Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Coiler121 posted:

Do you think that the super-grindiness of this and Uranium was deliberate, unintended, or something in between?

Likely intended. It's an easy way to artificially increase playtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

iospace posted:

Likely intended. It's an easy way to artificially increase playtime.

pretty much, like us, they grew up in the era where RPGs would brag about having a 100+ hours of playtime, when in reality it's either 25-50 hours of actual content, with the rest being optional busy work, or grinding to get to the actual goods. Some people still hadn't caught on that a long playtime isn't necessarily a good thing.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Phew, caught up with this mess, good to see someone picked up the mantle after the previous Reborn LP died.

Speaking of the grind, this makes me wonder - the game is at it's 17th episode, which means that it's been patched a lot of times now. Did they ever break save compatibility and people had to play the game from scratch or do they let you use your old save after a patch?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kikas posted:

Speaking of the grind, this makes me wonder - the game is at it's 17th episode, which means that it's been patched a lot of times now. Did they ever break save compatibility and people had to play the game from scratch or do they let you use your old save after a patch?

Look within your heart. You already know the answer.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Materant posted:

Look within your heart. You already know the answer.

Wow. EVERY update? This reminds me of Major/Minor more and more.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Kikas posted:

Wow. EVERY update? This reminds me of Major/Minor more and more.

I mean, I'm speaking as someone with no experience with this project whatsoever. But whenever you roll out updates that change the basic structure of a game, generally one of the primary things you want to do to avoid version conflict is to require you to start over. It's why one of the primary mantras of alpha and beta-stage games is "don't get attached to your save data".

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Kikas posted:

Phew, caught up with this mess, good to see someone picked up the mantle after the previous Reborn LP died.

Actually my understanding is that you can use save data from older versions, and in fact doing so is the only way to access some things, like higher levels of the department store that require more stickers than is available to someone who starts on the current update, or pokemon that have been removed and not re-added.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

With RPG maker, it's much more common for saves to keep working. You can 100% change the map the person last saved in and it will load fine. Only straight up deleting it will cause an error.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Eopia posted:

Actually my understanding is that you can use save data from older versions, and in fact doing so is the only way to access some things, like higher levels of the department store that require more stickers than is available to someone who starts on the current update, or pokemon that have been removed and not re-added.

So to get a Ghastly you need to be a legacy player?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

In an earlier version, or so I've heard, the field notes didn't exist and you had to surmize what fields actually did from what Ame says and observation and experimentation.

So when you can't actually observe before this because corrosive field doesn't show up? I can see why they added the notes. Ame doesn't even mention how it boosts Mud Shot or Thousand Arrows.

Apparently Pokemon obeying me is an actual scientific and/or magical function of the badges, unless Pokemon just don't actually respect Corey any.

There are tubes. Pressing the button makes the whatever a different color on that tube and the adjacent ones.

By the (empty and always open) arena being lined with blue, this is completely and utterly wrong.

They need to be red for this door to open.

"But I see you don't care. Not that I'm surprised. This world is void of care. Raven, correct. I understand you've met my daughter, Heather. She's an unruly child.

why wont my ten year old daughter understand that my edgy aggressive nihilism is correct, man

"Hope is weakness."

if you loudly and angrily proclaim you don't care constantly you're actually really woke

"The sooner one gets used to the idea that life is a nightmare and nothing less, the better off one will be. I've simply raised her keeping that in mind. Do you truly disagree? I'll return to the arena. There, I will show you misery."

In the Alternate Reality where we found all five cops in time, Corey is hiding in the same spot, and the giant vials of whatever are actually full of poison and they attack everyone but the protagonist, apparently. We also find the notes for Corrosive Mist, the terrain he uses in that version of events.

"Wake up. Your hopes... Your dreams... Futile. I will show you the cruelty of what is real."

No no make it more obvious you just recolored Koga.

Except this, what is this

Once again, my master plan is to just ignore the field because gently caress it. I need a loving Shaymin to change it longer than 5 turns.

Amethyst is way too big a fan of Foucs Sashes on leads that set something.

Luckily, the AI loves its potions on 1 HP Pokemon so I get the chance to spin away the spikes.

