Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Not precisely a painting question, but applicable in a painting thread anyway:

How long can I leave Forgeworld resin in Simple Green before the Simple Green starts to attack the resin itself? Overnight soak in soapy water, toothbrush, and ultrasonic cleaner bath is not getting off the releasing agent on a few specific models, which I suspect is a function of them having sat in a warehouse for a good long time, giving the release agent a chance to really, really dry and harden.

(Yes, I know Purple Power is better; I can't find it where I live.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

bird food bathtub posted:

When you say Gorilla Glue is it their normal Gorilla Glue or some version of cyanoacrylate that they make? The normal Gorilla Glue expands a lot during drying and I see that causing all sorts of problems.

It was this kind: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IY82FM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please let me know if that was the wrong kind, so I can cancel it if needed.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Max Wilco posted:

It was this kind: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IY82FM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please let me know if that was the wrong kind, so I can cancel it if needed.

That is super glue. You are good.

Just keep it out of your eyes.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
You might want to go to like a dollar store and pick up a package of a hundred toothpicks or something, and use them to apply the superglue instead of applying it straight out of the bottle. Applying superglue straight out of a squeeze-tube is a great way to put too much on.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

dexefiend posted:

Just keep it out of your eyes.

OTOH if you cut your eye you can use it to seal the wound.

you can do that for small finger bites from your hobby knife though

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_83MEuLoz9Y

What was it mother always said about putting salt crazy glue in your eyes?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Badablack posted:

When edge highlighting, remember it’s not just because you’re painting the edges, it’s because you use the edge of the brush to do it.

That's... not actually true I think. The edge of the brush is often what you want to use for edge highlighting but sometimes you really can't, like if you're painting a line down the middle of a double edged sword.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

The Moon Monster posted:

That's... not actually true I think. The edge of the brush is often what you want to use for edge highlighting but sometimes you really can't, like if you're painting a line down the middle of a double edged sword.
If the middle of that sword is raised, I will absolutely use the edge of my brush to highlight it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

how rude

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
Ghosts are fun.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
If you're gluing plastics together and not using Testor's Model Master liquid cement, you should re-evaluate your life choices.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I’ll second the testors, that stuff is wonderful. Thick consistency so it doesn’t run, long needle nozzle for poking where you want it, and a gloss black container that exudes erotic power. Simply beautiful.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
tamiya extra thin cement is better

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

:agreed:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Stephenls posted:

Not precisely a painting question, but applicable in a painting thread anyway:

How long can I leave Forgeworld resin in Simple Green before the Simple Green starts to attack the resin itself? Overnight soak in soapy water, toothbrush, and ultrasonic cleaner bath is not getting off the releasing agent on a few specific models, which I suspect is a function of them having sat in a warehouse for a good long time, giving the release agent a chance to really, really dry and harden.

(Yes, I know Purple Power is better; I can't find it where I live.)

I don't think Simple Green is going to cut it here. You might want to let'em soak in some 90%+ isopropyl alcohol. That should leech most of the release agent off of it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Revell Contacta 4 lyfe :colbert:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Badablack posted:

I’ll second the testors, that stuff is wonderful. Thick consistency so it doesn’t run, long needle nozzle for poking where you want it, and a gloss black container that exudes erotic power. Simply beautiful.

I can't find it with a needle nozzle. Just a thick, plastic nozzle that is terrible.

I got some and while the glue is great, the applicator is garbage.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
brush applicators are superior for gluing models

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Slimnoid posted:

I don't think Simple Green is going to cut it here. You might want to let'em soak in some 90%+ isopropyl alcohol. That should leech most of the release agent off of it.

Do not put Forge World resin in alcohol. It will leech the hardener from it and it'll turn into a floppy mess or just disintegrate.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Slimnoid posted:

No alcohol on Resin! It will make it flimsy!

Edit:
:keke::hf::cheeky:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hidden cache of Tenax-7R and Ambroid Pro-Weld.

Get on my level.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Get on my level.

Which one tastes better?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Get on my level.

Is pro-weld no longer available? I lost a bottle of it when I moved.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

TTerrible posted:

Do not put Forge World resin in alcohol. It will leech the hardener from it and it'll turn into a floppy mess or just disintegrate.

Forgot about that. Whoops.

Yeah I dunno, maybe a degreaser like LA's Totally Awesome?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

https://imgur.com/gallery/XrAVLVy
Star Saga box finally finished (save terrain) and documented. Not going to post all 31 pics ITT but here's three I was pretty happy about :

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Slimnoid posted:

Yeah I dunno, maybe a degreaser like LA's Totally Awesome?

Simple Green is also a degreaser, but apparently their formula sucks for minis now (i.e. it doesn't do much of anything). I have not tested this.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ilor posted:

If the middle of that sword is raised, I will absolutely use the edge of my brush to highlight it.

When I see swords like that it's usually something like a 170 degree angle. So technically a bit raised but it would be very difficult to get a good thin line with the edge of your brush. My point is that there are edges that it's easier to highlight with the tip of your brush, and back when I was learning to edge highlight every video I watched said the same thing.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

First time painting after 3+ years.

Weissritter fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 20, 2018

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
X-postin from the 40k thread

Mikey Purp posted:

Testing out some possible paint colors for my blood angels, any opinions on this?

This is VMC silver with two coats of FW flame red ink. Still getting the hang of the airbrush so the coats are a little rough. In practice I'd try to keep the ink coats a bit thinner to get a tad more metallic look out of it. I'm also thinking about testing over gold, but my guess is that will come out too brown.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
A buddy of mine used Tamiya Clear red over a gold basecoat for his scourge ships, it turned out really well and not brown at all. I'd recommend doing a test piece at least.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

BlackIronHeart posted:

If you're gluing plastics together and not using Testor's Model Master liquid cement, you should re-evaluate your life choices.

I was going to order that, but it was like $8, and I wasn't sure if it was a good choice when starting out.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Tamiya clear paints are not water-based, right? I use a hood for airbrushing but don't actually vent it outside, which I'm cool with when just doing water-based acrylics but there's legit organic solvents in the tamiya stuff, isn't there?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

bonds0097 posted:

Tamiya clear paints are not water-based, right? I use a hood for airbrushing but don't actually vent it outside, which I'm cool with when just doing water-based acrylics but there's legit organic solvents in the tamiya stuff, isn't there?

They are indeed alcohol based. I believe they can be thinned to a certain extent with water, but still breaks down fairly quickly.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

Yes, you need to use x-20a thinner and if you're not venting outside should probably wear a mask.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/XrAVLVy
Star Saga box finally finished (save terrain) and documented. Not going to post all 31 pics ITT but here's three I was pretty happy about :

These are pretty good, but they would look 10 times better with finished bases.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Booley posted:

Yes, you need to use x-20a thinner and if you're not venting outside should probably wear a mask.

Oh, for sure. I use P100 filters rated for organic vapors and replace them every 60 days or so (pretty sure I average less than an hour of airbrushing a day).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Booyah- posted:

These are pretty good, but they would look 10 times better with finished bases.

The Star Saga box comes with a ton of terrain; I want to get it painted first, then return to the models and give them appropriate bases.

This is wave one of I believe three waves of miniatures in the kickstarter; when Wave Two comes I'l be returning to the terrain first and foremost. For now I'm working on basing my Inceptors and LotD.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 20, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Okay...

So I got the primer and super glue today, and I picked up a flush cutter and some detail brushes while I was at WalMart. I think I should be ready to prime the model.

I also had these larger brushes, which I thought might be useful for priming the whole model a lot faster.

What I want to know is how to apply the primer. Do I need to thin in water like I would with paint, and should I use one of those larger brushes, or should I one of the smaller ones in the pack I bought?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Okay...

So I got the primer and super glue today, and I picked up a flush cutter and some detail brushes while I was at WalMart. I think I should be ready to prime the model.

I also had these larger brushes, which I thought might be useful for priming the whole model a lot faster.

What I want to know is how to apply the primer. Do I need to thin in water like I would with paint, and should I use one of those larger brushes, or should I one of the smaller ones in the pack I bought?

You don't need to thin the primer, but when you apply it you need to make sure it doesn't pool too much in the recesses. If one of your smaller brushes has a large flat edge that would be ideal for applying it. Also there will be hella brush strokes because it's not very thick, but that's fine, you just need the thin layer to help the base coat adhere next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
The Vallejo surface primer shrinks when it dries, so don't be afraid to slather it on unthinned. Just use a clean brush to soak up any excess after it's completely covered.