Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Here, cleanse your palate:

https://twitter.com/PPVSRB/status/1008694074839363584

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah I don't get miner jumping in now. At all

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that's not a palate cleanser, that's another reason to be pissed off when Cuomo cruises in the primary, and that's looking very likely right now. i wouldn't have had a problem supporting Miner in the primary, she seems reasonably progressive, and having political experience goes a longer way in NY than we're willing to admit itt

as good as Nixon is on the issues, she's a protest candidate at her core, and that isn't going to fly well here because our electorate is stupid

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

So are we looking at a 4 way race, with Miner as an independent and Nixon on the wfp line?

Admittedly I haven't done a rigorous analysis here, but couldn't this split the democratic/left wing vote such that Molinaro has a chance at winning?

Or does cuomo still win handily (barfs)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Glambags posted:

this. just like experience in politics, having a D after your name counts more than any of us would like to admit. we're like Texas but for automatically voting in Democrats instead of Republicans, and good Democrats don't make the cut here

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Yeah that figures, I've seen local races upstate where the democrat actually won because you had different people on the republican, conservative, and independence party lines (sometimes the right to life party was in there but I think that's now defunct) and the right wing vote was split. Seems less likely to happen statewide

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Glambags posted:

So are we looking at a 4 way race, with Miner as an independent and Nixon on the wfp line?

Admittedly I haven't done a rigorous analysis here, but couldn't this split the democratic/left wing vote such that Molinaro has a chance at winning?

Do you want Molinaro to win? Because turns out that the people running Miner might!

quote:

Leadership of the newly founded political party backing Stephanie Miner’s run for governor has ties to national Republicans, but its leaders say they are not in any way intending to help the candidacy of Republican gubernatorial candidate Marc Molinaro.

Miner announced Monday morning in the New York Times that she would run for governor on a new, independently created ballot line, the Serve America Movement party (SAM).
According to SAM’s website, its “CEO and director” is Sarah Lenti, who worked under former National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice in President George W. Bush’s administration.

The “chief strategist” for the group is Reed Galen, a political consultant who has written for Breitbart, and worked for George W. Bush and on three presidential campaigns.

They deny it, of course:

quote:

Galen said the idea that Miner’s candidacy would help Molinaro is a “huge assumption” that “completely discounts that there are nearly 2.4 million independent/blank voters” in New York, or almost as many as the Republicans have.

:thunk:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
there's still a ways to go until September. I'm not ruling Cynthia out yet.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

there's still a ways to go until September. I'm not ruling Cynthia out yet.
i admire and laugh at your optimism at the same time

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

God drat it new york sucks rear end

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

get that OUT of my face posted:

i admire and laugh at your optimism at the same time

Alexandria has given me hope.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Do you want Molinaro to win? Because turns out that the people running Miner might!

They deny it, of course:

:thunk:

The real playbook here, for those trying to follow along from home, is to file a legal challenge to keep Nixon on the WFP ballot line after she loses the D primary (there’s a bad, but not completely awful, argument that the usual maneuver for replacing her on the line after she loses the D primary won’t work because she’s not already an elected official or some such.)

That turns an easy d win, even if it is Governor Ratfucker cruising to re-election, into a four ring circus where Molinaro can squeak out a victory

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

my mom the mario cuomo groupie upon crossing the governor mario cuomo bridge yesterday: "Mr. Cuomo always wanted rail over this bridge and for his son to say its too expensive to do rail and then put his name on it must have him spinning in his grave"

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Hell Yeah mom.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

my mom the mario cuomo groupie upon crossing the governor mario cuomo bridge yesterday: "Mr. Cuomo always wanted rail over this bridge and for his son to say its too expensive to do rail and then put his name on it must have him spinning in his grave"

We found out how to meet our renewable energy goals by 2020!

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

The real playbook here, for those trying to follow along from home, is to file a legal challenge to keep Nixon on the WFP ballot line after she loses the D primary (there’s a bad, but not completely awful, argument that the usual maneuver for replacing her on the line after she loses the D primary won’t work because she’s not already an elected official or some such.)

That turns an easy d win, even if it is Governor Ratfucker cruising to re-election, into a four ring circus where Molinaro can squeak out a victory

Why would anyone need to file a challenge to keep Nixon on the wfp line? Didn't she win the wfp nomination?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Look at this nonsense from guess who

quote:

On June 7, a new student-led coalition called CURB (Children United to Rein In Breakneck Driving) rallied outside Governor Cuomo’s office in Midtown to urge state lawmakers to approve legislation to double the number of speed cameras outside the city’s schools.

Right now, there are speed cameras outside 140 school zones across the city, and the Assembly-backed bill would double the eligible school zones to 290 to cover more than 10 percent of the city’s schools over all.

But the bill is being held up by Senate Republicans — and in particular, Brooklyn’s Simcha Felder, who has refused to let the bill out of committee unless his proposal of putting a police officer at every school is also passed.