Apparently I pissed Corey off so much he immediately switched over to his ace, Crobat.

Despite being perpetually doubled, Venoshock doesn't really do much.

Axiom 2: if it can learn Sucker Punch, it has Sucker Punch.

I had really, really bad luck with Magnitude this battle. The highest I got was 7, and the four others are 5 and 6.

The hell does that mean.

The Telluric Seed effect here applies Baleful Bunker. The most annoying seeds are those that have a Protect variant, because you really can't do much about the consumable held item of a thing about to show up.

Venoshock and Mareanie's Merciless ability are both perpetually active. I can't get my own until after the 13th badge, and that's long after Corrosive Field is done showing up.

Because it's just this fight.

Anyway it's not a big deal.

"That's all? Good. Then take it and go. I'm sick of-"

"I'm leaving. Bye."
"Excuse me?"
I'm leaving. For good."

Heather is at the bottom of the screen, covered by the text box. I swear.

"Heather, you will stop this right now."
"Make me! You can't! I'm done listening to you and your stupid rules! I'm sick of you saying I can't do anything ever! So I'm just done. Bye."
"You are being completely irresponsible. You can't just fly away and hope all of your problems will be solved."
"Watch me."
"Heather!"
"What."

"So what if I did?"
"Don't lose it."

Heather walks out without another word.

"No... I'll be at your side soon. Raven. I'm in no place to ask you favors, so... I'll put it this way:"

And Corey leaves on those enigmatic words.

In the Alternate Reality where we found the cops, Heather has already abandoned him, and, rather than surrendering to the cops, he similarly leaves for Beryl Bridge. Probably avoiding cops by disappearing or something.

On stepping out of the gym, an Absol chirps (what is the word for an Absol's noise?) and leaves.

Oh, Beryl Bridge is this entirely too long corridor that doesn't really serve a purpose but to lengthen the game.

The members of his team besides Crobat leave.

"You're not wanted here anymore, so get lost already!"

Crobat departs after much hesitation. This is ostensibly super-deep as Crobat evolves by friendship.

"So, Raven, what is it you want to know? Why I treated Heather how I did? It's because of my own weakness. It's because I was afraid."

(note: Corey's wife is not one of the several women in the fridge at Beryl Cemetary)

"Her mother was a beautiful, intelligent woman. Her equal does not exist. This, I am sure of. When I was with her, I was complete. I was happy."

"A chance mechanical error took her life during childbirth. It was then I learned how cold reality truly was. Just as soon as one finds what they've always sought, it is ripped apart from them forever. I vowed never to let Heather believe any different. Life is cruel and nothing more."

"But all I did was hurt her myself. And now because of it, she's gone."

In the Alternate Reality where we know Corey is a member of Team Meteor, he has a different, much more revealing monologue:

"Why I joined Team Meteor? I was cursed by my own luck. There was a ring-- a brilliant Ruby Ring. I purchased it from a collector some time ago. I'm not one for jewelry, but it was the most dazzling ring I had ever seen. I decided that I would introduce that ring to what true beauty was. I promised it to my love, and she gladly accepted. It wasn't long after we were married that my wife became pregnant. We were both very excited. Back then, I was happy. I was naive. My wife didn't survive Heather's birth. I was told that she died because of a mechanical error during the delivery. But that wasn't all. The doctor assigned to her had, at some point, taken the ring. And would not return it to me. I would later learn that he had been dispatched by Team Meteor to obtain that ring. I did what I could, but in the end, I was unable to recover it. So I made a deal. I agreed to serve them as long as I was allowed to keep the ring. To me, it was the last token of our happiness. I did everything I had to in order to keep it. I was selfish. I placed my own desires above what was best for Heather."

They converge here.

"She will be hunted for it. Please watch over her for me. I no longer have the right to call myself her father."

And.

Uh.

That happens.

Fern is here to make sure he cannot be sympathetic by mocking a man who just committed suicide.

And then the screen shakes a little.

Why is this game coy about swearing here? Is it just Fern who won't swear?

Luckily that's really directly in the way to Lapis Ward, north from Opal Bridge.

