Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Tenzarin posted:

So convoluted. I guess they planned him to go to a high school party and also the party would also be baking a cake with nuts. And this family doesn't have an epipen.

And what if Anakin had juked left instead of right and Count Dooku had killed him?? Palpatine's whole plan would be hosed then!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Tenzarin posted:

So convoluted. I guess they planned him to go to a high school party and also the party would also be baking a cake with nuts. And this family doesn't have an epipen.

sorry the movie about a demonic cult is a little farfetched for you

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i just assumed the demon or whatever rolled the window down and stuck his head out on purpose. if the possessed mom can straight up lop her own head off why wouldnt the possessed girl be able to do something

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The demon was not aware it was a demon---it legitimately believed it was an adolescent girl with a peanut allergy.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

How is it convoluted if the premise of witchcraft/voodoo/black magic is that things can be made to come to pass?

Also that sigil reveal on the power pole is almost directly lifted from an X-Files episode.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0yXBpD2CWw

curlys gold fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 18, 2018

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Here, paint this thing on the telephone pole"
"Ok"
"And bake this cake"
"Sure"
"Hey, it worked!"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

curlys gold posted:

How is it convoluted if the premise of witchcraft/voodoo/black magic is that things can be made to come to pass?

Also that sigil reveal on the power pole is almost directly lifted from an X-Files episode.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0yXBpD2CWw

Yeah I think it’s a mistake to assume that the coven is plotting out their schemes to that granular of detail. I think they cast their spells or whatever and the forces at be manifest in ways that seem coincidental. Like maybe the light pole was picked as the instrument of destruction, but they had no idea how it would exactly play out.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I think it’s a mistake to assume that the coven is plotting out their schemes to that granular of detail. I think they cast their spells or whatever and the forces at be manifest in ways that seem coincidental. Like maybe the light pole was picked as the instrument of destruction, but they had no idea how it would exactly play out.

Yeah this is the sense I get too. It explains the scene where Annie threw the sketchbook into the flames, but Peter caught fire. I watched the scene with the "rule" established in my head that the person who sets the book on fire catches fire themselves, so my expectation (and, I imagine, the cult's plan) was that Annie would manipulate Peter into doing it and receiving the punishment. But then he gets fed up and says gently caress this poo poo, Annie rips the book from his hands and chucks it into the fireplace, and...Peter catches fire anyway. It's like the outcome was pre-ordained and the series of events that got us there is almost irrelevant.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

acksplode posted:

It's like the outcome was pre-ordained and the series of events that got us there is almost irrelevant.

Which is, of course, one of the very first things the movie spells out for you.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

acksplode posted:

Yeah this is the sense I get too. It explains the scene where Annie threw the sketchbook into the flames, but Peter caught fire. I watched the scene with the "rule" established in my head that the person who sets the book on fire catches fire themselves, so my expectation (and, I imagine, the cult's plan) was that Annie would manipulate Peter into doing it and receiving the punishment. But then he gets fed up and says gently caress this poo poo, Annie rips the book from his hands and chucks it into the fireplace, and...Peter catches fire anyway. It's like the outcome was pre-ordained and the series of events that got us there is almost irrelevant.

You mean the movie does things completely random and then leave it up for the audience to make up the entire backstory in their heads?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You mean the movie does things completely random and then leave it up for the audience to make up the entire backstory in their heads?

It just follows hooky spooky occultism* logic. A Dark Song also follows this from the point of view of the people casting the spells, if you want to see how the sausage is really made.

*disclaimer: I don’t actually know anything about hooky spooky occult bs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Sketchbook fire talk:

Anne's first attempt to burn the book was a dream while sleep-walking. She's alone in that attempt, no one sees it. The 2nd attempt where her husband died was waking life.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Movie definitely has some really funny parts.

Like Toni Collette saying "Why would he get offended, it's a neutral view of the accident?" while painting her own daughter's decapitation scene and also the way Ann Dowd snaps "WHAT?" when Collette asks to stop the seance.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

The demon was not aware it was a demon---it legitimately believed it was an adolescent girl with a peanut allergy.

Looking back at it (and taking a literal approach and leaving aside all the psychology/unreliable narrator stuff) this is really interesting.

It's clear that Paimon has been inhabiting Charlie since she was very young - Annie says she never cried even when she was a baby, and we're told Grandma & co didn't have access to Peter when he was young, otherwise they would have used him. Joan yelling "cast you out" at Peter from across the road implies that maybe they can weaken or evict the original spirit before Paimon settles in; so maybe baby Actual Charlie didn't stand a chance.

So then Charlie dies and Paimon becomes disembodied again. We next see Charlie/Paimon briefly possessing Annie during the seance and being clearly distressed, upset and confused, wondering what's going on and why everyone's frightened (I think she even asks where she is?). This is pretty different behaviour from when Annie's body is possessed after the burning and she immediately turns into a flying, head-banging terror demon. Which is different again from when Peter is possessed after jumping from the window - and that's definitely Charlie/Paimon because he starts making the clicks. He passively climbs up into the treehouse and doesn't look anything except blank or despondent when seeing the worshippers.

So my take is that Annie's possession after the fire isn't actually Paimon, it's Grandma. Which would also mean that at no point does Paimon behave malevolently; it's just some confused spirit entity from another realm which has been corralled by this cult for their own purposes.

(The one thing against this is that it's confusing that Annie/Grandma cuts her head off and then the blue light goes towards Peter, which implies it's Paimon switching bodies; but the blue light is also seen by Charlie when Paimon's already in her, so what's with that?)

^^^ edit - it's a mark of how good this movie is that I just wrote that many paragraphs trying to analyse something which sounds like a dumbshit straight-to-TV schlockfest.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 19, 2018

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Here, paint this thing on the telephone pole"
"Ok"
"And bake this cake"
"Sure"
"Hey, it worked!"

