Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
So, for those SCCA Solo'ers in the thread, what the HELL class is a base '01 with a torsen swap, no interior carpets or sound deadening, aftermarket ARBs, intake, strut brace? SSM due to the interior missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think SSM still requires an interior, Spec Miatas run in DP iirc.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

ionn posted:

Or even better, if someone here has an NB with cruise control and is willing to take a peek and see what in the wiring harness matches what in the servo actuator. Mine is a 2002, but it seems at least 1999-2003 are the same, so probably goes for all of them.

I'm just going to quote/bump myself because I srsly need halp plz.

Edit:

Got this from someone at miataturbo.net:

quote:

. Notch
Pink Blue
Gr/Y Gr/B

Enough for an initial attempt, I guess. Would mean it maps
pink -> blue/orange
blue -> blue/red
gr/y -> blue/yellow
gr/b -> blue/black

Will see how it goes.

ionn fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 13, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guinness posted:

Now here's an interesting new "confirmed" rumor: 2019 Miata to get power bump from 155 to 181hp along with redline bump from 6800 to 7500rpm.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/06/11/mazda-miata-more-horsepower-higher-redline/

I'll believe it when the official Mazda USA press release goes out, but that would be a fairly significant update.
Thanks Mazda, just as I was convincing myself to maybe get a used ND in a year or two.

Voltage posted:

I finally finished installing my new clutch+rear.main seal+rear oilpan seal and new slave cylinder. I only broke off 3 exhaust bolts! The difference is night and day, so much easier to drive now. I need to stop by a muffler shop tomorrow and have them drill out and slap in the new bolts, its a little loud but not horrible enough not to drive around for a few days, just not totally sealed up.

Oh man, I don't know if you mean like exhaust manifold bolts or actual muffler bolts, but I had a hole in the middle silencer and got a new one to DIY install and suddenly I'm not so confident in success even if I grind off the bolts

also check out the sway bar :stonklol:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

mobby_6kl posted:

Thanks Mazda, just as I was convincing myself to maybe get a used ND in a year or two.

Oh man, I don't know if you mean like exhaust manifold bolts or actual muffler bolts, but I had a hole in the middle silencer and got a new one to DIY install and suddenly I'm not so confident in success even if I grind off the bolts

also check out the sway bar :stonklol:

How'd you get pictures of my car?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Nevermind

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 16, 2018

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

Don Lapre posted:

Would anyone be willing to look over this for me. Guy is asking $4800 and is firm. Comes with the mis matched hard top which i would probably just sell.
Claims its completely rust free which I would verify as best as possible before buying. Its a c package 1994. Id also get rid of the fake roll bars and probably the spoiler eventually.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tofmUdMudpU_cw4YjDFA2rMf7DrIQLzu

That's $1000 more than I paid for my similar condition 97 without a hard top. If you can verify it's actually free of rust it seems like a pretty fair price.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DogCop posted:

That's $1000 more than I paid for my similar condition 97 without a hard top. If you can verify it's actually free of rust it seems like a pretty fair price.

Thanks!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
How many miles? That's knocking on good deal for a NB territory here.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Okay brake job almost done. In the sense that I'm driving it, just without the parking brake because I couldn't get bracket off either old caliper.

(top left here, with the bolt sticking through it)

Any ideas how to get it off? It doesn't seem to be very rusted at all but just wouldn't budge. I don't have an impact wrench which I suppose would do it. Worst case I'd just take it to a random shop on Monday and have them have a go at it.

Also, after bleeding the rear, the pedal seems to travel a bit more before biting properly. Do I need to also bleed the fronts or is there something else I could adjust? It never bit immediately in the first mm of travel like in some other cars, but seems like it got a bit worse.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

mobby_6kl posted:

Okay brake job almost done. In the sense that I'm driving it, just without the parking brake because I couldn't get bracket off either old caliper.

(top left here, with the bolt sticking through it)

Any ideas how to get it off? It doesn't seem to be very rusted at all but just wouldn't budge. I don't have an impact wrench which I suppose would do it. Worst case I'd just take it to a random shop on Monday and have them have a go at it.

Also, after bleeding the rear, the pedal seems to travel a bit more before biting properly. Do I need to also bleed the fronts or is there something else I could adjust? It never bit immediately in the first mm of travel like in some other cars, but seems like it got a bit worse.

I ended up getting rebuilds from rock auto. I couldn't get that bastard off either. I let someone else have that problem.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 4, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Update: Suspensions all sorts of hosed. Good news, it's not irreperably hosed. I need new tie rods and bushings all around. And I need to fix, uh, this.

It's missing the alignment ring welded to the LCA

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

drat, I'm going to have to check under mine to make sure I still have the half-moons. If I do, I think I'll add a couple more tacks.

e: after swapping the springs from end to end and dialing the damping all the way up, this car rides sharp as hell on track! Not breaking anything on race day has me very pleased.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Any tips for removing all my old rubber bushings on my '95? I just picked up a 20 ton hydraulic press and the energy poly master bushings kit so it shouldn't be too hard but just curious if someone else has done the job.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Fire.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone buy this drat car.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Would had that instead of my 99 if it was available when I bought. I just love how happy NA's look :3:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Jesus people, stop burning out bushings like total mouthbreathers. A ball joint press and an impact does it faster and doesn't make your neighborhood smell like a tire fire.

