Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

AlternateNu posted:

What other cards are there that tap an artifact for free or as a mana-less cost? E.g.; Clock of Omens

https://scryfall.com/search?as=grid&order=name&q=%28o%3Atap+o%3Aan+o%3Auntapped+o%3Aartifact%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Modern is the best for at at the moment, but making it better would be easy.

Unban the following
Pod
Twin
Ponder
Preordain
Punishing fire
Green sun's zenith
Stoneforge mystic

Print the following in standard
Force of will
Daze
Engineered plague
back to basics
Stifle
Wasteland
Price of progress

Not to :can: but I think we see a SFM un-ban in the next year or two, especially with lots of decks running Abrades for both SFM and whatever gets tutored. It was also nowhere to be found at that SCG Open no-banlist Modern event a couple weeks ago.

E: Not that one for-funsies side event is a good scientific measure, but I do wonder whether or not WotC was watching that.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 17, 2018

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Thanks, but I already tried a few permutations of this. I mean, you didn't even get Clock of Omens in the results list. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think a SFM unban would be a fantastic thing for creature decks and as a lover of Birds of Paradise I am all for an unban

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Modern is the best for at at the moment, but making it better would be easy.

Unban the following
Pod
Twin
Ponder
Preordain
Punishing fire
Green sun's zenith
Stoneforge mystic

Print the following in standard
Force of will
Daze
Engineered plague
back to basics
Stifle
Wasteland
Price of progress

Unban Twin, ban Pestermite and Exarch.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

unban stoneforge ban batterskull and squadron hawk in exchange

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DangerDongs posted:

15 years ago I only really knew Redrafting and thought other stores doing it the normal way was kind of dumb, because people would just rare-pick.
I have been to tons of stores in my 20 years of playing and not once has this ever been the case with drafting with real prizes. People pick the good cards, it just so happens that rares are usually worth drafting above Fire Elemental. Rare redrafting is only desired by people who want to use draft as a way to trick new/less skilled players to open packs for them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Or just unban Stoneforge because as it turns out a turn 3 Batterskull that also wasted your entire turn 2 isn't very good in a format where half the decks kill you on turn 3.5 and the other half also don't care about Batterskull.

Yawgmoth posted:

I have been to tons of stores in my 20 years of playing and not once has this ever been the case with drafting with real prizes. People pick the good cards, it just so happens that rares are usually worth drafting above Fire Elemental. Rare redrafting is only desired by people who want to use draft as a way to trick new/less skilled players to open packs for them.

So you wouldn't take a pack 3 pick 1 Teferi if you were drafting black/red?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Thanks, but I already tried a few permutations of this. I mean, you didn't even get Clock of Omens in the results list. :v:

https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3Atap+o%3A%22untapped+artifact+you+control%22&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name
https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3Atap+o%3A%22untapped+artifacts+you+control%22

maybe someone smarter than me can come up with a search that combines the two

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

unban stoneforge ban batterskull and squadron hawk in exchange

The other half of Stoneblade already wasn’t good enough, why would unbanning Stoneforge change that

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm not really a fan of radrafting. I opened the teferi and passed on it twice before I took it (4 player draft) because I was looking green white, then squeezed it in. Taking one card of 14 or whatever in the pack at the start of each round shouldn't tank your deck.

Then again, I've only drafted once and play a couple times every few years.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

suicidesteve posted:

So you're saying you shouldn't take a foil Tarmogoyf Modern Masters draft pool?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AnEdgelord posted:

Wahahahah! Whaddaya do?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

I don't know what you're trying to say here but there is nothing I would take over a foil Tarmogoyf in any of the sets it's been in.

Maybe a foil Burst Lightning.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

suicidesteve posted:

Depends on the other cards in the pack and what I've already drafted, oddly enough!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
https://twitter.com/Boss_MTG/status/1008458613722107904

Tom Ross owns

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Also for not #wotctagging his tweets.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Yawgmoth posted:

Depends on the other cards in the pack and what I've already drafted, oddly enough!

bullshit.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

oh ok you know me better than I do oh wait

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I mean, I would take a foil Karn over Teferi

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Played infect in all my side events and cleaned up. It was very good to me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my modern report
goblin 8 whack
i had swapped out magma sprays in my sideboard for another blood moon and guttural response before the gp.

match one vs humans
game one: on the play. opening hand: goblin guide, legion loyalist, simian spirit guide x2, mountain, blood moon, mogg fanatic.

we go on to game two.

game two: i start out with a risky hand, 2 piledrivers, mogg war marshal, legion loyalist, grenade, bolt, one mountain. im on the draw here so i figure that i need to keep the bolt in hand to kill the heirarch if it comes out. sure enough it does, so on my turn i painfully mainphase bolt it down. i drew a mountain so i also sent in loyalist to get a point in. opponent misses the land drop but gets down vial. i draw a goblin bushwhacker. drop down the marshal to hopefully turn on loyalist, in lue of piledriver since i want to pressure them to be more focused on going wide instead of getting down freebooter. on their turn they're still stuck on one land and dont have a drop for the vial. i draw a simian spirit guide. i decide to go reckless, drop my bushwhacker, get in for 8, bringing them down to 10, then i exile the spirit guide and nade em in the face for 5, losing only a token. opponent just scoops at this point despite not being quite dead and probably still having some chance but hey i'll take it.

match two vs humans
game one: slower hand, piledriver two reckless bushwhackers a war marshal and mountains. im on the draw, get a mountain, im kinda worried but figure i might be able to race them anyway. they have a cavern but no one drop. mountain, pass. they put down territory, and freeboot. i have nothing to remove, but they got to see my hand. this is important. i drop my war marshal first, anticipating im gonna have to play slow and build wide. they play an aether vial and noble heirarch. i draw another mountain, i wanna die, get in for one, drop my piledriver. they play another land, and meddling mage naming goblin bushwhacker. he writes down goblin bushwhacker on his pad. i draw a legion loyalist, play a mountain, drop loyalist, surge out reckless bushwhacker and what happens next is kinda funny. he calls judge. judge comes by, he says im making an illegal cast. i tell him and the judge that he named goblin bushwhacker, these are reckless bushwhackers, and he saw as such when he freebooted. he contends that i knew what he meant by me acknowledging he looked at my hand, i point out he even wrote down goblin bushwhacker on his lifepad. judge agrees that its his responsibility to name the correct card since what he named was by identity a different card than what i had cast, even with the benefit of having viewed my hand earlier.

game two he mulled to five and dropped.

i then realized that i have a shot and im gettin really jazzed as i had only really hoped to play and just be a spoiler against what i thought was just the meta deck to disrupt. and then round three never starts. im getting kinda second thoughts. they then announce refunds to anyone who drops now. thinking about my prospects, i take them up on that deal so i can make a nine inch nails show later that day.

sealed main event on day two could have been fun but i had a really bad pool with literally zero removal outside of the 5 mana wizard that bounces a creature and slinn voda. i started out hot but went cold quick, dropped at 2-2 so i could make a nine inch nails show later that day.

i'll definitely do another gp after that experience but i dont know if i really want to travel for it. if they do another one in austin ever i'd prolly make that trek. im thinking about portland, not to sure, dont really have a team to prep with.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

back from the dead, lets see whats happening in mtg thread. ah, rare redraft chat. of course.

it may outlive the game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

back from the dead, lets see whats happening in mtg thread. ah, rare redraft chat. of course.

it may outlive the game.

people already moved on, shut up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you're right, its been two hours, my mistake. i hope we can be friends

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

you're right, its been two hours, my mistake. i hope we can be friends

do you play lantern control

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone know timing on the beta draft? I heard 8pm; PST I assume?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Walked posted:

Anyone know timing on the beta draft? I heard 8pm; PST I assume?

https://twitter.com/gabyspartz/status/1008491432632508416

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

rabidsquid posted:

it may outlive the game.

don't worry, another couple days and it'll be time for reserved list chat again

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I really hope someone there plays their deck unsleeved just to tilt the fuckin world

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I just want to see someone resolve a Chaos Orb.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

I really hope someone there plays their deck unsleeved just to tilt the fuckin world

They asked LSV on chat if he was playing unsleeved and he said that WOTC have told him he's not allowed.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

AceClown posted:

They asked LSV on chat if he was playing unsleeved and he said that WOTC have told him he's not allowed.

that's so fuckin lame

Konstantin posted:

I just want to see someone resolve a Chaos Orb.

Ah, good point--forgot that'd be legal. Hmmmm wonder whether you'd draft Orb high or low, if value didn't matter

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I want someone to cast an ante card

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Are ante cards legal in this context? Seeing a resolved Contract from Below would be amusing.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Matsuri posted:

Are ante cards legal in this context? Seeing a resolved Contract from Below would be amusing.

if Ante cards are legal, then Contract has gotta be an auto-pick

Also holy poo poo playing for ante in this format would be hilariously brutal

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

AceClown posted:

I thought he said he couldn't use sleeves because he was borrowing the beta lands?

rabidsquid posted:

it may outlive the game.

You're better off not returning. This thread is the most toxic concentration of lovely magic opinions.

shit is weak fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 18, 2018

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ante cards all say you have to remove them from your deck if you're not playing for ante.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Matsuri posted:

huh, I guess it is Vegas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

suicidesteve posted:

Ante cards all say you have to remove them from your deck if you're not playing for ante.

Ooh, so you could potentially play with like a 38 card deck?

(probably not, boo)