Pahaha!

I feel like my expectations were so high going in, it's a flaw I'm very self-aware of but once boarding the HYPE TRAIN it's hard not to be disappointed in this. There's like two good scares, a little bit of gnarly gore and a whole load of melodrama that produces some engaging performances; but the plot is loving shite. To compare this to Kill List feels like a dagger in my side, loving hell.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Charlie was never possessed by Paimon - Charlie IS Paimon.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

BisonDollah posted:

but the plot is loving shite.

No it’s not

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

BisonDollah posted:

Pahaha!

I feel like my expectations were so high going in, it's a flaw I'm very self-aware of but once boarding the HYPE TRAIN it's hard not to be disappointed in this. There's like two good scares, a little bit of gnarly gore and a whole load of melodrama that produces some engaging performances; but the plot is loving shite. To compare this to Kill List feels like a dagger in my side, loving hell.

i watched kill list again last night actually. that movie's third act is a spiraling mess that, imo, feels less deserved than i remember. it's a good movie but i think hereditary is more interesting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sponges posted:

No it’s not

It feels like a direct to streaming movie with an actual budget

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

sponges posted:

No it’s not

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

To move from family drama with psychological and genetic fear/paranoia to... grandma was in a chocolate coin cult that needs a person with a PENIS~! gently caress me. You can debate and draw diagrams about who was possessed when or what all day, good on ye for enjoying it but personally I find it a bit stupid and completely uninteresting. Just like the movie. At least Kill List was vague enough with the cult stuff and ramped up the silliness for a shock ending rather than the second half of the movie (same with The Last Exorcism), Kill List was more than about family but social class and class movement, the Iraq war, British politics, Conservatives, toxic masculinity, sins of the father, etc - trying to find a deeper meaning, a "GET OUT" reading, of Hereditary is nigh on impossible (for me). At least it doesn't have an offensive disabled deus-ex-machina and faux-outrage at the attack on nuclear family ala The Quiet Place. Maybe I'm just pissed off it wasn't scary and there is a meaning in there I will get on a rewatch in a few years, I dunno. We're posting on the internet isn't this fun?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Len posted:

It feels like a direct to streaming movie with an actual budget

Also talent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's driving me nuts because I thought the entity was named Paiman.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

when peter wakes up for the last time, is it annie or charlie's ghost who is floating in the corner and then crawling through the air while he is looking around?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I really don't feel lile the cult stuff is a weird turn. It seems to be a movie about abuse and the cult stuff lines up with that. Everyone in the family is damaged by the actions of the grandma. They inherit her "mission" through no fault of their own.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

freebooter posted:

(The one thing against this is that it's confusing that Annie/Grandma cuts her head off and then the blue light goes towards Peter, which implies it's Paimon switching bodies; but the blue light is also seen by Charlie when Paimon's already in her, so what's with that?)

Yeah, the white light is what leads Charlie outside to see Grandma surrounded by fire, so it can't be Paimon. My best guess is that it's Grandma acting as a guide. It leads Charlie toward the fire, it leads Peter into the classroom where Paimon takes his first crack at possessing him, and maybe the white light "entering" Peter is her guiding Paimon into his body.

Budget Dracula posted:

when peter wakes up for the last time, is it annie or charlie's ghost who is floating in the corner and then crawling through the air while he is looking around?

It's Annie. Man I love that sequence. I didn't even see her up in the corner when Peter wakes up during my first viewing, so I got a nice new scare on the rewatch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's driving me nuts because I thought the entity was named Paiman.

Common mistake, Paiman is Paimon's first evolution. It goes Paimon -> Paiman -> Paimaking

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
After Peter jumps out of the window, did anyone else see a black shape moving out of his body, before the white light enters? It was subtle enough that I wasn't sure if I really saw it, I figured it was Peter's soul leaving.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Toebone posted:

After Peter jumps out of the window, did anyone else see a black shape moving out of his body, before the white light enters? It was subtle enough that I wasn't sure if I really saw it, I figured it was Peter's soul leaving.

i believe that is the shadow of annie's body floating out of the attic

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Toebone posted:

I saw it that way as well, though Thom may be right, I suppose.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can we talk how funny it was how his mothers headless body flew into the tree house?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

acksplode posted:

It goes Paimon -> Paiman -> Peter

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tenzarin posted:

Can we talk how funny it was how his mothers headless body flew into the tree house?

People don’t realize this is actually a pitch black comedy

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

I could almost hear the creaking of the pulley on the clothesline in that shot

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I wouldn't go that far but it certainly blurs the line between tragedy and comedy, classically speaking.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I genuinely found the first half of this terrifying, but I'll be the first person with a "Queen Leigh Showered with Coins" av the second I find a decent image of it online

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

It was one of the few times I stifled my laughter in the theater. My audience was rapt with horror, so my loud laugh would have tread on their fun.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Kudos to this movie for getting genuine reactions out of the audience I was with. People gasped, groaned, and we got a solid scream at one point.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

We had a dude making the clicking sound from the back row at random and it was annoying as poo poo

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
During the middle hour or so, every time the click happened in the movie at least fifteen people would mimic it right afterwards.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

We had a dude making the clicking sound from the back row at random and it was annoying as poo poo

this sucks in the movies, but i saw a guy do it over the mic at a band's soundcheck the other night. half the crowd went "ooooOOOOOO" all at once and everyone lost it. very well-timed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Did the chocolate cake have nuts in it, or was it just cut with the same knife that was used to cut nuts earlier? I thought I saw nuts IN the cake, but maybe I just imagined that.

This is important.