Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Truga posted:

that's a false equivalence

Okay so, with how this game handles gear, how do you think Crafted Current Savage IL gear would work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Man,

who the gently caress cares

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
First of all, by not having poo poo stats on gear. I know, expecting a MMO to do better is futile, so how about "how do you handle your savage and tome gear having poo poo stats currently?"

You just deal with it, and that option still exists.

Also I never said I want to craft savage gear, I just want bound gear to be gone from the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Truga posted:

First of all, by not having poo poo stats on gear. I know, expecting a MMO to do better is futile, so how about "how do you handle your savage and tome gear having poo poo stats currently?"

You just deal with it, and that option still exists.

Also I never said I want to craft savage gear, I just want bound gear to be gone from the game.

You were explicitly talking about someone not liking crafted gear being endgame cause it means if you're not constantly crafting or doing money making decisions you just kinda would get screwed.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why? You can still grind savage for gear like you can now. You could also trade for it if it wasn't bound, and that's completely off the table currently.

e: I also never said anything about crafting and endgame.

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 19, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think crafted gear in this game could afford to be a bit better if only because it feels super sad to see your incoming coming from other crafters because no one really cares about the combat gear.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Aren't some of the i360 accessories included in some of the current BiS builds? Also, an i360 crafted weapon is the easiest way to get a weapon that can basically do any content you need currently.

Min/Maxing stats in this game is kind of useless outside of progression, if you're not clearing content it's not because there's spell speed on your hat instead of crit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly it doesn't matter that much. Crafting in itself is pretty fun if the process of gathering poo poo and maxing out byregot strikes your fancy, it'd be better if you could sell your poo poo to players doing dungeons, but as it is you mostly only sell it to other crafters/gatherers.

If anything, making combat gear should be easier and/or cheaper, so people could buy poo poo off of MB when they hit 70. With less dungeons, there's a lot less opportunity for free tomes for newbies after all.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
edit: nm, early morning reading comprehension issues

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ouhei posted:

Min/Maxing stats in this game is kind of useless outside of progression, if you're not clearing content it's not because there's spell speed on your hat instead of crit.

While this is true a lot of people's primary motivator is the skinner box of getting better gear whether they admit it to themselves or not.

Although this didn't seem as much of an issue for me in FFXIV players as it was in WoW.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I really loving hate getting a ton of spell speed on my gear I have literaly zero use for and will go out of my way to avoid it, to the point of clearing savage content in pf if I have to.

I wish they just let me choose which stats I want for my character like in literally every other game grenre, but I guess that's too complicated for the mmo audience these days. :sigh:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm gay and love the aniki tribe around the dawn throne

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Truga posted:

I really loving hate getting a ton of spell speed on my gear I have literaly zero use for and will go out of my way to avoid it, to the point of clearing savage content in pf if I have to.

I wish they just let me choose which stats I want for my character like in literally every other game grenre, but I guess that's too complicated for the mmo audience these days. :sigh:

The monkey paw curls a finger inward. A plan to introduce crafted gear with customizable base stats is announced. Komoto is placed in charge of the customization system.

I think City of Heroes was the only MMO I've played where your could go crazy with stat customization and still find viable builds even if you ran way off the reservation. I suspect most publishers are terrified of giving people too many options, not just from the standpoint of the balancing nightmare, but out of fear that players will either gimp themselves terribly or feel overwhelmed and then leave. And even if they do give you freedom to do anything, nerds will still math out the One True Build anyway and everybody who doesn't adhere to it is a loser.

MMOs are just kind or weird and fucky, man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

I thought their main problem was that they were way too heterosexual?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

It would be cool if dungeon and 24 man gear became tradeable when it is no longer current content. Crafted gear being BIS can gently caress right off, though. Tank accessories are already like that and it's awful.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
If you're actually upset that crafted accessories (and therefore huge amounts of strength) are the best for tanks, you need to make more crafter friends. I couldn't construct my way out of a paper bag, but I know a dozen different people that will shower me in rings if I throw enough materials at them.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought their main problem was that they were way too heterosexual?

Not the yellow clothed ones, the blue dudes.

quote:

Buduga: An all-male tribe which only increases its ranks through battle and kidnapping.

They're the dudes who come and ask for hien in exchange for trade concessions in the second doman enclave cutscene

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ouhei posted:

Aren't some of the i360 accessories included in some of the current BiS builds? Also, an i360 crafted weapon is the easiest way to get a weapon that can basically do any content you need currently.

Might be different for other classes but I know Samurai (and presumably Monk)'s BiS right side is all either augmented Mendacity gear or O5S accessory drops. In fact thats basically exclusively across the board for the BiS gear I've looked at. It's either all augmented Mendacity Gear or the Savage drops.

I don't have an opinion on bound gear in that I dont really think its that much of an issue and most of the stuff you cant trade/sell is actually proper rare unless you're grinding old dungeons for glamour.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So is Magnai's Au Ra buddy in the MSQ cutscene a Buduga he conscripted? Because that guy seemed really into Hien.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Crafted accessories being tier bis is actually really good cause there's like 25 of them, they only come from the first floor of the tier where you get two RNG offerings weekly, they cost 4 pages to buy when it really should just be two, and theres the very unlikely but still possible chance there may come a day where you need to fill out possibly 5 slots with all dropped accessories and that is an absolutely terrible thought.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kitfox88 posted:

If only most of their members weren't complete assholes.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So is Magnai's Au Ra buddy in the MSQ cutscene a Buduga he conscripted? Because that guy seemed really into Hien.

They have an alliance.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Confession: I had to politely ask a healer to stop DPSing so much and heal me (after she let me die 2-3 times last night because she was just spamming Holy) and I feel dirty and wrong ever asking a healer to DPS less. :smith:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Just imagine that they were acting out after being told to DPS more, and now feel justified in believing that honest healing is the best healing.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The.Goldilocks zone of "casts Holy a bunch but also the tank doesn't die" tends to move back and forth depending on how good the tank is, and as a result some people make no effort to find it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Just imagine that they were acting out after being told to DPS more, and now feel justified in believing that honest healing is the best healing.

You either die a sicko, or live long enough to see yourself become honest.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Truga posted:

That's loving stupid.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Still no healer top yet. Also too many pf sellers on aether.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean, who isn't really into Hien at this point?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Speaking of dragon people, has anybody actually figured out yet where dotharl cloth to craft the Sadu minion comes from? It looks like it's notrade so it'd be weird for it to be a drop from hidden canals. If it's been posted online I may be bad at looking in the right places.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of dragon people, has anybody actually figured out yet where dotharl cloth to craft the Sadu minion comes from? It looks like it's notrade so it'd be weird for it to be a drop from hidden canals. If it's been posted online I may be bad at looking in the right places.

Data miners think a shop will open up in the Doman Enclave when you get the second reconstruction achievement. That hasn't happened yet, but the cutscenes this week seem to indicate the reconstruction is almost done, so it seems likely it'll unlock next week.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Old gear should remove trade restrictions so people can have an easier time playing dress-up but current gear (lighthouse gear, tomestone gear, sigma gear, and savage gear) shouldn't

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Truga posted:

No, it means it's the *only* way.

"I don't like crafting, therefore this is good"

What the gently caress does bound gear even have to do with crafting

If you can buy bis gear because savage drops are tradeable, then the best way to get your gear is to farm money instead of playing the actual real game, which is dumb

Mostly pointless drops like dungeon stuff being tradeable wouldn't really matter and the price would probably settle around the average value of the desynth

e: to clarify a bit, while crafted and bound are wrapped up in this game (and I think most modern MMOs?) there's no reason they have to be. You could have bound crafted gear or unbound uncrafted gear. My only argument is that the gear people are chasing should be obtainable through playing the game, not through side activities, and being bound is part of that.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 19, 2018

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Not to be crass but the only thing to do with the making GBS threads gear is play the game so who even cares?

It'd be nice to be able to buy some obscure dungeon drops for glamour, otherwise I don't get the fuss.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Jose Valasquez posted:

Old gear should remove trade restrictions so people can have an easier time playing dress-up but current gear (lighthouse gear, tomestone gear, sigma gear, and savage gear) shouldn't

I'm 1000% down for this.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Shere posted:

Not to be crass but the only thing to do with the making GBS threads gear is play the game so who even cares?

It'd be nice to be able to buy some obscure dungeon drops for glamour, otherwise I don't get the fuss.

Honestly they should really just bump the guaranteed loot at the end rules up to be universal for all roulettable instances and apply only to left side pieces. Getting full sets of their gear from dungeons over the course of 5 runs isn't going to stop people from queuing for roulettes. Personally, I'll just continue to do what I do and convert the rewards to seals anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The stated reason for the guaranteed drops in 51-59 and 61-69 dungeons is because you won't be running them much compared to level cap dungeons

But uh I gotta say it's been months since I ran a level 50 or 60 dungeon, or any of the early stormblood dungeons. If that logic is the real reason, it should be a feature of every dungeon except the current expert roulette dungeons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Alternative Monkey's Paw curling on customization: the Novus Relic step. For all of your gear.

Thundarr posted:

And even if they do give you freedom to do anything, nerds will still math out the One True Build anyway and everybody who doesn't adhere to it is a loser.

This is half of the problem. It's really, really, really hard to have lots of meaningful choices. The meaning gets diluted the more choices you add. Which is why most recent MMO's nowadays with customizable stats generally stick to the 'doing your thing harder, critting harder, doing things faster' model (in FFXIV terms: focusing Det, focusing Crit, focusing speed.) Even that tends to get mathed into 'Optimal Builds' by people. I mean, Damage is a formula after all. It can be solved for. The only way FFXIV can make 'sub' tiers of gear (two items of equal ilvl, one 'better' than the other) is by messing with the substats on them.

The other half is the inevitable conflict between players and devs on how fast content is completed. Player's typically want to complete content as fast as possible, while dev's want their content to last for awhile. Limiting access to gear and making it's acquisition random is extending the life of the content. Unbinding gear allows it to be acquired easier (due to players being able to trade/market it) but the content life would suffer since people could just market mogul their way to the rewards without doing the content.

It's not perfect (RNG proofing drops to be relevant to the classes present is an idea worth exploring IE: You have a tank, healer and two casters, so you only see tank, healer and caster gear) but it's a problem they have been looking at, judging by how they upped the drops from EXDR to 2 items per boss chest and 1-2 per extra chest.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

It won't even take like Nerds mathing it out. It's pretty obvious what substats are good for your class by just kind of knowing what your class does. Spell Speed (especially before this current patch) was a mostly bad past a very small minimum on AST because your class is about weaving poo poo between casts. Similarly, BRD really really Wants Crit all day all night because their class gimmick is based on DoT ticks criting. WAR's bezerk/IR guarantees True Crits so Crit is your A #1 stat because it increases the size of the crits.

Basically unless they start introducing skill tress with split abilities there's kind of just the one stat spread any one class wants and it's usually pretty easy to figure out. There's not a lot of space meaningful choice in gear unless they drastically changed how classes and combat work.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
To each their own - IME the 50/60 DR is a solid source of newbie bonuses for Poetics/WT and Creation tomes for crafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
https://twinfinite.net/2018/06/ffxiv-e3-2018-interview

Yoship himself confirming that Eureka is indeed killing ffxiv.