Make sure you have a collection of drifts and receiving tubes. Think of the load paths and don't bend up your control arms. IIRC the rear lowers are susceptible to it.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

um excuse me posted:

Someone buy this drat car.

100% STOCK except used to be a taxi and was repainted accordingly.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

Voltage posted:

Any tips for removing all my old rubber bushings on my '95? I just picked up a 20 ton hydraulic press and the energy poly master bushings kit so it shouldn't be too hard but just curious if someone else has done the job.

Heat gun!

Put a few hundred lbs on the bushings (I don't even think I hit 1 ton) then hit em with the heat gun and they'll slide right out.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

If any goons have a snugtop hardtop and can't find latch hardware, I've discovered who made it.
Eberhard draw latches

Here's a print

My top was missing one hook foot thingy. Now I gotta getty side strikers for the car itself.

E: mnet and their posters can be so useless. These tops have been around for 20 years and nobody could find the latch hardware. It took me 10 minutes with my wife to take off the top and another 10 to look up the word embossed upon the latches. :rolleye:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BloodBag posted:

I ended up getting rebuilds from rock auto. I couldn't get that bastard off either. I let someone else have that problem.
Update: I finally had the time to take the old calipers to a local shop and the guy easily took it off with a pneumatic impact wrench. He even refused to take any money even though I was more than happy to give him a few bucks for his 30 seconds.

Now, ugh, get the car back up again...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I somehow must have forgotten to torque down the two transmission PPF bolts when I did my clutch, because they both fuckin fell out. I have a wedding to go to 3 hours away this weekend and my wife is taking a trip to boston this week and the soonest I could get the bolts is Thursday :negative:

Now I gotta blow $500 to rent a car for the next few days :(

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Voltage posted:

I somehow must have forgotten to torque down the two transmission PPF bolts when I did my clutch, because they both fuckin fell out. I have a wedding to go to 3 hours away this weekend and my wife is taking a trip to boston this week and the soonest I could get the bolts is Thursday :negative:

Couldn't you just get some big fuckoff bolts from oreilly?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

BloodBag posted:

If any goons have a snugtop hardtop and can't find latch hardware, I've discovered who made it.

The hardtop I used to have was a Snugtop. I ditched those janky latches and made plates to bolt the top on. Those eberhard latches were never meant for the loads and connection points they were being used on.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

BloodBag posted:

Couldn't you just get some big fuckoff bolts from oreilly?

They are like a foot long. This is clearly a ratchet strap job.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I mean it drives ok just the shifter Bobs up and down, which is exactly what my old miata did, i wonder if it also had the same thing and i drove it like that for years :iiam:

UPDATE: made it without issue to my/the inlaws Poconos house/garage to switch it back out for my jetta, just saved myself a shitload of money , AND im much closer to the wedding here anyway :whatup:

Voltage fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 23, 2018

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Voltage posted:

You can always rent a cheaper car, it can't possibly be any less comfortable and luxurious than a miata :v:

If it makes you feel better, I forgot to properly torque my lugnuts when I was messing around with the brakes. Something started rattling horribly on a test drive but thankfully I pulled over and tightened them before anything fell off.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yeah Jesus go to enterprise and get a Nissan sentra or something, I recently rented a car in Texas and I think it was $80 for the like four days

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Unfortunately where i live even a Nissan versa is $100 a day.

Anyways i ended up avoiding all that and snagged my second car.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm not really in the market, but I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/mazda-miata-1995-very-special/6619911676.html

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Extremely solid deal for 6k imo, someone snatch that up betore he changes his mind.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lol

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The chrome is stupid but it seems to be in good shape, or maybe im just jaded frol sinking so much into my red 95 that still looks like poo poo.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Return to stock, get rediculous amounts for old hard to find aftermarket stuff, sell for $3000, profit

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm the

Wilwood front disc brakes - very expensive

on a street car that weighs 2100 pounds and can probably outbrake itself using Schwinn 10-speed calipers

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm the 6 auxiliary gauges (plus I assume RPM LED lights in the cluster!!) for the more or less stock engined car.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

How are you supposed to pull the tombstone if the eyeball vents aren't there anymore? I guess those two hidden screws didn't get reinstalled. I wonder if the wiring to all those gauges are done with twist&tape or what. He really did grab-bag almost every available mod onto that car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Miata prices in the UK are no less retarded than his asking price tbh. I paid £2k for my 'limited edition' Icon model from 2000 after getting £500 off asking. 40k on the clock, hard top, fresh rag top, two sets of rims, private plate rust free rails and immaculate. All the classifieds for dog rough equivalents are asking £3.5-4k. :wtc: