Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
oh no, wheres the genius, the spark. cant do without genius, spark, in my football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
If you don't like Iceland you're a terrorist.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gigi Galli posted:

If you don't like Iceland you're a terrorist.

not emptyquoting

This World Cup won't end well for Serbia if they keep being this wasteful.

Edit: Wrong thread for the second part :(

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 17, 2018

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Iceland own. What are they supposed to do, try and play fluid attacking football with a population of 4 and a dentist for a manager? They'd get picked apart by bigger teams and lose 5-0. They play exactly the way they should play, play to their strengths and neutralize their opponents, and they're a really good team as a result.

And also anyone saying they don't attack or have any creativity is basing that on like 20 minutes at the end of yesterday's match, they had some really nice creative attacking play and scored a good goal in the first half.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
but off-brand slavoj zizek apparently had something to say about the genius and spark idk

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

*yells about triangles in russian while cramming whole turkey leg into my mouth*

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sekenr posted:

Iceland thread was gassed but goddamn did russian commenter Vasiliy Utkin thrown utter truthbombs about Iceland. They are not there to play football they are here to ruin football for others. There is no genius or spark, they figured out a way to be roadbump for everybody else and retardedly stick to that because they are unable to create anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UktEANpfFDk

:thumbsup:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

*yells about triangles in russian while cramming whole turkey leg into my mouth*

Lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Hahaha

Carrier
May 12, 2009

it s coming home

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Sekenr posted:

Iceland thread was gassed but goddamn did russian commenter Vasiliy Utkin thrown utter truthbombs about Iceland. They are not there to play football they are here to ruin football for others. There is no genius or spark, they figured out a way to be roadbump for everybody else and retardedly stick to that because they are unable to create anything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UktEANpfFDk

Good, I hope they 1-1 their way to winning the whole loving thing.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

rear end cobra posted:

off-brand slavoj zizek

Lmao

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
All the good teams are frauds.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

All the good teams are frauds.

Brazil is a bad team

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
This World Cup owns so far

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

This World Cup owns so far

very much so

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

England are going to win the World Cup imo

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

sebzilla posted:

England are going to win the World Cup imo

Pretty sure it's gonna be Iceland who mysteriously succomb to polonioum poisoning as a result

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
International football is always low quality, but why are this year's squads particularly bad? Usually the squads are impressive on paper but disappointing on the pitch; this year even the paper is crap (though the matches have been entertaining for the schadenfreude).

Is it because the past decade has had a glut of marginal young players who never got good?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

I think we'll see the squads get better as the tournament goes on. There are always some hiccups, though it is amazing that literally every one of the "favorites" has had a poo poo time of it. Even though France won they still looked terrible doing it.

There are plenty of players that are amazing for their clubs that have not really shown up I think. I don't the the talent is any worse, if anything there's more of it to go around.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Russia have actually looked like the best squad in the tournament so far which is very funny.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Patrice Evra is being criticized for applauding good analysis by a woman.

The world has gone loving mad.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/17/pundit-challenged-over-clapping-female-hosts-world-cup-analysis

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Shrapnig posted:

Russia have actually looked like the best squad in the tournament so far which is very funny.

They played Saudi Arabia my dude

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I don't think he needs to be pilloried for it, but it seems pretty condescending.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

They played Saudi Arabia my dude

That doesn't mean they didn't look like a cohesive side that has literally been training together for years because they didn't have to qualify my buff gay dude.

They're definitely bad but they looked good. :iiam:

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Shrapnig posted:

Patrice Evra is being criticized for applauding good analysis by a woman.

The world has gone loving mad.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/17/pundit-challenged-over-clapping-female-hosts-world-cup-analysis

He certainly doesn’t need to be crucified for it, but literally clapping is a bit condescending, even if he’s being genuine.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Gigi Galli posted:

I don't the the talent is any worse, if anything there's more of it to go around.

Oh, really? I'm surprised by that.

I don't watch as much football as TRP regulars, but what's struck me is how anonymous the squads seem to be. In the past I've been familiar with 8 or 9 of the starting 11 for the European and South American teams. This year it's more like 2 per side* - Ronaldo and Pepe for Portugal, Messi and Aguero for Argentina, Griezmann and Pogba for France - the rest of their players seem either disparaged or unheralded.

I guess Spain and Germany are less anonymous since they are 80% Barca/Real/Bayern, but those sides also seem bad, now!

*plus some comedy players who I know are bad like Otamendi, Di Maria, Quaresma, Giroud

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

santanotreal posted:

He certainly doesn’t need to be crucified for it, but literally clapping is a bit condescending, even if he’s being genuine.

it really isn't. I'm sure it was perceived as either applause or banter between the pundits/athletes who were there, including the woman who has been capped 100 times for England.

The internet and social media is a cesspool of overreaction.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

runoverbobby posted:

I don't watch as much football as TRP regulars, but what's struck me is how anonymous the squads seem to be. In the past I've been familiar with 8 or 9 of the starting 11 for the European and South American teams. This year it's more like 2 per side* - Ronaldo and Pepe for Portugal, Messi and Aguero for Argentina, Griezmann and Pogba for France - the rest of their players seem either disparaged or unheralded.

I guess Spain and Germany are less anonymous since they are 80% Barca/Real/Bayern, but those sides also seem bad, now!

*plus some comedy players who I know are bad like Otamendi, Di Maria, Quaresma, Giroud

lol what the gently caress are you on about, you should of just stopped typing after your qualifer, just because they are annonymous to you doesnt make them bad quality players

and if you think the quality of play has been bad at this WC, you must of been frozen in a rictus of horror in 2014 and 2010.

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 18, 2018

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

runoverbobby posted:

So your self-proclaimed ignorance to international football leads to you think the squads are anonymous?

You should get a job at Fox analyzing these games.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

runoverbobby posted:

A lot of teams skew younger these days than they used to. Many of the guys playing now were probably on their respective U-21 teams in the last World Cup, or just blew up in the past season or two like Mbappe. Teams are more spread out now too, as in they play in many leagues a lot of the time. France has reps from 5 different leagues for example. Portugal has players that play all over Europe.

What I meant by talent being spread out is that more teams have genuinely good players than they ever did. Egypt has Salah, Serbia has Milinkovic-Savic, Costa Rica has Navas, etc. the playing field is more level because the players have all gotten better. It's a good thing, but it is harder to follow everybody because so many leagues are competitive now, even if there are only around 4 club teams in europe that win anything any more. The stuff below that has gotten better.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Shrapnig posted:

So your self-proclaimed ignorance to international football leads to you think the squads are anonymous?

Soz, I'm just observing that I have consumed as much football during this World Cup cycle as I have in the past 5, and yet I know less about the players in this World Cup than any tournament since 1994. In the past I've known about the non-England internationals by osmosis, but this year I know fewer and I'm just asking if this is a substandard generation of players. The press are even saying England might do well because of how unimpressive everyone else is.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

runoverbobby posted:

Soz, I'm just observing that I have consumed as much football during this World Cup cycle as I have in the past 5, and yet I know less about the players in this World Cup than any tournament since 1994. In the past I've known about the non-England internationals by osmosis, but this year I know fewer and I'm just asking if this is a substandard generation of players. The press are even saying England might do well because of how unimpressive everyone else is.

I'd actually say it's the opposite. Individually most teams have players who are far better than previous generations. The issue is getting said players to play well in a team of inferior talents.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Gigi Galli posted:

A lot of teams skew younger these days than they used to. Many of the guys playing now were probably on their respective U-21 teams in the last World Cup, or just blew up in the past season or two like Mbappe. Teams are more spread out now too, as in they play in many leagues a lot of the time. France has reps from 5 different leagues for example. Portugal has players that play all over Europe.

What I meant by talent being spread out is that more teams have genuinely good players than they ever did. Egypt has Salah, Serbia has Milinkovic-Savic, Costa Rica has Navas, etc. the playing field is more level because the players have all gotten better. It's a good thing, but it is harder to follow everybody because so many leagues are competitive now, even if there are only around 4 club teams in europe that win anything any more. The stuff below that has gotten better.

Thanks for this. I didn't consider the youth aspect - it's probably the main factor. In the past one could assume the players from one World Cup would play in the next and stick around into their thirties. Now there's less carryover and you have to re-learn every team every tournament.

I'm sure the talent being spread out also has an effect. The good-but-not-prodigiously-great European players are going to look less impressive when the minnow sides are run professionally and have a few genuinely great players.

I don't know how to make that sound less colonial so I'm just going to leave it I'm sorry D&D.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

santanotreal posted:

Did you watch the video?

After her analysis they all just sat there in silence for a bit, until someone said "that was very good", and then Evra applauded, ostensibly in concurrence. Noone had anything to add so they had to do some sort of conversational break in order to move on.

People calling it sexist are being sexist. (not against Evra ofc, just in general)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Question, has sochi dog stolen any of the soccer balls yet

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I don’t like about this World Cup is the VAR poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

The only thing I don’t like about this World Cup is the VAR poo poo.

Actually VAR has been cool and good so far.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

jeebus bob posted:

Did you watch the video?

After her analysis they all just sat there in silence for a bit, until someone said "that was very good", and then Evra applauded, ostensibly in concurrence. Noone had anything to add so they had to do some sort of conversational break in order to move on.

People calling it sexist are being sexist. (not against Evra ofc, just in general)

I’m guessing the reaction is read just as you described. Evra is surprised and challenged by Aluko’s analysis presumably because he expected much less from a woman so he claps. It’s read as condescending because it’s a well worn reaction by men that in a mild and ‘nice’ way still lets the woman know that she has stepped out of line by showing up her male colleagues by ‘trying too hard’.

He reacted not to a good bit of analysis, but to a good bit of analysis coming, unexpectedly for him, from a woman. Put another was, he responded to Aluko not as a pundit but as a woman of whom he expected nothing like this because of her sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Good article this. https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/romelu-lukaku-ive-got-some-things-to-say

quote:

You know what’s funny? I missed 10 years of Champions League football when I was a kid. We never could afford it. I would come into school and all the kids would be talking about the final, and I’d have no idea what happened. I remember back in 2002, when Madrid played Leverkusen, everybody was like, “The volley! Oh my God, the volley!”

I had to pretend like I knew what they were talking about.

Two weeks later, we were sitting in computer class, and one of my friends downloaded the video off the Internet, and I finally saw Zidane smash it into the top corner with his left.

quote:

When things were going well, I was reading newspapers articles and they were calling me Romelu Lukaku, the Belgian striker.

When things weren’t going well, they were calling me Romelu Lukaku, the Belgian striker of Congolese descent.

• Locked thread