Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Seeing this poo poo play out in the Trump thread is both hilarious and infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BadOptics posted:

Seeing this poo poo play out in the Trump thread is both hilarious and infuriating.

Love too rehabilitate GWB.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Manchin spending the last few days putting out commercials for the border wall and specifically not joining in on the bill to stop child separation makes the posts claiming if you don't support him you are against DACA even more maddening.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Radish posted:

Manchin spending the last few days putting out commercials for the border wall and specifically not joining in on the bill to stop child separation makes the posts claiming if you don't support him you are against DACA even more maddening.

lol are the smoothbrains seriously still trying to pull that poo poo after just throwing up their hands and declaring that there's nothing that could have been done when the dems threw the dreamers under the bus earlier this year?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol are the smoothbrains seriously still trying to pull that poo poo after just throwing up their hands and declaring that there's nothing that could have been done when the dems threw the dreamers under the bus earlier this year?

The narrative changed so quickly from "believe in the Democrats because they have a plan to help and your negativity isn't helping" to "nothing ever could have been done you are holding the minority party to an unreasonable standard" within like a day after Schumer gave up on the shutdown it was scary.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gently caress any piece of poo poo who waltz up and says "actually the trump admin always has good and strong legal reasons to do everything. No I can't explain them, but I work at MinTruth so trust me" and still have the loving gall to pretend they're not a loving nazi.

You're a nazi stooge doing a nazi job and to top it off, you spend your free time defending nazis.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Abolish ICE

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Zikan posted:

Abolish ICE

This is the centrist position at best too.

The reality is that we should prosecute ICE.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Radish posted:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/392801-manchin-becomes-final-democrat-to-back-bill-preventing-separation

quote:

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) said on Monday that he will back legislation to prevent the separation of immigrant families along the border, solidifying Democratic support for the bill.

Manchin's decision means all 49 members of the Democratic caucus, which includes independent Sens. Bernie Sanders (Vt.) and Angus King (Maine), are signing on to the legislation.

quote:

No Republican senator has said they will support Feinstein's bill, which would need 60 votes to clear the Senate.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

looks like the manchin defender has logged on

do you wanna pat him on the back for finally being pushed to not support nazi policy? last i checked dems should be resisting fascism and fascists, and yet joe here seems to love the fascist in chief so much he can't help but hug the guy and want to support his reelection

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Condiv posted:

do you wanna pat him on the back for finally being pushed to not support nazi policy? last i checked dems should be resisting fascism and fascists, and yet joe here seems to love the fascist in chief so much he can't help but hug the guy and want to support his reelection

Hey man, sometimes you have to pander to people who support the genocide of entire populations to get re-elected.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I already gave credit to Manchin for joining the Democrats in the other USPOL thread that's discussing this topic. However let's be frank: being against child internment camps is the absolute lowest bar that can be set and he was the last hold out to join in. He's not doing something noble and heroic here, he's meeting the standard for a decent human specifically on an issue that's polling at 27% support so even some Trump supporters are against it. Also as is frequently pointed out his "bad" votes don't matter when something was going to pass anyway, so his good vote here is less important since there's no way that Republicans are signing on. If they get some to actually flip (God willing) then it becomes more significant. It doesn't change the fact that he's still campaigning on racism during this nightmare.

This also gets back to what I was saying a while ago here. Democrats claim to hate Manchin and his votes but they are always very quick to defend his honor the second he clears the bare minimum expected of a member of the left party.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Dude how dare you criticize the guy who had to be dragged kicking and screaming to being against child concentration camps? Don't you know he's got a D next to his name?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Radish posted:

I already gave credit to Manchin for joining the Democrats in the other USPOL thread that's discussing this topic. However let's be frank: being against child internment camps is the absolute lowest bar that can be set and he was the last hold out to join in. He's not doing something noble and heroic here, he's meeting the standard for a decent human specifically on an issue that's polling at 27% support so even some Trump supporters are against it. Also as is frequently pointed out his "bad" votes don't matter when something was going to pass anyway, so his good vote here is less important since there's no way that Republicans are signing on. If they get some to actually flip (God willing) then it becomes more significant. It doesn't change the fact that he's still campaigning on racism during this nightmare.

