Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

The way they described her power, I took it to mean she's essentially speeding up the healing process, and not just healing them arbitrarily. That's why she can't really help Deku constantly, his limbs simply wouldn't heal correctly if he kept breaking them like that.

i don't dispute this, but i thought she stopped healing deku because "one day you won't have me as a crutch and you'll get yourself loving killed, idiot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

There's probably a fair bit of work involved in fixing Deku when he fucks himself up even before Recovery Girl does anything. In real life, if you let a bad break heal on its own without manually re-setting the bones correctly you'll just end up even worse off. Deku's arms were practically jelly after he was done with Muscular, I hate to think how much time they spent putting them back together like a jigsaw puzzle.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't she specifically not fully heal his hand as a warning? Like she could've full healed him, but chose to give him a life long reminder of why he shouldn't fight like that instead

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
hosed up that the health personel gets to call who gets to be the real greatest hero TBH.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Didn't she specifically not fully heal his hand as a warning? Like she could've full healed him, but chose to give him a life long reminder of why he shouldn't fight like that instead

All she does is accelerate the healing process. She made him recover naturally at one point, both as a lesson but also because he was too worn out for her to use her power anymore, but she didn't leave him maimed intentionally. It would be pretty hosed if she could prevent his permanent disfigurement and decided not to.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah it was Iida who decided to leave his hand hosed up by not having it fixed.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Also, healing uses up energy. It's possible she'd flat out kill Deku by overhealing him.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
All Recovery Girl said was that if he broke himself again she wouldn't fix him, since he seemed to be acting as if it didn't matter if he smashed himself to bits if she could put him together again. She's still stepped in and healed him during incidents where villains have caused harm and Deku had no choice, so it's clear that it's less a "I wont" and more "If you break your arm in a sports tournament I'm not fixing it, you had no reason to do it."

And now Deku only really has 2 or 3 Smashes like that left in his arms before he's permanently hosed them forever. Because as Recovery Girl defined, her ability simply speeds up the body's healing process. This probably means she can make some miraculous heals that the body normally wouldn't be able to survive. but she can't magic up new ligaments.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

i don't dispute this, but i thought she stopped healing deku because "one day you won't have me as a crutch and you'll get yourself loving killed, idiot"

Six of one, half-dozen of the other

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spiritus Nox posted:

Imagine Deku having to walk around in a permanent state of Full Cowling.

that actually sounds like a really good idea for Deku's training

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CharlestonJew posted:

Right up until he accidentally puts a hole in a wall with a 5% "trip and catch myself" smash.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Onmi posted:

All Recovery Girl said was that if he broke himself again she wouldn't fix him, since he seemed to be acting as if it didn't matter if he smashed himself to bits if she could put him together again. She's still stepped in and healed him during incidents where villains have caused harm and Deku had no choice, so it's clear that it's less a "I wont" and more "If you break your arm in a sports tournament I'm not fixing it, you had no reason to do it."

And now Deku only really has 2 or 3 Smashes like that left in his arms before he's permanently hosed them forever. Because as Recovery Girl defined, her ability simply speeds up the body's healing process. This probably means she can make some miraculous heals that the body normally wouldn't be able to survive. but she can't magic up new ligaments.

Deku just needs to get better punching with his left arm.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Skypie posted:

Someone asked Sabat what it was like to finally have a leading role after being a secondary guy for so long and he started talking about how great it was but also that Colleen Clinkenbeard kinda tormented him a little.

He said she would tell him he was submitting good takes and then she'd ask "Can you try it again with a little more emphasis on this word?" He'd do it and ask how it was and Clinkenbeard would say "Oh. Well it was pretty good. Yeah. I mean, you're in the top 2 for the part. Maybe top 3?"

Is she the director? Has she ever explained why she's had the cast mispronouncing "Midoriya" since the first episode? (JP "MidoREEya," ENG "MiDORiya"). The dub is pretty solid yet still has some jarring flaws like this, basic stuff one would think would be easy to do right.

RuanGacho posted:

I think a lot of what makes a series good is it has a message that resonates with the time it's taking place and there is nothing more resonating to a lot of people these days than true, un-cynical heroism. That we can be more than the sum of our parts. That's what the Symbol of Peace is about.

Sam Leach at ANN had a good statement about EP 49:

This resonates with me pretty hard.

PMush Perfect posted:

Right up until he accidentally puts a hole in a wall with a 5% "trip and catch myself" smash.

Honestly that sounds like the sort of goofy thing All Might would do too so I'm for it.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 18, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

All that glowing and electricity would probably he distracting for the rest of the class.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

rockopete posted:

Is she the director? Has she ever explained why she's had the cast mispronouncing "Midoriya" since the first episode? (JP "MidoREEya," ENG "MiDORiya"). The dub is pretty solid yet still has some jarring flaws like this, basic stuff one would think would be easy to do right.

Yeah, Clinkenbeard is the VA director and also Momo's English voice. I honestly hadn't noticed that bit until you pointed it out so I'm not sure there's a good answer to that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

PMush Perfect posted:

it's like how Goku did that training where he spent a week straight as a super saiyan to better control its power

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

it's like how Goku did that training where he spent a week straight as a super saiyan to better control its power

Was that before of after he accidentally knocked his wife through a wall?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Skypie posted:

Yeah, Clinkenbeard is the VA director and also Momo's English voice. I honestly hadn't noticed that bit until you pointed it out so I'm not sure there's a good answer to that.

Letting the VA pronounce a Japanese name in a way that sounds natural for them is honestly probably the best policy.

Also on the subject of Clinkenbeard, Toonami recently got to her first speaking appearance (episode 6) and every time I've ever heard it I freak out at how old Momo sounds, jesus.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 18, 2018

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Love this anime man...

What are some other action based ones out now that are this well animated? Someone told me Darling in the Frank. Anyone here recommend it?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Love this anime man...

What are some other action based ones out now that are this well animated? Someone told me Darling in the Frank. Anyone here recommend it?

...that's not a show I'd recommend if you want something like MHA.

Maybe Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Arist posted:

Letting the VA pronounce a Japanese name in a way that sounds natural for them is honestly probably the best policy.

Also on the subject of Clinkenbeard, Toonami recently got to her first speaking appearance (episode 6) and every time I've ever heard it I freak out at hold Momo sounds, jesus.

I think it was Clinkenbeard who brutally murdered the dreams of a bunch of anime con goers. She was helping run a VA panel about voice acting and someone asked her how to get into it and that they'd made a bunch of demo reels to send to anime studios

And Clinkenbeard was like "You might as well just put them in the garbage cuz nobody is really gonna listen to an unknown. If you wanna get into voice acting, get involved in theater. Take theater courses. Get a job doing laundry commercials. It sucks but there's no shortcut to it." And the whole mood of the room was palpable even through the podcast I heard it on

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

gmq posted:

...that's not a show I'd recommend if you want something like MHA.

Maybe Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Seen it already. I'm curious though, why wouldn't you recommend Darling in the Franks? I've just watched a short YouTube clip but it seems to be a similarly wholesome feel good action anime

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 18, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Seen it already. I'm curious though, why wouldn't you recommend Darling in the Franks? I've just watched a short YouTube clip but it seems to be a similarly wholesome feel good action anime

It’s not really a shonen

It’s also not very good but that’s more subjective

Also how do you feel about unsubtle sexual metaphors

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 18, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Love this anime man...

Darling in the Franxx is a completely different genre and far more about psychological and sexual stuff (and unsubtle references/ripoffs of other mecha anime). Quality has been debated to hell and back and I won't add to it, though I'm enjoying it.

If you want something like this and well-animated, you can't go wrong with One Punch Man. Similar hero themes, very good animation, absolutely worth watching (and reading, if you're into manga, and I hear double reading if you like webcomics too).

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also how do you feel about unsubtle sexual metaphors

Depends if they are used for exploring interesting themes or if they are used for shock/titilation .

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Also I think Trigger just walked out half way through the series.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

DitF is like 20% action and 80% character/relationship drama. Sorry, your youtube link lied to you OP.

SAO GGO is p fun.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Depends if they are used for exploring interesting themes or if they are used for shock/titilation .

I don’t think they even know the answer to this

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Arist posted:

Honestly that's weak, this is one name and they pronounce pretty much every other name in line with the Japanese.

Skypie posted:

I think it was Clinkenbeard who brutally murdered the dreams of a bunch of anime con goers. She was helping run a VA panel about voice acting and someone asked her how to get into it and that they'd made a bunch of demo reels to send to anime studios

And Clinkenbeard was like "You might as well just put them in the garbage cuz nobody is really gonna listen to an unknown. If you wanna get into voice acting, get involved in theater. Take theater courses. Get a job doing laundry commercials. It sucks but there's no shortcut to it." And the whole mood of the room was palpable even through the podcast I heard it on

I'm glad she gave it to us straight and I don't doubt the truth of those words for a second. However it's difficult to respect her in general as someone in the industry if she can't even do basic poo poo right--the misgendering of Magne, for instance, which isn't huge, but it continues the trend of a lack of concern for the material. Maybe if she wasn't both directing and acting she'd have time to do her job properly?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think at this point she's been in the industry for so long that she's just going with what she knows works (for her, personally). My thought with the Magne gender thing is that it wasn't something that the localization team looked out for to get right. Which is a problem, but also tracks considering how long the Funimation crew has been doing things and the relative age of the producers/directors.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I'm willing to maybe give them benefit of the doubt about Magne because there's absolutely nothing to indicate she's a trans character except a bio splash in the back of a manga volume, I think. Same with Tiger. Even the sub version of the previous episode doesn't refer to Magne as a she, it just describes her power as "this quirk can do this and it works like that." Clinkenbeard or any of the crew don't strike me as the kind of people who are maliciously trying to undo something from the manga.

Honestly, most of the acting crew genuinely doesn't know the source material and frequently they don't even watch their own shows. Steve Blum said so years ago, many VA folks have repeated it. Even just a few weeks before this season, Chris Sabat said it's impossible for him to watch everything he's in and while he loves the characters he portrays, he very rarely has time to watch the completed project.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think it's cool that the mangaka include transgender characters. I wonder if the dub team looked at the manga material much at all? They were probably just working from the anime as the only source.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Skypie posted:

I'm willing to maybe give them benefit of the doubt about Magne because there's absolutely nothing to indicate she's a trans character except a bio splash in the back of a manga volume, I think. Same with Tiger. Even the sub version of the previous episode doesn't refer to Magne as a she, it just describes her power as "this quirk can do this and it works like that." Clinkenbeard or any of the crew don't strike me as the kind of people who are maliciously trying to undo something from the manga.

Honestly, most of the acting crew genuinely doesn't know the source material and frequently they don't even watch their own shows. Steve Blum said so years ago, many VA folks have repeated it. Even just a few weeks before this season, Chris Sabat said it's impossible for him to watch everything he's in and while he loves the characters he portrays, he very rarely has time to watch the completed project.

That's fine and totally understandable. Actors got a lot of gigs. But the director is a different matter, it's up to them to know the material so they can instruct the actors who like you say aren't expected to know it.

And I didn't mean to imply Clinkenbeard was malicious at all, I'm sure she's a great person regarding LGBT stuff. What I meant is that she, the director, didn't care or have enough time to catch errors like this and Midoriya's name. Neglect, not malice. If you're in charge of localizing a piece of foreign media including language, that is literally your job. She's done better than a lot of dubs which is to her credit, but still made some basic mistakes. And maybe that's because she's doing double duty.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 18, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The Magne thing is an honest mistake unless they don't fix it for the disc release. They're dubbing these episodes in under a two week time table, I doubt they have time to take everything into consideration.

As far as the Midoreeya vs. Midooriya thing, I don't know. I scarcely noticed it even though I typically watch each episode both ways, it just sounds like the way an English speaker would naturally pronounce that name. It hardly ruins an otherwise stellar dub.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What's really funny is that despite what Clinkenbeard said she's sharing MHA with people who got into the industry because they did a loving youtube parody of DBZ.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Shere posted:

The Magne thing is an honest mistake unless they don't fix it for the disc release. They're dubbing these episodes in under a two week time table, I doubt they have time to take everything into consideration.

As far as the Midoreeya vs. Midooriya thing, I don't know. I scarcely noticed it even though I typically watch each episode both ways, it just sounds like the way an English speaker would naturally pronounce that name. It hardly ruins an otherwise stellar dub.

I also watch each both ways, and I never can't notice--it's gotten to the point that I almost dread hearing Deku's full name. Interesting, neither pronounciation sounds "naturally English" to me. I could imagine an American Southern-accented "Mido-REE-yuh!" for example, or a more Northeastern "Mi-DOR-iya."

e: not that I want a Southern accent, the point is that both examples came to mind easily and neither pronounciation is 'unnatural' or 'natural'.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 18, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ugh please don't get me started on Southern accents in dubs.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

Also on the subject of Clinkenbeard, Toonami recently got to her first speaking appearance (episode 6) and every time I've ever heard it I freak out at how old Momo sounds, jesus.

Which is the oldest Momo ever sounds in the dub. In all of her other English Dub appearances she sounds much younger.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
They better fix the misgendering thing for home releases. But the argument over Midoriya sounds more like the argument of whether or not dubs should include honorifics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Speaking of DBZ, just give Sabat Clinkenbeard's job. He's been directing people on making ridiculous screaming sound cool since most of us were in high school.