Which means yes we have to walk through a lot of nothing to get there.

A bomb was set off at the giant staircase to the (nonfunctional) gates out of the city.

No one was injured, no valuable property was damaged. Just a hole in stairs.

The water source to Reborn City is a beautiful river of snowmelt. Somewhere in the process of joining the lake it gets putrid.

This guy also doesn't say what he gives us. Sunkern is confusingly hard to find in Reborn.

In the bottom-right corner is a popular restaurant. Above him are...

The Bloods' hideout, and...

The most exclusive nightclub in the world.

The Spyce, said restaurant, sells drinks. They're cheap and effective.

No, and no trainers use them, so who gives a gently caress?

There's nothing to do at the hole caused by the bomb, so, well, we have no lead but gawking at a dead body.

Let's go rubbernecking I guess.

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 9
Acts of terrorism: 4
Acts of torture: 1
Bad guys escape somehow: 2
Absols: 2

TODAY's RANDOM SHINY:

There's the weird gray shinies that aren't so edgy as they seem... desaturated.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 21, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Fern really is the worst.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
SO! Want to know the fun part about the Corey suicide? Well the person who created the character of Corey in their little RP circle, he actually did kill himself. So they thought it would be the best way to honour their friend by writing his suicide into their fan game. I've been clenching my teeth the entire time since people brought up characters dying.

You may have also noticed something important He did not give us the badge. This is not a "Delayed until we get it in a bit" like Clair or Whitney from GSC. We just flat out don't get the badge, gently caress you, go gently caress yourself, go fight another gym.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

SO! Want to know the fun part about the Corey suicide? Well the person who created the character of Corey in their little RP circle, he actually did kill himself. So they thought it would be the best way to honour their friend by writing his suicide into their fan game. I've been clenching my teeth the entire time since people brought up characters dying.

You may have also noticed something important He did not give us the badge. This is not a "Delayed until we get it in a bit" like Clair or Whitney from GSC. We just flat out don't get the badge, gently caress you, go gently caress yourself, go fight another gym.

what the gently caress

what the actual gently caress

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Onmi posted:

That is disgusting. I really don't know what else to say, just... eurgh.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

What the heck, how does someone think that was a good idea for their friend :psypop:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's like everything in this game just makes it somehow even worse. The melodrama was terrible by itself, loving you over the badge is unacceptable for a Pokemon game, and being based on a real person that killed himself is...I don't know. I lack the words.

I feel genuinely disgusted. This isn't even worth mocking.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Onmi posted:

You're serious? Like, actually serious? "Wrote it in" as opposed to "he wrote the whole scene himself and we just left it in because we're too lazy to change the story"?

I was about to talk about how that suicide served absolutely no narrative purposes, but....now I don't want to.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

my eyes rolled so fast they flew out of my head, where do you even

Onmi posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ephraim225 posted:

You're serious? Like, actually serious? "Wrote it in" as opposed to "he wrote the whole scene himself and we just left it in because we're too lazy to change the story"?

I was about to talk about how that suicide served absolutely no narrative purposes, but....now I don't want to.

No, as in... okay I'm going to give part of the story because the rest of it would constitute as spoilers

The player behind Corey lost his wife, he joined the Reborn RP League along with his daughter. Then, after a while, he killed himself. In 'Tribute' to their friend, they wrote his character into their fan-game, and had him kill himself.

This is the cut down version, because again, more would constitute spoilers. And the fact that I have to save that makes me puke in my mouth.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pokemon Reborn: It's genuinely disgusting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I would also like to point out that they've rewritten this scene for Fern before

They decided he wasn't enough of a loving rear end in a top hat and thus made him worse.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Is Fern also based on one of their RP characters? Because like holy poo poo why would you hang around someone like that.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

:gonk: What is wrong with these people?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

What the loving christ

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Is Fern based on someone who somehow managed to be too toxic for the Reborn community and got kicked out, and that's why he's written this way? I can't imagine any other explanation for a character based, however indirectly, on a real human being to be written like such an rear end in a top hat.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well everything has just got a lot more hideously hosed up with that bit of background.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Ughhhhh how deep does this shithole of a game go? That background information is disturbing on multiple levels.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Onmi posted:

I had heard that there was a suicide in this game, and I was ready to write a big speech about how suicide is a tragic thing that isn't an answer to someone's problems, but this is far worse than I imagined.

I assumed that the Reborn community was just an echo chamber of bad ideas, but now I see that these people (or at least the writer of this game) are actual monsters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
So their "homage" is saying 'wow, what a moron'? This is beyond tone-deaf.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Allow me to sum up my thoughts:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

So their "homage" is saying 'wow, what a moron'? This is beyond tone-deaf.

I guess this scene would have been better if we were allowed to start pummeling Fern for being such a disgusting piece of poo poo.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Corey's suicide...

Well, there's not much to add about their idea of a "tribute" that hasn't been said.

But examining the Corey arc as a plot...
It's the first branching path in the game, where you can either breeze through and get an arbitrary-seeming resolution, or go out of your way and get a more complete, but still edgy story. It's the defining moment that shows what the game really is.
That being a problem on it's own. It's a moment - rushed. It needed room to breathe. And this is why I assume the rest of the game's plotting improves. Because in the future, it'll be focusing on characters who have already been introduced, and aren't just brought up to die in half an hour.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

BlazeEmblem posted:

I had heard that there was a suicide in this game, and I was ready to write a big speech about how suicide is a tragic thing that isn't an answer to someone's problems, but this is far worse than I imagined.

I assumed that the Reborn community was just an echo chamber of bad ideas, but now I see that these people (or at least the writer of this game) are actual monsters.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Pokemon Reborn: Far Worse Than You Imagined

Edit: Like the reason I've now posted two glib mocking one-liner putdowns of Reborn in about as many hours is because what the gently caress else is there to say? Pokemon Reborn: It's bad. And it's bad in such transcendentally obvious ways it feels pointless to elaborate on them. "Honoring" a real life suicide with an ultra edgy suicide in a lovely loving fangame and then having some rear end in a top hat run in and mock it is about the single most objectionable response to real world tragedy I can loving imagine.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 17, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hunt11 posted:

I guess this scene would have been better if we were allowed to start pummeling Fern the writers for being such a disgusting piece of poo poo.

fify

...god I hope the guy's daughter didn't see this.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"hey I know you lost both your parents in ways that transcend simple condolences how about we remember your dad in a video game where he kills himself???" screeched someone who uneasily wore the skin of a human

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Onmi posted:

No, as in... okay I'm going to give part of the story because the rest of it would constitute as spoilers

The player behind Corey lost his wife, he joined the Reborn RP League along with his daughter. Then, after a while, he killed himself. In 'Tribute' to their friend, they wrote his character into their fan-game, and had him kill himself.

This is the cut down version, because again, more would constitute spoilers. And the fact that I have to save that makes me puke in my mouth.
Feels like a real gently caress you to his daughter.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Even worse, the game pretty much blames the daughter for it. It's Heather's 'ingratitude' that triggers Corey to go and jump.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Black Robe posted:

Even worse, the game pretty much blames the daughter for it. It's Heather's 'ingratitude' that triggers Corey to go and jump.

Yep. Either that, or he's killing himself because his life's goal was to emotionally abuse the daughter into adopting his worldview, and it didn't take. Charming. Exactly what you'd want in a "respectful" "tribute" to somebody who lost their life to suicide.

And it sounds like his RL daughter was also part of this community, which means there's a decent chance she's seen this (or... was involved in the writing? I'm not sure which would be worse, if she were or weren't). This keeps getting more and more disturbing the more I think about it.

To make matters worse... I think I might have figured out where this is going to go, and I really hope I'm wrong. So... the player doesn't have the badge, and here comes dear old Fern to tell us where Corey is likely to have landed. You're going to have to track down his body and take the badge off it, aren't you.

I really hope I'm wrong, because that's incredibly gross.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

This update is so full of edgelord bullshit, I can't believe it.

Onmi posted:

:what:

Black Robe posted:

It sounded like it was him realizing what a lovely dad he was, not his daughter's 'ingratitude.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Absols go AWOOGA btw