This also gets back to what I was saying a while ago here. Democrats claim to hate Manchin and his votes but they are always very quick to defend his honor the second he clears the bare minimum expected of a member of the left party.

Manchin is a piece of human garbage.

Today, however, I am glad that there is a Democratic senator in a state that Trump won by 42.2% even if he is a piece of human garbage, because in this particular case the absolute worst Democratic senator appears to be better than even the best Republican one.

Condiv posted:

I don't think I've ever posted about Joe Manchin before.

In this case this piece of garbage finally coming around and doing the bare loving minimum is a good thing. I hope he loses his next primary to someone who is less terrible, but if he ends up in the general election running against a Republican then I would support his re-election, since the worst Democrat appears to be better than the best Republican. He has cleared the absolute lowest bar, and no Republican will do even that.

What happened to your swastika avatar?

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 20, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

DeadlyMuffin posted:

In this case this piece of garbage finally coming around and doing the bare loving minimum is a good thing. I hope he loses his next primary to someone who is less terrible, but if he ends up in the general election running against a Republican then I would support his re-election, since the worst Democrat appears to be better than the best Republican. He has cleared the absolute lowest bar, and no Republican will do even that.

some kind soul got rid of it. why? are you the one who bought that thing?

and he's not coming around: https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1009088953566289920

https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1009088955025936385

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Manchin is a piece of human garbage.

Today, however, I am glad that there is a Democratic senator in a state that Trump won by 42.2% even if he is a piece of human garbage, because in this particular case the absolute worst Democratic senator appears to be better than even the best Republican one.

If I was a betting man my money is on him flipping R in the next 2 years.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Condiv posted:

some kind soul got rid of it. why? are you the one who bought that thing?

and he's not coming around: https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1009088953566289920

https://twitter.com/Sen_JoeManchin/status/1009088955025936385

If I bought you an avatar it would be a shift key.

And I'm not surprised by his tweets, he's still godawful. One more reason to primary him asap. But I think we are better off having him in that seat that any Republican.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Lmao holy gently caress.

Also whoever called Manchin swapping parties after the midterms is almost certainly right.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Lmao holy gently caress.

Also whoever called Manchin swapping parties after the midterms is almost certainly right.

Can I go ahead and call him swapping being blamed on people pushing against him.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Oh Snapple! posted:

Can I go ahead and call him swapping being blamed on people pushing against him.

Yuuuuup.

https://twitter.com/eoinhiggins_/status/1009477617358200837?s=21

Some commentary.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

DeadlyMuffin posted:

And I'm not surprised by his tweets, he's still godawful. One more reason to primary him asap. But I think we are better off having him in that seat that any Republican.

the shift key is for fools

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Condiv posted:

the shift key is for fools
capitalization is counterrevolutionary because it emphasizes some letters over others unjustly.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/jnmedina8989/status/1009475381785714698

Dems got outmaneuvered by the DSA. I love it.

Obviously its a small first step and theres already a humanitarian crisis but goddamn if thats not a tiny little blink of political hope for me in a sea of nothing matters.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1011789112129486853

A young challenger upset the status quo, I wonder what she was running on?

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1001795660524457985

Oh look, she stands for something besides more money for her donors and power for herself. And makes clear statements about policies she supports without apologizing.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 27, 2018

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1011789112129486853

A young challenger upset the status quo, I wonder what she was running on?

https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1001795660524457985

Oh look, she stands for something besides more money for her donors and power for herself. And makes clear statements about policies she supports without apologizing.

