Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
That's just lazy as poo poo. I'm tired of these famous names coming back to an industry they are clearly out of touch on, and fleecing people of their money and trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I love it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part is the extended livestream of Lord British unenthusiastically signing physical maps for god knows how long that was this past week

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

He only logs in to shake his rear end for whales, but everything he says about the game is a super detached idea about what the game should have been in a perfect world. He drops in to give blood, but that's it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gynovore posted:

But... British raised 3 million from Kickstarter alone, and gawd knows how much more from :barf: selling his blood :barf: and whatever else... and he refused to spend 25K to hire a 3D modeler, using stock assets instead. There's definitely something shady going on.

for a lil perspective, everquest cost 4.7 million in adjusted dollars.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 4, 2020

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Texibus posted:

He probably just pays himself an absurd amount to be an officer of the company. Doesn't need to do anything shady.

Yeah, I'd bet it's this one. Because as I said upthread, the money really really didn't go anywhere else:

Modeling / Art Direction: Nope, they used lovely pre-made Unity assets everywhere. The textures look like a 3D (!!!) game from the early aughts. The art is a mess. Even the iconography is awful.
Development: Nope, the gameplay is rudimentary at best. The performance is downright embarrassing. Characters lag and stutter everywhere because they're trying to load in ten billion unity assets.
Animations: lol
Bug fixes: lol again
Marketing: They literally stated they didn't want to do marketing before launch (what?). So, not this one either.
Game Design: Nope, the gameplay is widely considered the worst thing about the game. It's just not fun at all. Nobody ever thought about how it would all stitch together.

So, where'd it go? Where did the twelve million bucks actually go?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when do i get my asherons call spiritual successor.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Groovelord Neato posted:

when do i get my asherons call spiritual successor.

project gorgon it's 40bux on steam

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Thursday Next posted:

Wait what? Twelve million? He raised 3M from Kickstarter, did he really get 9 mil for his blood?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thursday Next posted:

Yeah, I'd bet it's this one. Because as I said upthread, the money really really didn't go anywhere else:

Modeling / Art Direction: Nope, they used lovely pre-made Unity assets everywhere. The textures look like a 3D (!!!) game from the early aughts. The art is a mess. Even the iconography is awful.
Development: Nope, the gameplay is rudimentary at best. The performance is downright embarrassing. Characters lag and stutter everywhere because they're trying to load in ten billion unity assets.
Animations: lol
Bug fixes: lol again
Marketing: They literally stated they didn't want to do marketing before launch (what?). So, not this one either.
Game Design: Nope, the gameplay is widely considered the worst thing about the game. It's just not fun at all. Nobody ever thought about how it would all stitch together.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Percelus posted:

that game looks worse than ac.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Percelus posted:

Waiting for this to be out of Early Access first, but it looks very promising and is a true Asheron's Call successor from what i've seen.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Groovelord Neato posted:

that game looks worse than ac.

Looks bad, yes, but it’s good as poo poo

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Wait what? Twelve million? He raised 3M from Kickstarter, did he really get 9 mil for his blood?

He got 9 million from the monthly “telethons” that they still do, as well as from whales buying /pukeblood emotes and snowman dances. Their financials are available. We don’t know exactly how much cash was infused by other investors (Travian, Black Sun, etc).

The financial data shows they’re making $2,000 / day on cash ship items, and $250,000 / quarter on begging telethons. These do not appear to cover their operating expenses, however.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 18, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahahah he got twice what it cost to make eq and this is what the end result was. jesus christ.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Thursday Next posted:

He got 9 million from the monthly “telethons” that they still do, as well as from whales buying /pukeblood emotes and snowman dances. Their financials are available. We don’t know exactly how much cash was infused by other investors (Travian, Black Sun, etc).

Okay, there's definitely something not kosher going on. For a hundredth of what they raised, they could have hired three Full Sail grads as 3D modelers, texture artists, playtesters, whatever. They had more than enough money and time to make a quality game, but chose not to.

AngstPenguin
Oct 10, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Okay, there's definitely something not kosher going on. For a hundredth of what they raised, they could have hired three Full Sail grads as 3D modelers, texture artists, playtesters, whatever. They had more than enough money and time to make a quality game, but chose not to.

Chose not to or didn't know how. I honestly think they had no idea what they were getting into and instead of being resourceful and you know, researching this poo poo or hiring someone who had any experience in game studios in the past decade, they just stumbled forward because Garriott is the best game designer ever.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Someone post the picture of Garriott's face on an iPad riding around on a hoverboard menacing the office like some kind of gazer.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gildiss posted:

Someone post the picture of Garriott's face on an iPad riding around on a hoverboard menacing the office like some kind of gazer.

I have never heard of this and now I won't be able to sleep until I see it!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054021/Work-home-boss-keeps-staff-toes-robot-version-himself.html

there is also this version

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

here's the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp1ogNn3oNs

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
From the absurdly expensive cosplay wedding in France to the horrid robot boss that clearly makes employee uncomfortable, that video explains a whole lot about how this game turned out the way it did.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

It's hilarious how his entire attitude is "Ugh I'll do your stupid video game even though I'm a big astronaut man now" and it just bleeds contempt for the project.

Especially since he's just a tourist. It's like if I thought I was a filmmaker because I went through Universal Studios and rode all the rides.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 19, 2018

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

drat you, goons! Your conspiracy made this happen!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Lum making no mention of the game he was working on in his farewell Tweet is an amusing but of passive aggressiveness.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

CoffeeBooze posted:

Lum making no mention of the game he was working on in his farewell Tweet is an amusing but of passive aggressiveness.

What

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Of the game being good is what I suppose I meant.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Lum i'm glad you escaped I hope you find a good job

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

CoffeeBooze posted:

Of the game being good is what I suppose I meant.

Maybe even Lum isn't that crazy

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Stefan Prodan posted:

Lum i'm glad you escaped I hope you find a good job

He has only one offer.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ooooh look, Elves and Dwarves and Halflings and Clerics and Rangers and Wizards and...

They should just call this "Generic MMO #6343" and sell it in a white box with a bar code.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Lum ending up going to work for Brad seems oddly appropriate considering how his life has gone.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Lum if you really need to work for an 80/90s gaming star maybe the Harebrained guys have an opening and those games are good

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

They should have let Richard go, it's not like he's doing much.

Godspeed Lum.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

HungryMedusa posted:

Godspeed Lum.

this will sound like a joke but lord shitish actually wrote in the contract for SoTA that he owns the IP and the company has permission to use it for only as long as he is employed and in charge of the company

pretty sure the same abuse of his name is how he won the lawsuit against the tabula rasa guys and paid for his space ride

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

HungryMedusa posted:

Godspeed Lum.

:( Lum

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

extra stout posted:

this will sound like a joke but lord shitish actually wrote in the contract for SoTA that he owns the IP and the company has permission to use it for only as long as he is employed and in charge of the company

pretty sure the same abuse of his name is how he won the lawsuit against the tabula rasa guys and paid for his space ride

Lmao what a god drat turd

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solarin posted:

Lmao what a god drat turd

Sounds like a bit of a wizz with contract law TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

Good luck to you, Lum.

Please don't hitch your wagon to the very things you used to criticize. Next time, I mean.