Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I too go to the something awful forums because I actually wanted to go to Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pander posted:

I too go to the something awful forums because I actually wanted to go to Twitter.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

anthonypants posted:

I'm sorry if I don't treat you like you're a tiny child who needs to be explained everything first. This was my mistake, and I will do better.

:iceburn:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

anthonypants posted:

I'm sorry if I don't treat you like you're a tiny child who needs to be explained everything first. This was my mistake, and I will do better.
If it's the collective decision of Something Awful forums users that we want the forums to be a series of tweet links without any sort of discussion, then fine, but I feel like we can achieve something slightly better than just being twitter but with 0.000001% of the users.

twodot fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 17, 2018

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

twodot posted:

something slightly better

are you new around here or something?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Here’s the thing though: I am not wading through twitter to find poo poo. Literally the only tweets I ever see are embeds from SA or text messages from friends.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Here’s the thing though: I am not wading through twitter to find poo poo. Literally the only tweets I ever see are embeds from SA or text messages from friends.

Yep, I will never ever go on twitter outside what is posted indirectly here.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Twitter is good.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Agreed. Tweets won't even load on my phone unless I tell it to refresh first, and that is usually more effort than I want to put into someone's ego driven social media postings.

I think this might be a generational thing. I don't even have the Twitter or Facebook apps on my phone, but younger co-workers seem to get their news from them. I get my news from websites of print publications and public radio.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

twodot posted:

If it's the collective decision of Something Awful forums users that we want the forums to be a series of tweet links without any sort of discussion, then fine, but I feel like we can achieve something slightly better than just being twitter but with 0.000001% of the users.

was something stopping you from having a discussion about it or

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

This is more :qq: than anything else

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

This is more :qq: than anything else
I agree; "I'm not going to read any posts until someone tells me why I should care" is extremely :qq:, and I thank you for your support.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I agree; "I'm not going to read any posts until someone tells me why I should care" is extremely :qq:, and I thank you for your support.
I read your post, your post was an image preview of a dude sitting in a chair. You really need to not be surprised when people decide "Wow, I don't care at all about an image preview of a dude sitting in a chair".

Reene posted:

was something stopping you from having a discussion about it or
The thing stopping me from discussing a dude sitting in a chair is I feel like there isn't a lot to discuss about dudes sitting in chairs. Like I'm generally pro-sitting in chairs, but I don't think it's a major axis of my political beliefs.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Why is your refusal to seriously engage with material being presented to you everyone else's problem but yours?

Anyway I appreciate the heads up about such a severe sexual predator being back in the region, I'll be sure to let friends living in that area know.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Well I was glad he asked, because I couldn't see where the warning text was either.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

I get that it was a big feint to cover for the fact that he didn't know you could click on embedded tweets to expand them but "this news does not directly impact me therefore I am going to spend two pages making GBS threads on how it was delivered" is uhhh actually pretty much the exact kind of lovely self-centered posturing I expect from dudes in this area I guess.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Reene posted:

Why is your refusal to seriously engage with material being presented to you everyone else's problem but yours?
Fair point, I am actually extremely anti-backwards hats and it's a serious issue worthy of discussion, but I felt like the backwards hat issue wasn't very relevant to the Pacific Northwest thread.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Just keep doubling down on something that isn't even a fight. Not sure why you feel so threatened in this moment but nobody really cares that you don't understand Twitter and refuse to engage with it like you would any other link.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Wow this is fun. I hope you all never fix each other and that we are having this same meta conversation for the next ten years.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Schmeichy posted:

Well I was glad he asked, because I couldn't see where the warning text was either.

Same, I didn’t realize the embedded picture was cropped. The full text of the tweet was in the embedding so it didn’t seem like there was any context other than “remember this guy?” I didn’t see a reason to click since I thought all the relevant information was shown. Weird to shame people over a low effort zero context image.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I clicked the link and I still don’t know why it was posted here.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
News is reporting that there's a mass casualty incident in Tumwater at the Super Walmart.

gently caress

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/multiple-people-injured-in-shooting-at-tumwater-walmart/281-565164739

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I had to buy insulin at a Walmart for the first time in months last week. Glad I made it out alive. #america

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Walmart has the worst pharmacy I've ever dealt with.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Javid posted:

Walmart has the worst pharmacy I've ever dealt with.

They are the only pharmacy where you can purchase insulin without needing a prescription for less than 80 dollars, however.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
They do have better bottles and accessories they throw in than the place I usually use, too. Like the lids are reversible so you don't have to deal with the child safety bullshit if you don't want to.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

To everyone complaining about the link that was posted earlier: Search the guy's name and click the first link that comes up, and you'll learn that he used to be in the music scene in Seattle and left a few years ago after voluminous allegations of sexual assault, harassment, etc. Apparently he is back and started a dating profile acting like he's just some new guy in town, which is pretty sketchy.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

That's explained in the other link that was posted as well.

And here's another lovely tweet.

https://twitter.com/elliottyoungpdx/status/1008360133934526464

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Reene posted:

That's explained in the other link that was posted as well.

And here's another lovely tweet.

https://twitter.com/elliottyoungpdx/status/1008360133934526464

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If Portland gave the smallest of shits about the poor, they'd fluoridate the water.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. If Portland gave the smallest of shits about the poor, they'd fluoridate the water.
To be fair, the city did try to fluoridate the water, but the people who lived here wanted it to be put a vote, where they was voted down.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

To be fair, the city did try to fluoridate the water, but the people who lived here wanted it to be put a vote, where they was voted down.

God drat, that's awful.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

God drat, that's awful.
:yeah:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

God drat, that's awful.

I remember having a conversation with a friend who worked for a holistic dentist at the time (because that's a thing we need) who voted no based on their expert recommendation. Interestingly, they didn't even make any of the medical claims - their concerns amounted to 1) we have very good water and it would be a shame if the flavor was ruined, 2) that good water getting tainted would hurt our local brewers, and 3) if it's that important just move somewhere else so we can have our very good water.

Portland in a nutshell.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fluoride in the water means less cavities to fill for a dentist, obviously they'd want to vote that down.

Yes I know this is a Parks and Recreation reference.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The WalMart shooter was stopped by an armed citizen, so prepare to hear this statistical anomaly used over and over again by gun humpers until the end of time.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

DrNutt posted:

The WalMart shooter was stopped by an armed citizen, so prepare to hear this statistical anomaly used over and over again by gun humpers until the end of time.

edit: read the update on the situation, still seems stupid as gently caress.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 18, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

I remember having a conversation with a friend who worked for a holistic dentist at the time (because that's a thing we need) who voted no based on their expert recommendation. Interestingly, they didn't even make any of the medical claims - their concerns amounted to 1) we have very good water and it would be a shame if the flavor was ruined, 2) that good water getting tainted would hurt our local brewers, and 3) if it's that important just move somewhere else so we can have our very good water.

Portland in a nutshell.
We hate vaccines, too! http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1002578

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

xrunner posted:

Portland in a nutshell.

lol, Portland

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

Can you blame them? What, do you want the communists stealing our precious bodily fluids?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Peachfart posted:

lol, Portland

One of my college roomates made that exact same "poor businesses" argument.