If the bill does not get approved before the legislative session ends this week, not only would the city not get to add new cameras, but existing cameras would go dark.

http://thevillager.com/2018/06/18/kids-call-for-more-speed-cameras-near-schools/

Getting kids killed to own the libs I guess.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Glambags posted:

Why would anyone need to file a challenge to keep Nixon on the wfp line? Didn't she win the wfp nomination?

SOP, which WFP have indicated they probably intend to follow, is to change the nomination after the democratic primary if Nixon loses. If they don’t, quite frankly, it’d be the death of the party. Their guaranteed ballot access is contingent on getting 5% in November which they do through fusion access.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

SOP, which WFP have indicated they probably intend to follow, is to change the nomination after the democratic primary if Nixon loses. If they don’t, quite frankly, it’d be the death of the party. Their guaranteed ballot access is contingent on getting 5% in November which they do through fusion access.

Hmm I see. Thanks for the explainer.

New York politics is very cool.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Glambags posted:

Hmm I see. Thanks for the explainer.

New York politics is very cool.

Fusion balloting for all of its quirks, is IMO, unironically one of the truly good things about NY politics.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shageletic posted:

Look at this nonsense from guess who

http://thevillager.com/2018/06/18/kids-call-for-more-speed-cameras-near-schools/

Getting kids killed to own the libs I guess.

Speed Camera's are trash policy, whose primary purpose is to raise revenue for well-connected business owners.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Fusion balloting for all of its quirks, is IMO, unironically one of the truly good things about NY politics.

No I get why it exists and see its utility, but fuckin cuomo man

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Speed Camera's are trash policy, whose primary purpose is to raise revenue for well-connected business owners.
I support any measure which makes it less pleasant to drive here.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

We currently have speed safety cameras in just 140 school zones, or about 7% of the city's schools. By law they operate only during school hours (not early mornings, nights, or weekends when children of all ages often use school-adjacent facilities), and can only be placed along a narrow section of road touching the exit of a school. These restrictions have been imposed by our elected officials in Albany.

But still, this tiny number of cameras has led to a 63% drop in speeding violations in the locations where they've been positioned. This has resulted in a 23% drop in pedestrian crash injuries at those locations and, critically, 81% of vehicle owners ticketed do not receive a second violation at the same location. And importantly, neither race, age, gender of the driver, nor make of the car affects who is ticketed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/speed-cameras-save-lives-article-1.3892394

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Glambags posted:

No I get why it exists and see its utility, but fuckin cuomo man

In this case it’s not a fuckin’ Cuomo situation, and you’ve gotta reach real hard to see it as one

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I mean I can agree with that, but in that case literally close the roads to cars in manhattan. Connect the bridges, close all the exit's from the FDR/West Side highway, and remove cars from the island.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

In this case it’s not a fuckin’ Cuomo situation, and you’ve gotta reach real hard to see it as one

I don't want to see him on the wfp line, is that not what you were suggesting would happen?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I mean I can agree with that, but in that case literally close the roads to cars in manhattan. Connect the bridges, close all the exit's from the FDR/West Side highway, and remove cars from the island.
*shrug* you have my vote but we're doing realpolitik up in here

shipping and receiving is the complicated part

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Wow, hope that CURB (Children United to Rein In Breakneck Driving) and the Coalition of the Shafted stick around in the years to come, their names are too good and just so perfectly capture the spirit of NY State Politics.

True.

But, also:

Same.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

*shrug* you have my vote but we're doing realpolitik up in here

shipping and receiving is the complicated part

Commercial traffic only, designate certain hours, expand bus service through the newly unleashed streets

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Accident Underwater posted:

Commercial traffic only, designate certain hours, expand bus service through the newly unleashed streets
Only some avenues should even allow this though, and we should lease space for walk-up businesses in the center of some avenues so that there are entrenched business interests who will oppose the measure's repeal.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

while we are wishlisting, death penalty for leaving dog poo poo on the ground

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Is this the dog owner or the property owner whose sidewalk is in front of who gets executed? (It better not be the fuckin' dog.) If the former, do note that not every dog is a slave and we still need to handle their poops.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

who would kill a dog?

also property owners are already dead in my head canon

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Property owners aren't dead, but they are extinct.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Glambags posted:

I don't want to see him on the wfp line, is that not what you were suggesting would happen?

It is, but the whole point of him being on the WFP line is that it’s a mechanism to send him a message without potentially backdooring in a Molinaro Win. It’s the whole point of fusion balloting.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The message loses its bite if there's no risk of ever losing the endorsement though, tbh.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GalacticAcid posted:

The message loses its bite if there's no risk of ever losing the endorsement though, tbh.

Debatable, but, more importantly, i’m willing to accept losing the ability to make that message a threat in one race (for Governor) to keep the ability to use that line as a threat in every other race.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The problem is that it's always that race, and that it's a way of losing ballot access/prominence for completely bullshit reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Real hurthling! posted:

while we are wishlisting, death penalty for leaving dog poo poo on the ground

Confession time: About 10 years ago I was walking my dog in the city and he had diarrhea. I didn't know what to do since you can't pick up a liquid puddle with a doggie bag. I think I just stared at it for a while and walked away when I thought no one was looking.

:negative: