Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Toe Bleeding KPI's. Noice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

hooman posted:

The guardian live blog is hilarious:
"Christopher Pyne is asked a dixer on, I don’t know, how much he hates unions, probably, but he starts with this:"

They are so done with this poo poo.

I've said it before but Amy is v good

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwQcZW1fMPM

Mark Humphries is pretty spot on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

BBJoey posted:

I've said it before but Amy is v good

I hope she doesn't burn out!

https://twitter.com/maxthelobbyist/status/1008632578142715904

I love tweets like this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
She also said she was unfazed by criticism from rivals such as The Australian, arguing 7.30 presenter Leigh Sales had more Twitter followers than that newspaper had readers - a claim hotly disputed by News Corp based on official readership figures.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

smh posted:

Internet providers ordered to block 15 torrent, streaming sites by Federal Court
Georgina Mitchell19 June 2018 — 2:22pm
Fifteen piracy websites will be blocked in Australia after the Federal Court gave the green light to Foxtel's latest bid to stop its shows being downloaded for free.

The pay TV company brought court action against Telstra, Optus, TPG and 46 other internet service providers (ISPs) in March, seeking to block access within Australia to the piracy sites which use 28 different addresses.

Foxtel said the sites – including 123hulu, HDO and ETTV – infringe on its copyright by offering free episodes of shows including Game of Thrones and prison drama Wentworth.

On Tuesday, Federal Court justice John Nicholas agreed, ordering the sites be blocked for a period of three years, after which Foxtel can apply to have the orders extended.

ISPs must take "reasonable steps to disable access" to the list of websites within 15 business days and redirect internet users to a page advising the site has been blocked because it facilitates copyright infringement.

Foxtel will pay the compliance costs of blocking the websites, calculated at $50 per domain name.

In his judgment, Justice Nicholas said each website appeared to be principally designed to provide copyrighted material free of charge, demonstrating a "flagrant disregard by the operators of the rights of copyright owners".

"The only persons likely to be interested in communicating with the target online locations are those who seek instant access to movies and television programs without having to pay for it," Justice Nicholas said.

The latest case comes after Foxtel and film studios successfully blocked Australian access to dozens of piracy sites including The Pirate Bay, Torrentz, IsoHunt and Putlocker in three cases in 2016 and 2017.

The 15 sites blocked on Tuesday are HDO, HDEuropix, 123Hulu, Watch32, Sockshare, NewEpisodes, 1Movies, 5Movies, WatchFreeMovies, SeriesTop, ETTV, MagnetDL, Torrent Download, Torrent Room and Torrents.

In a Federal Court hearing on Monday, Foxtel's barrister Justine Beaumont said blocking the sites was a "continual game of catch-up".

The newest batch of blocked sites includes torrent providers, streaming services and proxy sites which allow users to access other sites which were previously blocked.

Virgin, AAPT and Telstra previously filed documents with the court to indicate they do not contest the orders sought.

In a statement, a Foxtel spokesperson said the blocked sites "enable people to illegally stream shows like Wentworth, A Place to Call Home, Picnic at Hanging Rock and more, depriving everyone involved in the production of these programs from being properly rewarded for their efforts in creating them".

These old media monopolies can’t seem to catch a break!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TheMightyHandful posted:

These old media monopolies can’t seem to catch a break!

poo poo, can I pay fifty bucks to block a website? I feel like that'd be worth it for the Australian.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Lol I forgot they blocked the pirate bay because it took about 7 seconds to circumvent by switching to Google DNS

muel
Jan 19, 2001

Steak knife - say goodbye to your brain
I don't actually watch Channel 7 news, but i'm subjected to a lot of their preview headlines when watching The Chase.

"Children left in tears as refugee protestors storm state parliament" - close up of white Australian kid's tears.

Nevermind the tears of actual refugeee children who have parents locked up in off-shore prisons.

oh, and everybody is described as a thug, union thugs, gutless thugs, thugs thugs thugs.

Channel 7 Nightly Thug News.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Those poor kids, their trip to Parliament House was RUINED I bet that one kid everyone hates is fuckin devastated

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Public tracker using peasants deserve to be blocked.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

muel posted:

I don't actually watch Channel 7 news, but i'm subjected to a lot of their preview headlines when watching The Chase.

"Children left in tears as refugee protestors storm state parliament" - close up of white Australian kid's tears.

Nevermind the tears of actual refugeee children who have parents locked up in off-shore prisons.

oh, and everybody is described as a thug, union thugs, gutless thugs, thugs thugs thugs.

Channel 7 Nightly Thug News.

Channel 7 is straight a propaganda channel. I wonder what kind of sweet deal Murdoch cut them for his junk when he didn't get channel 10.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Rupert hasn't been seen in public in months and the only supposed contact was an email actually sent by one of his reps, someone else is making those decisions imo

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

muel posted:

9 went one further and didn't mention what the protest was about.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

quote:

“The trouble with Pauline Hanson is she’s looking for three senators with lower IQs than her – it’s an impossible task,” Mr Palmer told Fairfax Media.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I think mocking Hanson's funny, but I can't find Palmer mocking Hanson funny

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/clive-palmer-and-the-media

quote:

On Sunrise Palmer claimed he had a 70% approval rating in the "seat of Townsville". In reality, the poll was asking the population of Townsville if the nickel refinery in the area should be reopened.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I was gonna say he should sign up.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Things Clive Palmer should do before he runs for parliament again:

1. Pay his workers
2. Kill himself

Then he can go down in history as a selfish, delusional piece of poo poo that gamed the system for his own benefit.

Only months ago we was feigning illness and incapacity and now he’s launching his own party. What a total prick.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Over the next three years, interest-only loans worth a combined total of about $360 billion will roll over to interest plus principal — and that means borrowers will face higher repayments. So if you're looking to buy, hold off for a few years if you can.

Also lolling at

Aunty posted:

For Queensland farm manager Hugh Mackey, 61, the switch to interest-plus-principal repayments may prove too much.

He and his wife tried to build a retirement nest egg, buying two investment properties in the coal mining town of Blackwater in 2008, financed by almost half a million dollars in interest-only loans with ANZ.

"I'm not sure I can retire at 65 the way things are going now," he said.

He is yet to speak to his bank.

"If it gets serious and ugly, I presume they can probably bankrupt me," he said.

Because it's not like that's something you'd want to be sure about before you sign the contract. These. These are the people I have very little sympathy and absolutely no patience for.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Palmer is doing the thankless task of splitting the brainworm vote

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Buying a long-term investment in a town based on an expendable resource seems unwise to me?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

BBJoey posted:

Buying a long-term investment in a town based on an expendable resource seems unwise to me?

Yeah, I feel like having half a million bucks in housing over the past ten years should have achieved considerable capital gains if you'd bought somewhere even half way sensible.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Channel 7 is straight a propaganda channel. I wonder what kind of sweet deal Murdoch cut them for his junk when he didn't get channel 10.

Why the hell do people assume that Murdoch is the only right wing nut job media mogul in town? He's not even the most dangerous to Australians, he's just the loudest and most blatant.

Kerry Stokes (owner of 7West) is one of the Liberal Party's most generous benefactors, which makes him a true believer, not just a capitalist trading favours for favours. He owns both newspapers in WA now, which is terrifying. Tradies and boomers love his network because it literally only caters for tradie and boomer values, so you end up with intergenerational loyalties that are hard to break. Also Home and Away which is like bogan crack.

He not only gave Pauline Hanson free air time in the lead up to 2016 but he PAID her for it, because he knows she's exactly what the libs need to take the focus off their own dysfunctional right faction.

There are men like him around the world. The Daily Mail is arguably as bad and chaired by a damned Viscount. If you want a real horror show, look into Sinclair media. They have been systematically buying out every regional tv and radio network in America and running hourly pro-Republican ads, with news networks running a pre-written narrative based on the same sort of talking points Fox News tend to favour.

So yeah, Rupes is not the only game in town, his empire is starting to collapse, but there are equally dangerous successors waiting to pick at the bones.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

#notallmediaproprieters

Sure but Rupe is on a different scale to those guys, the concentration of his influence is unique. Stokes has to mind his pennies a bit more than Rupe too, but he does get to fly under the radar, you're right there, and it's very interesting that his push behind Hanson is generally ignored.

It's possible that someone achieves Murdoch's reach but long-term it seems unlikely given the way the media landscape has changed and the boomer base it has depended on. But his legacy will definitely last for quite a while, there are some painful lessons to be relearned in a generation or two, there'll just be a more diverse bunch of bastards to deal with who will probably not be able to lose so much money on media that can't deliver profits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*looks at the news*

Pfft, we were breaking up families before it was cool.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Synthbuttrange posted:

*looks at the news*

And the Democrats there seem to have it all wrong. They’re supposed to rush in and let everyone know that they’ll do it too.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

*looks at the news*

Those idiots actually let people get footage of it too. Amateurs

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
do we keep the children and deport the parents as a deterrent yet cause if we haven't the americans have passed us in border security tech

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

EoinCannon posted:

Those idiots actually let people get footage of it too. Amateurs

They promoted that footage

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

Turnbull: Okay, I will explain why. It is not because they are bad people. It is because in order to stop people smugglers, we had to deprive them of the product. So we said if you try to come to Australia by boat, even if we think you are the best person in the world, even if you are a Nobel Prize-winning genius, we will not let you in. Because the problem with the people —

Trump: That is a good idea. We should do that too. You are worse than I am.

Turnbull: This is our experience.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/20/telstra-to-cut-8000-jobs-in-major-restructure

quote:

Telstra has announced plans to cut 8,000 jobs in a major restructure.

It plans to split its infrastructure assets into a new wholly owned business unit in preparation for a potential demerger, or the entry of a strategic investor, in a post-national broadband network rollout world. The new business unit will be called InfraCo.

The company says it will abolish one in four executive and middle management roles to flatten its structure.

The share market was informed of Telstra’s plans on Wednesday morning before the market opened.

Andrew Penn, Telstra’s chief executive, said the strategy would fundamentally change the nature of telecommunication products and services in Australia by eliminating “pain points” for customers.

“The rate and pace of change in our industry is increasingly driven by technological innovation and competition,” he said.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Who needs the UNHRC anyway?

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Also on the ABC website:

House price debate goes from if they'll fall to by how much

quote:

But Macquarie's analysts do still see one major risk that could transform a moderate correction into a more severe price fall.

"If households were to lose faith in housing markets, given current elevated prices (particularly in Sydney), the demand for credit (particularly by investors) could fall more than we currently expect," they warned.

"The main thing to fear for Australian housing is fear itself."

For those who have been warning of an Australian housing bubble (myself included) this is a clear sign we are in one.

If the market was not irrationally overvalued, there would be plenty of cashed-up value investors, not to mention would-be owner-occupiers, to step in and buy as prices fell.

But if the main thing holding up demand and prices for expensive homes in Sydney and Melbourne is a belief that a large price fall is not possible, then you are firmly in bubble territory.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

starkebn posted:

Who needs the UNHRC anyway?

The toothlessness of the UN fills me with a profound sadness.

There was a time that countries ignoring the UN or the UNHRC would receive condemnation from the West, and now it's us who are doing it :smith:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The composition on this photo my mate took is absolutely :discourse:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Is that just copy pasted from some American nonsense? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say god bless Australia, or salute the flag.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Zenithe posted:

Is that just copy pasted from some American nonsense? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say god bless Australia, or salute the flag.

I've only ever seen saluting the flag from anyone on ANZAC day when you march past it. Literally no one has even said "God Save Australia"

Also I'm sure you're correct I swear I've seen that exact same thing in American pictures.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Zenithe posted:

Probably. More importantly it's framed by him selling his business (only after 1pm, please), a big Aussie flag and Al Bundy on the telly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Zenithe posted:

IN GOD WE TRUST gives it away

And yeah, the standing for the anthem thing, that's NFL