Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

bamhand posted:

Oh dang, I guess I was thinking of the skeletal mage ring that is available at level 1.

Also I did not know this ring existed, literally never seen it in my life:
https://us.diablo3.com/en/item/briggs-wrath-P6_Unique_Ring_02

That's a fun ring that I used in a ghetto blood spear build last season while I was farming up the skellie mage pet build. I used it to group up enemies together then blow them apart with one spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I've been out of the loop since the first 6 months of the original release. Didn't love the game at the time, AH and loot felt not great. I keep reading though that Diablo 3 in 2018 is amazing and totally different. Is it worth trying again, or is that just marketing? Anybody else got fed up of the original implementation and got sucked in on a post-patch second try?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That was like 15 years ago or whatever lol

Do you own Reaper of Souls?

Diablo is good and Season 14 just started so literally everybody is as new as you are at the moment!

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That was like 15 years ago or whatever lol

Do you own Reaper of Souls?

Diablo is good and Season 14 just started so literally everybody is as new as you are at the moment!

Lol yes...

I don't, but I don't mind getting it, the reviews seem really good. Wouldn't mind trying the necro either, that was my favorite class in D2.

How does the seasons system affect gameplay? I'm not really trying to be the most badass D3 player at the top of the leaderboard. I'm mostly loving around in whatever spare time I have. Can I mostly ignore the concept of seasons?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A season is a 3 month period where you must create a brand new level 1 character with no gold, no items, no nothing. Fresh and brand new.

There's a multi chapter book of objectives for the season

To boost your power, you receive a class specific reward for finishing a few of the early chapters of your season objective book

After 3 months, the season ends, your character becomes a NonSeasonal character, and the cycle repeats.

I would estimate that seasons have about 95% of the game population, and the reward will boost your power by the equivalent of like 30+ hours of play time.

I'm not sure what you mean by Ignore the concept of seasons. Just make a new (seasonal) character and play the game as you normally would. Game play is identical inside and out of seasonal mode. The only reason to make a NonSeasonal mode would be if you want to absolutely guarantee that you won't do any multi-player and to relive the early Diablo days of L o o o o n G grinds for your first powerful item

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Didn't know that, sounds worth at the very least trying then, thanks for the details.

It's sort of reminiscent of how in WoW your first playthrough was slower and you could really stop to smell the flowers and enjoy the scenery. Every single character after your first was just you poopsocking to get to 70 (or whatever max level du jour) whatever fastest way possible.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Seasons are generally regarded as one of the best features added to d3, and they specifically benefit people like you who are effectively new to the game and wouldn't be able to play well with people that have thousands of hours of loot and xp behind them.

Step 1 of the journey is "get to level 70", so it's a nice slow reintroduction!

I don't want to overwhelm you with info, but if you do make a seasonal character, let me know, and I'll give you at least one price of advice that will benefit you a lot

Hint: DON'T play "Challenge Rift Mode" yet!

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Makes sense! Thank you.

Also, probably best I don't do hardcode mode just yet? I like the extra motivation not to die, but I also remember dying in the old D3 A LOT, so it might be not a great match for me if I'm not a pro at it yet.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DreadCthulhu posted:

Makes sense! Thank you.

Also, probably best I don't do hardcode mode just yet? I like the extra motivation not to die, but I also remember dying in the old D3 A LOT, so it might be not a great match for me if I'm not a pro at it yet.

I am a Hardcore player myself :getin:

Up to you!! Depending on which class you play, you might unlock your "cheat death" passive skill early on, which takes a lot of the risk away.

I guess I personally wouldn't recommend it since you're coming back from a long absence, but I'd certainly think it was cool and rad if you did

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Get RoS, wait on the necro. It isn't anything like D2 necro and just ok IMO (D2 necro was my favorite as well, just play witch doctor :v:). Also think of seasons like ladder resets from D2, but you get a rotating 6 piece set each season for completing some objectives.

The game is a lot easier now, but I still wouldn't play HC if I were you.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I'd play softcore for a bit so you can identify situations that are a threat to you. Or you can say gently caress it and just get in there. We live, we die, we live again

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Make a seasonal Barbarian.

Kill all the things with giant fuckoff weapons while he yells the best lines in the game.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Get RoS, wait on the necro. It isn't anything like D2 necro and just ok IMO (D2 necro was my favorite as well, just play witch doctor :v:).

It makes me so sad to agree on this. I hope Diablo 4 brings back the necromancer to pet army. The current '2 minute cooldown to shoot spears' or '6 second spell that looks like a pet' options just feel bad to me. Lazymancer doesn't feel anything like a necro, but it lets me play one without having to spam a button, or make me wait 1-2 minutes to be able to do anything.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's the downside to them remaking the Necro as Witch Doctor and then being strongarmed into adding something called a Necromancer

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I can accept the skeletal mage being a short duration spell but I don't know who thought doing stuff for 15s every 2 minutes is a fun mechanic. It's just so awful to play.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's the downside to them remaking the Necro as Witch Doctor and then being strongarmed into adding something called a Necromancer

They hosed up the one reason people liked necros in D2 (pet builds) in the first place. Then made the other builds lackluster and not fun, too. I appreciate that they tried to do something different with the trang's set but yeah the whole cooldown thing is a killer. They could have easily made the pet build play similar to WD and I don't think there would have been as many complaints as there are with the current version.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Welp, thanks for saving me 15 bucks then. The Crusader was going to be my n.2 choice anyway, so might as well.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

I've been out of the loop since the first 6 months of the original release. Didn't love the game at the time, AH and loot felt not great. I keep reading though that Diablo 3 in 2018 is amazing and totally different. Is it worth trying again, or is that just marketing? Anybody else got fed up of the original implementation and got sucked in on a post-patch second try?