But how will she get the silent majority of Never Trumpers to vote for her?? :ohdear:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
thank u obama for nominating a moderate judge you didn't fight at all for because you thought the turtle man had a sense of shame, we're gonna mcfuckin die and Roe/civil rights/voting rights has a year timer left on em but thank GOD you didn't violate decorum.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Well if you're unhappily gay-married it's a free excuse to get an annulment :confuoot:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ytlaya posted:

It's also very questionable whether, in the long run, the benefits of a Democratic majority (that includes people like Manchin) outweigh the harm caused by allowing the party image to be "corrupted" through association with people like that.

It's really telling that you're not only privileged enough to say no to a high paying career in finance but also to live out the crazy poo poo going on only to be concerned about "long term harm to the image of the party". That must be awesome to be in a position where those are your biggest concerns, you're incredibly lucky. Must be cool not to worry about being deported or have family that needs to be taken care of and then morally judge everyone else that are forced into more difficult decisions.

By the way, that lack of a democratic majority got us Gorsuch. Are you happy to see unions further cut down? Are you happy about seeing the first amendment being weaponized against the left in not one but two contradictory rulings in as many weeks? How about that "Not Muslim" ban based on the same justifications as Jim loving Crow? Is it all worth it to you?

Is it worth it?

I said repeatedly that senators like Machin are poo poo. But having a democratic majority in the senate meant that Reid could have brough Obama's nominee up for a vote. Obama could have fought harder, but he can't force McConnell do anything.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How long before Obama asks us to think long and hard about voting and how we have the power to compell white supremacists to throw us scraps

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

I said repeatedly that senators like Machin are poo poo. But having a democratic majority in the senate meant that Reid could have brough Obama's nominee up for a vote. Obama could have fought harder, but he can't force McConnell do anything.

Ideological purity takes precedence over things like preventing Roe V. Wade from being overturned.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zeroprime posted:

Ideological purity takes precedence over things like preventing Roe V. Wade from being overturned.

ideological purity like 'STOP VOTING WITH THE REPUBLICANS YOU loving SCUMBAG' is part of what keeps that from happening

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

It's really telling that you're not only privileged enough to say no to a high paying career in finance but also to live out the crazy poo poo going on only to be concerned about "long term harm to the image of the party". That must be awesome to be in a position where those are your biggest concerns, you're incredibly lucky. Must be cool not to worry about being deported or have family that needs to be taken care of and then morally judge everyone else that are forced into more difficult decisions.

By the way, that lack of a democratic majority got us Gorsuch. Are you happy to see unions further cut down? Are you happy about seeing the first amendment being weaponized against the left in not one but two contradictory rulings in as many weeks? How about that "Not Muslim" ban based on the same justifications as Jim loving Crow? Is it all worth it to you?

Is it worth it?

Manchin voted against DREAM and helped kill it despite enough Republicans crossing the aisle to break the filibuster had Dems been united so lol at using kiddie concentration camps as a prop against people who think we should do better than Manchin.

E: Manchin also voted for Gorsuch to kill unions so lol again
E2: Manchin will vote to kill Roe v Wade

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 27, 2018

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

obama coulda forced so much poo poo it doesn't even make sense. but he only abused executive power to kill brown people instead of ending the national debt

also double lol at pretending like a democratic majority is worth anything, we had one during the financial crisis and we got "I'll protect my banker friends from the people"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

90s Rememberer posted:

obama coulda forced so much poo poo it doesn't even make sense. but he only abused executive power to kill brown people instead of ending the national debt

also double lol at pretending like a democratic majority is worth anything, we had one during the financial crisis and we got "I'll protect my banker friends from the people"

Also "actually gently caress you DREAMers, get deported under the next Republican administration"

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Solkanar512 posted:

Is it worth it?

You know that this accusing other people of poo poo that you're ten times more responsible for thingy isn't working anymore in our brave new post-escalator world, right?

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

wont we all be red in the face when the dems cash in all the political capital they've been saving

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yall were so decorous about Garland's seat, we're going to magnanimously nominate Supreme Court Justice Ta-Nehisi Coates in gratitude.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

lol what are you talking about. I couldn't get a job after graduating because I graduated in 2008, right as the financial crisis hit. I then ended up going back home where I ended up becoming an opioid addict for 8+ years until the present (though I'm now stabilized on suboxone, fortunately)*. I still consider myself privileged simply because I ended up getting a decent job after looking for almost a year (paid $13/hr when I started and after 8 years I now make $37k, which I'm very happy with) and have middle class parents (mother was a 1st grade teacher and dad an x-ray technician). But through my experience with the addiction I've met many people without that much support. I've seen two very different "sides" to America - the extremely privileged people I met in high school/college who now work at ibanks/consulting/law firms and come from well-off families, and the (often poor) people suffering from addiction. When I read something like the Trump thread, most of the people I see remind me of the former (not necessarily directing this towards you specifically).

There is something very different about the way someone with a stable life and little direct cause for personal concern about the future views politics. The biggest thing is the complete lack of urgency. They don't really care much if we accomplish positive change sooner or later, as long as we can technically say we're on the way there. But every year we don't accomplish these things is another year that people continue to experience the sort of suffering and stress that the yuppie types posting in places like the Trump thread can't even comprehend. Obviously it isn't possible to accomplish everything that needs to be accomplished in just a year (or whatever), but there still needs to be an appreciation for the extremely steep cost of postponing change.

Also, if you want to focus on underprivileged people who would be harmed by political outcomes, the number of people who would be harmed by a Republican government that wouldn't also be harmed under a Democratic one is absolutely smaller than the number who are harmed regardless of the party in control. While more people suffer under Republicans (and it's important to defeat Republicans as a result), the majority of people suffering right now would continue to suffer under a Democratic government. Most poor and/or PoC people with lovely lives right now would continue to have lovely lives regardless of the party in control. This doesn't mean "both parties are the same," but it does mean both parties neglect to help a massive number of people. So it strikes me as very strange when someone spends most of their time not focusing on the issues that influence far more people, especially when focusing on those issues would likely help the Democratic Party win. If you want to address an issue like poverty or racial/gender material inequality, you're going to have to push the Democratic Party to do that.

* Despite my tone, I'm not that comfortable mentioning this, but I feel like it's better than being evasive

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

The Garland nomination was whiffed so pathetically, it's infuriating to imagine what the Democratic establishment's thought process. After Garland was chosen, it was clear there were be 3 possible outcomes:

1. Nominate a "moderate" pick that you know will be blocked regardless. After Clinton *obviously* wins the election, let her nominate a truly progressive pick, using the GOP's own messaging against them (it was what the voters decided!)
2. Nominate a "moderate" pick so that you can effectively argue against unreasonable GOP obstruction and force a vote
3. Nominate a "moderate" pick because you're a spineless, Third-Way tool, and when you face obstruction immediately throw your hands in the air and stop mentioning the issue to the press. Proceed to lose the election and instantly give Trump a court pick right from the start.

If you honestly thought the Democratic establishment believed in fighting for progress, I can see the logic behind possibility 1, though even with the polling so strongly in your candidate's favor, it's probably not worth risking a SC seat over. If the Democrats believed in fighting for any policy, even their own nominee, possibility 2 is what they should have done.

Instead they picked the third outcome because it's clear the establishment really doesn't carry about policy outcomes, and they thought they were scoring better points by focusing on Trump's scandals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Euphoriaphone posted:

3. Nominate a "moderate" pick because you're a spineless, Third-Way tool, and when you face obstruction immediately throw your hands in the air and stop mentioning the issue to the press. Proceed to lose the election and instantly give Trump a court pick right from the start.

This is made up. Obama and his admin brought up garland constantly, the ~~media~~ was too obsessed over the orange monkey on the escalator to pay any attention.

And who can forget the truly riveting scandal that was the single most important issue of the 2016 campaign

• Locked thread