 4 for a land to hand isn't ever impactful, otherwise it's just a much worse master.

Antiquities is a difficult to remove T3 clock that produces faster value.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Star Man posted:

I think we can all agree on this: Ban Paul Rietzel.

This might be the 3rd worst Magic-related opinion I've ever seen

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe he was hoping it'd get Rietzel to do more coverage?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

He's good, there's just no deck for him. There's no deck to prey on R/B aggro that doesn't just fold to U/W, so everyone has cut most of their interaction and it's pretty much endless aggro decks vs control. We saw the same thing with Hazoret and The Scarab God when they were first released. They couldn't find homes and then they exploded. I don't expect the core set to change much, but we could see a chainwhirler ban, and even if we don't, Ravnica should completely shake things up with rotation. Kaladesh rotating will shake things up tremendously considering what a powerhouse block that was, even post bannings.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Maybe he was hoping it'd get Rietzel to do more coverage?

I was going to make an edit to say "unless it means he'll be forced to do more coverage" but :effort:

Edit: So now I made this post instead which was even more effort. I'm sure I won't learn a lesson from this.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
From reddit. A person said they found these posters at a mall of what looks like new art for potential future walkers. Ral Zarek, Teferi, Karn (on Vryn???)

https://m.imgur.com/a/wV4MMvS

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tainen posted:

From reddit. A person said they found these posters at a mall of what looks like new art for potential future walkers. Ral Zarek, Teferi, Karn (on Vryn???)

https://m.imgur.com/a/wV4MMvS

Just loving lol at that phone picture quality in TYOOL 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Despite day 1 being poo poo gp Vegas was a blast. Modern is fun and matches were really intense both days.

Outside the top 8, prize support for such a big tournament are poo poo. Extreme poo poo. It’s not until you are playing for a chance at a 250$ or better that you get a grip on how bad the rake is. It’s a little embarrassing. Thousands of people and the prize support is what again? Yikes

The folks thirsty for pro points and the like make the last rounds awkward as well for so many reasons.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Sitting in a store in Osaka about to draft in Japanese while only speaking <50 words of Japanese. Wish me luck goons!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Flea Bargain posted:

Sitting in a store in Osaka about to draft in Japanese while only speaking <50 words of Japanese. Wish me luck goons!

I drafted a Japanese box of EMA with 7 other people and my Japanese consists of the numbers 1-4, thank you, divine wind, and goodbye, and I'm pretty sure I knew more Japanese than anyone else at the table. You'll be fine.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Flea Bargain posted:

Cool, is it at Hareuya or Big Magic?

Drafting in a language you don't know isn't that hard, I think I've drafted more in Chinese than English by now. I've you've got internet then there shouldn't be a problem.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Went 2-1 (including a bye), managed to bubble at Standard Showdown tonight with my GW Midrange deck. A guy showed up late to push us to 9 people, was still only three rounds, guess tiebreakers hosed me.

Gonna take a RB Artifact deck I brewed up to the Store Championship next week.

x4 Heart of Kiran
x4 Scrapheap Scrounger
x4 Goblin Chainwhirler
x3 Pia Nalaar
x3 Traxos
x4 Hazoret
x2 Rekindling Phoenix
x3 Walking Ballista

x1 Cut // Ribbons
x3 Abrade
x3 Unlicensed Disintegration

x3 Karn

x4 Spire of Industry
x4 Dragonskull Summit
x4 Canyon Slough
x2 Aether Hub
x9 Mountain

SB
x3 Duress
x4 Magma Spray
x3 Vraska’s Command
x3 Sweltering Suns
x1 Rekindling Phoenix
x1 Swamp

Kinda excited about this one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AnEdgelord posted:

I think you are overstating how restrictive the minus is as there are plenty of decks that would be perfectly fine working within this restriction (like a theoretical Abzan Constrictor), but I see your point about the plus. It feels like something that wants to be slotted into an existing deck rather than something you build around if its going to be played at all.

I mean, the fact it costs 4 in a deck that apparently wants nothing more than 2's is awkward as it is. It's equally as weird that it pairs so naturally with History of Benalia but the minus doesn't do anything with that deck. (I love History of Benalia, by the way)

It's the White Weeniest Planeswalker of all time.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I'm glad to see that Krark Clan Ironworks won a GP, largely on the back of no one except its pilot knowing what the gently caress is happening. :allears:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm glad to see that Krark Clan Ironworks won a GP, largely on the back of no one except its pilot knowing what the gently caress is happening. :allears:

He's won two straight.

If Nass (or Pardee or whichever CFB people play it) keep winning with it they will get rid of it, even if it doesn't delay games like the original Eggs deck did. Or else Mardu/Jeskai are going to need to pack Stony Silence again.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

GoutPatrol posted:

Cool, is it at Hareuya or Big Magic?

Drafting in a language you don't know isn't that hard, I think I've drafted more in Chinese than English by now. I've you've got internet then there shouldn't be a problem.

It was at big magic, but it ended up not firing :-(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cernunnos posted:

Except for that one time it wasn't. :lol:

it was definitely banned no matter what MTGO told us

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

You're allowed to play cards that have been reprinted in the current standard block if you have the old versions, right? I did a draft for dominaria recently and came away with a tefiri planeswalker, a tatyova benthing druid, lich's mastery, precognition field etc. Was thinking of building a white/green deck with a dash of blue to use the planeswalker and druid thing since this is what won the draft for me by filling out the deck with whatever trash cards I have in this box of cards I haven't looked at for 3 years.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

ilmucche posted:

You're allowed to play cards that have been reprinted in the current standard block if you have the old versions, right? I did a draft for dominaria recently and came away with a tefiri planeswalker, a tatyova benthing druid, lich's mastery, precognition field etc. Was thinking of building a white/green deck with a dash of blue to use the planeswalker and druid thing since this is what won the draft for me by filling out the deck with whatever trash cards I have in this box of cards I haven't looked at for 3 years.

Yeah, any printing is legal as long as the card is in a standard legal set.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

MrBling posted:

Yeah, any printing is legal as long as the card is in a standard legal set.

Any ways I can cheaply improve this? I've bashed it together with my draft cards and a few cards I've had kicking around. I don't know if evolving wilds are any good? I'm not sure it's worth having blue in, but the planeswalker and tatyova cards were really useful.

4 Llanowar Elves
3 Borderland Ranger
2 Grow From the ashes
2 Untamed Kavu
1 Abundant Growth
1 sporecrown thallis
2 yavimaya sapherd
2 Healing Grace
2 Gideon's Reproach
4 Pacifism
1 Danitha Capashen
1 On Serra's Wings
2 Fog Bank
1 Precognition Field
4 Divination
1 Shanna, Sisay's Legacy
1 Teferi, hero of dominaria
1 Tatyova, benthic druid
1 Unexpected Results
1 Simic Guildgate
1 Gilded Lotus
11 forest
8 Plains
3 Islands

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Anyone know when the beta draft stream is going live?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

He's won two straight.

If Nass (or Pardee or whichever CFB people play it) keep winning with it they will get rid of it, even if it doesn't delay games like the original Eggs deck did. Or else Mardu/Jeskai are going to need to pack Stony Silence again.

They should just ban Ancient Stirrings if it gets to that point IMO. It hoses Lantern and Tron too which are decks that people love to hate, without killing the decks outright. I see it as a Ponder equivalent for decks with a lot of colorless cards and that card has been banned for quite a while.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Idk how people ever justified cutting stony silence from their board in modern.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Flea Bargain posted:

It was at big magic, but it ended up not firing :-(

I don't know if Big Magic is better in other cities than Nagoya but I'd recommend never drafting there. First of all they are super anal about 8 person pods to the point where they will just send random people home if they don't have the right numbers. You'd think this means they are super sticklers for the rules, but actually they might just randomly decide rounds will only be 30 minutes long today and when time is called they will just assign both players a draw rather than do 5 turns. Finally, instead of prizes they do rare redrafting (I'm so sorry for derailing the thread for the next 3 pages, but people needed to be warned). Oh and also you have to turn in your uncommons and they randomly hand them out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

teddust posted:

I don't know if Big Magic is better in other cities than Nagoya but I'd recommend never drafting there. First of all they are super anal about 8 person pods to the point where they will just send random people home if they don't have the right numbers. You'd think this means they are super sticklers for the rules, but actually they might just randomly decide rounds will only be 30 minutes long today and when time is called they will just assign both players a draw rather than do 5 turns. Finally, instead of prizes they do rare redrafting (I'm so sorry for derailing the thread for the next 3 pages, but people needed to be warned). Oh and also you have to turn in your uncommons and they randomly hand them out.

Ah, the classic “you’re paying for an experience, not for product” style. Noice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's going to be pretty funny if this stupid deck that no one knows how to play against and only 1 guy can win with ends up getting Mox Opal banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ilmucche posted:

Any ways I can cheaply improve this? I've bashed it together with my draft cards and a few cards I've had kicking around. I don't know if evolving wilds are any good? I'm not sure it's worth having blue in, but the planeswalker and tatyova cards were really useful.

4 Llanowar Elves
3 Borderland Ranger
2 Grow From the ashes
2 Untamed Kavu
1 Abundant Growth
1 sporecrown thallis
2 yavimaya sapherd
2 Healing Grace
2 Gideon's Reproach
4 Pacifism
1 Danitha Capashen
1 On Serra's Wings
2 Fog Bank
1 Precognition Field
4 Divination
1 Shanna, Sisay's Legacy
1 Teferi, hero of dominaria
1 Tatyova, benthic druid
1 Unexpected Results
1 Simic Guildgate
1 Gilded Lotus
11 forest
8 Plains
3 Islands

You have a bunch of cards in there that aren’t standard legal.

Standard is currently any cards that were printed in the sets Kaladesh, Aether Revolt, Amonkhet, Hour of Devastation, Ixalan, Rivals of Ixalan or Dominaria. You can use any card from those sets or any printing of a card that appears in one of those sets. E.g. you can use your Magic 2012 version of Llanowar Elves or you Battle For Zendikar printing of Gideon’s Reproach, but you can’t use borderland Ranger since it wasn’t printed in any of the above-mentioned sets.

They’ve seemingly gone out of their way to make standard legality more confusing lately — there’s supplementary products like the Explorers of Ixalan boxed game thing which sound like they’re legal ( Ixalan was just the last block! ) but are not, and they had the Planeswalker promo decks which include cards that only appear in those decks but that they’ve made a special exception for by saying those cards are technically part of whatever set the decks came out alongside.

When in doubt, look up a card at gatherer.wizards.com and check the “sets and legality” tab.

There’s also a few cards currently banned in standard. Smuggler’s Copter, Aetherworks Marvel, Ramunap Ruins, Felidar Guardian, Rampaging Ferocidon, Attune With Aether and Rogue Refiner.