I played from launch day up to RoS launch to play a Crusader through A5 once and then quit. I then came back at the end of season 8 and really jumped in at Season 9. I had far too many hours put into vanilla before burning out and dropping it.

The game is nothing like it was during vanilla in every way for the better now. It is hard to even recognize them as the same game and the game is in a very very very good place now.

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!
I *hate* Skeletal Mages. I never feel like I can get enough of them up. They always go away before I can get all 10 up and it's just an incredibly repetitive and stressful way to play. It feels like the gameplay equivalent of having to manually use windshield wipers. I don't know why they couldn't have had a single rune make the skeletal mages last forever. They'd still be weaker than the singularity rune for people that want to min/max.

Pestilence looks cool, but the cooldown focused gameplay is one of the worst parts of D3. The only build I like (bonestorm) plays more like a Hurricane Druid in D2, and is too weak to push with.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

WarMECH posted:

Make a seasonal Barbarian.

Kill all the things with giant fuckoff weapons while he she yells the best lines in the game.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah if you don't play as Adele I don't know what to even tell you

5er
Jun 1, 2000

On a barb, getting 4 Raekors was phenomenal. It was the first time I was able to hold my own at Torment IV and knock out the chapter to get the rest of the gift set, without having to grind a bit more for other legendary slot items first. 6 Raekor is genuinely a lot of fun. I have two pieces of gear that contribute to seismic slam, so I'm still rolling with that, I'd say my damage output might even be ready for TX.
But! I'm soooo loving squishy! I really wouldn't have expected it. I *could* raise the torment level if I didn't mind getting one-shot over and over with a mortar group, or if I had the misfortune to not burn down a fire chains champ pack before one touch clotheslined me, or even the graze of an arcane discoball hosed me up instantly. I'm stuck at T6 and treading water until I get some better gear. I don't feel like I had this problem with any other class... even DH, which feels like the most glass of cannons I've played.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I've been grinding for that barb damage reduction ring and having no luck. Once you get it you will be way tankier

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Same I'm doing T9 rifts in 5 minutes but will just randomly die to things I don't even notice. Also one shotting all elite packs and rift bosses.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

I've been grinding for that barb damage reduction ring and having no luck. Once you get it you will be way tankier

Make a level 1 barb and gamble rings. You can only get the dmg reduction ring (Band of Might) or Leoric's Signet. It's probably your best shot.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Thorg posted:

I *hate* Skeletal Mages. I never feel like I can get enough of them up. They always go away before I can get all 10 up and it's just an incredibly repetitive and stressful way to play. It feels like the gameplay equivalent of having to manually use windshield wipers. I don't know why they couldn't have had a single rune make the skeletal mages last forever. They'd still be weaker than the singularity rune for people that want to min/max.

Pestilence looks cool, but the cooldown focused gameplay is one of the worst parts of D3. The only build I like (bonestorm) plays more like a Hurricane Druid in D2, and is too weak to push with.
I was kinda hoping for an equivalent of the D2 Bone Spear builds, and I hate Corpse Lance even more than Skeletal Mages, so the closest I could come that was even close to viable was this poo poo.

They really need to rethink the Necromancer sets, but a total of about two people work on D3 now so I'm not holding out much hope.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

DrSeRRoD posted:

Make a level 1 barb and gamble rings. You can only get the dmg reduction ring (Band of Might) or Leoric's Signet. It's probably your best shot.

I did not know this! Thank you sir!

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

I did not know this! Thank you sir!

You're welcome!

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DrSeRRoD posted:

Grateful! Looking forward to flipping back and forth about six times farming shards before this succeeds.

edit: god drat, success within 600 shards spent.

5er fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 20, 2018

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Can i only get one season set per season from Haedrig's gifts?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SHISHKABOB posted:

Correct. But once you got that set, once you built your dude up strong enough, you should be able to branch out to other classes and gamble or earn up suits more quick than a vanilla start.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yes.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DrSeRRoD posted:

You're welcome!

Haha, now I've reversed from being able to take hits but my damage output's needing work.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Necromancer is actually really cool and fun, it’s just that Land of the Dead is like Akarat’s Champion, in that every build of all 4 sets is objectively better for its inclusion

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The icy veins barbarian guide doesn’t include a resource generating skill. How am I supposed to have fury to spend without generating it?

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

RCarr posted:

The icy veins barbarian guide doesn’t include a resource generating skill. How am I supposed to have fury to spend without generating it?

Use the ABC's. Always Be Charging.

Also don't follow guides to the letter until you get all your other gear.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Kaustik posted:

Use the ABC's. Always Be Charging.

Also don't follow guides to the letter until you get all your other gear.
Well, don't ALWAYS be charging. Be charging anytime you can hit exactly one enemy or 4+ enemies (maybe 3+? I think it depends on CDR).

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Also Barbs have an auto-generate Wrath passive so they don't really need resource generators.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just asking willy-nilly, having touched neither, Witch Doctor or Wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Wizard . Work toward talk rasha and nuke things with meteors.